2300 Chestnut St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ristobarsf.com/
- Phone: 4159236464x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday thru Thursday 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Friday 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm
Saturday Noon to 11:00 pm
Sunday Noon to 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Michele Belotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: A semi-private dining room capacity 20 seated; Main Dining area capacity 80 seated / 100 Reception style. Wine Tasting groups capacity up to 75.
- Private Party Contact: Edward Ruiz 4159236464x
- Special Events: See Private Party Facilities
A word from Ristobar
In Italy, ristobars are casual, comfortable neighborhood gathering places where friends and family convene to conversate, eat, and drink. In San Francisco, restaurateur and pastry master Gary Rulli’s stateside version of a ristobar is a destination for rustic Italian fare and artisanal pizza, best enjoyed with Italian beer, wine, and good company. Rulli’s Executive Chef Michele Belotti combines the best products and practices of Italy with the bounty of fresh ingredients available in the Bay area.Continued
Visit ristobarsf.com for details
Visit ristobarsf.com for details
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristobar reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (9)special occasion (9)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (6)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- SushifanDined on 8/29/2014very nice ambience and specially nice since there's a lot of space, the service was quick and corteous, the food delicious, but a bit pricey..Special Features:
- Noise levelsGeorgeDined on 8/22/2014Your highest noise level category is "energetic", which sounds positive, but you should also have a category "Must shout to converse" or something similar to express discomfort, as I found it at Ristobar even though there were only 2 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodKimmyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love this restaurant. We love the happy hour here. The pizzas are awesome and tasty. Great long bar for drinks and cocktails. Nice place. Will come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Service was not good that evening - appetizers sent to wrong tables - entrees served more than 5 min. after the others at our table had their food brought out. "Operations" manager did nothing to rectify the situation - even after a phone call. This was an out of town client meeting - so was even less acceptable to me. Food that they did serve was delicious - but aside from our main server - others need retraining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant!!!food4thoughtDined on 8/16/2014Ristobar is one of our favorite restaurants in San Francisco. Although we no longer live in the Bay Area, we're frequently in San Francisco, and a trip wouldn't be complete if we didn't dine at least once at Ristobar! From the moment we enter the restaurant, we're impressed with its attractive and welcoming atmosphere and the friendly professionalism of the staff. As for menu choices, we particularly enjoy the very attractively presented salume and cheese boards. Our main course is usually freshly made pasta with delicious and very subtle sauces, such as the sage/butter sauce and the veal reduction sauce. Desserts are also delicious. We always look forward to returning to Ristobar and have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- A Family FavoriteSusanDined on 8/5/2014This is a family favorite. The food, great as always, service on the other hand has declined. (Tip reflected that) We were not greeted upon entering. Once seated, we could not get the attention of our server. The restaurant was not busy, only 2 tables occupied. We had to wave down the bartender to wave down our server to order drink refills. We knew something had changed and our server advised that there was a mgt change. (They should change back or offer staff training) We finally noticed the reason we could not get attention was that the servers were gathered by the front door watching the young ladies walk by and commenting on them. We will go again and hope mgt will have been able to iron out these issues.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 28foodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Pasta dishes are fantastic. They are made from scratch and cooked perfectly. Service is efficient and friendly.Special Features:
- RecommendedObamaDined on 7/18/2014We loved our appetizer. The homemade pasta was our main course. Great selection of cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth It.NotWorthItDined on 7/16/2014Entree pasta portions are mini appetizers and overpriced. Food is good, but not great. Cocktails were also small. Service was subpar. Our waiter mainly smirked than smiled. Using a gift certificate won at a fundraising, they added a 20% service charge for a party of 3! I cannot believe anyone would go here!
- DeeSaladVIPDined on 7/10/2014Absolutely wonderfully; from start to finish; beautiful presentations, perfectly executed. We have returned many times, enjoying dinners for 2 and special family occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible portions and poursOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2014I ordered a glass of wine. I received a tasting, maybe. Did I order another one? First off the waiter didn't even ask, but no, why bother. The salumi portions were terribly small for what you pay. My fiancé had a pasta dish, he left hungry. Broccolini was overcooked. As a marina resident, I don't think I will go back unless the above somehow changes
- Yummy quiet dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/29/2014Food was divine, service was great. Small portions but rich and delicious.Special Features:
- Bachlorette Party DinnerMaryDined on 6/28/2014Before we went out and painted the town pink, we needed a delicious dinner. This really hit the spot. I've been here many times, and it's been great every single time.Special Features:
- Under the RadarcrecreDined on 6/28/2014The Italian cuisine and on site baking is high end quality. Every dish I have tasted here in some 5 visits has been very good or excellent. Friends I have introduced here have, on later visits, advised they came back in between with consistent very good experiences. Portion sizes are modest but very rich, and the prices are very fair for the level of the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sfReservationsDined on 6/28/2014Nice decor and small but cute street side dining too. BUT..No parking anywhere. I waited 30 minutes for my husband to find a spot. Then we both walked a long way when we left to get the car. Not too many wines unless you like Italian wine. Food list was short as well. Taste great for what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality all the way around...Hopk7791Dined on 6/19/2014Authentic Italian food with exceptional customer service to go along the experience. Very impressed and we can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- Nice ExperiencenotcreativeDined on 6/13/2014We had a very nice dinner at Ristobar -- service and food were both very good. Our server took a long time to explain the menu and did a very good job of tending to our every need. Highlights were the Casoncelli, which had a really nice rich sauce, and the suckling pig was outstanding. Beef tartare was also very tasty, but was actually probably a little large for two people. It would be perfect for a table of 4 if you have a group that's not afraid of raw beef. In a neighborhood with plenty of options, this is a nice place for dinner.
- ChrisNZChrisNZDined on 6/12/2014We used to visit the Ristobar in 2012 and the food was very disappointing. Maybe there has been a change of management as the food, service and general ambience has greatly improved. The Ristobar is a great spot for all occasions and the food and service are excellent. If you can get a spot outside it is a perfect place to be on a sunny day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RistoBarTawnyDined on 6/6/2014Had dinner at RistoBar. Cool vibe, very nice servers. Had an appetizer of salami and cheese (server picked for us), it was delicious but not a lot of food at all. Entree's were also very good but incredibly small portions (like 10 very small raviolis). I cut up the bite size portions simply to give myself more bites! Again, very good but super small portions, we all could have doubled the size of the dish and still been hungry! Good news is we left there not being stuffed but really wanted more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!diningdivaVIPDined on 5/31/2014We were a large group and ordered almost everything on the lunch menu. The meal was fantastic and we can't wait to go again. Great buzz.Special Features:
- GirlonthehighwayVIPDined on 5/29/2014Though it was a little bit on the expensive side, everything was superb. We had Pappardelle with veal reduction and wild mushrooms, a raw scallop appetizer and chestnut pizza. Yum! Will definatly go back.Special Features:
- Very Nice Marina ItalianKevinprinVIPDined on 5/26/2014Very nice Memorial Day lunch at Ristrobar. Food was very good especially the pasta and pizza. Service was only fair. While the restaurant was not full it appeared to be understaffed for the number of people that came in for lunch on Memorial Day.
- The following 443 reviews are from the Ristobar reviews archive.
- Perfect Italian on SF's Chestnut StLAartguy1Dined on 5/16/2014Took 4 friends for a Friday night dinner. We were sat immediately on arrival at a fun semi-circular table which was perfect for our group. My wife's sea bass was fantastic. Not a huge serving but everything was prepared to perfection. The pizzas were paper thin, rich in flavor and perfectly crisp. But the best dishes were probably the pastas. Made in-house, the pastas were a perfect texture and amazingly tasty. I seem to the using the word "perfect" a lot. Best way to describe our experience at Ristobar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 times in 2 weeks!cdub9494Dined on 5/16/2014Loved it so much went back - not once but twice. That's not like me. Very comfortable, great food, nice people. Was there for date night, girls night and a quick, early dinner with my kids. Wonderful on every occasion.Special Features:
- Forgotten tableEnziVIPDined on 5/15/2014Our food was adequate. Then wait staff forgot about us completely. An enthusiastic endorsement of the bread brought none to our table. We could not get more drinks. Salt and pepper took two requests while the food got cold. An untrained busboy breaking a glass used up any attention that could have gone to our table. Asking another waiter to help did not get the message to our waiter. After waiting 15 minutes to have our main course cleared, we decided against having desert. Even after standing by the table to get the check, nobody came back to pick it up. I took my credit card to the hostess and asked her to take care of it. Then we waited another 15 minutes to get it back. Only half of the tables were full.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Food was excellent, however the portion sizes were very small. Espresso's were very poor; flat flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.shawncreedDined on 5/7/2014One of the best restaurant experiences I've ever had in SF. The staff were extremely attentive without being overbearing. I never had to wait for a drink refill. The wine recommendation was phenomenal... easily one of the best wines I've ever had ANYWHERE (a 2010 CaViola). And the food... oh, man, the food. I was with a party of 5 people so we ordered a lot of food and got to sample a large portion of the menu... and I didn't have a single thing that I wouldn't gladly eat for the rest of my life. Such an amazing experience.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good foodJanaDined on 5/2/2014Some of our friends recently move to San Francisco and we wanted to try a new restaurant so we decided to try Ristobar. We were surprised as to how good the food was. Every dish from appetizer to main course were delicious. Their wine list was also pretty good. The only negative thing about the restaurant is the ambiance. They didn't set the mode very well, the lights were on super bright and the restaurant didn't feel intimate.Special Features:
- Great food and winesLoveofWineDined on 4/19/2014I have to say the meat and cheese board I ordered was excellent!! Great atmosphere and prompt service. Well worth the trip.Special Features:
- Great nightmitch48Dined on 4/18/2014From start to finish a wonderful dining experience. The staff was exceptional, the food was exquisite and the total experience a pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pizza FavoriteSusanDined on 4/8/2014We go back often as this restaurant is our favorite pizza in the Marina. We may live in Sonoma but this restaurant sees us at least once per month. This is the place for the higher-end gourmet and very Italian style pizza. Service is attentive without being intrusive. Great happy hour daily.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceNageVIPDined on 4/5/2014Very much enjoyed our experience at Ristobar, the hostess was very nice and seated me immediately even though my girlfriend arrived 10 minutes later... Our waitress was attentive and very pleasant and the rest of the staff did a great job of assisting her. The food was so delicious, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night to rememberDavidDined on 3/20/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoy our dinner at Ristobar. It was a fitting finale to our three glorious weeks in SF. The food, wine and service was first class and I have to say that it was one of the dining highlights of our time in the city and we dined out many nights ! We both commented that if we're staying longer we would have gone back again. We actually stumbled across the restaurant when walking along Chestnut street on St Patricks say and were delighted by the service of the staff that day when all we wanted was a quick drink - my wife did not like the original drink and the waiter could not do enough to ensure that she got a drink that she liked. That service bought us back and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian RestaurantAliceDined on 3/20/2014This is a beautiful spot in a wonderful residential neighborhood, and not a trendy place, THANK GOD!, so you can actually have a conversation while you eat delicious Italian food from the Lombardy region of Italy. The pizza was excellent, as was the pasta and everything else. Our waiter was charming, efficient, and Italian as well! I will recommend Ristobar to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 10+OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2014We dine out a lot. We seldom find places we can't WAIT to return to. Ristobar is one of those places! Be sure not to miss the hand made in house pastas. The Osso Bucco with Polenta was the best I've had this side of Rio de J....Special Features:
- love this place but wouldsameetVIPDined on 3/1/2014love this place but would recommend they have some more natively vegetarian pastas. every time we have to have them twist around the menu to accomodate us, whch they do.Special Features:
- Risto BarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014Everything was very nice; appreciated that the menu was a little different than the ordinary restaurant--yet not so different as to be weird. Our only reservation, the portions were not huge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZmHigh noise level when guestsAMButeDined on 2/20/2014ZmHigh noise level when guests laughed loudly or screeched. Loud grating noise when guest moved chairs on the floor. Limited and expensive wine list for someone not knowledgable about Italian wines. The food was very good although portions were modest. AMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood SpotSFFranciscanDined on 2/15/2014We came for my father's 80th birthday, but I'm afraid the place was so noisy on a Saturday that my dad couldn't really enjoy the meal through all the noise. A nice room, and the wait staff was fine. The food was hit and miss: excellent pasta, but the filet and osso buck were curiously lacking in flavor (perhaps my mistake for ordering steak in an Italian restaurant…but the osso buck?) So I would recommend lunch for pasta. But the evening was a disappointment, unfortunately.
- Valentine's Day dinnerRoGiDined on 2/14/20141st visit back since it used to be the Gran Caffe. My girlfriend and were promptly seated. Ed, our server, took outstanding care of us throughout the evening. We didn't try the Valentine's prix fixe menu. It was a full house given the special occasion. Noise from people talking was noticeable but you didn't have to shout out. After an hour, some people left and the noise dropped considerably. All the food was delicious and the presentation added to our experience. Definitely recommend the paperdelle and agnolotti - just amazing! And the amalfi and budato di cioccolato were divine! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.