2900 Route 10 West
Powder Mill Plaza
Morris Plains, NJ 07950Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ristorantecivile.com/
- Phone: 9739987790x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Served: Wednesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner Served: Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday 5pm-10pm Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Pre fixe Menu: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00 - 6:00pm Closed Monday & Tuesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Continental, Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Civile
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Ask us about catering services!
A word from Ristorante Civile
WE WELCOME YOU TO RISTORANTE CIVILE! Come and enjoy fine contemporary Italian cuisine in a comfortable and elegant setting. All dishes are prepared to order. Our seasoned and professional staff are looking forward to serving you with class and style.Continued
In addition to our full service dining room, we offer al fresco dining in a Tuscany-like setting.
In addition to our full service dining room, we offer al fresco dining in a Tuscany-like setting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ristorante Civile - Best Restaurants in Randolph ›
Ristorante Civile reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (34)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (20)romantic (15)good for groups (12)great for lunch (6)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great FindrsfoodreviewVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food and service is very good. Tom is a great restaurant owner he is friendly and even knows if you have been in the restaurant before. It is very rare these days that anyone is even paying attention to their customers!! We have already planned to have our New Year's Eve dinner at Ristorante Civile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Perfunctory serviceexchefDined on 9/12/2014Highly recommend the booths as dining area very noisy. Enjoyed food but found waiter distant ,just doing what was necessary. He didn't seem familiar with the menu and didn't recommend dessert. I would have liked to see the dessert tray . I was going to skip dessert but I like to see what is offered anyway. He seemed glad to send us on our way. Lots of greeting s when you arrive but after that the service people seem dis interested.exSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulbirdsthewordVIPDined on 8/30/2014Tom Civile has created a beautiful restaurant setting in a strip mall environment. His "devil is in the details" attention carries from the decor right through to the wonderful food he presents. The olives and parmesano reggiano presentation with flat breads and semolina breads is delightful. The romaine wedge salad was crisp and flavorful, smoked salmon and trout appetizer special was right on point. Entrees of scallops over corn salad was wonderful and tasty. My shrimp over cannellini beans and mushroom was very savory comfort food. The salmon entree was cooked to perfection as was the penne puttanesca. Don't hesitate to order the biscotti with a cappuccino for a great finish to a superb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate experience.jdnjDined on 8/23/2014The food and service were excellent. The pace of dinner was also spot on. Very attentive and professional staff - overall a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianBentleybobDined on 8/13/2014Good menu, first class presentation, well trained staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FloParkDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is perfection! We have never been disappointed in the food. If it's just the two of you, ask to be seated in a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemLocalFolksDined on 8/3/2014We tried Ristorante Civile on a recommendation,so glad we did. Outstanding! The stuffed calamari was fork-tender, the seafood filling substantial and superb. New Zealand mussels w/crisp bacon and Porcini mushrooms drizzled w/a delicate sauce of light cream...heavenly. All four entrees were wonderful, as were the desserts. The owner, Tom Civile, graciously greeted us as if we were long-time patrons which made the four of us feel special, and later came to our table to ask how things were. Impressive. Says a lot about how he runs his business. This was a going-away dinner evening for my sister and her husband and we wanted it to be special. Needless to say we were NOT disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripBoston56Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food, wait staff , best I have seen and the owner Tom hues out of his way to make sure your happy.. Good experience and plan on going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014Best Restaurant in the area and the owner Tom Civile is very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazesFLFanaticVIPDined on 7/27/2014This place never disappoints. Part of the magic is in the atmosphere...the owner's interaction both with patrons and staff really makes you feel as though you're in the home of a dear friend or family member who just happens to serve fantastic food! It's better than Disney...everyone in the building is smiling and happy. Add that to the chef's talent, imagination and use of fresh ingredients and you've got a winning combination.Special Features:
- A CharmerViejoMajaderoVIPDined on 7/27/2014Have been to Civile 4 times now. Each visit has been very enjoyable. My last visit dining outside was spectacular. We interacted with others dining alfresco and really got the sense of a family atmosphere. We chatted with another table that arrived later than we did and ended up sitting down with them for another hour. Great food, fabulous host, new friends, what more can one ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitbirdsthewordVIPDined on 7/26/2014We often dined at the old Civiles in Kenilworth, so we were anxious to plan a visit to Morris Plains. Tom greeted us at the door and was ever present throughout the entire evening. The staff was attentive and considerate as they took our order and often refreshed our water and wine. A plate of parmigiano reggiano with mixed olives was presented along with a beautiful assortment of flat breads and Italian breads. We enjoyed a tender eggplant rollatine in a plum tomato sauce and a seafood salad that was cooked to perfection and piled high in a martini glass. Filet mignon, medium rare came with a medley of beautifully presented vegetables. Scallops over a fresh corn and tomato salad were fork tender and delicious. We will return with family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DiningBentleybobDined on 7/24/2014This is one of the new gems in the Morris County area. We will, without a doubt, return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First less-than-great experience...Jaz000VIPDined on 7/12/2014We've dined here about a half-dozen times and always had a stellar meal with great service. This time -- I'm not sure if it was the weather or the full moon or a sign that the restaurant is increasingly popular -- the wait staff was unable to keep up with the demand. It was busy and we were seated outdoors. We were provided two different sized wine glasses for our bottle, and it took 5 mins. for someone to open it. Another 5 for the menus, then about 10 minutes before our order was taken. Parmigiano, usually brought upon seating, was delivered just before our appetizer, and only upon request. Clearly our waiter was overwhelmed and our experience suffered. The food was good, but the staff needs training in handling busier times.
- Awesome FoodJillNDined on 7/12/2014We had never been to Ristorante Civile and cannot wait to come back. The Veal Chop Parmesan and the regular Veal Chop were AMAZING!Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseNostoveathomeVIPDined on 7/12/2014From the service ...to the food ... to the menu ... this restaurant will not disappoint. This was our first visit and we'll definitely return.Special Features:
- A great italian dinnerManuelDined on 7/11/2014Very good italian food. The mussels and red snapper where extraordinary and the owner was very kind and doing more than he should to make us feel comfortable. Great dinner. Will be back!Special Features:
- Always Top NotchFLFanaticVIPDined on 7/6/2014As always, Civile does not disappoint. From the initial greeting from owner Tom Civile through the interaction with the professional and friendly wait staff, the serving of the amazing food (try any of the fish dishes...the chef really knows his way around all kinds of seafood), the unrushed coffee and dessert service the key lime pie is the best I've had since moving to NJ from FL) and the payment of the bill which is EXTREMELY reasonable for the quality of food and service, you will be blown away by the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We miss this restaurant!!LindaZDined on 7/5/2014This was our absolute favorite restaurant! Unfortunately for us, due to storm damage a few years ago Tom moved on to another location. We miss this place terribly!!! For a special occasion we hired a limo (because he is now 1 hour away from us) & went to enjoy our favorite place somewhere else. Take good care of our favorite spot Morris Plains NJ!! We are jealous!! Food & service was outstanding as always!! Good Luck Tom & Ann Marie!!Special Features:
- foodieDined on 7/5/2014Been wanting to go to Ristorante Civile since I noticed it had opened. Finally went and was quite pleased and happy to have them in the neighborhood. Will return time and again! From the food to the service everything was very good.Special Features:
- DinewithfriendsDined on 6/28/2014This is one of the few spots where you have a hard time selecting your meal as almost all items on the menu sound very good. This will bring us back as we want to try one of the items we did not order. Service was very friendly and attentive. Don't let the location address fool you. You would never believe that the location is on a major highway.Special Features:
- Great findJerseyGirlDined on 6/21/2014Been meaning to try this local restaurant for a while, and I'm so glad I did! They did a great job setting up the outside for dining, tables are not too close together. Service was great, they were very attentive to us but did not rush us. Food was great; The scallops in corn salsa was great. My friend had the salmon which was even better - definitely going to order that my next visit! I will definitely be back soon, especially in the summer so I can eat outside.Special Features:
- First VisitmerrimanVIPDined on 6/21/2014Despite reading reviews by others, I found the food to be quite good. I would have rated the food outstanding but I need to visit again to come to this conclusion. Service was also excellent.
- A great neighborhood find4TTOODDined on 6/20/2014Neighborhood BYOB Italian in a strip mall that definitely exceeded my expectations. They created an outdoor dining space that is attractive, romantic and protected from the weather by a substantial overhang. Food was well prepared (we all ordered different veal dishes), service was professional and attentive. Not inexpensive but prices are fair. We'll be returning for more.Special Features:
- Great Father's Day DinnerRickDined on 6/15/2014We went at 7 and sat outside. It was excellent - food and service.Special Features:
- MomzyDined on 6/15/2014Elegant indoor setting,and a beautiful oasis of outside dining makes you forget that you are in a mini strip of restaurant row. Bring your own vine and enjoy Tom Civiles wonderful food and hospitality. The staff is friendly and attentive. Love it every time we go. Had our daughters baby shower there as well, making it a memorable event.Special Features:
- Very NiceloveItalianFoodDined on 6/14/2014Very nice place for a dinner with family. Good service and very pretty dishes!Special Features:
- 13th dinner at Civilesdrewids72Dined on 6/13/2014We continue to be impressed by Tom Civiles restaraunt and enjoy introducing friends who have not experienced the excellent food and delightful BYOB bar and overall ambience. my wife and I gravitate towards the pasta and fish dishes but have enjoyed various pork and chicken creations. Tom is a superb and generous host. The chef will occasionally stop by and our service people have been professional, timely and courteous... Amongst a myriad of BYOB choices in the Morristown area, Civiles is our go-to favorite.Special Features:
- EatoutalotEatoutalotVIPDined on 6/8/2014We love this restaurant! Great service & delicious food! Our favorite is horseradish encrusted salmon! Chilean Sea bass special was also wonderful! Salads are plentiful and tasty. We are regulars at thus hot spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!FLFanaticVIPDined on 6/8/2014Civile has become our go-to restaurant. The food is outstanding...great variety of imaginative specials...and service is friendly, professional and properly paced. Tom, the owner, greets every patron as they arrive and makes sure to stop at each table during the meal to be sure everyone is enjoying the experience. The outdoor area is so beautifully decorated with fountains, plants and flowers, it makes for a wonderful dining spot. Since it is BYO, the cost for a truly outstanding meal is amazingly reasonable. Don't let the strip mall location fool you...this place is worth a trip from anywhere! If you're looking for a terrific dining experience on every level, Civile is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not feel like a strip mall!Jaz000VIPDined on 6/7/2014This is our third or fourth time here, and the first time we sat outside. It was a beautiful night, and we made late (9pm) reservations. Service was great, and completely unhurried even though we were the only remaining table. (The owner and his family/friends occupied another table nearby and even sent us a complimentary item for the table, but we were the last of the customer tables.) It's amazing how well they use the allotted space to remove all hints of Route 10 and the immediate surrounding area. I love that this restaurant is so close to home, and that it's BYOB. Looking forward to another night here very soon.Special Features:
- Love it after 4 visitsMorrisCountyDinerDined on 6/7/2014Each time we have been to Ristorante Civile it has been better than the last time. Service, while OK when the restaurant first opened has gotten much better. What really got our attention this past Saturday was the extensive list of specials - at least three or four were of interest to my wife and me. And while not cheap they were by no means overpriced for the quality and creativity involved. It is a little toward the noisy side indoors but tolerable. If the weather is nice we may try the outdoor Al Fresco dining experience on our next visit which will hopefully be soon. Judging by how difficult it is to get a reservation at a preferred time, even on Open Table, the restaurant is obviously catching on and doing well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tom-tastic!!!disappointedDinerDined on 6/6/2014Tom, you and your staff are excellent!!! The Chef continues to create exciting dishes that are always wonderfully delicious. The Chef's "specials" always impress me lobster bisque w/ crab -Great!, Shrimp in white bean ragout-Superb!]. Whether an intimate evening for two, or dinner for a group of friends; Tom always me feel at home, from his warm greeting-to stopping by your table to see if there is anything he can do for you, or to chat about your dining experience. His staff is very friendly and professional, allowing you to enjoy and appreciate the Chef's wonderful food and your friends, while anticipating your needs. For a truly pleasurable experience - beginning, middle & end, I always favor Civile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4angelsDined on 6/6/2014The food was great and so was the service. From now on I will request a table up front or outside (weather permitting). The noise in the dining room was terrible. We were 4 people and could not hear each others conversation. It was so awful that we left and went somewhere else for coffee and dessert. Wish they could do something about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCarmineDined on 5/31/2014We sat outside in a strip mall on route 10. It did not feel like that at all. It was quite and beautiful. The food was amazing, best Italian restaurant in Morris county.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Ristorante Civile reviews archive.
- RichandBarbDined on 5/23/2014Second time here and worth going back. Excellent food and service combined with the favored NJ BYOB. Was a little noisy from other tables. Host Tom Civile is always pleasant and welcoming, and the food is fantastic. The two make it or break it rules for my approach to dining (specials printed and clean knives and forks for each course) were followed. Can be a little hard to find, but worth the trip. Was too cold for eating outside, but looking to try that next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFluffyDined on 5/23/2014A great Tuscan escape off Route 10. Delicious dishes and friendly service made for a great dine out experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014The terrific service is only outdone by the exceptional food. Tom knows how to run a restaurant and how to treat customers.Special Features:
- You Can't Go WrongeatdrinkbemerryDined on 5/11/2014Went for the first time this Mothers Day and the food was excellent. I'm looking like the Son of the Year. You have to try the almond cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJARRDined on 5/9/2014Food was fantastic...service was outstanding..portion size perfect..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.