Ristorante Da Mario
14441 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Ristorante Da Mario
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ristorantedamario.com/
- Phone: 4087411518
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Daily: 5:00PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Sandro Costanza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music with Pasquale Esposito, first Thursday of the month. Live jazz music on Saturdays
A word from Ristorante Da Mario
Authentic Southern Italian Restaurant, Chef owners Sandro and Mario provide excellent food and ambiance old world style.Very dedicated to details , prompt service is a complement to outstanding food and wines. We have live music on Saturdays and various events throughout the year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ristorante Da Mario - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
Ristorante Da Mario reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)romantic (16)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Food was terrible, service worse.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Reservation was for party of 8 at 7 pm. 1/2 of our party got lost & were 40 min late. We ordered a bottle of wine & Bruschetta while waiting. Neither came until the rest of our party showed up. Should've been a sign! We never could flag down our waiter. Food arrived at 10 min to 9!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! I used to be a food server & am very tolerant. This is the 2nd time in my life I left no tip, not sure what the rest of my party did. Will never return-
- dinetowineDined on 8/2/2014We've been to De Mario's several times. They have very good Italian Food. They said they were going to add new items to the menu, which sounded good. The service was good. Its a small restaurant in the town of Saratoga which is a very relaxing place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gnochi!DGMADined on 7/31/2014I've been going to Da Mario for years and have found the food to be very good, especially their gnochi with gorgonzolla. The staff provides great service and are very friendly. I love coming to this restaurant before going to a concert either at the Mountain Winery or Villa Montalvo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place!IdratherbenihanaDined on 7/14/2014The food was DELICIOUS & staff was great!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the Caesar saladClydesdaleDined on 7/10/2014The dressing on the Caesar salad was wonderful; spicy and not too thick. Large shreds of cheese that seemed milder than Parmesian and moister; don't know what type of cheese, but very good. The server offered to split the salad onto 2 plates (no extra charge, which was nice). I had the penne with salmon and my husband had the lasagna, and both were very good. They were out of the Pinot Noir we wanted, and the server suggested a wine I had never heard of, Malaspina Palikos, which was wonderful. I'd like to buy some for home, but the only place I have found it for sale is a shop in SF. Unfortunately, the only non-pasta fish dish they have is Cioppino di Pesce. A sauteed fish dish would be a good addition to their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good- service badAnotherunhappydinerDined on 6/28/2014Been there before but no more...they do not honor reservations,waited 30 min to be seated,then waited and waited.Food is good but service very bad...the shining star is a young girl that busses tables and helps serve dinners,she seems overworked and continually apologizes saying someone will be right with you,she knows something is wrong but waiters don't get it. read Yelp or Tripadvisor the Bad reviews say it all...pick a restaurant that wants your business,there are plenty of them..
- Unhappy dining experienceSandyDined on 6/18/2014When I made the reservation on Open Table I wrote that we were going to eat there for our 26th Wedding Anniversary but at the restaurant they took no notice of it. We were expecting something free but an acknowledgement would've been appreciated. We ate there on a Wednesday evening and the restaurant had only a few tables that had diners so they weren't very busy. Our server wasn't very attentive to our needs. We had to ask him for certain things. He never asked us how things were going and if we needed anything. The food tasted great but the service was sorely lacking. Also, we eat out frequently and NEVER have we had to pay $3.00 so we could have an additional serving of bread
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2014The restaurant is small, warm, and inviting. Service is exceptional.....personalized and friendly. The food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME to take Mom and Gfscottdaws9Dined on 6/13/2014So I took my mom and my girlfriend. This was my girlfriends favorite restaurant (yes I was trying to make a good impression). G/F and I arrived earlier than mom, sat at the tiny bar opened our bottle of Prosecco. Mom arrived, brought our bottle to our table. Our server was cool, not extreamly knowledgeable about the menu but knew the specials, which we're amazing!!! The Salmon that night was unforgetable! The owner of this Italian restaurant is chill, and just wants everyone to enjoy there time. You can sit there and enjoy mediocre music from a piano/keyboarding playing musician and horrible yet enjoyable dancing. We danced ( mom and I and g/f and I). Oh and some elderly Italian couple.Special Features:
- great ItalianSam22Dined on 6/12/2014Great home-made Italian food. We had Chicken Piccatta and canneloni and it was perfecto.Special Features:
- A little bit of Italy,Saratoga, CAAndiamo2manghiaDined on 6/11/2014Here is a reataurant, yes, may be similiar to others for its menu.. Italian delights.. but one would probably agree.. the service, and attention is well above the average. The staff is tuned in to the client! The menu has great choices for tradtional dishes, the specials are specials not simply repeats.. Not the longest woines list// however.. the choices are representative of a variety of good wines! So, you might not want to cook this evening.. ortomorrow.. well, Ristorante Da Mario will welcome you and you should find a pleasant aabd palatble evening awaiting.Special Features:
- anumDined on 6/6/2014Great food..try the gnocchi, swordfish, chicken pasta and lasagna and tiramisuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeHappy2dineoutDined on 6/6/2014A definite find in Saratoga. The food is great! Homemade pastas, elegant dishes, great ambiance. I tried the tartufo dessert for the first time - it's my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/3/2014The food was disappointing. I had read the reviews and expected more. The Bruschetta was good, but my gnocchi in the tomato sauce was bland and flavorless. My husband had the Cioppino and again found it not very flavorful. The tiramasu was very good. For the money, we felt the food was not a s good as it should have been.
- Exceeded ExpectionsJeffDined on 6/2/2014I saw some low reviews on Yelp, and that made me a little cautious. We had dinner early, with a 5pm seating. Service was outstanding, the food was terrific and the ambiance was wonderful. I will visit again.Special Features:
- CasualDinerDined on 5/10/2014We were among the first for dinner and it took over 45 minutes to get our appetizers. The response for the slow service was like "so what". Given the food was not that impressive, I would not go again.
- Always enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Find this gem great for consistency of food, service and overall enjoyment.Special Features:
- Upscale, solid italian cookingCarpeDiemVIPDined on 4/24/2014Service can be a little unpredictable, but I do not come here to get aggravated, just drink more wine and surf the ipad if things are slow. Love their veal, gnocchi, dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 277 reviews are from the Ristorante Da Mario reviews archive.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2014I met with a colleague for dinner last Friday, and it was perfect! Delicious food, great wait staff. There was loud music, but we requested a quiet table in the back, so the sound level was no problem. I'd recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Village sweet spotMonicaroseDined on 3/13/2014DA Mario is a consistently yummy place for dinner. Their specials knock it out of the ball park. I enjoyed our romantic table and the live music added charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My second time here. HappyAnneDined on 3/1/2014My second time here. Happy with food, wine and service both times. I like that it is small and intimate. First time we were seated in the back. This time we were seated in the middle next to the bar. I prefer the back. There was one man at the bar that was kind of loud. First time a friend treated me this time used a Groupon. I had the soup of the day both times, delicious both times. Veal Scallopini and Mushroom Ravioli are both great. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night choiceMoulardVIPDined on 3/1/2014We come back to Da Mario when we want a guaranteed nice meal with a warm atmosphere. My husband ordered the fettuccine with seafood and I had the orecchiette with pancetta, etc. All was delicious and the wine selection is always so complementary to the meals. It feels like a neighborhood family restaurant and that you are having dinner amongst friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2014I had a pork shoulder that was a wonderful blend of the meats flavor and an artful glaze. I seriously thought about having a second plate. The waiter was patient and attentive. This is a very nice local trattoria .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDedeDined on 2/21/2014Like the song, this place put a smile on your face. The piano player with his romantic and lively songs, the servers who were genuinely hospitable and the food that tasted like it came right from an Italian kitchen...fresh and delicious I would highly recommend this little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Saratoga!MrEatsOutALotDined on 2/15/2014Ristorante Da Mario is tucked in along Big Basin Way in downtown Saratoga and if you blink you might pass it by. The menu is straight out of Italy and reminds us of the food we eat in Italian restaurants when traveling in Italy. If you are looking for Americanized Italian cooking (aka spaghetti & meatballs or a cheese ladened plate of linguini) don't come here. If you want gourmet at very reasonable prices with excellent service, go check it out. They have a small live quartet on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the dinnerDamoDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentine's Day, was a little disappointed with the smaller menu, but my wife's fish and my oso buco were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Da MarioJoyOfTastingDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's Day dinner at Da Mario was great. Don't let the name fool you, there are no little men with red hats and mustaches running amok. We had the Arugula salad with candied walnuts and ricotta. The greens were tiny and very mild, not bitter. I had the lamb chops and they were cooked to a perfect medium-well and were seasoned with garlic and herbs. My husband had the linguini with lobster and shrimp. Very good in a marinara-cream sauce. He is a fisherman and VERY picky about his seafood, so it gets a really good, not quite perfect. A definite recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- general overviewsyldDined on 1/23/2014Service was very good. Food was nothing very special-passable restaurant fare. Good presentation. Stone flooring made noise level higher than moderate. Ground pepper was not offered for salad. Grated cheese was not offered for pasta. Had to be requested.
- Wonderful time.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/12/2014Our family went to dinner to celebrate a couple of birthdays, the dinner was delicious and the service excellent. They treated us like family and we had a great time, definitely will go back.Special Features:
- We eat there often --- theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/11/2014We eat there often --- the food is always good, authentic Italian food --- and the service is excellent -- entertaining and gracious --- and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Worst experience ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/30/2013We had to ask for our drink order after waiting for 15 minutes and then had to ask about our food after waiting for 45 minutes. It was 1 hour after ordering that we finally got our food! To make it worse, rather than apologize for making a mistake on our oder, the waiter made up some lame excuse about the kitchen being backed up when there were only 4 small tables occupied in the entire restaurant. We were not told that they were serving broccoli as sides to our entres when we odered a side of broccolini, so we had way too much broccoli with our meal, and all of them were way over cooked. A most dissapointing $100 meal for 3 people! I used to think this is a local spot with good food, but after this experince I will not go back again.
- UnhsppyUnhappyDined on 12/26/2013The service was poor, it took forever to get our food, we even informed the waiter we had a flight to get , The food was nothing exceptional for the price. It was over priced. Than when I paid the check I was waiting for my change, it never came, I told my friend let's just leave, As we we leaving we noticed the waiter was just leaning against the bar, I informed my friend that I would never return to this "place". If you want overpriced food, poor service and no change back , than go.
- This is Italian !NoodlesDined on 12/22/2013I've been to a lot of italian restaurants from San Frnacisco to New York...but some of the best are not always in the big city. I love this restaurant because it is lively yet relaxing, stimulating yet quiet...the food is superb, authenic. The wait staff isfirst class, andmeal presentation impressive. Good food takes time to prepare yet I have never felt like I was waiting for anything...the ambienacve, service, wine, and friendliness creates a feeling of joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun on a Friday NightLorenzaDined on 12/20/2013The food here is always excellent & authentic. The staff is always friendly & they make you feel like family. I have been there with and without live music, so disregard the noise level rating (it was required) because it depends on whether or not there is live music. If not, the noise level is low. If there IS music, the noise level is high. But the music is fun and we were encouraged to sing & dance. The owner even sang a few songs! Very lively and in great spirits for holiday time. I don't normally like live music in a restaurant because it's hard to talk, but this was actually fun. If you prefer it to be quiet, inquire about which nights they have a musician when you make your reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for LunchvalliDined on 12/16/2013I have eaten here for lunch several times with girlfriends and the food is always good as well as their prices. Service is normally good. Good value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2013Reviews panned out :) Petroleum sole was light, flavorful, perfectly cooked, beautifully prepared dish. Pork ribs with Gemelli presented good but somewhat underdone pasta to our taste. Ribs were wonderful. Carpaccio was very generously portioned. Bread fresh. Service was that kind of knowledgeable and prompt but not hovering kind. Walls and art are a bit dated but nice. GO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soBlankDined on 12/14/2013Our food was not hot enough so we asked for it to be heated up more. Then we waited ages for it to come back and when we received it back mine was only fractionally hotter and my husband's was exactly the same temperature. Disappointing.
- Great ambianceJRGomezDined on 12/13/2013Food and service are good, real feel of Italy from staff and food Musician playing when we had dinner was very good and created a very enjoyable environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealvth1Dined on 12/3/2013Good food, nice atmosphere. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite Italian placesLauraVIPDined on 11/29/2013We always enjoy our dinners at Ristorante di Mario. The food is consistently good, there is usually music, and the waiter really knows his wines! We had a relaxing family dinner, never felt rushed, and stayed for dessert (not to be missed)!Special Features: