401 15th Ave E.
Seattle, WA 98112Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ethanstowellrestaurants.com/rionexiii/
- Phone: (206) 838-2878
- Hours of Operation:
5 PM - 11 PM Sunday - Saturday
5 PM - Close Sunday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Savuthy Dy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rione XIII
Inspired by Trastevere, the bustling 13th district of Rome, Rione XIII explores simple Roman cooking on Seattle's Capitol Hill. Menu favorites include fried artichokes, housemade mozzarella, cacio e pepe, and wood-fired Roman street pizza. A full bar is available as well as a thoughtful selection of Italian & Northwest wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rione XIII reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (33)special occasion (33)notable wine list (32)hot spot (28)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- ExeptionalNataDined on 11/21/2014We went for dinner for the first time. Reservation was at 8:15. We arrived a little bit earlier, since parking finding was easier then what we expected in area. Front stuff accommodated us with the table right away. Very friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We ordered a bottle of very nice red by recommendation of servant guy- and it turn Very nice!! I spend some time looking at review and new about the menu.. so, we ordered fried artichoke. pasta with lamb in spicy souse, oxtail dish and whole grilled fish! All dishes followed one another after completion, in good temperature and nicely seasoned.. Even though it seems like a lot of food for two, but we didn't feel "stuffed". Just perfect! Highly Recommend!!!! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why all the dairy?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014The menu is pretty great but it quickly became limited, once anything containing or cooked in dairy was deleted. I vote for more non-dairy options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful find.BecfanDined on 11/15/2014We met up with friends who had been to the restaurant before. This is a cozy neighborhood place that gives off a bit of a funky vibe which we love. Our server was terrific and guided us to both cocktail and dinner selections. We brought our own wine and corkage for the two bottles was $25 which was very reasonable. Our food was delicious. We also left with a little bag of homemade pasta for each of us. A gift for dining with them. Great evening, great food. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian food on Capital HillBirdladyDined on 11/12/2014Good food. Reasonable pricing. Not too precious. Excellent service. Good wine recommendations from our server. The bench seating could have been a bit more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Roman-esque spotalfyVIPDined on 11/12/2014Great menu full of dishes you'd miss from your trip to Rome. The food was a bit too salty overall but I'd still go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedlchampDined on 11/8/2014The ambience and service were great, but I expected more of the food at an Ethan Stowell restaurant. I did not like my entree at all. It tasted nothing like the menu described. It was very spicy but was not listed as such on the menu, so I couldn't eat more than a couple bites. However, the mozzarella platter was fantastic! I would go again just for that.Special Features:
- YUMGTgalDined on 11/1/2014Terrific neighborhood gem--enjoy coming over from the east side to enjoy the great service and wonderful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!lovetodineVIPDined on 10/29/2014The service and the food was excellent. Love the décor and their servers are very friendly and attentive. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good.suziDined on 10/28/2014If you're known for your house-made mozzarella, why wouldn't it be included in the Restaurant Week menu, evena little bit? Food was pretty good. And we figured out that if all the courses in the featured menu were purchased separately, it would be a dollar LESS than the $30 menu. Hmm.Special Features:
- good foodhappyDined on 10/28/2014Good food but the tables are a little to close to each other.Special Features:
- ElleDined on 10/26/2014I walk past this area a fair amount, but this place seems to just blend in so well you would never know the hidden gem that lay inside. The food was outstanding taste wise and fairly generous portions. Vegetable soup to start was hearty and flavorful. The chicken was perfectly tender and cooked with potatoes. The tiramisu was a delightful end to the meal. Wonderful find for restaurant week! Now excuse me while I savor my leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best trippa!JackDined on 10/24/2014Love the small plate portion size and quality! Everything we tried was top drawer and our service was impeccable. We are already looking for an opportunity to come back.Special Features:
- Great as alwaystokyoslimVIPDined on 10/23/2014Excellent service, good food. There's a reason I keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014Food was very good. Restaurant was very cold. We would go back but set a later reservation and sit away from the windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Perfect menu for dinner. The baked gnocchi is amazing. During the summer they open up the windows, which is pretty cool.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServicePS24VIPDined on 10/3/2014We enjoyed our first meal at Rhione VIII. The food was spectacular and the service knowledgeable, warm and friendly We will definitely be back. The only drawback was that we were seated between the bar and a party of 10 on the far wall and as a 2 top felt a bit overwhelmed by the people standing in the bar area and the overall noise level.Special Features:
- BirthdayEsteDined on 9/28/2014This is only the second time we have been to Rione XIII. No disappointments. Makes you feel like you are in Italy. Excellent food with lots of options, and great service. We need to go back more often!Special Features:
- Cheese and pasta!HeatherVIPDined on 9/27/2014Get the burrata or at least one of the fresh mozzarellas! There were lots of good appetizers to choose from, we went with the bruschetta, and the pasta special was excellent. I would skip the pizza, it wasn't anything special. We want to go back to gnocchi night on Monday!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014The food is amazing, just like Rome. Great wine selection and the service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rome is as close as Capitol HillDuKaiserDined on 9/24/2014One of the true delights of Italian cuisine is Roman cooking. It's old, comfy and a rarity. A few nights ago I went looking for something a little different for dinner near my daughter's apartment, thanks to a ton of great reviews I discovered Rione XIII. What caught my attention was that the food was Roman (not billed as Italian) and upon a closer look at the menu found that it was most certainly Roman. My first step into the restaurant was like being a kid in a candy store, it's beautiful, intelligently arranged and well crewed. I was immediately attracted to the Trippa a la Romana, which I ordered and found superb, their handmade fried gnocchi is totally addictive. Their deft preparation of their sauces reminded me so much of Rome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so yummy!SwheatonDined on 9/15/2014So happy I found this place! Burrata and heirloom tomato salad both to die for and complimented one another perfectly. The cobanara was delicious as well, noodles could have been cooked slightly longer but it was awesome! Service and drinks were perfect as well. I have no complaints!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I always love this place. My friends had not been there and loved it. What's not to love. Veal chop was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!bzuberDined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed a very relaxed shared meal with a party of 4. The server made great wine selections and paced the meal perfectly. Really enjoyed the space and the food.Special Features:
- ThannaDined on 9/8/2014Excellent food. 5 different entrees. 3 different appetizers. All shared and enjoyed. Good wine. Good service. Very reasonable prices. Two previous chefs and restaurants owners in group. All loved it.Special Features:
- A fantastic findJayIVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had a fantastic experience at Rione XIII. Our food was very fresh, very tasty and excellent. The service was very professional and friendly at the same time. The recommended wine was absolutely amazing. Will definitely be back there again, and with more friends. Thank you RIone XIII for the excellent, food, wine and service. JaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FogRiderDined on 8/30/2014We are a group of six that meet in Seattle often for dinner and agreed that Rione III was one of our favorites. The emerging small and focused restaurant menus often leave out choices for one or more of our party. However, Rione provided a variety of choices within a limited menu that satisfied the vegans and carnivores in our group. And, everything was well prepared, tasted great, and served with a smile. We shall return with another magnum of aged Bordeaux.Special Features:
- I expected a little moreNectarousDined on 8/25/2014My first time to Rione XIII and do really enjoy Ethan's other restaurants, especially Staple. The service was very slow on this past Monday and we got our cocktails after our appetizers. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly, I think he was just working too many tables. The house made mozz was nice, as were the cold-smoked mussels (an amazing dish that we all enjoyed very much). The guanciale carbonara was lacking flavor. Perhaps a lighter pasta and more guanciale. The rabbit pasta was delicious, as was the gnocchi. The pizza was dry and a little tough. That's why food is a 3. It just needs a little love. What I wasn't expecting that was a nice surprise was the portion size. Larger than most places. Oh and the drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveninghungryiDined on 8/24/2014We were delighted to be there there for their 2nd anniversary truffle menu. The truffle risotto and chicken were excellent. We did not think the truffle pizza was as good, not much truffle taste. Enjoyed the wine paring and our cocktails. The fried artichokes and polenta were delicious, as was the olive oil chocolate cake. Pleasant service. Not noisy and comfortable cushioned seating. Our first visit, we will be back.Special Features:
- My go to...!gocougsDined on 8/14/2014Always have a great time and meal here. Another Stowell gemSpecial Features:
- Great atmospherePuli1974Dined on 8/12/2014Great atmosphere, service was a little slow. The gnocchi was too doughy. Good wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningOperaFanaticVIPDined on 8/8/2014We have been here before and loved it, but our visit on 8/8 was spectacular. The food was wonderful, but we expected that. We were able to snag an outside table, which was a bonus. But the service (always good) made the evening. The host and our waiter both contributed to a great night. We were in a playful mood, and they were willing to joke around when we wanted. But they both had an unerring sense of when to leave us alone so we could enjoy our dinner and time together. We live out of town, but are in Seattle often. We will be back soon and often!Special Features:
- consistently excellentjsroDined on 8/7/2014We've been to Rione three times now and every time has been a hit. Servers are friendly and lighting is very nice. It can get a bit noisy if a lot of people are there; we've always gone in the evening, and it's always been busy then. It's a small popular place so reservations are typically needed. All that is fine. What sets Rione apart is the food. It is not just good, it is spectacular--reliably delicious. This is the perfect place to plan a special occasion or suggest to out-of-town-ers, and know everyone will be happy. The flavors are unique, so they're not just doing a great version of something you can get everywhere; yet the food is also familiar, so it's not one of those places where you need a special palate to enjoy. Check it out!Special Features:
- yummymsm777Dined on 8/6/2014always enjoy my meals here- great for casual or special occasions.Special Features:
- Delicious!Food4lifeDined on 8/4/2014We had a fantastic experience. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent all the way aroundaridogDined on 8/2/2014Tremendous Ethan Stowell experience as usual. Each course was perfection. Service was great! And Brendan gave us packages of free pasta to take with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 320 reviews are from the Rione XIII reviews archive.
- Authentic ItalianProffoodieDined on 7/27/2014This place reminds me of the better restaurants in Rome or Venice. Risotto balls (appetizer) were outstanding--light crunchy exterior, piping hot rice interior with gooey melted cheese, sitting atop a perfectly simple marinara. Heirloom tomato salad with whipped ricotta, arugula pesto was superb. A fettuccini with Parmesan, escarole, and fava beans was excellent and hearty. Gnocchi was tasty but unexpectedly spicy (my teen wasn't able to finish it due to the heat), and more like a polenta dish than gnocchi. Despite this minor flaw, this restaurant would be worth returning to, every time we are in Seattle! Next time we'll try the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional neighborhood eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014The food was outstanding, and clearly represented examples of seasonal food one finds in Rome. Service was good, non-intrusive but prompt. We were not able to sit at one of the patio tables, but on a warm evening they would be lovely. Only downside is that it is a neighborhood restaurant, so when we were there a family had brought a little toddler who shrieked and howled through an hour and a half of his parents and nanny doing nothing to entertain him. So, not the place for a romantic dinner, just great food. Drink menu looked ok, we stuck with a bottle of prosecco from the small, but balanced wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LaBelleVIPDined on 7/26/2014The menu is diverse and wine list has options for all budgets. The food was delicious. I highly recommend the artichokes, tomato salad and homemade mozzarella. Wonderful classic carbonara and a cool take on gnocchi. The salmon was one of the best I've tasted in the city. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic: friendly, patient, funny...I'm kicking myself that I can't remember his name!Special Features:
- BreezyfansDined on 7/23/2014Only complaint was the excessive ventilation. We were seated at table 6 and had to be moved. At least one nearby table agreed with us that is was too breezy and cold in that location. One of us was wearing a coat and I a sweater. The staff were very accommodating and moved us asap, but apparently this is a recurrent problem in that area of the restaurant. I wondered if it was due to their keeping the entrance door open to facilitate serving outdoor tables, as I believe that could throw off a HVAC system. We like the artichoke app, but when we've had that in Rome, it has always been the whole heart flattened, rather than quartered. Taste is probably unaffected by that presentation, however. Oxtails, pizza and wine glass pours were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in RomeLov2eatDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed the small plates- fried artichokes, smoked trout delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.