401 15th Ave E.
Seattle, WA 98112Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ethanstowellrestaurants.com/rionexiii/
- Phone: 2068382878x
- Hours of Operation:
5 PM - 11 PM Sunday - Saturday
5 PM - Close Sunday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Savuthy Dy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rione XIII
Inspired by Trastevere, the bustling 13th district of Rome, Rione XIII explores simple Roman cooking on Seattle's Capitol Hill. Menu favorites include fried artichokes, housemade mozzarella, cacio e pepe, and wood-fired Roman street pizza. A full bar is available as well as a thoughtful selection of Italian & Northwest wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rione XIII reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (72)special occasion (34)romantic (31)notable wine list (27)hot spot (26)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (6)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- My go to...!gocougsDined on 8/14/2014Always have a great time and meal here. Another Stowell gemSpecial Features:
- Great atmospherePuli1974Dined on 8/12/2014Great atmosphere, service was a little slow. The gnocchi was too doughy. Good wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningOperaFanaticVIPDined on 8/8/2014We have been here before and loved it, but our visit on 8/8 was spectacular. The food was wonderful, but we expected that. We were able to snag an outside table, which was a bonus. But the service (always good) made the evening. The host and our waiter both contributed to a great night. We were in a playful mood, and they were willing to joke around when we wanted. But they both had an unerring sense of when to leave us alone so we could enjoy our dinner and time together. We live out of town, but are in Seattle often. We will be back soon and often!Special Features:
- consistently excellentjsroDined on 8/7/2014We've been to Rione three times now and every time has been a hit. Servers are friendly and lighting is very nice. It can get a bit noisy if a lot of people are there; we've always gone in the evening, and it's always been busy then. It's a small popular place so reservations are typically needed. All that is fine. What sets Rione apart is the food. It is not just good, it is spectacular--reliably delicious. This is the perfect place to plan a special occasion or suggest to out-of-town-ers, and know everyone will be happy. The flavors are unique, so they're not just doing a great version of something you can get everywhere; yet the food is also familiar, so it's not one of those places where you need a special palate to enjoy. Check it out!Special Features:
- yummymsm777Dined on 8/6/2014always enjoy my meals here- great for casual or special occasions.Special Features:
- Delicious!Food4lifeDined on 8/4/2014We had a fantastic experience. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent all the way aroundaridogDined on 8/2/2014Tremendous Ethan Stowell experience as usual. Each course was perfection. Service was great! And Brendan gave us packages of free pasta to take with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianProffoodieDined on 7/27/2014This place reminds me of the better restaurants in Rome or Venice. Risotto balls (appetizer) were outstanding--light crunchy exterior, piping hot rice interior with gooey melted cheese, sitting atop a perfectly simple marinara. Heirloom tomato salad with whipped ricotta, arugula pesto was superb. A fettuccini with Parmesan, escarole, and fava beans was excellent and hearty. Gnocchi was tasty but unexpectedly spicy (my teen wasn't able to finish it due to the heat), and more like a polenta dish than gnocchi. Despite this minor flaw, this restaurant would be worth returning to, every time we are in Seattle! Next time we'll try the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional neighborhood eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014The food was outstanding, and clearly represented examples of seasonal food one finds in Rome. Service was good, non-intrusive but prompt. We were not able to sit at one of the patio tables, but on a warm evening they would be lovely. Only downside is that it is a neighborhood restaurant, so when we were there a family had brought a little toddler who shrieked and howled through an hour and a half of his parents and nanny doing nothing to entertain him. So, not the place for a romantic dinner, just great food. Drink menu looked ok, we stuck with a bottle of prosecco from the small, but balanced wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LaBelleVIPDined on 7/26/2014The menu is diverse and wine list has options for all budgets. The food was delicious. I highly recommend the artichokes, tomato salad and homemade mozzarella. Wonderful classic carbonara and a cool take on gnocchi. The salmon was one of the best I've tasted in the city. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic: friendly, patient, funny...I'm kicking myself that I can't remember his name!Special Features:
- BreezyfansDined on 7/23/2014Only complaint was the excessive ventilation. We were seated at table 6 and had to be moved. At least one nearby table agreed with us that is was too breezy and cold in that location. One of us was wearing a coat and I a sweater. The staff were very accommodating and moved us asap, but apparently this is a recurrent problem in that area of the restaurant. I wondered if it was due to their keeping the entrance door open to facilitate serving outdoor tables, as I believe that could throw off a HVAC system. We like the artichoke app, but when we've had that in Rome, it has always been the whole heart flattened, rather than quartered. Taste is probably unaffected by that presentation, however. Oxtails, pizza and wine glass pours were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in RomeLov2eatDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed the small plates- fried artichokes, smoked trout delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and trendy interiorImogenDined on 7/21/2014Ethan Stowell's restaurants are absolutely delicious every time. Even the simplest pasta dish is irresistible. The interior is cool, well thought out, and fun. Staff on their game and a lovely ambiance! Have already gone back for seconds! (Also, great options for a vegetarian!)Special Features:
- Tip from a local pays dividendsNathanDined on 7/20/2014My girlfriend and I were visiting from Portland and Rione XIII was suggested along with two other places by a local friend. We are both very pleased with our choice. The staff were relaxed, friendly and attentive. The servers knew when to keep us occupied and when to let us be. The dining area is small but comfortable. I would make reservation on a weekend night. The food is fantastic. The buffalo mozzarella is delicious. It has a much different flavor than cow's milk varieties, definitely worth a taste. We also had grilled salmon with a chanterelle mushroom sauce, and a pasta with fava beans and greens. Both dishes were top notch. Great use of seasonal and Northwest ingredients. We will return to Seattle soon and Rione XIII is on our list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They gave my table away....SeattleKateDined on 7/19/2014I showed up for my 9:30 reservation at 9:15. The hostess told us we would have to wait until 9:30 for a table to open. Around 9:25 a party of 6 left and I assumed the table would be set and we would be sat momentarily. Instead of seating my group which was 15 minutes early for our reservations she sat a group that was 45 minutes late for their reservation. The hostess did not offer drinks or a solution. We left before we ate. I am incredibly disappointed in the service at Rione XIII.
- Would definitely go again...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Met a girlfriend there for a lady date and split a couple of entrees -- Bucatinia Amatriciana and the Pan Seared Sockeye Salmon. Very simple, but flavorful dishes, and we were both full. Great ambience, can be very loud, but we enjoy that type of scene. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014Outstanding food and great atmosphere. The service was extremely slow and since it was a work night we had to forgo dessert since it was so late. We were disappointed that we couldn't try the pistachio cannelloni.Special Features:
- Amazing foodNorsemanDined on 7/17/2014The fried artichoke hearts were delightful, and the home made cookies at the end had a very unique flavor. For dinner, the pasta was excellent - not much salt (which I appreciated) and which let the great mix of vegetable and meat flavors come through. The olives and bread were marvelous too. And the staff was top-notch. Couldn't have been more pleased with the evening and the varied tastes.Special Features:
- easy food at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2014Great easy food. It looks like an authentic Italian trattoria but more elegant and energetic. The food was fantastic except for the Tiramisu'. It was good but not great.Special Features:
- consistently greatbetterthangoodDined on 7/12/2014This was our third or fourth time at Rione, and each visit has been totally satisfying. After a warm and friendly greeting from the hostess, the helpful and engaging wait staff made us feel right at home. We love the food! The heirloom tomato salad was amazingly fresh w/ a delicious pesto dressing, the perfect summer salad. Tonarelli and bucatini were top-notch as always. It's just a great place to eat.Special Features:
- RedemptionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/8/2014After several visit's we had given up, and decided to give it one last try. What is usually an extended wait for a waiter to come to the table, exhausting ticket times & slow bar service was ll erased! The bartender was friendly & knowledgable, waiter was AWESOME & food cam out fast & delicious! We'll go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningTucker2VIPDined on 7/5/2014Overall the food is good but not great. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here but if I was in the area I'd definitely visit again. We had the antipasti platter which is good. We had two pastas (carbonara and one with a red sauce, but I forget the name). The carbonara had a floury or slightly gluey flavor. I would not order the carbonara again. The pasta with the red sauce was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!rachelnDined on 6/28/2014For starters, my cocktail was tasty and the fried artichokes with aioli and smoked mozzarella were fantastic. This is only the second restaurant in Seattle where I have found pasta with Amatriciana sauce (my fav) and it was everything I hoped it would be. So, SO happy!! Everyone at my table loved their entrees (oxtail, mussels, risotto special) and the only complaint was that the serving size of the risotto was maybe 1/2 cup, which was 3 bites less than my friend would have liked. Our server recommended a nice wine and wasn't bothered that we took our time eating and drinking. I'm looking forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- felixDined on 6/26/2014The food was good not great. Bit I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect eveningsmaragdVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is our new favorite restaurant in Seattle. Ethan Stowell has done it again with Rione XIII. A lovely menu and wine list that fits perfectly together.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food / Weak HospitalityBacchanalBobDined on 6/15/2014The food was stellar. All plates were exquisitely prepared with great attention to detail. The oxtail dish was SUBLIME and well worth the trip. Service was sketchy though. Hostess seemed insecure and inexperienced. Waitress still learning how to make patrons comfortable. Not well versed in wine pairings. Fortunately the "deer in the headlights" service was not evident in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great spot for Italian foodPiYiDined on 6/11/2014Excellent food at reasonable prices - the pizza is quite good and shaped like the rectangular ones in Rome. Save room for the gelato which is three solid scoops for $6, just the right size to eat all yourself or share with a friend. My brother had the affagato which he was over the moon about - it is not the traditional, rather a biscotti with two scoops of gelato on top, some orange marshmallows with espresso ceremoniously drizzled over it all when it is served. Drinks were good according to those who had them. Also we went there with a large group and they handled it all with ease and grace, very impressive. Good atmosphere, but they need some tapestries on the walls to cut the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeBeDined on 6/8/2014Grilled asparagus was so much more than we expected. Cocktail, wine, Salad, pizza, and tiramisu were all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time - But not the last!USCTrojanMBAVIPDined on 6/7/2014This is was the first time I had been here. We had a great great experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable and made great recommendations. Our food was fresh and delicious. I cannot say enough good things. Great neighborhood location, fun space, and excellent food n drink. Rione XIII is Ethan Stowell at it his best....and demonstrates why I consider him the top restaurateur in our Emerald City.Special Features:
- Terrible ServicejerzeyDined on 6/2/2014We come to Rione a few times per month as we love the atmosphere and usually love the food and service. This time, the pasta was overcooked and the server was awful: she was obviously in a bad mood and taking it out on us with lack of attentiveness, slowness and a completely nonchalant attitude. Happy hour pricing doesn't begin until 10pm-we asked at 9:58 to see the menu and were promptly informed that the pricing didn't begin until 10. Then she disappeared for about 15 minutes (the place wasn't very busy, 2 or 3 other tables). We only ordered 1 thing off the HH menu (and spent over $150 on dinner) and that wasn't even discounted on the final bill-which took 10 minutes to pay as she was sitting at the bar staring off into space.
- Simply Good!TopYogiDined on 5/31/2014This was our first time at Rione XIII and went there after great review on PBS 'Check Please'. It was also our anniversary and we normally go to another popular restaurant. The all men staff were very efficient, non intrusive. Food was simple without fanfare, yet excellent. Right portions. The fennel, sausage pizza was excellent. We also ordered Spaghetti Nero alla Vongole (spaghetti with Manial clams) and Tagliatelle al Ragu di Coniglio (Rabbit, arugla). Both excellent and spicy. Modern casual, exposed brick walls, tall ceiling. On Saturday evening, the crowd was mixed mostly over 30's. Not initimate but great for casual dining. Minor suggestions- add italian music, and add some personality to the bathrooms. Overall, will go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2014Rionne XIII is my go to place for special occasions! It is a great for a group because there is something for everyone. I haven't eaten something here that I didn't like. Ethan Stowell is my favorite chef in Seattle.Special Features:
- Worthy DestinationljhixDined on 5/15/2014It was worth the drive down from Bellingham. Memorable pasta. We will return !Special Features:
- Wonderful Family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014This was our first visit to Rione XIII and I am certain it will not be the last. We started with the deep fried artichokes with aoli, I could have eaten the whole plate myself. The were crisp and seasoned perfectly. The salmon bruschetta was tasty, though we would have liked more than the three small pieces served. We had the whole Branzino, which was a special that evening. It was fresh and presented well. We also had the veal chop which was delicious and quite large. Another of us had the flank steak which also was very good. The sides such as the roasted cauliflower was quite small. The wine list has a variety of wines and price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againeat4funDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I were celebrating an early mother’s day here on a Saturday evening. The food, service, and ambiance were all top notch. Ox tails and gnocchi made for the perfect shared meal. Tender meat on the ox tails with an incredible red sauce, sitting atop a pillow of polenta. The gnocchi was perfectly cooked and nicely crisped on the top with a soft layer of cheese. If you are trying to get in last minute on a weekend though, think again. We reserved a table over a week in advance and the 6:30-9pm time slots were all taken for a table of only 2. The food is worth planning ahead for though. Go here for a birthday, mother’s day, or any other special event and you’ll be happy you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentdougDined on 5/8/2014Overall experience excellent. One of best pizzas we've had in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rosarooDined on 5/6/2014Bucatini. It's amazing and really all you need to know about Rione, but if you must veer from that, ask a server for a wine recommendation and taste the buffalo mozzarella. Yum!Special Features:
- Imaginative cuisineCaroleDined on 4/29/2014This little neighborhood find has it all: interesting, tasty food, excellent service, nice ambience if you want to talk to your dinner companions. A whole grilled branzino served on a fava puree accompanied by split farro and crispy radishes - just right! The rest of the menu is equally imagintive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014Everything's good. The service has been amazing every time we've been there. It seems everyone really enjoys working there-- and the food is always really good to excellent to amazing. I had "roasted carrot" ravioli. Who knew? It was beautiful.Special Features:
- Another great Ethan Stowell mealpepperDined on 4/23/2014Brought friends in town from Guadalajara. Perfect food tonight, from the fried artichokes, the egg & truffle cheese pizza, pastas, oxtails. Good wine recommendations as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 286 reviews are from the Rione XIII reviews archive.