2275 L Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://risdc.com/
- Phone: 2027302500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Lunch: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
"Rush Hour", our Happy Hour, is available from 4 to 6:30pm.
Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Late Lunch: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Our pre-theatre "Marquee Menu" is available daily from 4 to 6:30pm, and after 10pm Monday through Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ris Lacoste
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: RIS Catering offers corporate deliveries, dinner and drinks in your home, holiday parties, weddings and more!
For more details contact Erin Socia-Hernandez at 202-730-2507 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: RIS has three beautiful spaces to host every event from business meetings to rehearsal dinners. We are also available for buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Morrison 2027302508x
- Special Events: RIS offers three beautiful private dining spaces for every occasion from business dinners to wedding rehearsals. The State Room is our smallest and most intimate dining room, seating a maximum of 10 guests. The Federal Room seats up to 35 guests, and comfortably accommodates up to 45 for a standing cocktail reception. The Main Dining Room accommodates 40 guests, and when coupled with the adjacent State Room, seats to 50 diners. We also have other options for group dining, including two banquettes that seat up to 16 guests. For more casual receptions, the Cafe area next to our bar is a great location for a standing cocktail reception. Contact Katie Morrison at email@example.com to book your special event!
- Cross Street: 23rd
- Public Transit: From Foggy Bottom Metro (Orange and Blue Lines)
1. As you exit the Metro, turn left onto 23rd Street.
2. At the traffic circle, take the 5th exit and continue on 23rd Street.
3. Walk one block.
4. Turn right at L Street NW.
RIS will be across the street on the left.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available in the evenings after 6:30pm Monday-Friday, and 5:00pm Saturday & Sunday. The valet stand is on L Street outside of our main entrance.
There is also an open-air parking lot, Systems Parking, located across the street from RIS at 1120 23rd Street NW.
A word from RIS
A neighborhood restaurant, serving seasonal American creations by chef Ris Lacoste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
RIS reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (160)neighborhood gem (123)special occasion (105)great for lunch (81)good for groups (73)great for outdoor dining (63)notable wine list (56)great for brunch (42)romantic (35)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- High expectations disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2014Was Ris in the kitchen? Hopefully not and they were a bit out of control in his absence. Nicely designed dishes but a lack of subtlety in the flavors throughout
- RISRISrestaurantDined on 10/29/2014What a wonderful restaurant. Every meal I have had was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome but, oh my fire trucksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014If you're used to outside dining in dc it's one thing--but I hosted out of town work associates for lunch on a perfect day so we sat outside. It's right on a frequent emergency vehicle exit route from the ststion which made for a few awkward long siren filled gaps in convo. Aside from that the service and food are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud to enjoyDiner4Dined on 10/25/2014The noise level was unbelievable. We asked - after arrival - if we could be seated at a booth and were told no. We were a party of four surrounded by noisy tables.
- Excellent food & service, as alwaysJlowe88VIPDined on 10/23/2014Rid never disappoints. Interesting options for lunch with local, fresh ingredients. The collard greens are one if my favorites. So glad they are still on the menu! My friend ordered from the special pre fixe menu and all three courses were exceptional. The apple crumble cake was sublime. The service is always great also. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday lunchfoodmavenVIPDined on 10/21/2014We loved the seasonal menu. The squash soup, the salad, the scallops and the cake were all terrific. The plate with my cake came decorated with a Happy Birthday message and a candle. It was a lovely lunch and a great way to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:
- DivinediningVIPDined on 10/20/2014As always a superb dining experience! The service was perfect blending attentiveness with great timing in terms of delivery of the meal. On my top list of three favourite restaurants in WDC.Special Features:
- good food, great serviceflevyVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food was good, commensurate with its cost. The service, however, was outstanding. The salad for one of the diners was too peppery and she did not eat much of it. Without fanfare, the waiter noticed it, asked quietly and brought out another salad. All in all, a very favorable experience.
- Amazing BrunchDavisfolksVIPDined on 10/19/2014Really great food and top notch service. Lots of choices on the menu to appeal to everyone's taste buds. They also have a lot of options in terms of quanity of food, offering small plates, entrees, and side dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant for brunch. I hope to try it for dinner sometime too.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014We had a nice table for two by the window; not too close to others for quiet, private conversation. Our server, Madar, was fabulous. Butterscotch pudding fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!MarcVIPDined on 10/11/2014Eating at RIS is like eating at a friend's home, just add lovely restaurant ambience, a nice buzz, and unique food. Pure pleasure. RIS is both part of its neighborhood and suitable for special occasions. Ris LaCoste has made sure that all her patrons are treated as friends and part of her extended family. Her food is characterized by freshness and a use of unexpected ingredients that do things to food to heighten it in ways you haven't tasted before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodwellservedDined on 10/10/2014Eating at Ris is always a pleasure. The food is delicious--flavorful, interesting combinations of ingredients, textures, and colors.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch; great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/10/2014The food was wonderful. The pork belly on polenta (actually more like Southern corn pudding) was marvelous. The roasted butternut squash soup was nearly as good as what I make at home. My friend and I don't drink, but the single-batch (Tennessee and Kentucky styles alike) whiskey list was extensive. Excellent, friendly service. This was my first trip to RIS; it certainly will not be my last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for business or pleasurewhipswVIPDined on 10/9/2014Ris is well located and has a good menu for business or personal lunch or dinner. It is in a good location for an outdoor lunch or a later dinner (once rush hour subsides as there is a lot of traffic off the sidewalf during rush hour). The menu changes on a regular basis and it is varied--from hamburgers to fancy fish and seafood.Special Features:
- Not up to expectations.RaftmasterVIPDined on 10/7/2014We enjoyed a perfectly nice meal here but it wasn't anything special. Service was adequate. My grilled trout was virtually tasteless. Won't hurry back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!AllieGVIPDined on 10/5/2014RIS keeps getting better and better. The service was impeccable. Every dish was exquisite. The variety on the menu was incredible, from tasting menus to small plates. We dined before theater and the staff kept everything coming so that we didn't have to rush. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near Kennedy CenterlylacVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our reservations were for 5:45, but we didn't arrive until 6:10 because of traffic and a couple wrong turns. The restaurant was very nice and said they'd get us out by 7:30, in time for our 8 p.m. reservation at the Kennedy Center. We used the valet parking for $10. For a Saturday night, the restaurant was not crowded. It has a nice ambience. My husband ordered from the pre-theater menu. He thought the butternut squash soup was delicious and enjoyed the mushroom pasta special and his pudding type dessert. I got the scallops which were delicious and served with sautéed spinach and mushrooms. Our waitress Colbie was super! We left at 7:25 and made it to the Kennedy Center on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traffic was REALLY badDHPX2VIPDined on 10/2/2014And we were late. No problem. The staff told us to take a deep breathe and relax. We listened and all the bad traffic went away. Plus a great dinner with great drinks helped too!Special Features:
- Consistently good!MgPjVIPDined on 10/2/2014Ris can always be counted onto be fine food, great service, and outstanding experience. Can trust to bring guests or to recommend this restaurant to friends. We always get to Theatre on time as the servers are very conscious of our expressed time-schedule. Food is always outstanding. Desserts could use a bit more European style, and 'less-homey' selections, but this seems to be the current fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid choiceluvwineDined on 10/1/2014Food was tasty though not especially exciting in either presentation or taste. Service was functional but a bit slow and often inattentive. Venue (outdoor seating) was pleasant. Wine list is impressive. Value for money the restaurant makes for a solid choice.Special Features:
- A great mealGringoandLatinaDined on 9/30/2014This is our second happy visit -- we can't come often because it is a long drive for us and, well, we can't pay this every day. This Tuesday evening meal was a semi-special occasion and Ris exceeded our expectations. The food was outstanding. I'm not a wine expert and most often I just get a glass at a restaurant, but I thought the wine list a bit pricy even for this class of restaurant. Neverless, I went low end (which was not exactly my definition of low) and we had an excellent Argentina cabernet. Our waiter was helpful and set the right tone. The other servers were very prompt and pleasant. It was a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food , Slow ServiceMsFussyVIPDined on 9/29/2014Our server was overwhelmed. Maybe Ris was understaffed the night we dined. The service seemed exceptionally slow. Our dinners were delicious though! Great salads for starters and wonderful trout and salmon for dinner. We could not sit any longer and so did not contemplate dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIS is a DC FAVORITELuv2eatDined on 9/27/2014Ris is always my first choice, especially when I want to introduce my friends to a really great food experience. I absolutely love everything about Ris and have introduced it to many friends. Outstanding fresh high quality eats, superb service and selection, try it and you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No place we would rather be!DHPX2VIPDined on 9/27/2014Saturday night---wanted something special, wanted a great dinner. There is only one place that met the bill ---RIS! We both had the 3 course supper club and it was PERFECT! Every bite! Service was GREAT! A perfect Saturday evening!Special Features:
- As good as it getsFoodsmithVIPDined on 9/26/2014Superb in every way. Fine, fresh ingredients prepared deliciously. Dining as good as it gets in Washington, DC. Ris, the owner and chef, deserves all the stars in the constellations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but too much saltFoodIsFunInDCDined on 9/25/2014This was a nice meal, top notch service but too much salt in the food. Not to the point where it was inedible BUT enough to interfere with the quality. Nicely platted good quality food other than a very fixable problem of the excess salt. Small plates, great full meals especially flexible service because one of us does not eat sugar and they were very nice to substitute a cheese plate in place of the lovely dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal and terrific serviceSBS50Dined on 9/23/2014Everyone who worked at RIS the night we visited seemed to really enjoy being there. I can see why. The food was terrific, the wine wonderful, the service was friendly, informative, and responsive. It was a week night but fairly busy. Not noisy, just active. All three courses of our meals were outstanding. And the "supper club" menu which we ordered from retained the restaurant week pricing so it was a terrific value. I had not been to RIS in a while, but will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Divine. Delicioius. Delectable. Not to be missed. Ris is an artist in every sense and the ambience is just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octopus Salad is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014Although we had brunch, I asked if I could have octopus salad from the lunch menu. The waiter was very nice and checked with the kitchen and made it possible.I was very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ris will make you smileAmuseboucheDined on 9/19/2014We had another excellent experience at RIS. It is delicious, innovative and reliable.Special Features:
- This is a must-go...palmfanVIPDined on 9/17/2014....as in, you must go here if you have a chance. A great menu, terrific food, wonderful outside seating, terrific and attentive service. Not sure how long incarnation of Chef Ris's talents has been around, but I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to discover it. I'll be back. Again, and again. So should you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIS met all expectationsjgrdinerDined on 9/16/2014Our second time at Ris (last was three years ago) and it met every expectation from exceptional service to excellent food. Staff was superb and the kitchen got everything just right! Felt special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great, first impressionMichaelDined on 9/13/2014We were visiting DC for the weekend and wanted to find a special restaurant to take my wife to celebrate her birthday. The description and reviews on Open Table swayed me to make a reservation for 8:45 pm. With the assistance of a car service, we arrived at approximately 8:40 and were advised we would be seated closer to our reservation time. I figured we could wait 5 minutes at the bar with a glass of wine. This would have been fine if we were not forced to wait 20 minutes for our table and endured a group loudly cheering over a college football game.As you can imagine, my wife is not a football fan. After the longer than expected wait for our table, we were ushered to our cozy table in the dining area where we had a fantastic meal thatSpecial Features:
- Loved it!Luvyoga11Dined on 9/13/2014The food was incredible. Not the typical saucy French food. Service was wonderful. Great atmosphere. We went for our 24th wedding anniversary and the staff went out of their way to make it special. They personalized the dessert and it seemed like the whole place new it was our anniversary wishing us well. They had beautiful private rooms if you ever want to host a special occasion there. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday fundottieDined on 9/12/2014we had a wonderful and varied dinner with a birthday party of 8 on Friday evening. With all the different food needs, it was wonderful that everything could be accommodated, the mussels were great as were the scallops. The skirt steak was a hit too. They made a lovely birthday plate out of cookies and wrote happy birthday in chocolate. They took very good care of us and we look forward to returning there soon.Special Features:
- Lax quality standards and servicegspiceyVIPDined on 9/11/2014The restaurant is built for large group events and warm ambiance but unfortunately their customer service was lacking. The waiter provided limited attention and did not follow up on the status of our food. There was hair in my entrée which I had to alert the waiter to. He took the dish back to the kitchen and brought a new one 15 minutes later without communicating this decision. The manager was notified but failed to make an appearance until after the full bill was paid - perhaps this happens quite often.Special Features:
- RIS on two nightsPeteVIPDined on 9/10/2014We ate at RIS on two consecutive nights; a tale of two restaurants driven by the service. On the first night we had SPECTACULAR service and enjoyed a wonderful meal complimented by excellent wine at a very reasonable price. A definite "Got to go again." We followed up the second evening we two additional friends and the service ruined the evening. One of the guests had a food allergy, explained to the waiter and somehow lost between the waiter and the kitchen. So one meal was discovered to be inedible by one guest. Four entrees arrived at different times, they ran out the wine we were drinking, etc., etc. The manager ended up involved and compensated for one meal, but the evening was lost. Great example of why service really counts!Special Features:
- eatwellOpenTable7Dined on 9/5/2014Three of us went for Restaurant Week extended. The food served was the same. It was outstanding. There was no difference between the weeks. The service was also outstanding. We were treated very well. Two of us had fish and one had pasta. All were wonderful. We also had a salad and dessert. We were stuffed. At all Restaurant Week lunches, including this one, we have always come away raving about the quantity of food, its preparation and the accompanying service. Ris is an outstanding restaurant. I would recommend it to one and all. We look forward to returning there.Special Features:
- Loved it!LuvtoeatdcDined on 9/4/2014Great food. Very good small plates. We all had fish and seafood. All fresh, well prepared and tasty. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Very tasty food, nice menuJadedtravelistaVIPDined on 9/4/2014Just two of us for lunch, were the first to arrive midweek. Friendly staff and warm prompt service throughout. The place filled up quickly starting at noon. We ordered the special - liver and onions - because the preparation looked interesting. It was cooked perfectly (rare, as requested) and the flavors were delicious. We both cleaned our plates (except my friend who left his kale) and were completely satisfied. RIS is convenient walk from Foggy Bottom Metro and has a very congenial bar as well.Special Features: