Riptide by the Bay
1718 Thames St
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Riptide by the Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.riptidebythebay.net/
- Phone: 4107323474x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Chef Ronald Chicas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music! Please see our website calendar for upcoming bands.
A word from Riptide by the Bay
Riptide by the Bay is the result of atmosphere and culinary experience, utilizing local Chesapeake seafood that combines West Coast flavors and Baltimore’s Traditional Roots. More than a seafood restaurant and crabhouse, Riptide houses innovation and entertainment while overlooking the beautiful waterfront in Historic Fells Point. Riptide is alive with a flavor and acclaim that has consistently made us one of the best restaurants in Charm City! Fresh. Colorful. Fun. Riptide by the Bay is where the locals lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Riptide by the Bay - Best Restaurants in Fells Point ›
Riptide by the Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)vibrant bar scene (28)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (22)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (17)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (10)great for brunch (8)special occasion (7)romantic (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Sticky, Limp and LameScubasanDined on 8/11/2014I haven't sat at a table this sticky since the aftermath of kindergarten lunch, but we were getting crabs so we knew it would get covered with butcher paper. But that sticky table predicted the meal to come. The waitress warned us the crabs were only medium and small and she was right. Not bad, but not much. The Hawaiian Ahi Poke was delicious but it was spoiled by the stale pita chips. That limpness extended to their french fries which drooped in what had to be days old oil. The grilled mahi mahi taco was bland. The only plate that succeeded was the gouda Burger, despite the stinginess of the gouda, but.... it's a burger. The $5 Margaritas almost blunted the effect, but not enough.
- What Fun!surfermermaidDined on 8/9/2014We were in Baltimore, setting up a college apartment for my niece. We walked to the restaurant, (so I can't speak for parking) and ordered crabs, waiting for her to arrive. She got to the table when the seafood arrived, and what a display! She loved it! We tried three different appetizers, and three different entrees: everyone was happy with what they received. The service was too quick between courses...tell them to slow down. :) I had the Ahi appetizer. Excellent. Fluke for dinner with macadamia crunch on top, NOT deep fried or covered with any kind of batter or nonsense, served over mushrooms and fresh flash stir fried snap peas. Perfect. Loved this place. WILL go back with my husband when we visit our niece!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/9/2014Riptide was good... my husband had the crabs, and he was very pleased. I chose a Restaurant Week lunch, and had only one small piece of Mahi Mahi in each of my 2 fish(?)tacos, and 2 small rectangles of polenta for an appetizer. My cucumber basil gimlet was excellent, and I would love the recipe! Our server seemed to be somewhat inattentive, sitting down when the place was very busy. Not sure we would return because there are other places we prefer in Fell's.Special Features:
- Good dinner spot in Fells Ptkeelyk1125Dined on 8/8/2014Went to for restaurant week, ended up ordering off the regular menu because we couldn't resist the scallops with lobster risotto. Scallops were good but not great, as i've had better. The crab dip appetizer was yummy, had a kick without being too spicy. Overall a good middle of the road dinner spot in fells, I wouldn't go there for a special occasion, but it was a step above bar food.Special Features:
- YummmJayelekaiyDined on 8/7/2014Lobster ravioli and tarragon mussels- TDF- to die for!!! Great spot right in fells across from the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazingneighborhood catch, love!kaileyDined on 8/6/2014We came here for restaurant week and the food was absolutely fabulous. I got the fried oysters, which were thankfully lightly fried so you could taste the quality of the oysters, which was excellent. Then I ordered for my dinner the swordfish skewers. Riptide in fact has the best swordfish. I had swordfish at Kali's court and it was much better at riptide. It was juicy, soft, and fresh. Then I got beignets which were good. The cocktails at riptide are amazing. A great price for what they give you. I was really impressed wth their cucumber. The cucumber chili cooler was amazing! I'm definitely going back. You must try! Also our waitress was great and gave us wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small crabs, but great flavorSinecioDined on 8/6/2014Service was great, and the food was also very good. The peel & eat shrimp were fantastic. I wish we'd been there on a day they had larger crabs. Only the small crabs were available.Special Features:
- First Dining ExperienceBeachCruiserDined on 8/4/2014This was our first visit to Riptide By The Bay. Service was great, good selection of craft brews and the food was excellent. We were there during restaurant week and the choices fit our tastes. Key Lime Pie...yummy. Great way to finish the meal. Go there. Go now.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekpmrthirdVIPDined on 8/4/2014Wanted to try something new for Restaurant week since I was in Baltimore for business. Never been before. Ordered the fried oysters for appetizer and fluke for entrée. Both were good and enjoyed but for restaurant week, I probably should have choose someplace else. I enjoyed the meal, just should have went on a normal day if that make sense. I'd like to go back and try other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the hypeAjohnson711Dined on 8/3/2014After exploring Baltimore and the adorable neighborhood of Fells Point while on vacation, we wanted to try some good seafood. The service is lacking. Our waiter was not very attentive to our table, though he spent much time at the table next to us. I asked his opinion regarding two different dishes I was trying to decide between and he had no opinions and seemed bothered that I was asking. Additionally, my mother ordered the fish and chips and the fish was not properly seasoned at all. The batter was good, but the fish itself just fell flat. I ordered the tilapia fish tacos which had a very good flavor, but there was almost no fish. it was an amount equivalent to my pinky finger in length and width-not worth the money. Wouldn't go back.
- Nice place, bad serviceFoodisFunDined on 8/3/2014I was really excited about taking my friends to a restaurant in Fells Point for brunch before they headed back out of town. The food was pretty good but the service took away from everything. Because we had seven people, the tip was included and clearly that meant our waiter didn't have to be nice or even pay attention to us. I don't think I'll be back any time soon.Special Features:
- Can't hear yourself talk!GoingOutShouldBeFunDined on 8/2/2014This Fells Point joint, like many others, is basically a bar that serves food. If you want to talk to anyone without screaming, it's NOT the place to go. If you want relax -- other than by drinking -- it's NOT the place to go. Wait staff horribly overworked. Cannot comment on food because noise level was so overwhelming only had one drink and left.Special Features:
- Wouldn't go back...JohnnyODined on 8/2/2014Riptide by the Bay was definitely a place that worries more about presentation of the food and the plate looking good, rather than focusing on taste and quality. Our server was not very attentive and disappeared after we placed a dessert order. We were later told our server left and we were transferred to another waitress and she was unaware of the change. I can't recommend this restaurant after this experience.
- Riptide by the BaycjmcgovDined on 8/2/2014The staff were very good but the food was just ok. What was really annoying is we went for lunch and ended up being served two small appetizers. The food was kind of cold as well. It wasn't worth the 15$ per person we paid.
- Remember, it's a bar.MichaelVIPDined on 8/2/2014We knew nothing about Riptide before eating there. If you keep in mind that it's a bar that serves pretty good food and not a restaurant with a bar you should be fine. However, if they try to seat you at the both by the hostess stand, request somewhere else. That's where the wait staff likes to congregate and hang out with each other. It's also where a waiters' station is complete with bus trays. If you sit there you'll be treated to the waitstaff hanging on your seat back, standing so close to your table that their butts are practically on it, and so much noise you can't have a conversation. That said, our waiter was very good. He was the only one we saw who seemed like a professional. Everyone else looked like they were just hanging out.Special Features:
- Looking for a place to eatFoodiolgaDined on 8/1/2014when you go out to eat and are paying a reasonable price, the food should taste better than what you cook at home. This is how I grade restaurants. I'm not a fantastic cook, but I can read a recipe and follow directions. Our waiter Clarence was superb, anticipating every need. having worked at a 5 star restaurant while in college I know not to ever send food back. I just will never go back. For appetizer, I had tuna tartare. The tuna was obviouly cut in small cubes days ahead and stuck in the refrigerator thus, It had no flavor And the avocado was just too green to be flavorful. Who cares about the sauce! The crab soup was worst, cold crab meat was thrown in a milky tomato based soup. Campbell does a better job! The dinner claws were old!Special Features:
- Lunch here for restaurant weekOnesarVIPDined on 8/1/2014Read about this place on trip advisor. We were lucky to sit out front ( instead of on the side). It's restaurant week so for $3 more than a regular lunch item, you can have 2!! The mussels were in a delicious sauce. Fish tacos fresh and very good. My biggest complaint was there wasn't even a slice of bread to accompany the mussels - we had had to pay extra for a few slices ( which were either stale or crunchy)... But wanted desperately to sop up that yummy mussel sauce!?! The Cobb salad looked good - not enormous for the price, and fried fish tacos were reported to be tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchAryzonaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Took my daughter and her friend here for lunch and all I can say is their OYSTERS are amazing!! Overpriced from what I've had in the local area for the exact same price but AMAZING nonetheless. What's to die for is the Maker's Mark baby back ribs, they were falling off the bone from tenderness and that sauce is out of this world. I'll be visiting again!!! They could step up their game on different drink variety. I mean not all people drink rail liquor.Special Features:
- Favorite place in fellsNfreibDined on 8/1/2014This is my favorite place to eat in fells it's so good! I've loved everything I've eaten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good local feelingBulldogfanDined on 7/25/2014The food was what you expect from Baltimore. Fresh Maryland crab. We added the sea food chowder and it was good. Service was good. a small bar but very busy on a friday night.Special Features:
- I was feeling a little crabby.RDBeatsDined on 7/25/2014I was in Baltimore for a convention and we wanted to have blue crabs. After doing a little local research, we decided on Riptide by the Bay. That decision proved to be very good one. We had excellent appetizers, including Prince Edward Ihesland Mussels in Tarragon Cream Sauce & local fried oysters. For entrées we had the Maryland Blue Crabs, which were outstanding. We added an order of Crab Mac & Cheese and of Grilled Asparagus to share. The food was well prepared and met all of our expectations. The restaurant is very casual, and given the fact the you are eating crab, expect everything to be a little messy on the table. in other words this is not a fine dining establishment, it is rather a casual establishment with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for seafoodWineguyVIPDined on 7/19/2014multiple varieties of oysters as well as fresh crabs and tables overlooking the harbor at Fells Point. Great little place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!marlamDined on 7/14/2014We chose this restaurant based on our New Jersey friends visiting for a few days. They wanted true Baltimore Harbor food. What better way than a place in Fells Point! I found Riptide on Yelp and it was highly rated. We ordered everything from the crab bisque which was gluten-free (yeah!) to fish, seafood stew and even a burger. Drinks included cocktails, beer and wine. We fell in love. This is a true gem! We couldn't have been more pleased! Our waiter Chuck was just awesome, very attentive. The whole service staff was fabulous regardless of who you asked. Can you believe we were there on a monday night and the place was packed! Hats off to Riptide! We will be back!!!Special Features:
- Great Crabs!LuvNCrabsDined on 7/12/2014If you are looking for crabs, this place did not disappoint! Great ambience right in the hear of Fells Point.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ServiceWonderfulDined on 7/10/2014I love this place...the food good. Must try fish tacos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AwesomeNattyBDined on 7/2/2014Great dining service -food and service was top notch!Special Features:
- gerber865Dined on 6/30/2014I went for the steamed crabs and they were terrible. They tasted like leftovers reheated. My aunts food had to be remade because it came out wrong.
- Hostess provided poor service.PSUJEM00Dined on 6/28/2014We booked a reservation on open table for 9:30 & went early w/ hopes to get a table sooner. When we got there we were told nothing would be ready until 9:30. We were waiting outside and someone told is they just cancelled their 10 person reservation that was right then (table already set), so we went to see if we could be seated sooner. This was 8:20. We were told we had to wait until 9:30 b/c we had a reservation. I went online and scheduled a new reservation online for 8:45 for 5. The hostess tried to squeeze us into a 4 person booth. When I said something another hostess pointed out the other available table. After we sat, all was well. Food was good. A bit pricey for what you get IMO. Crablegs with no sides were $25. Restrm was messy.Special Features:
- Casual and deliciousbmorefoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014I was looking for a casual place to take some friends after an O's game and even tho some reviews werent stellar, the menu won me over. Our server was very friendly, attentive and prompt. We were seated in the alleyway which was quieter than the bar which we appreciated. We tried the crab dip (yummy), fried polenta (also yummy), crab mac and cheese (ridiculous) and the beer-battered mahi tacos (very good). We were all pleasantly surprised by the food, and there were plenty of other menu options we would have liked to try. Solid wine and cocktail list as well. Overall had a great night and will definitely come back!Special Features:
- RiptideDandSDined on 6/28/2014Food was great. Fun atmosphere. Only negative was oppressive noise level that made it difficult to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch/Lunch winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014Casual booth dining and excellent seafood. Order the crab dip!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Food was fine, but overpriced. Maybe the bar and outside seating area is better than a full meal inside. Service is slow though we arrived before the crowd. Service picked up when we were ready to pay.Special Features:
- Good time at RiptideKayLimeDined on 6/15/2014I took my father here for Father's Day. We initially wanted to sit outside, but the available table was in the middle of two occupied tables... if the tables were spread out more, it would have been enjoyable seating. We opted to sit in the bar area. The service was very prompt and very friendly. The crab mac & cheese was awesome. Their mimosa was ok, I wasn't too fond of the juice used, but the Bloody Mary was top notch (according to my father)!!! The seafood was fresh and delicious and the wait time was decent. Riptide comes highly recommended, I will definitely be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touristy but TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014Right on the Bay in Fell's Point, this is definitely a spot that tourists frequent. The decor was kitsch and everything about it screamed tourist. But that was no problem because the food was tasty and reasonably priced. Had a delicious margarita, on special for $5 on Mondays, and the crab cake sandwich was topped with bacon, quite tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best crab house ..laughablegoodcrabloverDined on 5/25/2014First my reservation ask for a deck seat or near a window. Instead we were seated in a dingy alley made into a seating area....it was near an outer window so we had a view of the inside. The waitress was nice however started with the spiel abotv it being the worst season for crab. Which only means the price on crabs are jacked. Then said the only thing they got for the day were small crabs but they were chesapeke nlue crabs, We were ready to leave and she said she thought they might have other crabs which were a tasteless muck of mediums. she just said they were mediums but were really small just to keep us there. Just horrible. I felt bad for the family near us who got their very first crabs...what a terrible representation of crabs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Friday dinnerdavidDined on 5/23/2014We brought my mother in law here who was visiting from Chicago. It's a great place to experience Baltimore's harbor and get some good seafood. She loved her crab cakes, and my wife really enjoyed the snow crab legs. The drinks were excellent, too. My only complaint was that the batter on my fish (I ordered fish and chips) was soggy and not crispy. Tasted like good quality fish, but crispy batter would've been more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereMicheleVIPDined on 5/22/2014We enjoyed the great food and ambiance. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/15/2014Arrived at the restaurant and ordered. Food fair- needed tobasco sauce to provide flavor
- Enjoyed the appetizers, not entreescbfly85Dined on 5/3/2014We had 7:00 reservations, on a Saturday night, we were seated immediately, by the bathroom. Which didn't bother us unless a line formed. We ordered the tuna tartare, half dozen oysters and the steamed clams. All were fantastic. We ordered the scallops with risotto and lobster ravioli, both not worth the price, lacking flavor, the scallops were way over cooked. And the risotto was mushy. We had 5 plates between the two of us and paid by 7:40. We didn't feel rushed but definitely a quick date night, we went down the street for dessert, their dessert selection was lacking. I would not come back. I think it's good for apps and drinks.Special Features:
- Wear earplugslesnomadesVIPDined on 4/26/2014We dined here early on a Saturday night, and Fells point and the restaurant were both very crowded. The music is WAAY too loud here, even in the covered patio. You can barely hear yourself talk, yet alone your table mates. The food is good, the service fine, but the ambiance leaves much to be desired.Special Features: