Rips on the Lake
1917 Lake Shore Drive
Mandeville, LA 70448Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Rips on the Lake
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (985) 727-2829
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Roslyn Prieto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room on third floor 40 max 1st floor under building 150
- Private Party Contact: Roslyn Prieto 9857272829
A word from Rips on the Lake
South Louisiana Seafood cuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rips on the Lake reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (7)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointedAnglerDined on 10/24/2014Took friends from out of town and the 'fresh drum' tasted like frozen drum. Not just my dish but my friends dish also. Oh well, stick to the friend food as they do a good job. The raw oysters were very good and drinks were good also.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesAvoyellesTransplantsDined on 10/12/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in the Madison-Mandevile-Covington triangle. The view is unbeatable from the large porch overlong the Ponchartrain. The food has always been good, seasoned perfectly. Seafood or steaks, you can't go wrong. The staff has always been great and attentive. On this trip we had sautéed Crab claws and royal red shrimp (Excellent) Ribeye and shrimp, and key lime pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunfoodDined on 10/11/2014Very good. Was quite crowded because of homecoming, but was handled well. We had excellent service from our waiter. He was great!Special Features:
- Excellent Food/ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The server was great. We sat outdoors and it was beautiful. Food all three meals we ordered and appetizers were excellent. The only downside was the hostess was a bit unfriendly. Everyone else was very nice and welcoming.Special Features:
- Lovely Sunday BrunchfoodloversDined on 8/31/2014Really enjoyed all of the food and the ambiance. The buster crab appetizer with crab meat is just outstanding. The crabs with poached eggs and hollandaise were excellent as were the shrimp and grits. Excellent bloody mary. Will definately go back. Sat on the deck and it was just lovely. Our server was very nice and accomodating.Special Features:
- NiceMissouriansDined on 8/29/2014We were afraid to dine there after reading the negative reviews but our motel desk clerk recommended it and we were glad we tried it.Special Features:
- smashing good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Such great food...The wine list needs a little help..but the food and atmosphere were amazing..we will go back soon...Our server was attentive but not irritating everything was done correctly my date was impressed as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly seated!Happydinerx2Dined on 8/22/2014Made a reservation for 8. They placed 2 tables together (one square, one round) in the bar area. Very little room between bar and table for people to squeeze by. Had to keep getting up. Asked to be seated in main dining area before ordering meals, waited an hour and half. By the time we were served it was almost closing time, 10pm. Management seemed oblivious or didn't care. First visit & last visit!
- Great foodFoodyDined on 8/2/2014The food was amazing!!! The service was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 91 reviews are from the Rips on the Lake reviews archive.
- NorthshoreTrevorDined on 6/29/2014I wasn't convinced I would like this place due to the reviews, but it was great. Service was great, our waiter really helped us out and was on top of everything. Food was great! Fresh seafood with local veggies. Enough can't be said about the view...Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationLousyWaitressDined on 5/17/2014Nice place to visit on special occasions. Nice view of Lake Pontchartrain from the North Shore. Lousy attitude from our waitress. It will be along time before we visit again.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Food and service was great. Some of the items were a bit pricey, such as $40 for 8 oz file. Drinks are priced very reasonably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jrjrVIPDined on 5/7/20141st time there - went for lunch. All was awesome except service was way too slow for the lucnh hour - it was a two hour experioence. am anxious, however, to try for dinner when time is much less of a fator.Special Features:
- I've eaten here several timeRoxsanDined on 4/10/2014I've eaten here several time and up until this past evening have really loved it. This past experience was very difficult because our waiter kept disappearing and it took over 90 minutes for us to receive our main course, while other tables around us came and went with other servers. So, I am not sure what the real reason was, but it caused me stress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, okay service and foodJD504Dined on 3/19/2014The Fried Green Tomato appetizer was very good. I was really wanting a seafood pasta, I had tried there in the past, but was not on the menu, the only seafood pasta was a Crawfish Monica with fried eggplant, sounded delish, but was told after I finally decided to order it, that I could not because they WERE taking it off the menu. The seafood platter was small and seafood was not crispy and just ok in my opinion. Our server was not very accommodating. She never refilled our drinks and was found feeding the birds by the lake at one point. We were never offered an additional refill on our alcohol beverages either. We will be back for the atmosphere, not so much the food or service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and plentiful.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2014Food was good and plentiful. Service was the best we've ever had in South Louisiana!Special Features:
- Valentine lunchValentinelunchDined on 2/14/2014As always, the food was great. Service was very slow but we weren't in a real hurry. Bread offered because service was slow which would be offered for all new tables, then the bread wasn't even warm. Can't beat the views though and food is outstanding with a great, affordable lunch menu!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little squeezed.WegmansDined on 2/8/2014Seated at a round table in the corner, a feeling of being squeezed in when people were waiting at the bar. Their backside was much to close to us while they were standing at the bar. Noise level is Bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!dp2014Dined on 2/1/2014Excellent appetizers and entres. Wait staff very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Todd's B-day 2014StephDined on 1/18/2014I had to call and change my reservations twice and the hostess was sooo accommodating. We had a great dinner and the food, staff and location was perfect for the group. I will definitely consider going back to Rips on the Lake for a regular dinner night out and special occasions.Special Features:
- Disappointingmgp1981VIPDined on 1/3/2014I entered the restaurant with a beautiful view of the lake and a pleasant hostess. That is where the good experience entered. Our waitress would ask if we needed anything and I said yes she would say ok and roll her eyes. It was like she hated helping people and was just going through the motions. "Glad to help" or "Surely" would have been kinder responses. She was mad I believe because we shared a meal. I wasn't that hungry so it was the best. My mom ordered oysters and said they were great. Our salad came and it was fresh and the dressing was good. Then, the food arrived. The spinach lacked seasoning, the fish (Mahi Mahi) tasted extremely fishy. The shrimp and sauce added no flavor. As a whole was extremely disappointing.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceLucygDined on 12/11/2013We loved our food, the atmosphere, and our server. She was a lovely lady from Ireland named Elizabeth and she completely made the experience extra special. It was my 50th bday dinner and they placed us in a wonderul area, with view of lake, in room with gorgeous fireplace and made my might amazing. In the end - the food was what was the best! The food was far better than hoped, priced extemely well and overall **** experience by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIPPING AT RIPSLIVE2EATDined on 10/20/2013Can't beat the location and most entrees are very good. Don't go for the sweet potatoe fries--not the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Computer system downDavidDined on 10/4/2013I miss sure this affected things. But still unimpressive.
- Great view of the lakeCBTinNOLADined on 8/30/2013The porch has a fabulous view of Lake Pontchartrain and the best view ever of the Causeway (much prettier from a mile away than when you're on it). Crab claw appetizer - nicely prepared and spicy. Entrees: fresh Drum, and Oysters Bayou Teche. The drum was nicely cooked but was covered with a light sauce containing crawfish tails and artichoke hearts - the sauce itself was good but there was something slightly off in either the crawfish tails or artichoke hearts - perhaps tinged with freezer burn. The oyster component of the other dish was very tasty, accompanying vegetables were crisp and lively - a baked potato centerpiece was loaded to excess with cheese and shrimp - a calorie bomb and maybe overall giving the plate too much weight.Special Features:
- GOOD FOOD, GREAT VIEW,LIVE2EATDined on 8/23/2013A bit noisy on the deck last night but a great time and good food. The view makes up for anything that is missing! You'll have a good time on that great porch/deck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no respect of Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2013Used Open Table on my cell like you are supposed to. When we arrived, we were stuck with the table by the door and check in stand despite several other tables being available. We were told those tables were being held for those that made phone reservations, and that phone reservations trump Open Table reservations. Have not had that response before at a restaurant. Previously this was one of our 'go-to' local restaurants, but no more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD FOOD - SERVICE - BAD MAPOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2013Good food and service - Address listing for Map feature is incorrect street name. Should read Northshore Drive not North Shore - sent me to residential area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomecajunDined on 7/6/2013Great food, great wine list, and great service. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningReady2EatDined on 6/23/2013The restaurant is comfortable, the service was very good. The entire staff was very friendly. The food was good - we all had some type of seafood. The porch provided a lovely view of Lake Pontchartrain.Special Features:
- overall experienceanniversaryDined on 5/31/2013My wife and I enjoyed the total dining experience. Was not our first time there, and definitely will not be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!BeenaroundfoodDined on 5/24/2013Having moved to the Northshore a couple years ago, this was one of the last restaurants on our list to try. I wish we didn't wait so long to try it. If you can get a patio seat, I suggest that. Even in late May, the breeze off the lake at 7 PM kept us comfortable. The menu was big, not not too big where as you wonder how they can prepare that many quality dishes. The service was attentive and we were seated right away (had reservations). My only reason for not giving it a total 5 stars was the service was a BIT slow, but it was a Friday night, before a long holiday weekend and we were in prime time. All in all, fantastic experience and will ABSOLUTELY return. Great Northshore gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to rips for an anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Went to rips for an anniversary celebration. The food was pricey but good and good portion sizes. Few negatives: Not a personal restaurant, the tables are crowded together and you can hear everyone else’s conversation. Second on any given day there are two menus to order from which makes talking to the server a bit confusing. Lastly I was disappointed that for the location and the price of the food that when I asked our server for a drink menu I was told they did not have one, and our server could not list the wines or domestic beers off hand.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013We made reservations for Sunday lunch through Open Table, however, they do not take reservations for patio seating. The inside dining room was great, the table for two was a good size (unlike some that are too small for the salt & pepper and your plate) and comfortable. Our waitress was attentive but not annoying. The salad was disappointing, baby lettuce with 1 tomato, good dressing though. We were finished our salad when then entree came out. The food was very good, hot, and well seasoned and presented. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and would readily return. The menu was varied with a nice selection from which to chose.Special Features:
- Unusual. Not up to usual standards.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2013We have dined at Rips many times. This one was out of character. The waiter was ambivalent, and the grouper was mushy -- probably frozen for a while. Unusual for Rips. We'll return, but I'll be watching to see if this is part of a trend. I sure hope not. The other two diners in our party were happy with their meals.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our lunch at theErnieBarryDined on 3/8/2013We enjoyed our lunch at the Rips on the Lake... We were able to sit on the porch and enjoy the view of Lake Pontchartrain.Special Features:
- Everything was great as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2013Everything was great as usual. a little bit loud due to table next
- Attentive courteous servicesundoggDined on 2/14/2013Attentive courteous service and very good food. A little cramped because it's a fairly small dining area inside but the view is nice and the noise level is surprisingly low. Salads were fresh and crisp and the dinner was served very hot and flavorful.Special Features:
- Rip's on the Lake is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Rip's on the Lake is always a great place to visit. We love the food and drinks. The view is breathtaking, especially if you go and watch the sunset on the lake. When we go on the weekends, we ask for Adrian to be our server. He is very friendly and can always put a smile on your face.Special Features:
- Great casual anytime restaurant.NOLAgirl1Dined on 1/12/2013Great casual anytime restaurant. We sat on the balcony and had a great view of the lake. Three of us had the lump carb cakes and they were excellent. I'm not sure what the house Pinot Grigio was but it was light and crisp and also excellent.Special Features: