2900 Route 10 West
Powder Mill Plaza
Morris Plains, NJ 07950Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ristorantecivile.com/
- Phone: (973) 998-7790
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Served: Wednesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner Served: Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday 5pm-10pm Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Pre fixe Menu: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00 - 6:00pm Closed Monday & Tuesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Continental, Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Civile
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Ask us about catering services!
A word from Ristorante Civile
WE WELCOME YOU TO RISTORANTE CIVILE! Come and enjoy fine contemporary Italian cuisine in a comfortable and elegant setting. All dishes are prepared to order. Our seasoned and professional staff are looking forward to serving you with class and style.Continued
In addition to our full service dining room, we offer al fresco dining in a Tuscany-like setting.
In addition to our full service dining room, we offer al fresco dining in a Tuscany-like setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristorante Civile reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (31)great for outdoor dining (27)special occasion (22)good for groups (12)romantic (11)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- Neighborhood GEM4TTOODDined on 11/16/2014Creative menu and well-executed dishes; pleasant, knowledgeable wait staff; BYO; attractive surroundings/ambiance; moderate noise level, which allows you to actually converse with your dinner guests... what more could I ask for in a neighborhood restaurant? I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv to DineLuv2dineVIPDined on 11/1/2014This should be the top rated Italian Restaurant in the state. The owner is totally focused on the quality of your dining experience and the help is both informative and attentive. Our food was terrific and I could dine here several nights each week. Bravo to owners, the chief and the help of this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Civile is a vibrant and we'll run restaurant w great food and service. We'll go oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, Creative Italian FareMorrisCountyDinerDined on 10/18/2014We have dined at Civile about 5 or 6 times and each time seems better than the last. The daily specials are very different and appealing than at most other restaurants we have eaten at. Being a BYOB makes it great from a cost standpoint. Service has improved each time we have been at Civile and is now nearly superb. My only very small complaint is the noise leve could be a little lower but the great food more than compensates for that.Special Features:
- RC Continues to PleaseLuv2eatVIPDined on 10/11/2014We have been to this BYO many times and it is always consistently good. The owner, Tom, aims to please and makes all of his diners feel important while he tries to oversee that their dining experience is an excellent one. The restaurant is such a pretty place and the portions are abundant. I usually have fish but this time I opted for the veal chop. It was awesome. So there is a large variety from which to choose and everything is top notch. This is a definitely go-to-restaurant. You will enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for fine Italian foodRonamarkDined on 10/11/2014We have been here several times. The food is very good, ambiance excellent and the service was attentive. My one complaint would be the menu is not changed often enough. I love diver scallops but they could change the preparation or the corn relish. Perhaps review of the menu with more seasonal offerings. That said, it's one of the best Italian bistros in the area.Special Features:
- wayneVIPDined on 10/11/2014Having been to this restaurant several times,it has always been spot on.Regardless of the day of the week,the food is consistent as is the service.Additionally, the host/owner is cordial and helpful to make your dinning pleasurable.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemjofitzVIPDined on 10/9/2014I have gone several times with friends and must say the food is awesome. It's like having a New York restaurant in the heart of Morris County without having to deal with parking! I had the osso buco and it was literally falling off the bone. Delish! The owner Tom comes to each table to ask if you're enjoying the meal. A nice warm feeling.Special Features:
- NoiseJaniceDined on 10/4/2014The noise level is so high. Not conducive to any conversation. Eat and leave. The food and service were good, however the salad was a disappointment. Supposed to have olives tomatoes cheese which were negligible. thought I had the wrong salad. Waiter said that was the correct salad. The noise level was a huge turn off.Special Features:
- Nice Local Restaurant with ambiencegvdoc7Dined on 10/4/2014Very nice restaurant with very nice atmosphere......Friendly and efficient waiters and others......good quality was very good.....presentation was also very good.....Noise level when crowded a bit high but nothing you can do about that when people are having a good time.....Overall...a definite must to visit and enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningbirdsthewordVIPDined on 9/27/2014We met friends who drove 2 hours from PA. to try the restaurant. The meal did not disappoint. All the salads, 2 wedge, 1 Caesar, 1 endive were crisp, fresh and perfectly dressed. Fresh mozzarella and tomato appetizer was also delicious. Entrees, pan seared scallops over corn salad, veal Marsala and rack of pork were delicious. My only suggestion about ordering the pork rack is to have the chops cut in two. While the meat was savory and cooked to perfection, I had a difficult time slicing the large portion into bite size pieces. Cappuccinos, coffee and 2 cannoli (their cream filling is the best) ended a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FORGETFUL WAITERNancyDined on 9/27/2014This was our first time here. They start you off with complimentary cheese and olives which was excellent and very nice bread basket. The food was very good. Lots of choices. Whatever we asked for we had to ask at least two times sometimes three. This was after we could find him or anybody and get their attention. Sometimes didnt get it at all. Definitely need more servers. We had reservations for 6:30 and the restaurant was quiet but by 7:30 it was deafening. Weather permitting, we would definitely sit outside. It was very pretty and seemed much quieter. I would give this restaurant a second chance but during the week.Special Features:
- Great FindrsfoodreviewVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food and service is very good. Tom is a great restaurant owner he is friendly and even knows if you have been in the restaurant before. It is very rare these days that anyone is even paying attention to their customers!! We have already planned to have our New Year's Eve dinner at Ristorante Civile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Perfunctory serviceexchefDined on 9/12/2014Highly recommend the booths as dining area very noisy. Enjoyed food but found waiter distant ,just doing what was necessary. He didn't seem familiar with the menu and didn't recommend dessert. I would have liked to see the dessert tray . I was going to skip dessert but I like to see what is offered anyway. He seemed glad to send us on our way. Lots of greeting s when you arrive but after that the service people seem dis interested.exSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulbirdsthewordVIPDined on 8/30/2014Tom Civile has created a beautiful restaurant setting in a strip mall environment. His "devil is in the details" attention carries from the decor right through to the wonderful food he presents. The olives and parmesano reggiano presentation with flat breads and semolina breads is delightful. The romaine wedge salad was crisp and flavorful, smoked salmon and trout appetizer special was right on point. Entrees of scallops over corn salad was wonderful and tasty. My shrimp over cannellini beans and mushroom was very savory comfort food. The salmon entree was cooked to perfection as was the penne puttanesca. Don't hesitate to order the biscotti with a cappuccino for a great finish to a superb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate experience.jdnjDined on 8/23/2014The food and service were excellent. The pace of dinner was also spot on. Very attentive and professional staff - overall a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianBentleybobDined on 8/13/2014Good menu, first class presentation, well trained staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FloParkDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is perfection! We have never been disappointed in the food. If it's just the two of you, ask to be seated in a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemLocalFolksDined on 8/3/2014We tried Ristorante Civile on a recommendation,so glad we did. Outstanding! The stuffed calamari was fork-tender, the seafood filling substantial and superb. New Zealand mussels w/crisp bacon and Porcini mushrooms drizzled w/a delicate sauce of light cream...heavenly. All four entrees were wonderful, as were the desserts. The owner, Tom Civile, graciously greeted us as if we were long-time patrons which made the four of us feel special, and later came to our table to ask how things were. Impressive. Says a lot about how he runs his business. This was a going-away dinner evening for my sister and her husband and we wanted it to be special. Needless to say we were NOT disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripBoston56Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food, wait staff , best I have seen and the owner Tom hues out of his way to make sure your happy.. Good experience and plan on going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014Best Restaurant in the area and the owner Tom Civile is very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazesFLFanaticVIPDined on 7/27/2014This place never disappoints. Part of the magic is in the atmosphere...the owner's interaction both with patrons and staff really makes you feel as though you're in the home of a dear friend or family member who just happens to serve fantastic food! It's better than Disney...everyone in the building is smiling and happy. Add that to the chef's talent, imagination and use of fresh ingredients and you've got a winning combination.Special Features:
- A CharmerViejoMajaderoVIPDined on 7/27/2014Have been to Civile 4 times now. Each visit has been very enjoyable. My last visit dining outside was spectacular. We interacted with others dining alfresco and really got the sense of a family atmosphere. We chatted with another table that arrived later than we did and ended up sitting down with them for another hour. Great food, fabulous host, new friends, what more can one ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitbirdsthewordVIPDined on 7/26/2014We often dined at the old Civiles in Kenilworth, so we were anxious to plan a visit to Morris Plains. Tom greeted us at the door and was ever present throughout the entire evening. The staff was attentive and considerate as they took our order and often refreshed our water and wine. A plate of parmigiano reggiano with mixed olives was presented along with a beautiful assortment of flat breads and Italian breads. We enjoyed a tender eggplant rollatine in a plum tomato sauce and a seafood salad that was cooked to perfection and piled high in a martini glass. Filet mignon, medium rare came with a medley of beautifully presented vegetables. Scallops over a fresh corn and tomato salad were fork tender and delicious. We will return with family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the Ristorante Civile reviews archive.
- Special DiningBentleybobDined on 7/24/2014This is one of the new gems in the Morris County area. We will, without a doubt, return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First less-than-great experience...Jaz000VIPDined on 7/12/2014We've dined here about a half-dozen times and always had a stellar meal with great service. This time -- I'm not sure if it was the weather or the full moon or a sign that the restaurant is increasingly popular -- the wait staff was unable to keep up with the demand. It was busy and we were seated outdoors. We were provided two different sized wine glasses for our bottle, and it took 5 mins. for someone to open it. Another 5 for the menus, then about 10 minutes before our order was taken. Parmigiano, usually brought upon seating, was delivered just before our appetizer, and only upon request. Clearly our waiter was overwhelmed and our experience suffered. The food was good, but the staff needs training in handling busier times.
- Awesome FoodJillNDined on 7/12/2014We had never been to Ristorante Civile and cannot wait to come back. The Veal Chop Parmesan and the regular Veal Chop were AMAZING!Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseNostoveathomeVIPDined on 7/12/2014From the service ...to the food ... to the menu ... this restaurant will not disappoint. This was our first visit and we'll definitely return.Special Features:
- A great italian dinnerManuelDined on 7/11/2014Very good italian food. The mussels and red snapper where extraordinary and the owner was very kind and doing more than he should to make us feel comfortable. Great dinner. Will be back!Special Features:
- Always Top NotchFLFanaticVIPDined on 7/6/2014As always, Civile does not disappoint. From the initial greeting from owner Tom Civile through the interaction with the professional and friendly wait staff, the serving of the amazing food (try any of the fish dishes...the chef really knows his way around all kinds of seafood), the unrushed coffee and dessert service the key lime pie is the best I've had since moving to NJ from FL) and the payment of the bill which is EXTREMELY reasonable for the quality of food and service, you will be blown away by the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We miss this restaurant!!LindaZDined on 7/5/2014This was our absolute favorite restaurant! Unfortunately for us, due to storm damage a few years ago Tom moved on to another location. We miss this place terribly!!! For a special occasion we hired a limo (because he is now 1 hour away from us) & went to enjoy our favorite place somewhere else. Take good care of our favorite spot Morris Plains NJ!! We are jealous!! Food & service was outstanding as always!! Good Luck Tom & Ann Marie!!Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Been wanting to go to Ristorante Civile since I noticed it had opened. Finally went and was quite pleased and happy to have them in the neighborhood. Will return time and again! From the food to the service everything was very good.Special Features:
- DinewithfriendsVIPDined on 6/28/2014This is one of the few spots where you have a hard time selecting your meal as almost all items on the menu sound very good. This will bring us back as we want to try one of the items we did not order. Service was very friendly and attentive. Don't let the location address fool you. You would never believe that the location is on a major highway.Special Features:
- Great findJerseyGirlDined on 6/21/2014Been meaning to try this local restaurant for a while, and I'm so glad I did! They did a great job setting up the outside for dining, tables are not too close together. Service was great, they were very attentive to us but did not rush us. Food was great; The scallops in corn salsa was great. My friend had the salmon which was even better - definitely going to order that my next visit! I will definitely be back soon, especially in the summer so I can eat outside.Special Features:
- First VisitmerrimanVIPDined on 6/21/2014Despite reading reviews by others, I found the food to be quite good. I would have rated the food outstanding but I need to visit again to come to this conclusion. Service was also excellent.
- A great neighborhood find4TTOODDined on 6/20/2014Neighborhood BYOB Italian in a strip mall that definitely exceeded my expectations. They created an outdoor dining space that is attractive, romantic and protected from the weather by a substantial overhang. Food was well prepared (we all ordered different veal dishes), service was professional and attentive. Not inexpensive but prices are fair. We'll be returning for more.Special Features:
- Great Father's Day DinnerRickDined on 6/15/2014We went at 7 and sat outside. It was excellent - food and service.Special Features:
- MomzyDined on 6/15/2014Elegant indoor setting,and a beautiful oasis of outside dining makes you forget that you are in a mini strip of restaurant row. Bring your own vine and enjoy Tom Civiles wonderful food and hospitality. The staff is friendly and attentive. Love it every time we go. Had our daughters baby shower there as well, making it a memorable event.Special Features:
- Very NiceloveItalianFoodDined on 6/14/2014Very nice place for a dinner with family. Good service and very pretty dishes!Special Features:
- 13th dinner at Civilesdrewids72Dined on 6/13/2014We continue to be impressed by Tom Civiles restaraunt and enjoy introducing friends who have not experienced the excellent food and delightful BYOB bar and overall ambience. my wife and I gravitate towards the pasta and fish dishes but have enjoyed various pork and chicken creations. Tom is a superb and generous host. The chef will occasionally stop by and our service people have been professional, timely and courteous... Amongst a myriad of BYOB choices in the Morristown area, Civiles is our go-to favorite.Special Features: