1431 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riojadenver.com/
- Phone: 3038202282
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jennifer Jasinski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Rioja
Chef Jennifer Jasinski's creatively inspired Mediterranean food is influenced by local seasonal products. Rioja is simple, pure food that emphasizes bright flavors & textures. The wines are a collection of fun interesting varietals that compliment the cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rioja reviews from OpenTable diners
446 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (337)special occasion (276)romantic (159)hot spot (131)notable wine list (130)neighborhood gem (119)great for outdoor dining (68)good for groups (59)great for lunch (49)great for brunch (46)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- AMAZING!beckycdraperDined on 9/14/2014This is one of the best meals I've ever had. Try the vegetarian special even if you're not a vegetarian. The food is fresh and delicious. Will definitely go back here repeatedly.Special Features:
- Wonderful, as alwaysXxxxDined on 9/13/2014This time I tried the octopus, tender but not really to my taste (never had it before and I paid the price of being daring, which Chef Jen does all the time!). My wife's scallops were divine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was outstanding. The services was terrible. It took 15 minutes before anyone came to our table, the waiter read the specials from a card, our food was delivered to table that had just been seated. The space is extremely crowded. We were placed next to a wall with a wall behind one of us. We could not get up to use the restroom. This was the second time we had a bad experience. Will not return.
- Poor ServiceFoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our waiter Matt left us waiting unattended for 45 minutes. The Open Table reservations says that the optimum time for 2 for dinner is one hour and thirty minutes and asks patrons to honor that amount of time so that all reservations can be handled. Our visit was closer to 2 hours due solely to lack of attention after our meal was served. This left us with no time for dessert as we had theater tickets. We would have mentioned it to the waiter and/or other staff but they were not available to us either. One of our pasta meals was very bitter and did not taste good. The cocktail with ginger syrup tasted like cough syrup.
- Worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Dinner was very good. Interesting cocktails and a good wine list. Our server was helpful with wine pairings and menu suggestions. All of the staff were very polite, friendly, and knowledgeable about the menu. The only aspect I wasn't pleased with was reservations. I had made a reservation a couple weeks in advance and upon arrival we were seated at a table that wasn't in the dining room. The table was clearly there for walk-ins. Not sure why a reservation was seated there, but we asked to be moved. I would have preferred a proper table in the dining room. Restaurant should state that you must request a table in the proper dining area if they intend on putting reservations in the bar area. Otherwise, it was a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European "picnic"VickiDined on 9/11/2014We had a wonderful evening. The staff were very accommodating and knowledgeable. The food was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!YummyinDenverDined on 9/11/2014Unique dishes--all delicious! A must-go!!! Ambience was very nice. Crowded and busy but not too much. Food was ridiculously good. We had the pork belly, house salad to start. Both devine. Then one of the hand-made pastas and the halibut for our main dishes. Wow!!!!! And save room for dessert...just too good. Prices were very reasonable. And the service was perfect. Make a reservation--they are busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good. Small portionsnnn2323Dined on 9/11/2014This was my 4th time here & I took out of town coworkers. I had forgotten how small the portions are which is not great for men. 1st course was beet salad. It was actually not a salad but a few beets on a plate with a too sweet sauce. For my entree I had the halibut which was good, but I had really been looking forward to the squid ink pasta with octopus that had unfortunately been taken off the menu. At least it had the same fried lemons from the pasta.Love those. We all ordered dessert because we were still hungry (maybe this is their strategy). I had a strawberry dessert with a cookie and coconut sorbet. The cookie and sorbet were delicious. Strawberry part ok. Had a snack when I got home which is a bummer after a $60 per person meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuous interruptionsjaireviewsDined on 9/11/2014Took a professional connection to lunch. Had a good experience before but this one was not nearly as good. Within the first 5-10 minutes we were served by 4 different people who usually came over and interrupted our conversation rather than politely introducing themselves. Food was also mediocre. I ordered the special that was a kind of meatloaf made of poultry; I couldn't even finish it. Will likely not return.
- Good placePlattParkBanditDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at Rioja. It had been built up quite a bit by several people who recommended it, so my expectations were pretty high. There was nothing wrong with our dining experience, but the bar had been set so high, that I didn't feel it was an extraordinary experience (which is what I'd expected). The food was good, the service was good, but there was nothing that stood out as an "oh wow" dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Second VisitMikeLDined on 9/7/2014We went to Rioja on our anniversary in May and enjoyed it so much we returned in September with family and friends to celebrate my wifes' birthday. Not a single thing bad to say about either experience. The food is incredible and the service outstanding. My elderly in-laws even liked it and they are pretty fussy - a good sign in my world. Special touches like the birthday card for my wife and the celebratory dessert donuts with a candle rounded out a very enjoyable visit. Definitely can't wait to go back again. TRY THE PORK BELLY! it is OUTSTANDING and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DidderOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014it's a great place to go for an anniversary dinnerour.Special Features:
- not what I was led to believejb1977Dined on 9/6/2014I was recommended this restraunt by several friends who said it was great for a romantic night out. I was rather disappointed. The place was very liud making conversation difficult. The appitizer was decent and inventive but small. My wife really enjoyed the sangria, however my martini was littered with ice chunks. The entre was very flavorfull but again too small for the price. Both of us left hungry and a little dissapointed. On the plus side the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner in Larimer SquaremthomDined on 9/6/2014Riojia for dinner before the theatre was a great find! The fresh made pastas were innovative and delicious. The drink selection was fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful. .Special Features:
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014fantastic bread. and the artichoke tortellini is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently exceeds expectationsFoodlvrDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful food and exceptional service, consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsMikeDined on 9/5/2014Wow. Food and service were spot on. We went on out anniversary and just blown away. They even had the staff sign a card. Every part was over the top!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/4/2014Rioja was amazing. Our waiter, Neil, was great so personable and funny he made our experience that much more pleasuable. Also, the price was great especially for the atmosphere and food you can not beat it. I would highly recommend Rioja!!!!Special Features:
- Great, as usualJames751VIPDined on 9/4/2014Rioja for dinner (Petaluma chicken a must-have) is always great, but I took a business associate there for lunch on a sunny Denver late afternoon. Both of us had the lamb burger...fabulous! Lunch time seems to be a slower time for this gem...I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, atmosphere, will returnAcham81Dined on 9/3/2014Rioja is one of my most favorite restaurants! Always a great experience because of the fantastic food, great wine selection and the servers are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningmayorguyDined on 9/3/2014Group of four, seated promptly, service was excellent. Easy to converse, interesting wine list with a very knowledgeable server. Food was superb and well presented. Not cheap but a great value given the quality of the overall experience.Special Features:
- Very good , nice atmoshpereAtlanta01VIPDined on 9/3/2014Great dining experience. Very good food. Try it, you wont be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBECKSDined on 9/2/2014The food was amazing! Everyone was friendly. I was disappointed that they knew we were celebrating a big anniversary and the waiter never mentioned it. Our desert could have been in the house. We spent a lot on food and great bottle of wine, too bad not even a mention of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great when celebratingemichelDined on 8/31/2014I chose this restaurant based on some online reviews, and could not have been more pleased. The food choices were unique and modern, but also accessible and comforting. My husband and I were celebrating an anniversary and the entire staff went out of their way (on a busy weekend evening) to make up feel welcome and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare DisappointmentEllendummVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food is usually top-notch and innovative here. I adore the artichoke tortellini - signature dish! We took a friend from California here for brunch - tried the breakfast sandwich to get out of my rut. Very ordinary and had a sweet cream cheese that didn't fit at all... But I'll be back, because I know this is an unusual experience here.Special Features:
- Excellent as AlwaysKyleVIPDined on 8/30/2014Whenever I'm in Denver I eat at Rioja. The food I'd innovative and delicious. I went with my mother and husband. Everyone loved their meals. The highlights were the pork belly starter, so tender it melted in your mouth, beet salad, ravioli, and the pork. Great red sangria and a good wine list.Special Features:
- jeprJeprVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have always loved Rioja and last Sat. night was no exception. The food and service were both outstanding. I had the Halibut and our guests had the Petaluma chicken. Both were fantastic. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!luvflavorfulfoodDined on 8/30/2014I have been going to Rioja since she opened the restaurant and I love the lunch lamb burger and always order the beignets...YUMMY :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AreyoukiddingmeDined on 8/29/2014Vibrant dining spot. Food was great as was the service. Will definitely dine there again!Special Features:
- GF friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014One of our diners was gluten intolerant, and the chef and waiters not only went out of their way to accommodate her, but were very friendly about it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaltDined on 8/29/2014Everything was excellent except one thing. The temperature inside the restaurant was freezy - much colder than outside that evening and the evening was not even a very warm one.Special Features:
- Artfully unique and lovely cuisineSarahDined on 8/29/2014The food was both beautifully presented and lovely to eat-it was a fun and romantic dining experience with the only downfall being that the cocktails (which were decadent to taste) were not displayed with a level of sophistication and flare that matched the meal. Otherwise the experience was absolutely complete and we are already anticipating our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, as always.BeverleyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Four of us went for restaurant week and had a wonderful meal. We started with the "picnic" and some salads. We had the artichoke pasta, the halibut, chicken and the special seafood pasta dish (our least favorite). We had the chocolate cake and blackberry cheesecake, too. So good! At $200 for four, it wasn't inexpensive, but it was worth it.Special Features:
- inexperienced staff and food subpartinkerypeatDined on 8/28/2014To spend $80 not including drinks for food that was lukewarm, extremely small portion, and really not cooked very well AFTER having to wait 45 minutes past our reservation time was not my idea of a great time. For the same price there are better places in Denver that would provide food that makes you go "oh my god" every bite and a much classier environment.
- Rioja reviewWillYUMDined on 8/28/2014My first experience at Rioja was fabulous and met all my expectations. Service- check. Food- check. Ambiance, decor, and lighting- check. Alcoholic beverage- check. Dessert- check. Timing was flawless and menu is diverse, creative, and delicious. I would recommend this restaurant anytime!Special Features:
- best dining experience evervhouseDined on 8/28/2014I had the best time at Rioja during Denver Restaurant Week. My friend and I made reservations a month in advanced to be able to take part of the special menu. I am a huge fan of Chef Jennifer Jasinski; I have done two stages in the kitchen at the restaurant before ever being a patron. I'm so glad finally took the opportunity to dine at Rioja. We were seated quickly and promptly were attended to. We received water, ordered drinks, placed our food order; the wait staff flawlessly did all this. We ordered a duck confit flatbread that was perfectly seasoned and texturally great. Palisade peaches, pickled red onions, mushrooms, and gorgonzola were paired with the duck and it was so good. Our entrees were mind-blowing and so was dessertSpecial Features:
- Absolutely wonderfulBirthdaygirlsDined on 8/28/2014Restaurant week menu was wonderful. Food presentation was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place in DenverDanandAllisonColoradoDined on 8/27/2014We are always really impressed by the food at Rioja! Everything we have had has been amazing and we have our favorites that we keep coming back for. This is our favorite place in Denver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulTastingCarrotsDined on 8/27/2014Delicious food - Great service - Nothing else to say.Special Features:
- Good but not greatDenCodinerDined on 8/27/2014My dish was good (pork loin), my boyfriend's dish was lacking and extremely underwhelming (pachetti). Small portions. Bread was amazing but the bread waiter only came to our table once. Overall, pretty disappointing, especially given the prices and hype this place gets.Special Features: