2275 L Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://risdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 730-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Lunch: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
"Rush Hour", our Happy Hour, is available from 4 to 6:30pm.
Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Late Lunch: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Our pre-theatre "Marquee Menu" is available daily from 4 to 6:30pm, and after 10pm Monday through Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ris Lacoste
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: RIS Catering offers corporate deliveries, dinner and drinks in your home, holiday parties, weddings and more!
For more details contact Erin Socia-Hernandez at 202-730-2507 or at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: RIS has three beautiful spaces to host every event from business meetings to rehearsal dinners. We are also available for buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Morrison 2027302508x
- Special Events: RIS offers three beautiful private dining spaces for every occasion from business dinners to wedding rehearsals. The State Room is our smallest and most intimate dining room, seating a maximum of 10 guests. The Federal Room seats up to 35 guests, and comfortably accommodates up to 45 for a standing cocktail reception. The Main Dining Room accommodates 40 guests, and when coupled with the adjacent State Room, seats to 50 diners. We also have other options for group dining, including two banquettes that seat up to 16 guests. For more casual receptions, the Cafe area next to our bar is a great location for a standing cocktail reception. Contact Katie Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org to book your special event!
- Cross Street: 23rd
- Public Transit: From Foggy Bottom Metro (Orange and Blue Lines)
1. As you exit the Metro, turn left onto 23rd Street.
2. At the traffic circle, take the 5th exit and continue on 23rd Street.
3. Walk one block.
4. Turn right at L Street NW.
RIS will be across the street on the left.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available in the evenings after 6:30pm Monday-Friday, and 5:00pm Saturday & Sunday. The valet stand is on L Street outside of our main entrance.
There is also an open-air parking lot, Systems Parking, located across the street from RIS at 1120 23rd Street NW.
A word from RIS
A neighborhood restaurant, serving seasonal American creations by chef Ris Lacoste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
RIS reviews from OpenTable diners
266 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (167)neighborhood gem (132)special occasion (111)great for lunch (78)good for groups (76)notable wine list (62)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (42)great for brunch (37)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/20/2014Did not have an A Game this past Thursday. Waited a long time to visit this restaurant.
- Outstanding servicePoppi47VIPDined on 11/20/2014We were headed to the Kennedy Center. Our waiter was attentive, engaged, and communicative throughout our meal so we knew we would be done on schedule to meet our curtain time. Food was delicious and wine by the glass choices were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable (Lamb Shank, Mushroom Pasta....)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014This was my third visit to Ris and I really enjoyed the Lamb Shank and the mushroom pasta. I met the Chef/Owner a few years ago and she was so hospitable and provided free samples at the bar. I like the restaurant and will definitely go back! Chocolate Martini was good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at RISPaulDined on 11/15/2014I liked the flavors in my entree -- scallops - and the lemon meringue tart for dessert was rich and creamy. The main negative for me -- probably should have mentioned it to the waitress -- the scallops were warm when they came to the table but I think they should have been even warmer -- the last couple of bits were cool, and I'm not a slow eater. Seemed to be cool too quickly. On plus side, I liked the look of the restaurant, and the atmosphere was good, full of happy people. We had a nice waitress and were well looked after by the waitstaff. Will go back again at some point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another outstanding eveninganonymousDined on 11/15/2014This is about our 5th visit. The food is always outstanding. The menu has a great variety and it is never set formula menu like a steak house. Had scallops and pot pie. Both were delicious. The crust on the pot pie was really great. Perfect on a cold day. Server is knowledgeable with great recommendations and right amount of checking on us. The hot apple pie was great with very thinly sliced apples. I think of this as a top-tier restaurant that while is not something I can do all the time, does provide a good value for an incredible dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Royal ExperinceRaybDined on 11/12/2014Dining at Ris is a rich experience. The decor, the lighting, and the layout create a vibrant stage for enjoying the signature flavors, textures, and elegantly served dishes that flow from the kitchen. Ris offers an extensive menu and has a flair for combining unexpected ingredients, such as pomegrante seeds on a grilled swordfish steak, that delight the palate. Don't miss the baked Alaska!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- average food, some glitzes.P176VIPDined on 11/11/2014Overall good, but the stake was tough, there was no bread served. Service attentive but in ahurry to finish with us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SpecialjohnoVIPDined on 11/9/2014We reserved an early Sunday table after a matinee of Little Dancer at Kennedy Center (great show by the way). It was a perfect choice. The space is contemporary yet warm and welcoming. We were given a booth as requested. There were both a tasting menu option and a prix fixe option, which was nice. The prix fixe was excellent: endive salad, skirt steak and butterscotch pudding. My wife had the roasted chicken which was also excellent. Understated but efficient service and nice ambience as the restaurant filled. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/7/2014RIS remains one of our favorite DC restautants. Beautiful, contemporary atmosphere, tables well spaced for conversation -- coupled with a great menu and always fresh, delicious food. Service is consistently first rate. The reasoonably priced valet service also makes RIS very accessible in what is otherwise the parking challenged West End. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Won't return.DorianaVIPDined on 11/7/2014RIS is an elegant and lively restaurant. Service was good and we had a decent meal. We'd wanted to try it for a while but we probably won't return. The appetizer--chicken liver parfait ($10)--was our best course. It was superb. Both entrees, the pork chop ($33) and the seafood stew ($34), were underwhelming. The pork chop does not come close to the tasty one served at Dish+Drinks (a more modest restaurant in the same neighborhood) as the chop's too mushy. The seafood stew is blander than the one served at Farmers, Fishers, Bakers. The portions are quite large and we skipped dessert.
- Romantic Dinner 4 Boyfriend's B-dayDeAudraDined on 11/7/2014RIS was fantastic and extremely romantic! I called RIS to let them know I was running a few mintues late; the person on the other end of the phone was very energtic and nice. I was able to get my car valeted and was sitted immediately. Food was great. I ordered the Fresh Ricotta Gnudi for an appetizer and the Portoguese Style Skirt Steak for my entrée. I would definately come back and recommend everyone to dine at RIS!Special Features:
- 1st Time for lunchGoodfoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014I've had several very delicious dinners at Ris but this is the first time I've been for lunch. I had the grilled Octopus salad and it was pitch perfect as a delightful blend of textures and tastes for a light lunch.... But there were many other appealing choices. Service was only average but the staff called me w/in minutes to alert me that I had left my credit card... So very high marks for that! Parking at lunch is HARD b/c the lot across the street is now part of a construction site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 st dateUnobetDined on 11/3/2014This was a win for me.... Since this was a 1st date, I did a lot of research to find a place that had a good menu and reviews. For us this was a good 1 st date dinner. We actually talked over dinner because the music was not overbearing. The staff checked on us every 5 min which was a little much....Special Features:
- lovely autumn eveningseekingqualityDined on 11/2/2014Met an old friend at RIS on a Sunday evening in November. The dining room had soothing lighting and was pretty on an autumn evening. The noise level was low, which made the setting ideal for conversation. The service was superb, and the food was nicely presented and flavorful--from appetizers through dessert. The wine we ordered was delicious. Overall, a very good choice.Special Features:
- terrific servicefirsttimedinerDined on 11/2/2014We all were pleased with choosing RIS to dine. We loved the Ricotta appetizer, mussels, and Octopus salad. I tried the scallops entree, which was terrific, and my husband enjoyed to e seafood stew. The service, however, was excellent and the ambiance was delightful. Were were able to comfortably converse without alot of noise, so common in popular spots these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDCMO71Dined on 11/1/2014plenty of better places in DC at the same price point.
- JoeyVIPDined on 10/31/2014Incredibly knowledgable & attentive service, original menu different from everything else in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2014Was Ris in the kitchen? Hopefully not and they were a bit out of control in his absence. Nicely designed dishes but a lack of subtlety in the flavors throughout
- VERY good food' pleasant ambiance.hillfoodloverVIPDined on 10/29/2014Food was generally terrific. My husband and I both had salads to start and they were outstanding. We both had the same reaction: better than most of the green salads we've had in restaurants. Greens were almost beefy but not strong, and the dressing was lovely. The net result was a great-tasting green salad. I had lamb shank which was excellent. My husband had the seafood stew, and rates it "very good." Wine recommendations from the waiter were very good albeit pricy. Baked alaska was the only disappointment, but not a complete bust.Special Features:
- One of my favorites!Mad4FoodVIPDined on 10/29/2014We all lucked out when renowned DC chef Ris LaCoste opened up her own great restaurant after putting 1789 on the culinary map. RIS has become a favorite of mine and all my friends and when, as in this case, I have out-of-town guests, I know it's a place where we will enjoy the delicious food, the casual elegant ambience and the friendly service. And, the extra bonus is that tables are set far enough apart and the music is not blasting such that you can actually enjoy your conversation. Thanks, Ris!Special Features:
- RISRISrestaurantDined on 10/29/2014What a wonderful restaurant. Every meal I have had was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- above average.muchoOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/28/2014visiting from out of town; discovered on open table; returned for another night. no reservation in recommendation.Special Features:
- Awesome but, oh my fire trucksVesuviusDined on 10/28/2014If you're used to outside dining in dc it's one thing--but I hosted out of town work associates for lunch on a perfect day so we sat outside. It's right on a frequent emergency vehicle exit route from the ststion which made for a few awkward long siren filled gaps in convo. Aside from that the service and food are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud to enjoyDiner4Dined on 10/25/2014The noise level was unbelievable. We asked - after arrival - if we could be seated at a booth and were told no. We were a party of four surrounded by noisy tables.
- Excellent food & service, as alwaysJlowe88VIPDined on 10/23/2014Rid never disappoints. Interesting options for lunch with local, fresh ingredients. The collard greens are one if my favorites. So glad they are still on the menu! My friend ordered from the special pre fixe menu and all three courses were exceptional. The apple crumble cake was sublime. The service is always great also. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday lunchfoodmavenVIPDined on 10/21/2014We loved the seasonal menu. The squash soup, the salad, the scallops and the cake were all terrific. The plate with my cake came decorated with a Happy Birthday message and a candle. It was a lovely lunch and a great way to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:
- DivinediningVIPDined on 10/20/2014As always a superb dining experience! The service was perfect blending attentiveness with great timing in terms of delivery of the meal. On my top list of three favourite restaurants in WDC.Special Features:
- good food, great serviceflevyVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food was good, commensurate with its cost. The service, however, was outstanding. The salad for one of the diners was too peppery and she did not eat much of it. Without fanfare, the waiter noticed it, asked quietly and brought out another salad. All in all, a very favorable experience.
- Amazing BrunchDavisfolksVIPDined on 10/19/2014Really great food and top notch service. Lots of choices on the menu to appeal to everyone's taste buds. They also have a lot of options in terms of quanity of food, offering small plates, entrees, and side dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant for brunch. I hope to try it for dinner sometime too.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014We had a nice table for two by the window; not too close to others for quiet, private conversation. Our server, Madar, was fabulous. Butterscotch pudding fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!MarcVIPDined on 10/11/2014Eating at RIS is like eating at a friend's home, just add lovely restaurant ambience, a nice buzz, and unique food. Pure pleasure. RIS is both part of its neighborhood and suitable for special occasions. Ris LaCoste has made sure that all her patrons are treated as friends and part of her extended family. Her food is characterized by freshness and a use of unexpected ingredients that do things to food to heighten it in ways you haven't tasted before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodwellservedDined on 10/10/2014Eating at Ris is always a pleasure. The food is delicious--flavorful, interesting combinations of ingredients, textures, and colors.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch; great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was wonderful. The pork belly on polenta (actually more like Southern corn pudding) was marvelous. The roasted butternut squash soup was nearly as good as what I make at home. My friend and I don't drink, but the single-batch (Tennessee and Kentucky styles alike) whiskey list was extensive. Excellent, friendly service. This was my first trip to RIS; it certainly will not be my last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for business or pleasurewhipswVIPDined on 10/9/2014Ris is well located and has a good menu for business or personal lunch or dinner. It is in a good location for an outdoor lunch or a later dinner (once rush hour subsides as there is a lot of traffic off the sidewalf during rush hour). The menu changes on a regular basis and it is varied--from hamburgers to fancy fish and seafood.Special Features:
- Not up to expectations.RaftmasterVIPDined on 10/7/2014We enjoyed a perfectly nice meal here but it wasn't anything special. Service was adequate. My grilled trout was virtually tasteless. Won't hurry back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!AllieGVIPDined on 10/5/2014RIS keeps getting better and better. The service was impeccable. Every dish was exquisite. The variety on the menu was incredible, from tasting menus to small plates. We dined before theater and the staff kept everything coming so that we didn't have to rush. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near Kennedy CenterlylacVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our reservations were for 5:45, but we didn't arrive until 6:10 because of traffic and a couple wrong turns. The restaurant was very nice and said they'd get us out by 7:30, in time for our 8 p.m. reservation at the Kennedy Center. We used the valet parking for $10. For a Saturday night, the restaurant was not crowded. It has a nice ambience. My husband ordered from the pre-theater menu. He thought the butternut squash soup was delicious and enjoyed the mushroom pasta special and his pudding type dessert. I got the scallops which were delicious and served with sautéed spinach and mushrooms. Our waitress Colbie was super! We left at 7:25 and made it to the Kennedy Center on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traffic was REALLY badDHPX2VIPDined on 10/2/2014And we were late. No problem. The staff told us to take a deep breathe and relax. We listened and all the bad traffic went away. Plus a great dinner with great drinks helped too!Special Features:
- Consistently good!MgPjVIPDined on 10/2/2014Ris can always be counted onto be fine food, great service, and outstanding experience. Can trust to bring guests or to recommend this restaurant to friends. We always get to Theatre on time as the servers are very conscious of our expressed time-schedule. Food is always outstanding. Desserts could use a bit more European style, and 'less-homey' selections, but this seems to be the current fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid choiceluvwineDined on 10/1/2014Food was tasty though not especially exciting in either presentation or taste. Service was functional but a bit slow and often inattentive. Venue (outdoor seating) was pleasant. Wine list is impressive. Value for money the restaurant makes for a solid choice.Special Features: