1431 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riojadenver.com/
- Phone: 3038202282
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jennifer Jasinski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Rioja
Chef Jennifer Jasinski's creatively inspired Mediterranean food is influenced by local seasonal products. Rioja is simple, pure food that emphasizes bright flavors & textures. The wines are a collection of fun interesting varietals that compliment the cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rioja reviews from OpenTable diners
452 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (324)special occasion (273)romantic (161)notable wine list (136)hot spot (119)neighborhood gem (117)great for outdoor dining (73)good for groups (58)great for brunch (53)great for lunch (53)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- AmazingWashParkGrillDined on 8/26/2014This was the perfect place for a Date Night for my wife and I. She's a Foodie and wanted to try this place for awhile. The pork tenderloin was amazing and melted in my mouth. My wife had the Halibut and couldn't stop talking about how good it was. Everything was so good at Rioja that we can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Consistantly GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Had out of town guests, wanted to take them to our favorite restaurant -- Always good Super staff; Great food, Our guests were impressed with our favorite restaurant We were amazed how efficient the staff was and especially during restaurant week We visited on a Tuesday great location for walking around before and after dinner. Pace of the meal was just right - did not feel rushedSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Four of us dined at Rioja during Denver Restaurant Week and the experience couldn't have been better. The selections on the special menu covered a wide variety of tastes and were scrumptuous. Our server, Adrian, couldn't have been more accommodating and answered all of our questions with graciousness. And the bread basket is worth the trip! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The food was great and would go here again just for that, but the service was horrible which made for a disappointing night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014The food was excellent and the portions were big. We loved the hip vibe here. The wait staff was knowledgable, attentive and helpful. Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying to HardNYFoodieDined on 8/25/2014The ambulance was exciting and the menu was interesting. I think the restaurant was trying to hard to do wait out food. The innovation was to be applauded but the birdseed on the dessert was not.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We went to Rioja for 5280 week. It's a great restaurant with great food. It's a great date night restaurantSpecial Features:
- Wow doesn't it enoughLaceyVIPDined on 8/25/2014The food was out of this world. I had the ricotta cheese cake as a starter it was so full flavor. Neil our waiter was beyond incredible. This is our new special occassion go to. The binets are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Win!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Thank you to Jen and Beth for offering your entire regular menu (with a few moderate upcharges) during the 2014 Restaurant Week. That showed us your high level of class and customer care, and we really appreciated it. Everything was amazing!Special Features:
- pork belly standoutNeilAdamMcGinnisVIPDined on 8/23/2014Housemade Doughnuts- 5/5 Cantaloupe Consomme- 3/5 (good but essentially just cantaloupe water) Fresh Bacon- 5/5 (wow... sounds kinda boring but tastes AMAZING) Artichoke Tortelloni- 4/5 (good but not something i would order again) Morning Cocktails- 4/5 (better than most places but i'm still craving real cocktails) Service- 5/5 (our waitress was very nice and helpful) Atmosphere- 3/5 (very conservative, not my style) Overall we enjoyed this restaurant very much. It's clear they know how to cook food properly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Go-To for Special OccasionsShrinkucciDined on 8/22/2014Rioja is a special restaurant. It has maintained a high standard for as long as we have been going there. The menu changes regularly, the service is great and the food is delicious. There is an appetizer on the menu called The Picnic. It is an array of interesting olives, meats, nuts and delicately prepared cheeses and vegetables. We can't seem to ever NOT order it. It is marvelous. Two additional advantages are the inexpensive parking and the fact it is adjacent to Corridor 99--a fun champagne bar. We typically order a split or two of bubbly there and then go to Rioja's at our appointed time. It makes for a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OkobojibelleVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had the pheasant (the night's special) and lamb and both were excellent! The pheasant had been brined and was succulent and very tender and there was a whole breast and leg - a big pheasant compared to the ones my brother brings to the table during pheasant hunting season. The lamb had great flavor althought the portions on the lamb could have been better. The strawberry halibut ceviche was really good - the sweet and sour taste between the strawberries and the jalepenos was a wonderful contrast. And to top off the dinner we had the Strawberry and Coconut dessert. My date and I decided to share and he did not get very much of it! Sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation? Who cares...LucyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Having made a 7 pm reservation, we were not seated until 8 pm. It then took 45 minutes before we saw any food and what we did get was over salted. Our waiter presented us with a complimentary appetizer which did not take into consideration clearly stated food allergies. My scallops were nice, but the arugula risotto tasted like grass! The lamb 3 ways was cold and the vegetables inedible. The pork chop was nicely roasted, but cold by the time it reached us. I can understand a restaurant having a busy night, but this was an epic fail on several fronts. We will not return and recommend that everyone else think twice about visiting this once well reviewed restaurant.
- DenverKVSVIPDined on 8/21/2014Rioja never fails to disappoint. The service is impeccable and the food excellent, the menu including seasonal ingredients, is extremely creative. One area of improvement is managing the reservations and the dining room. For the second time I had reservations and had to wait over a half hour for my table. The staff was delightful, treating us to cocktails and an appetizer however, it would have been nicer to have had my table ready when our party arrived.Special Features:
- 1st RecommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary here. Being our second dining was as outstanding as the first. I won't say that about many places, but this one hit all the marks. Food was refreshing and brilliant by taste and presentation. The service nailed it, friendly knowledgeable and diligent without being overbearing. The magnetic ambiance matches the food and staff. Every place we've been to more than once, can't repeat the magic like this one just did. That's why this would be my first recommendation to those visiting Denver looking for great diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing.Mthede1VIPDined on 8/17/2014The experience at Rioja was everything we expected it to be and more! The food and service were outstanding - can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Amazing as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Food, service, and atmosphere always amazing! Keep up the great job! We love your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chefs bar1dinerDined on 8/16/2014Turns out it is a view of the pastry chef, and they are not interactive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decor = bad hotel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Wait staff was disinterested. Food was just okay for the price. Lacks ambiance and good service. It was packed on Friday night with a boring crowd. If you agree that price should include food, service and ambience, do not go here. You will feel cheated. And leave hungry.Special Features:
- Rushed?jofilogomoVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and as usual the food didn't disappoint!!! We did however, feel rushed through the meal. Our waiter didn't even tell us his name and didn't engage us. The host was super wonderful and the attention from the bus boys was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Chicken SandwichKaraStDined on 8/15/2014I mostly go to Rioja for the Gabe's Chronic Chicken sandwich. It is very unusual and flavorful!Special Features:
- Rioja - great as alwaysdottie4diningDined on 8/13/2014Food is excellent, the wine was excellent, service was great. Love their biscuits too!Special Features:
- Missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014We chose Rioja's to celebrate our anniversary and let them know it was a special occasion. The service and food were good. The restaurant, however, was alarmingly loud and not particularly conducive to a romantic date. As we were leaving the couple at the table next to us were visited by a server with a dessert with a candle who broadly announced his congratulations on their anniversary--the kind of special touch we expected. I mentioned this on my way out and was told that the next time I come in, they would offer us free drinks and an appetizer. I am not sure how that will be accomplished. Does Rioja keep records? It left a bad taste for their customer service and I don't think we'll be returning for special events in the future.Special Features:
- Delicious Gluten-Free Optionsafos13Dined on 8/10/2014I was so grateful for the knowledgeable staff and how many gluten-free options were available (such as veggie chips instead of bread). Thank you for a great meal and experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PastafoodyDined on 8/10/2014The pasta here as melt in your mouth tender. The service was excellent and the ambiance was perfect! Great find!Special Features:
- RobertDined on 8/10/2014We had a great dinner earlier in the year and our recent brunch was no less brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJamesDined on 8/9/2014Fantastic and friendly service, great food and wonderful wine. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!HappyDined on 8/8/2014We had never been there before and we were very impressed. Every one of our Entrees were delicious. I had the chicken it was very juicy tender and flavorful. It was the best chicken I have ever eaten. Everyone was very friendly and attentive to our needs. It was my daughter-in-laws birthday and they graciously comped her dessert. I would recommend them highly.Special Features:
- Friday evening dinnerCiagradDined on 8/8/2014It had been a while since we had last dined at Rioja, and decided to visit again with out of town friends who were in Denver for just the evening. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Beet gnocchis were fabulous and our friend highly recommended the lamb entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet another great mealdenverguy49VIPDined on 8/8/2014Fantastic in every way. Food service and ambiance were perfect.Special Features:
- Oh the tastes!apapol3xDined on 8/7/2014We stuck mostly to the appetizer section at Rioja, but we were consistently amazed by the variety and deliciousness of the tastes we were experiencing. Go with the halibut civiche as well as the Rioja picnic as great starters. You will not be surprised that the entrees are also delicious and the benoits for desert may even take the cake!Special Features:
- Great food but noisyeseverDined on 8/7/2014All of the food my partner and I had was beautifully presented and delicious, but I prefer quieter restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently perfectPEAHENDined on 8/7/2014Rioja has been a favorite of ours for quite some time. We live far out of town but always choose Rioja as one of our top choices when we come into the city. We know we will have excellent food and the service will be great - as it was this time. Scott our waiter saw to our every wish in a professional, quiet way and treated my " girls" group with the utmost class. The dinner was the perfect opening to a fantastic evening and weekend. Cudos to Rioja, their chef and all their staff, even their valet service who came through with extra service in a pinch.Special Features:
- Lovely service, unique foodTexanintownDined on 8/6/2014Great spot. Bartender recommended two Spanish wines (red for my husband, white for me) that were delicious. We waited at the bar with our wine for a short time before our table was ready - we were glad we made reservations because it was crowded. My husband had a steak for dinner and I had an interesting, tasty, light vegetarian meal. Excellent bread. Service was just impeccable. Really enjoyed this restaurant.Special Features:
- Must EatPBeeVeeDined on 8/4/2014Rioja met all of my expectations. Great food, atmosphere and service. Food is just as much about "the experience" as the taste and Rioja delivered. The décor was lovely, seating was comfortable and the staff and management seemed to enjoy their job as well as servicing guests. The fabulous bread basket that came to our table and offered so may unique choices to try. The young waiter was enthusiastic and informative. The waitress was outstanding and helpful with menu choices. The Beignet dessert was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OveratedfloatingneuronDined on 8/3/2014The food was ordinary and overpriced. The wine list was only fair and also overrated. The reception was confused. All waiters were terrific.
- OutstandingMortDined on 8/2/2014We chose Rioja to celebrate our daughter's 40th birthday. As usual everything was fantastic..service, wine and food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DELIGHTFUL EVENINGImNotRobertIrvineDined on 8/2/2014On a Saturday evening my family and I came to Riojas to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We were seated promptly by our reservation time and despite having two boys with us (ages 8 and 6) they made no attempt to 'hide' the children off in a corner somewhere. In fact as the staff presented themselves while each course and their delicious selection of breads was offered, they made a point of suggesting items they thought would appeal to a younger palate. The food was excellent from appetizer through dessert. Portions were adequate and filling. Most of all, the service was attentive and very gracious. The staff is well trained and operate well as a team. I highly recommend coming here for YOUR special occasion as surely we will.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and placeGourmetfind14Dined on 8/1/2014We had a dinner at Rioja and it met all expectations and then some. The recipes were very creative and true discoveries. We had ceviche in four south American countries, but the halibut ceviche recipe was completely unusual and delicious, a real gourmet gem. Grilled octopus that was on special was perfectly paired with sides and a very fresh take on one of our favorite dishes. If we visit Denver again we will definitely look to come back.Special Features:
- Great eveningStraightUp3Dined on 8/1/2014Second visit. Early dinner, uncrowded, relaxed. Barbara made Perfect Rob Roys perfectly. Neil was great waiter all evening. Relaxed. Not rushed. Food good, not great as last visit. Steve the manager stopped by to chat, much appreciated. We like Rioja, makes us feel at home. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.