401 15th Ave E.
Seattle, WA 98112Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ethanstowellrestaurants.com/rionexiii/
- Phone: 2068382878x
- Hours of Operation:
5 PM - 11 PM Sunday - Saturday
5 PM - Close Sunday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Savuthy Dy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rione XIII
Inspired by Trastevere, the bustling 13th district of Rome, Rione XIII explores simple Roman cooking on Seattle's Capitol Hill. Menu favorites include fried artichokes, housemade mozzarella, cacio e pepe, and wood-fired Roman street pizza. A full bar is available as well as a thoughtful selection of Italian & Northwest wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Rione XIII - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Rione XIII reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (77)romantic (34)special occasion (33)notable wine list (29)hot spot (27)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food and ServicePS24VIPDined on 10/3/2014We enjoyed our first meal at Rhione VIII. The food was spectacular and the service knowledgeable, warm and friendly We will definitely be back. The only drawback was that we were seated between the bar and a party of 10 on the far wall and as a 2 top felt a bit overwhelmed by the people standing in the bar area and the overall noise level.Special Features:
- BirthdayEsteDined on 9/28/2014This is only the second time we have been to Rione XIII. No disappointments. Makes you feel like you are in Italy. Excellent food with lots of options, and great service. We need to go back more often!Special Features:
- Cheese and pasta!HeatherVIPDined on 9/27/2014Get the burrata or at least one of the fresh mozzarellas! There were lots of good appetizers to choose from, we went with the bruschetta, and the pasta special was excellent. I would skip the pizza, it wasn't anything special. We want to go back to gnocchi night on Monday!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014The food is amazing, just like Rome. Great wine selection and the service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rome is as close as Capitol HillDuKaiserDined on 9/24/2014One of the true delights of Italian cuisine is Roman cooking. It's old, comfy and a rarity. A few nights ago I went looking for something a little different for dinner near my daughter's apartment, thanks to a ton of great reviews I discovered Rione XIII. What caught my attention was that the food was Roman (not billed as Italian) and upon a closer look at the menu found that it was most certainly Roman. My first step into the restaurant was like being a kid in a candy store, it's beautiful, intelligently arranged and well crewed. I was immediately attracted to the Trippa a la Romana, which I ordered and found superb, their handmade fried gnocchi is totally addictive. Their deft preparation of their sauces reminded me so much of Rome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so yummy!SwheatonDined on 9/15/2014So happy I found this place! Burrata and heirloom tomato salad both to die for and complimented one another perfectly. The cobanara was delicious as well, noodles could have been cooked slightly longer but it was awesome! Service and drinks were perfect as well. I have no complaints!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I always love this place. My friends had not been there and loved it. What's not to love. Veal chop was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!bzuberDined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed a very relaxed shared meal with a party of 4. The server made great wine selections and paced the meal perfectly. Really enjoyed the space and the food.Special Features:
- ThannaDined on 9/8/2014Excellent food. 5 different entrees. 3 different appetizers. All shared and enjoyed. Good wine. Good service. Very reasonable prices. Two previous chefs and restaurants owners in group. All loved it.Special Features:
- A fantastic findJayIVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had a fantastic experience at Rione XIII. Our food was very fresh, very tasty and excellent. The service was very professional and friendly at the same time. The recommended wine was absolutely amazing. Will definitely be back there again, and with more friends. Thank you RIone XIII for the excellent, food, wine and service. JaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FogRiderDined on 8/30/2014We are a group of six that meet in Seattle often for dinner and agreed that Rione III was one of our favorites. The emerging small and focused restaurant menus often leave out choices for one or more of our party. However, Rione provided a variety of choices within a limited menu that satisfied the vegans and carnivores in our group. And, everything was well prepared, tasted great, and served with a smile. We shall return with another magnum of aged Bordeaux.Special Features:
- I expected a little moreNectarousDined on 8/25/2014My first time to Rione XIII and do really enjoy Ethan's other restaurants, especially Staple. The service was very slow on this past Monday and we got our cocktails after our appetizers. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly, I think he was just working too many tables. The house made mozz was nice, as were the cold-smoked mussels (an amazing dish that we all enjoyed very much). The guanciale carbonara was lacking flavor. Perhaps a lighter pasta and more guanciale. The rabbit pasta was delicious, as was the gnocchi. The pizza was dry and a little tough. That's why food is a 3. It just needs a little love. What I wasn't expecting that was a nice surprise was the portion size. Larger than most places. Oh and the drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveninghungryiDined on 8/24/2014We were delighted to be there there for their 2nd anniversary truffle menu. The truffle risotto and chicken were excellent. We did not think the truffle pizza was as good, not much truffle taste. Enjoyed the wine paring and our cocktails. The fried artichokes and polenta were delicious, as was the olive oil chocolate cake. Pleasant service. Not noisy and comfortable cushioned seating. Our first visit, we will be back.Special Features:
- My go to...!gocougsDined on 8/14/2014Always have a great time and meal here. Another Stowell gemSpecial Features:
- Great atmospherePuli1974Dined on 8/12/2014Great atmosphere, service was a little slow. The gnocchi was too doughy. Good wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningOperaFanaticVIPDined on 8/8/2014We have been here before and loved it, but our visit on 8/8 was spectacular. The food was wonderful, but we expected that. We were able to snag an outside table, which was a bonus. But the service (always good) made the evening. The host and our waiter both contributed to a great night. We were in a playful mood, and they were willing to joke around when we wanted. But they both had an unerring sense of when to leave us alone so we could enjoy our dinner and time together. We live out of town, but are in Seattle often. We will be back soon and often!Special Features:
- consistently excellentjsroDined on 8/7/2014We've been to Rione three times now and every time has been a hit. Servers are friendly and lighting is very nice. It can get a bit noisy if a lot of people are there; we've always gone in the evening, and it's always been busy then. It's a small popular place so reservations are typically needed. All that is fine. What sets Rione apart is the food. It is not just good, it is spectacular--reliably delicious. This is the perfect place to plan a special occasion or suggest to out-of-town-ers, and know everyone will be happy. The flavors are unique, so they're not just doing a great version of something you can get everywhere; yet the food is also familiar, so it's not one of those places where you need a special palate to enjoy. Check it out!Special Features:
- yummymsm777Dined on 8/6/2014always enjoy my meals here- great for casual or special occasions.Special Features:
- Delicious!Food4lifeDined on 8/4/2014We had a fantastic experience. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent all the way aroundaridogDined on 8/2/2014Tremendous Ethan Stowell experience as usual. Each course was perfection. Service was great! And Brendan gave us packages of free pasta to take with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianProffoodieDined on 7/27/2014This place reminds me of the better restaurants in Rome or Venice. Risotto balls (appetizer) were outstanding--light crunchy exterior, piping hot rice interior with gooey melted cheese, sitting atop a perfectly simple marinara. Heirloom tomato salad with whipped ricotta, arugula pesto was superb. A fettuccini with Parmesan, escarole, and fava beans was excellent and hearty. Gnocchi was tasty but unexpectedly spicy (my teen wasn't able to finish it due to the heat), and more like a polenta dish than gnocchi. Despite this minor flaw, this restaurant would be worth returning to, every time we are in Seattle! Next time we'll try the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional neighborhood eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014The food was outstanding, and clearly represented examples of seasonal food one finds in Rome. Service was good, non-intrusive but prompt. We were not able to sit at one of the patio tables, but on a warm evening they would be lovely. Only downside is that it is a neighborhood restaurant, so when we were there a family had brought a little toddler who shrieked and howled through an hour and a half of his parents and nanny doing nothing to entertain him. So, not the place for a romantic dinner, just great food. Drink menu looked ok, we stuck with a bottle of prosecco from the small, but balanced wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LaBelleVIPDined on 7/26/2014The menu is diverse and wine list has options for all budgets. The food was delicious. I highly recommend the artichokes, tomato salad and homemade mozzarella. Wonderful classic carbonara and a cool take on gnocchi. The salmon was one of the best I've tasted in the city. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic: friendly, patient, funny...I'm kicking myself that I can't remember his name!Special Features:
- BreezyfansDined on 7/23/2014Only complaint was the excessive ventilation. We were seated at table 6 and had to be moved. At least one nearby table agreed with us that is was too breezy and cold in that location. One of us was wearing a coat and I a sweater. The staff were very accommodating and moved us asap, but apparently this is a recurrent problem in that area of the restaurant. I wondered if it was due to their keeping the entrance door open to facilitate serving outdoor tables, as I believe that could throw off a HVAC system. We like the artichoke app, but when we've had that in Rome, it has always been the whole heart flattened, rather than quartered. Taste is probably unaffected by that presentation, however. Oxtails, pizza and wine glass pours were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in RomeLov2eatDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed the small plates- fried artichokes, smoked trout delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and trendy interiorImogenDined on 7/21/2014Ethan Stowell's restaurants are absolutely delicious every time. Even the simplest pasta dish is irresistible. The interior is cool, well thought out, and fun. Staff on their game and a lovely ambiance! Have already gone back for seconds! (Also, great options for a vegetarian!)Special Features:
- Tip from a local pays dividendsNathanDined on 7/20/2014My girlfriend and I were visiting from Portland and Rione XIII was suggested along with two other places by a local friend. We are both very pleased with our choice. The staff were relaxed, friendly and attentive. The servers knew when to keep us occupied and when to let us be. The dining area is small but comfortable. I would make reservation on a weekend night. The food is fantastic. The buffalo mozzarella is delicious. It has a much different flavor than cow's milk varieties, definitely worth a taste. We also had grilled salmon with a chanterelle mushroom sauce, and a pasta with fava beans and greens. Both dishes were top notch. Great use of seasonal and Northwest ingredients. We will return to Seattle soon and Rione XIII is on our list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They gave my table away....SeattleKateDined on 7/19/2014I showed up for my 9:30 reservation at 9:15. The hostess told us we would have to wait until 9:30 for a table to open. Around 9:25 a party of 6 left and I assumed the table would be set and we would be sat momentarily. Instead of seating my group which was 15 minutes early for our reservations she sat a group that was 45 minutes late for their reservation. The hostess did not offer drinks or a solution. We left before we ate. I am incredibly disappointed in the service at Rione XIII.
- Would definitely go again...ILoveFoodDined on 7/18/2014Met a girlfriend there for a lady date and split a couple of entrees -- Bucatinia Amatriciana and the Pan Seared Sockeye Salmon. Very simple, but flavorful dishes, and we were both full. Great ambience, can be very loud, but we enjoy that type of scene. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014Outstanding food and great atmosphere. The service was extremely slow and since it was a work night we had to forgo dessert since it was so late. We were disappointed that we couldn't try the pistachio cannelloni.Special Features:
- Amazing foodNorsemanDined on 7/17/2014The fried artichoke hearts were delightful, and the home made cookies at the end had a very unique flavor. For dinner, the pasta was excellent - not much salt (which I appreciated) and which let the great mix of vegetable and meat flavors come through. The olives and bread were marvelous too. And the staff was top-notch. Couldn't have been more pleased with the evening and the varied tastes.Special Features:
- easy food at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2014Great easy food. It looks like an authentic Italian trattoria but more elegant and energetic. The food was fantastic except for the Tiramisu'. It was good but not great.Special Features:
- consistently greatbetterthangoodDined on 7/12/2014This was our third or fourth time at Rione, and each visit has been totally satisfying. After a warm and friendly greeting from the hostess, the helpful and engaging wait staff made us feel right at home. We love the food! The heirloom tomato salad was amazingly fresh w/ a delicious pesto dressing, the perfect summer salad. Tonarelli and bucatini were top-notch as always. It's just a great place to eat.Special Features:
- RedemptionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/8/2014After several visit's we had given up, and decided to give it one last try. What is usually an extended wait for a waiter to come to the table, exhausting ticket times & slow bar service was ll erased! The bartender was friendly & knowledgable, waiter was AWESOME & food cam out fast & delicious! We'll go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningTucker2VIPDined on 7/5/2014Overall the food is good but not great. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here but if I was in the area I'd definitely visit again. We had the antipasti platter which is good. We had two pastas (carbonara and one with a red sauce, but I forget the name). The carbonara had a floury or slightly gluey flavor. I would not order the carbonara again. The pasta with the red sauce was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!rachelnDined on 6/28/2014For starters, my cocktail was tasty and the fried artichokes with aioli and smoked mozzarella were fantastic. This is only the second restaurant in Seattle where I have found pasta with Amatriciana sauce (my fav) and it was everything I hoped it would be. So, SO happy!! Everyone at my table loved their entrees (oxtail, mussels, risotto special) and the only complaint was that the serving size of the risotto was maybe 1/2 cup, which was 3 bites less than my friend would have liked. Our server recommended a nice wine and wasn't bothered that we took our time eating and drinking. I'm looking forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- felixVIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was good not great. Bit I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 303 reviews are from the Rione XIII reviews archive.
- A perfect eveningsmaragdVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is our new favorite restaurant in Seattle. Ethan Stowell has done it again with Rione XIII. A lovely menu and wine list that fits perfectly together.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food / Weak HospitalityBacchanalBobDined on 6/15/2014The food was stellar. All plates were exquisitely prepared with great attention to detail. The oxtail dish was SUBLIME and well worth the trip. Service was sketchy though. Hostess seemed insecure and inexperienced. Waitress still learning how to make patrons comfortable. Not well versed in wine pairings. Fortunately the "deer in the headlights" service was not evident in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great spot for Italian foodPiYiDined on 6/11/2014Excellent food at reasonable prices - the pizza is quite good and shaped like the rectangular ones in Rome. Save room for the gelato which is three solid scoops for $6, just the right size to eat all yourself or share with a friend. My brother had the affagato which he was over the moon about - it is not the traditional, rather a biscotti with two scoops of gelato on top, some orange marshmallows with espresso ceremoniously drizzled over it all when it is served. Drinks were good according to those who had them. Also we went there with a large group and they handled it all with ease and grace, very impressive. Good atmosphere, but they need some tapestries on the walls to cut the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.