2275 L Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://risdc.com/
- Phone: 2027302500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Lunch: 11:30am - 5:00pm Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm "Rush Hour", our Happy Hour, is available from 4 to 6:30pm. Saturday Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm Late Lunch: 3:00pm - 5:00pm Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Our pre-theatre "Marquee Menu" is available daily from 4 to 6:30pm, and after 10pm Monday through Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ris Lacoste
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: RIS has three beautiful spaces to host every event from business meetings to rehearsal dinners. We are also available for buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Christenson 2027302508
- Special Events: RIS offers three beautiful private dining spaces for every occasion from business dinners to wedding rehearsals. The State Room is our smallest and most intimate dining room, seating a maximum of 10 guests. The Federal Room seats up to 35 guests, and comfortably accommodates up to 45 for a standing cocktail reception. The Main Dining Room accommodates 40 guests, and when coupled with the adjacent State Room, seats to 50 diners. We also have other options for group dining, including two banquettes that seat up to 16 guests. For more casual receptions, the Cafe area next to our bar is a great location for a standing cocktail reception. Contact Natalie Christenson at firstname.lastname@example.org to book your special event!
- Cross Street: 23rd
- Public Transit: From Foggy Bottom Metro (Orange and Blue Lines) 1. As you exit the Metro, turn left onto 23rd Street. 2. At the traffic circle, take the 5th exit and continue on 23rd Street. 3. Walk one block. 4. Turn right at L Street NW. RIS will be across the street on the left.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available in the evenings after 6:30 during the week, and 5:00 on the weekends. The valet stand is on L Street outside of our main entrance. There is also open-air parking lot, Systems Parking, located across the street from RIS at 1120 23rd Street NW.
A word from RIS
A neighborhood restaurant, serving seasonal American creations by chef Ris Lacoste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
RIS reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (170)special occasion (121)neighborhood gem (117)great for lunch (84)great for outdoor dining (66)great for brunch (59)good for groups (56)romantic (42)notable wine list (39)hot spot (16)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Our Favorite DC RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014When a friend flew into DC and wanted to dine there was no thought of any other restaurant - If your guests only have time for one meal in DC - choose Ris! The grilled fish of the day rotates with the seasons. I have had that selection the last 6 times we have been there. Tonight, since it was black trout, and I don't really like that type of fish I choose the pork chop, my wife had the seafood stew and our friend had the fish. It was all amazing. Save room for the sides. Corn pudding and grits tonight. Grits? Yeah, if you like grits don't miss it. The collard greens were also amazing. This time, for the first time, the service was just average. I don't expect a repeat of it, but was noticeable because normally service is 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday dinner for fourBirdVIPDined on 8/28/2014Super tapas starter--sophisticated anchovy with toasted bread, meats, melon which we shared. Equally creative 3 course supper club menu-- freshest vegetable and fruit. All 4 of us had excellent meals --we will return with other friends soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014Very plesant server. 1st course (two raw items and a salad) took more then 30 minutes...too long!
- Fantastic RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/25/2014Rare it is to find a place where the food, service, ambiance go beyond your expectation.Special Features:
- RIS is great for lunchladybugDined on 8/25/2014We were a large group that went to RIS for lunch. The service for the group was great. The restaurant had a great variety of food so everyone was able to get something they liked. I ordered from the daily menu which gave a sampling of the season's best produce. The food was amazing. I would go back and try the dinner menu. Thank you RIS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the priceLuccaDined on 8/23/2014the salad and desert were great. maybe I ordered the wrong thing, but the pork was dry and boring. Not worth the price. Nice atmosphere and great service.
- need to work over lunchHungrybVIPDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful menu...great grilled cheese....quiet enough to think and talk... but busy enough that you do not feel being overheard.Special Features:
- Not necessarily worth the priceelizab54Dined on 8/19/2014Service was fairly slow. Food was good but not great. It does have convenience & location going for it and the wine list was decent.Special Features:
- Always Great.......FCRobVIPDined on 8/17/2014Have eaten at RIS many times. Decided to see what they were doing for restaurant week. Food and service were excellent as always. Definitely a customer for life.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicejliu31VIPDined on 8/16/2014My friends and I decided to try out Ris during DC Restaurant Week. Most DC restaurants will offer an alternative menu with smaller portions during restaurant week, but not Ris. They definitely exceeded our expectations. For my entree, I ordered the pork chop, and it was probably one of the best tasting pork chops I've ever had. The meat was grilled to perfection, and the accompanying sauces were so delectable. One would not think that peaches and blackberries pair well with a pork chop, but the flavors blended together so well. For the dessert, we had the chocolate peanut butter cake, which was a great way to round out an excellent meal. We will be back, even when it's not restaurant week.Special Features:
- Great MealTastysearchDined on 8/15/2014Things don't change at RIS -- great food, excellent service, nice ambience. Tasty creations from the kitchen that combine various ingredients to stimulate the palette. Restaurant Week allowed us to sample a variety of dishes and choose a very good bottle of wine for a moderate price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findTina818Dined on 8/15/2014We went to this restaurant for Restaurant week and were very pleased. All the food was great. Wine was decent. We sat outside on what was a lovely August evening. Ambulances going to GW were noisy - but well worth sitting outside. Highly recommend this place. Great feel and food well done.Special Features:
- Inventive food prepared wellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014The recipes are new without being avant garde, everything was cooked & seasoned perfectly. It's a bit pricy, but they are worth what they charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but the service!FoodloverVIPDined on 8/14/2014We dined at Ris one ight this week. The food was fatastic as usual but the service and ambience were amongst the worse I ever experienced. The noise lavel was over 70 for most of the time we were there and the temperature inside the restaurant was polar. But th eworse was the waiter. Enough to say that he reached out across my full plate while I was eating the starter to give me the silverware for the main course. I literally had to stop eating!! and he brought us the check without offering us coffee, etc. Given the noise and the freezing temperature we were happy to be rrushed out but we felt totally unwelcome.Special Features:
- Always GreatDinersVIPDined on 8/14/2014RIS always comes through with wonderful food and a great wine list, even during DC Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceselfDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant Week August 2014 office group lunch where everyone loved their dishes.Special Features:
- maryVIPDined on 8/13/2014Every time we eat at Ris seems like a revelation on how good the food is. This time the best pick (of course, everything else was wonderful too) was a rockfish with a delicious assortment of interesting vegetables on the plate. I is so nice to have vegetables taken so seriously and served in large enough portions relative to the protein to really enjoy. This was followed by a truly amazing dessert of lemon merangue tart with and almond crust and buttermilk ice cream. There was lavendar and lemon verbena in there too. It was actually gluten free but delicious for anyone. The wine list is also interesting with many out-of-the-box by the glass choices. The restaurant is on the quiet side and the servers are friendly and knowledgeableSpecial Features:
- Always a great meal at RISraaoneVIPDined on 8/12/2014I am always impressed by the food at RIS, whether there for a special occasion or for a regular dinner. We enjoyed their Restaurant Week menu and did not feel like they cut corners in ANY way due to it being Restaurant Week, like some establishments do. I am 8 months pregnant and when I told the waiter I was starving, all three courses came out super quick! Great service, wonderful fresh food, and a relaxing atmosphere- what more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Rushed service & underseasoned foodSDazzoDined on 8/12/2014My husband and I came for restaurant week. We were hoping to enjoy a nice dinner together but between the waiter (who was too attentive) and the various other staff, they were in such a rush to get us through the meal and out the door. The appetizers were both very good but our entrees were only ok. THe mustard crusted salmon had no taste except crunch and I had to salt and pepper it. The pork chop was not bad, but was very fatty. All in all, i dont think we'll be coming back. I can see, however, that it would probably be a better restaurant to go to not during restaurant week.Special Features:
- Marvelous mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014Simply put, the most recent lunch was delicious: the Blue Cheese Panzanella Salad was sizeable, with the freshest tomatoes possible - I would not be surprised if the kitchen kept a garden out back; the Mustard-Crusted Salmon was expertly prepared at the requested medium doneness and melted in one's mouth, with the inspired beet vinaigrette a perfect foil and the accompanying potatoes/vegetable exactly the right accompaniment to the fish; dessert of Peach Melba Trifle was just the right ending for the meal - light, yet flavorful...the perfect end to a perfect meal. Service is always attentive, and any restaurant that serves simple syrup to accompany their iced tea has figured it out. Prices areSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Restarant week options were excellent value for the price. Before lunch drink was significantly overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many good things to write!luvDCdiningVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our first visit to RIS was during Restaurant Week, so we ordered from the special menu... although it was hard to pass on the fried green tomatoes and butterscotch pudding from the regular menu. The portions were larger than we expected -- large salads and entrees. Everything we ordered was perfectly prepared and the entrees were original. We both ordered the Blue Cheese Panzanella Salad and were happy we did. It was so fresh and light, it could have been straight from the garden. The mustard crusted salmon (prepared medium) with beet vinaigrette was also a favorite, as was the crispy chocolate peanut butter bar with salted caramel ice cream for dessert. Bottom line: We will be back!Special Features:
- Lunch at RisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Amazing service, impeccable food, beautiful space. A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavy food for AugustAmyfromOaktonDined on 8/9/2014Two of the three specials, on the $35 tasting menu, were beef based and I don't eat beef. The third special was a cheese dumpling, which was not what I want to eat on a hot August night. So the $35 tasting menu was not an option for me. Mussels were dry, although the broth was delicious. Salads, basil lemonade, and bread were good. Service and ambiance were excellent.
- RISDinerDined on 8/7/2014A nice place, the food is excelent and well served, the service is kind, the wine list is small but very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch and great serviceLoveToEatDCVIPDined on 8/3/2014We have been here for brunch quite a few times now The freshly baked biscuits are amazing - my kids can't stop eating them! Other favorites are the Farmers' Market Omelet and the Portuguese seafood stew, which is a tad salty but otherwise wonderful flavors. And save room for the butterscotch pudding! Also to note - our son has multiple food allergies and the servers are always knowledgeable and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Getting better againellenefrosVIPDined on 8/2/2014RIS is nothing if not inconsistent, but dinner the other night was pleasant. She is trying to change up her menu which is a welcome relief from the same dishes over and over. There is still too much going on in some of the entrees. Keeping them simpler would be better.Special Features:
- A disappointmentpumpkinDined on 8/2/2014We went to Ris after reading good reviews and anticipated having a delicious birthday dinner. Unfortunately, the offerings were limited for non-meat eaters and there were only two fish dishes for us to consider on the menu. (Please, fish stew is not a good offering for summer!) Both of those dishes 'striped bass' and 'rockfish' turned out to be the same fish. After the rockfish was described, it sounded fine, but on arrival it was mostly dark meat and inedible. We had already exchanged an ill-conceived cocktail for a glass of wine and I was reluctant to return the fish, not wanting to make my husband eat by himself. That said, the first course-corn soup and salad-was nice, but the salad over-salted. Dessert was nice and service good.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2014A meal at Ris is always special. We went for dinner before a show at the Kennedy Center. We had the blackberry-apricot salad appetizer, filet mignon and grilled bass entrees, and espresso ice cream and chocolate-apricot desserts. Each dish was, as always, delicious, original and beautifully presented. Our server was so gracious and knowlegable. We wanted to stay longer, but had to leave for the show. Ris is one of the best places to go for an excellent unique meal and a comfortable, relaxed enjoyable time. Bravo!!Special Features:
- outstandingarlmacDined on 7/30/2014RIS is a gem in DC...food is always creative and outstanding....using only the best ingredients this restaurant with its superb service is one not to be missed.Special Features:
- Ris is a mustSupInDCDined on 7/28/2014Great service and a very friendly staff. We went with a fairly large group. The menu is great. The salmon was a bit too spicy for some at our table, but the pork chop and crab cake were very good. The pork chop comes with spoon bread - if you've never had spoon bread, it's absolutely worth trying. It's a very traditional Southern side dish. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/26/2014Really good food, nice space, good service and lots of options for you to dine the way you want to. Really good mixed drinks.
- sugaroneVIPDined on 7/26/2014We always look forward to returning to RIS. Very friendly and welcoming, food is delicious and the selection is varied. Try it - you will put it on your list of favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Ate lunch there recently. Quiet enough for a business lunch, but not so quiet that it seemed dead. Food was fantastic, service was excellent and cost was not outrageous. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great lunch at RISNativediner1Dined on 7/21/2014Took a retiring colleague to lunch at RIS and we were not disappointed. Food was excellent, staff was available, but not overbearing and prices were in line with what I would expect from an establishment of this type. Greeters at door were friendly, but not overwhelming. For lunch next time at RIS, will be trying the bar area.Special Features:
- Good food pace a little slowBillmurrayDined on 7/20/2014Food was above average. Service adequate. Good wine selections. Pace a little slow. Took a while to get dessert and checks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just becauseDHPX2VIPDined on 7/19/2014We don't need an excuse to go to RIS but we parked once and saw a movie at West End. And then walked over to RIS. THE perfect Saturday date!Special Features:
- delicious and lovelywarmerisbetterDined on 7/19/2014So fun! We started the night at the bar with two delicious cocktails. A Tamarita and something with vodka and a lychee in it. The bartender was great and knowledgeable AND he introduced us to the sommelier. A couple of lovely glasses of wine later we had a sumptuous meal. I highly recommend this restaurant. GO or buy someone you love a gift certificate to Ris.Special Features:
- The best place for special occasionDHPX2VIPDined on 7/18/2014We were taking a friend out for a belated birthday. There is NO place else we would go. Best with food and service. It was a great evening!Special Features:
- Ris is dependably fabulousSusanVIPDined on 7/17/2014This was my third time at Ris, where I've dined twice for dinner and once for lunch. We sat outside on the terrace on a lovely evening, had great food and wine, and were attended by an excellent waitress. I highly recommend Ris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.