2275 L Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://risdc.com/
- Phone: 2027302500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Lunch: 11:30am - 5:00pm Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm "Rush Hour", our Happy Hour, is available from 4 to 6:30pm. Saturday Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm Late Lunch: 3:00pm - 5:00pm Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Our pre-theatre "Marquee Menu" is available daily from 4 to 6:30pm, and after 10pm Monday through Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ris Lacoste
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: RIS has three beautiful spaces to host every event from business meetings to rehearsal dinners. We are also available for buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Christenson 2027302508
- Special Events: RIS offers three beautiful private dining spaces for every occasion from business dinners to wedding rehearsals. The State Room is our smallest and most intimate dining room, seating a maximum of 10 guests. The Federal Room seats up to 35 guests, and comfortably accommodates up to 45 for a standing cocktail reception. The Main Dining Room accommodates 40 guests, and when coupled with the adjacent State Room, seats to 50 diners. We also have other options for group dining, including two banquettes that seat up to 16 guests. For more casual receptions, the Cafe area next to our bar is a great location for a standing cocktail reception. Contact Natalie Christenson at email@example.com to book your special event!
- Cross Street: 23rd
- Public Transit: From Foggy Bottom Metro (Orange and Blue Lines) 1. As you exit the Metro, turn left onto 23rd Street. 2. At the traffic circle, take the 5th exit and continue on 23rd Street. 3. Walk one block. 4. Turn right at L Street NW. RIS will be across the street on the left.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available in the evenings after 6:30 during the week, and 5:00 on the weekends. The valet stand is on L Street outside of our main entrance. There is also open-air parking lot, Systems Parking, located across the street from RIS at 1120 23rd Street NW.
A word from RIS
A neighborhood restaurant, serving seasonal American creations by chef Ris Lacoste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
RIS reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (173)neighborhood gem (123)special occasion (112)great for lunch (83)good for groups (67)great for outdoor dining (60)notable wine list (48)great for brunch (46)romantic (36)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (16)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- RIS is a DC FAVORITELuv2eatDined on 9/27/2014Ris is always my first choice, especially when I want to introduce my friends to a really great food experience. I absolutely love everything about Ris and have introduced it to many friends. Outstanding fresh high quality eats, superb service and selection, try it and you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No place we would rather be!DHPX2VIPDined on 9/27/2014Saturday night---wanted something special, wanted a great dinner. There is only one place that met the bill ---RIS! We both had the 3 course supper club and it was PERFECT! Every bite! Service was GREAT! A perfect Saturday evening!Special Features:
- As good as it getsFoodsmithVIPDined on 9/26/2014Superb in every way. Fine, fresh ingredients prepared deliciously. Dining as good as it gets in Washington, DC. Ris, the owner and chef, deserves all the stars in the constellations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but too much saltFoodIsFunInDCDined on 9/25/2014This was a nice meal, top notch service but too much salt in the food. Not to the point where it was inedible BUT enough to interfere with the quality. Nicely platted good quality food other than a very fixable problem of the excess salt. Small plates, great full meals especially flexible service because one of us does not eat sugar and they were very nice to substitute a cheese plate in place of the lovely dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal and terrific serviceSBS50Dined on 9/23/2014Everyone who worked at RIS the night we visited seemed to really enjoy being there. I can see why. The food was terrific, the wine wonderful, the service was friendly, informative, and responsive. It was a week night but fairly busy. Not noisy, just active. All three courses of our meals were outstanding. And the "supper club" menu which we ordered from retained the restaurant week pricing so it was a terrific value. I had not been to RIS in a while, but will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Divine. Delicioius. Delectable. Not to be missed. Ris is an artist in every sense and the ambience is just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octopus Salad is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Although we had brunch, I asked if I could have octopus salad from the lunch menu. The waiter was very nice and checked with the kitchen and made it possible.I was very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ris will make you smileAmuseboucheDined on 9/19/2014We had another excellent experience at RIS. It is delicious, innovative and reliable.Special Features:
- This is a must-go...palmfanVIPDined on 9/17/2014....as in, you must go here if you have a chance. A great menu, terrific food, wonderful outside seating, terrific and attentive service. Not sure how long incarnation of Chef Ris's talents has been around, but I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to discover it. I'll be back. Again, and again. So should you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIS met all expectationsjgrdinerDined on 9/16/2014Our second time at Ris (last was three years ago) and it met every expectation from exceptional service to excellent food. Staff was superb and the kitchen got everything just right! Felt special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great, first impressionMichaelDined on 9/13/2014We were visiting DC for the weekend and wanted to find a special restaurant to take my wife to celebrate her birthday. The description and reviews on Open Table swayed me to make a reservation for 8:45 pm. With the assistance of a car service, we arrived at approximately 8:40 and were advised we would be seated closer to our reservation time. I figured we could wait 5 minutes at the bar with a glass of wine. This would have been fine if we were not forced to wait 20 minutes for our table and endured a group loudly cheering over a college football game.As you can imagine, my wife is not a football fan. After the longer than expected wait for our table, we were ushered to our cozy table in the dining area where we had a fantastic meal thatSpecial Features:
- Loved it!Luvyoga11Dined on 9/13/2014The food was incredible. Not the typical saucy French food. Service was wonderful. Great atmosphere. We went for our 24th wedding anniversary and the staff went out of their way to make it special. They personalized the dessert and it seemed like the whole place new it was our anniversary wishing us well. They had beautiful private rooms if you ever want to host a special occasion there. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday fundottieDined on 9/12/2014we had a wonderful and varied dinner with a birthday party of 8 on Friday evening. With all the different food needs, it was wonderful that everything could be accommodated, the mussels were great as were the scallops. The skirt steak was a hit too. They made a lovely birthday plate out of cookies and wrote happy birthday in chocolate. They took very good care of us and we look forward to returning there soon.Special Features:
- Lax quality standards and servicegspiceyVIPDined on 9/11/2014The restaurant is built for large group events and warm ambiance but unfortunately their customer service was lacking. The waiter provided limited attention and did not follow up on the status of our food. There was hair in my entrée which I had to alert the waiter to. He took the dish back to the kitchen and brought a new one 15 minutes later without communicating this decision. The manager was notified but failed to make an appearance until after the full bill was paid - perhaps this happens quite often.Special Features:
- RIS on two nightsPeteVIPDined on 9/10/2014We ate at RIS on two consecutive nights; a tale of two restaurants driven by the service. On the first night we had SPECTACULAR service and enjoyed a wonderful meal complimented by excellent wine at a very reasonable price. A definite "Got to go again." We followed up the second evening we two additional friends and the service ruined the evening. One of the guests had a food allergy, explained to the waiter and somehow lost between the waiter and the kitchen. So one meal was discovered to be inedible by one guest. Four entrees arrived at different times, they ran out the wine we were drinking, etc., etc. The manager ended up involved and compensated for one meal, but the evening was lost. Great example of why service really counts!Special Features:
- eatwellOpenTable7Dined on 9/5/2014Three of us went for Restaurant Week extended. The food served was the same. It was outstanding. There was no difference between the weeks. The service was also outstanding. We were treated very well. Two of us had fish and one had pasta. All were wonderful. We also had a salad and dessert. We were stuffed. At all Restaurant Week lunches, including this one, we have always come away raving about the quantity of food, its preparation and the accompanying service. Ris is an outstanding restaurant. I would recommend it to one and all. We look forward to returning there.Special Features:
- Loved it!LuvtoeatdcDined on 9/4/2014Great food. Very good small plates. We all had fish and seafood. All fresh, well prepared and tasty. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Very tasty food, nice menuJadedtravelistaVIPDined on 9/4/2014Just two of us for lunch, were the first to arrive midweek. Friendly staff and warm prompt service throughout. The place filled up quickly starting at noon. We ordered the special - liver and onions - because the preparation looked interesting. It was cooked perfectly (rare, as requested) and the flavors were delicious. We both cleaned our plates (except my friend who left his kale) and were completely satisfied. RIS is convenient walk from Foggy Bottom Metro and has a very congenial bar as well.Special Features:
- We love RISDHPX2VIPDined on 9/2/2014Ok, true confessions---- we love RIS but we were out of town and missed Restaurant week! Not to fear, RIS still has it. And boy, o boy was it worth the wait! I had the cucumber soup (so cool on a hot day), I could have stop there, but glad I didn't the pecan crusted salmon was to die for! Follow that with the peanut butter crunch bar. My husband had the Basque Pimiento Cheese Agnolotti salad (he tried to say he made the better pick but I'm sticking to my soup!), followed by the Fusilli Pasta, and the Blackberry Cobbler. What a treat for a Tuesday night! This was a GREAT meal! Not to mention the wonderful service! A perfect dinner!Special Features:
- ExcellentJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJDined on 8/30/2014Our recent meal at Ris was excellent. We have dinered there several times and with each visit the menu always has new surprises on it. We appreciate the creativity and flavors presented by the chef. Never dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite DC RestaurantDCDinerDined on 8/28/2014When a friend flew into DC and wanted to dine there was no thought of any other restaurant - If your guests only have time for one meal in DC - choose Ris! The grilled fish of the day rotates with the seasons. I have had that selection the last 6 times we have been there. Tonight, since it was black trout, and I don't really like that type of fish I choose the pork chop, my wife had the seafood stew and our friend had the fish. It was all amazing. Save room for the sides. Corn pudding and grits tonight. Grits? Yeah, if you like grits don't miss it. The collard greens were also amazing. This time, for the first time, the service was just average. I don't expect a repeat of it, but was noticeable because normally service is 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday dinner for fourBirdVIPDined on 8/28/2014Super tapas starter--sophisticated anchovy with toasted bread, meats, melon which we shared. Equally creative 3 course supper club menu-- freshest vegetable and fruit. All 4 of us had excellent meals --we will return with other friends soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu, well prepared.PublicanDined on 8/28/2014The meal was very good - the restaurant fills up at lunch, so reservations are helpful. We dined early so no problem. Interesting menu (avail. on-line) and it's obvious that the chef pays attention to what leaves the kitchen. Service was peculiar -- at least 4 different employees served us at different times; menu, water, bread, entrees, removing plates, etc. It was hard to say who our server actually was. Some of the parade of staff were actually rude, interrupting our business conversation to ask if we wanted this, or were finished with that. There's also a bar area; and (small) patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014Very plesant server. 1st course (two raw items and a salad) took more then 30 minutes...too long!
- Fantastic RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/25/2014Rare it is to find a place where the food, service, ambiance go beyond your expectation.Special Features:
- RIS is great for lunchladybugDined on 8/25/2014We were a large group that went to RIS for lunch. The service for the group was great. The restaurant had a great variety of food so everyone was able to get something they liked. I ordered from the daily menu which gave a sampling of the season's best produce. The food was amazing. I would go back and try the dinner menu. Thank you RIS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the priceLuccaDined on 8/23/2014the salad and desert were great. maybe I ordered the wrong thing, but the pork was dry and boring. Not worth the price. Nice atmosphere and great service.
- need to work over lunchHungrybVIPDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful menu...great grilled cheese....quiet enough to think and talk... but busy enough that you do not feel being overheard.Special Features:
- Not necessarily worth the priceelizab54Dined on 8/19/2014Service was fairly slow. Food was good but not great. It does have convenience & location going for it and the wine list was decent.Special Features:
- Always Great.......FCRobVIPDined on 8/17/2014Have eaten at RIS many times. Decided to see what they were doing for restaurant week. Food and service were excellent as always. Definitely a customer for life.Special Features:
- Ris Hits a Home RunRisforfoodiesVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have followed Ris LaCoste since she was the chef at 1789, and hoped that her venture into restaurant ownership would succeed. It has, and we keep coming back. Her menus are creative and delicious, and they are great value for the money. We brought French friends, who are extremely picky eaters and very ethnocentric and they were very favorably impressed. We have also brought foodie friends and they loved it. The Restaurant Week menu was exceptional--as Ris told us, it's an opportunity for a restaurant to show off so customers will keep coming back. This is a philosophy that many restaurants around town haven't figured out, instead serving little better than pre-plated TV dinners. We love Ris, and we love Ris LaCosteSpecial Features:
- Great food, great servicejliu31VIPDined on 8/16/2014My friends and I decided to try out Ris during DC Restaurant Week. Most DC restaurants will offer an alternative menu with smaller portions during restaurant week, but not Ris. They definitely exceeded our expectations. For my entree, I ordered the pork chop, and it was probably one of the best tasting pork chops I've ever had. The meat was grilled to perfection, and the accompanying sauces were so delectable. One would not think that peaches and blackberries pair well with a pork chop, but the flavors blended together so well. For the dessert, we had the chocolate peanut butter cake, which was a great way to round out an excellent meal. We will be back, even when it's not restaurant week.Special Features:
- Great MealTastysearchDined on 8/15/2014Things don't change at RIS -- great food, excellent service, nice ambience. Tasty creations from the kitchen that combine various ingredients to stimulate the palette. Restaurant Week allowed us to sample a variety of dishes and choose a very good bottle of wine for a moderate price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findTina818Dined on 8/15/2014We went to this restaurant for Restaurant week and were very pleased. All the food was great. Wine was decent. We sat outside on what was a lovely August evening. Ambulances going to GW were noisy - but well worth sitting outside. Highly recommend this place. Great feel and food well done.Special Features:
- Inventive food prepared wellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014The recipes are new without being avant garde, everything was cooked & seasoned perfectly. It's a bit pricy, but they are worth what they charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but the service!FoodloverVIPDined on 8/14/2014We dined at Ris one ight this week. The food was fatastic as usual but the service and ambience were amongst the worse I ever experienced. The noise lavel was over 70 for most of the time we were there and the temperature inside the restaurant was polar. But th eworse was the waiter. Enough to say that he reached out across my full plate while I was eating the starter to give me the silverware for the main course. I literally had to stop eating!! and he brought us the check without offering us coffee, etc. Given the noise and the freezing temperature we were happy to be rrushed out but we felt totally unwelcome.Special Features:
- Always GreatDinersVIPDined on 8/14/2014RIS always comes through with wonderful food and a great wine list, even during DC Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceselfDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant Week August 2014 office group lunch where everyone loved their dishes.Special Features:
- maryVIPDined on 8/13/2014Every time we eat at Ris seems like a revelation on how good the food is. This time the best pick (of course, everything else was wonderful too) was a rockfish with a delicious assortment of interesting vegetables on the plate. I is so nice to have vegetables taken so seriously and served in large enough portions relative to the protein to really enjoy. This was followed by a truly amazing dessert of lemon merangue tart with and almond crust and buttermilk ice cream. There was lavendar and lemon verbena in there too. It was actually gluten free but delicious for anyone. The wine list is also interesting with many out-of-the-box by the glass choices. The restaurant is on the quiet side and the servers are friendly and knowledgeableSpecial Features:
- Always a great meal at RISraaoneVIPDined on 8/12/2014I am always impressed by the food at RIS, whether there for a special occasion or for a regular dinner. We enjoyed their Restaurant Week menu and did not feel like they cut corners in ANY way due to it being Restaurant Week, like some establishments do. I am 8 months pregnant and when I told the waiter I was starving, all three courses came out super quick! Great service, wonderful fresh food, and a relaxing atmosphere- what more can you ask for?Special Features: