2300 Chestnut St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ristobarsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 923-6464
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday thru Thursday 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Friday 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm
Saturday Noon to 11:00 pm
Sunday Noon to 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Michele Belotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: See Private Party Facilities
A word from Ristobar
In Italy, ristobars are casual, comfortable neighborhood gathering places where friends and family convene to conversate, eat, and drink. In San Francisco, restaurateur and pastry master Gary Rulli’s stateside version of a ristobar is a destination for rustic Italian fare and artisanal pizza, best enjoyed with Italian beer, wine, and good company. Rulli’s Executive Chef Michele Belotti combines the best products and practices of Italy with the bounty of fresh ingredients available in the Bay area.Continued
Visit ristobarsf.com for details
Visit ristobarsf.com for details
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristobar reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (22)notable wine list (14)good for groups (13)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014This place is a neighborhood gem. Food is always fresh and well prepared. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. It is our "go to place" for a good weekend or weekday dinner. They are really great at fitting you in even without a reservation most nights, but try to plan ahead. Outdoor seating area is comfortable and dog friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014Good food, great selection of Italian and local California wines. Staff are very helpful and knowledgeable about wines. Food is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Go-TofeefeefoodieDined on 11/9/2014This is one of our go-to restaurants. We live in The Marina and have 4 kids. These guys are always accommodating and we are usually coming in without reservations. They are attentive and friendly. Our kids have been going out to dinner since day 1 - they know how to behave. The food is always fantastic. The wine list is great too. Sunny days are a must on the patio.Special Features:
- pretty goodYCandthegangDined on 11/7/2014Very noisy, kids sitting next to us added to the noise. Had to ask for salt which we found strange. Forgot to ask for pepper and there wasn't any. Waiter okay, had to has for things several times, seems preoccupied although not crowed. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Our experience - 4 + starsSaladVIPDined on 11/6/2014delightful enjoying two new items on menu - the light and fluffy pumpkin gnocchi with parmesan sauce and brown butter and the appetizer Tortino, a generous timbale of spinach with a core of soft cooked egg. Another must try favorite is the pappardelle with hen of the woods mushrooms. Always the freshest ingredients, nice presented. Service was attentive and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit in the wine nookUCgradVIPDined on 11/4/2014The menu is varied--not the usual Italian fare. The wine list is large, the service excellent and the food tastes great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic italian. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The chef Michele is from the city of Bergamo in northern Italy and he has a lot of talent. He mixes tradition with innovation. Great food and great dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Surprised at RistobarStunningDined on 10/10/2014We found the menu quite good but you didn't get what you paid for. I ordered a pasta dish and the portions were way too small. It seemed more like an appetizer. My friend had a butter lettuce salad that was $13.00 and it wasn't fancy except for the presentation. Mostly butter lettuce. Why the prices for such small portions and we are light eaters.Special Features:
- Italy with a flair!LouisaVIPDined on 10/5/2014Enjoyed a Sunday lunch at Ristobar on a beautiful day. Chestnut St. is a fun location for shopping and dining and Ristobar raises dining to a higher level than many of the other eateries. Delicious Italian faire with pastas, pizza, salads, panini, and even a hamburger. Attentive service and lovely seating inside and out. We tried two of their egg dishes; the Spinach Frittata and the Marina Egg white scramble with turkey bacon. Both were delicious and served beautifully with either roasted potatoes or fresh fruit. Will definitely go back for dinner!Special Features:
- Great Place to Grab A BitePrgirlcamilleDined on 9/30/2014Ristobar is great for a work or friendly dinner, or a date night. Love the wine list and the pasta. Take advantage of the happy hour that lasts til 6:30.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceoaklandraterDined on 9/19/2014Ristobar never fails to delight us. In a party of four, we had cheese stuffed peppers, two salads, the paccheri with lobster, the pappardelle, and the anatra (times two)--everything was excellent! There was a good, low-alcohol Italian beer, a very drinkable chardonnay and rose, and an excellent pinot noir by the glass. Service was extremely accommodating, though we took a l-o-n-g time to order and eat and we lingered afterward. With experiences like this, we will be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingpjbbVIPDined on 9/13/2014What a horrible experience! I so wanted to like this place and its food but my friends and I were all very disappointed at the end of our meal. We all looked at each other and said: no, this is not good! The food is just ok (at best) and the service is awful! One lady kept coming back grabbing glasses and plates that were not empty…who told her to clean things before people are done drinking/eating????!!!!! It was annoying. But at the end of the day what matters is that as an Italian I found that nothing at this restaurant is Italian and after all the food really doesn't taste like anything… Sorry but it's a big NO
- SushifanDined on 8/29/2014very nice ambience and specially nice since there's a lot of space, the service was quick and corteous, the food delicious, but a bit pricey..Special Features:
- Noise levelsGeorgeDined on 8/22/2014Your highest noise level category is "energetic", which sounds positive, but you should also have a category "Must shout to converse" or something similar to express discomfort, as I found it at Ristobar even though there were only 2 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodKimmyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love this restaurant. We love the happy hour here. The pizzas are awesome and tasty. Great long bar for drinks and cocktails. Nice place. Will come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Service was not good that evening - appetizers sent to wrong tables - entrees served more than 5 min. after the others at our table had their food brought out. "Operations" manager did nothing to rectify the situation - even after a phone call. This was an out of town client meeting - so was even less acceptable to me. Food that they did serve was delicious - but aside from our main server - others need retraining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant!!!food4thoughtDined on 8/16/2014Ristobar is one of our favorite restaurants in San Francisco. Although we no longer live in the Bay Area, we're frequently in San Francisco, and a trip wouldn't be complete if we didn't dine at least once at Ristobar! From the moment we enter the restaurant, we're impressed with its attractive and welcoming atmosphere and the friendly professionalism of the staff. As for menu choices, we particularly enjoy the very attractively presented salume and cheese boards. Our main course is usually freshly made pasta with delicious and very subtle sauces, such as the sage/butter sauce and the veal reduction sauce. Desserts are also delicious. We always look forward to returning to Ristobar and have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- A Family FavoriteSusanVIPDined on 8/5/2014This is a family favorite. The food, great as always, service on the other hand has declined. (Tip reflected that) We were not greeted upon entering. Once seated, we could not get the attention of our server. The restaurant was not busy, only 2 tables occupied. We had to wave down the bartender to wave down our server to order drink refills. We knew something had changed and our server advised that there was a mgt change. (They should change back or offer staff training) We finally noticed the reason we could not get attention was that the servers were gathered by the front door watching the young ladies walk by and commenting on them. We will go again and hope mgt will have been able to iron out these issues.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 28foodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Pasta dishes are fantastic. They are made from scratch and cooked perfectly. Service is efficient and friendly.Special Features:
- The following 458 reviews are from the Ristobar reviews archive.
- RecommendedObamaDined on 7/18/2014We loved our appetizer. The homemade pasta was our main course. Great selection of cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth It.NotWorthItDined on 7/16/2014Entree pasta portions are mini appetizers and overpriced. Food is good, but not great. Cocktails were also small. Service was subpar. Our waiter mainly smirked than smiled. Using a gift certificate won at a fundraising, they added a 20% service charge for a party of 3! I cannot believe anyone would go here!
- DeeSaladVIPDined on 7/10/2014Absolutely wonderfully; from start to finish; beautiful presentations, perfectly executed. We have returned many times, enjoying dinners for 2 and special family occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible portions and poursOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2014I ordered a glass of wine. I received a tasting, maybe. Did I order another one? First off the waiter didn't even ask, but no, why bother. The salumi portions were terribly small for what you pay. My fiancé had a pasta dish, he left hungry. Broccolini was overcooked. As a marina resident, I don't think I will go back unless the above somehow changes
- Yummy quiet dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/29/2014Food was divine, service was great. Small portions but rich and delicious.Special Features:
- Bachlorette Party DinnerMaryDined on 6/28/2014Before we went out and painted the town pink, we needed a delicious dinner. This really hit the spot. I've been here many times, and it's been great every single time.Special Features:
- Under the RadarcrecreDined on 6/28/2014The Italian cuisine and on site baking is high end quality. Every dish I have tasted here in some 5 visits has been very good or excellent. Friends I have introduced here have, on later visits, advised they came back in between with consistent very good experiences. Portion sizes are modest but very rich, and the prices are very fair for the level of the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sfReservationsVIPDined on 6/28/2014Nice decor and small but cute street side dining too. BUT..No parking anywhere. I waited 30 minutes for my husband to find a spot. Then we both walked a long way when we left to get the car. Not too many wines unless you like Italian wine. Food list was short as well. Taste great for what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality all the way around...Hopk7791Dined on 6/19/2014Authentic Italian food with exceptional customer service to go along the experience. Very impressed and we can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- Nice ExperiencenotcreativeDined on 6/13/2014We had a very nice dinner at Ristobar -- service and food were both very good. Our server took a long time to explain the menu and did a very good job of tending to our every need. Highlights were the Casoncelli, which had a really nice rich sauce, and the suckling pig was outstanding. Beef tartare was also very tasty, but was actually probably a little large for two people. It would be perfect for a table of 4 if you have a group that's not afraid of raw beef. In a neighborhood with plenty of options, this is a nice place for dinner.
- ChrisNZChrisNZDined on 6/12/2014We used to visit the Ristobar in 2012 and the food was very disappointing. Maybe there has been a change of management as the food, service and general ambience has greatly improved. The Ristobar is a great spot for all occasions and the food and service are excellent. If you can get a spot outside it is a perfect place to be on a sunny day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RistoBarTawnyDined on 6/6/2014Had dinner at RistoBar. Cool vibe, very nice servers. Had an appetizer of salami and cheese (server picked for us), it was delicious but not a lot of food at all. Entree's were also very good but incredibly small portions (like 10 very small raviolis). I cut up the bite size portions simply to give myself more bites! Again, very good but super small portions, we all could have doubled the size of the dish and still been hungry! Good news is we left there not being stuffed but really wanted more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!diningdivaVIPDined on 5/31/2014We were a large group and ordered almost everything on the lunch menu. The meal was fantastic and we can't wait to go again. Great buzz.Special Features:
- GirlonthehighwayVIPDined on 5/29/2014Though it was a little bit on the expensive side, everything was superb. We had Pappardelle with veal reduction and wild mushrooms, a raw scallop appetizer and chestnut pizza. Yum! Will definatly go back.Special Features:
- Very Nice Marina ItalianKevinprinVIPDined on 5/26/2014Very nice Memorial Day lunch at Ristrobar. Food was very good especially the pasta and pizza. Service was only fair. While the restaurant was not full it appeared to be understaffed for the number of people that came in for lunch on Memorial Day.
- Perfect Italian on SF's Chestnut StLAartguy1Dined on 5/16/2014Took 4 friends for a Friday night dinner. We were sat immediately on arrival at a fun semi-circular table which was perfect for our group. My wife's sea bass was fantastic. Not a huge serving but everything was prepared to perfection. The pizzas were paper thin, rich in flavor and perfectly crisp. But the best dishes were probably the pastas. Made in-house, the pastas were a perfect texture and amazingly tasty. I seem to the using the word "perfect" a lot. Best way to describe our experience at Ristobar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 times in 2 weeks!cdub9494Dined on 5/16/2014Loved it so much went back - not once but twice. That's not like me. Very comfortable, great food, nice people. Was there for date night, girls night and a quick, early dinner with my kids. Wonderful on every occasion.Special Features:
- Forgotten tableEnziVIPDined on 5/15/2014Our food was adequate. Then wait staff forgot about us completely. An enthusiastic endorsement of the bread brought none to our table. We could not get more drinks. Salt and pepper took two requests while the food got cold. An untrained busboy breaking a glass used up any attention that could have gone to our table. Asking another waiter to help did not get the message to our waiter. After waiting 15 minutes to have our main course cleared, we decided against having desert. Even after standing by the table to get the check, nobody came back to pick it up. I took my credit card to the hostess and asked her to take care of it. Then we waited another 15 minutes to get it back. Only half of the tables were full.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Food was excellent, however the portion sizes were very small. Espresso's were very poor; flat flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.shawncreedDined on 5/7/2014One of the best restaurant experiences I've ever had in SF. The staff were extremely attentive without being overbearing. I never had to wait for a drink refill. The wine recommendation was phenomenal... easily one of the best wines I've ever had ANYWHERE (a 2010 CaViola). And the food... oh, man, the food. I was with a party of 5 people so we ordered a lot of food and got to sample a large portion of the menu... and I didn't have a single thing that I wouldn't gladly eat for the rest of my life. Such an amazing experience.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good foodJanaDined on 5/2/2014Some of our friends recently move to San Francisco and we wanted to try a new restaurant so we decided to try Ristobar. We were surprised as to how good the food was. Every dish from appetizer to main course were delicious. Their wine list was also pretty good. The only negative thing about the restaurant is the ambiance. They didn't set the mode very well, the lights were on super bright and the restaurant didn't feel intimate.Special Features: