Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Lone Tree
9535 Park Meadows Dr
Lone Tree, CO 80124Neighborhood:
Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Lone Tree
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://riograndemexican.com/details/locations.aspx?id=1&loc=6
- Phone: (303) 799-4999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: William Herrera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Sunday: Family Appreciation Night and Kids Eat Free
Monday thru Friday: Happy Hour from 3-6pm with $3 tacos, $3 drafts, $3 appetizers and $1 off margaritas!
A word from Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Lone Tree
The Rio provides sanctuary from the problems of the world while serving the best dang margaritas and Mexican food this side of the Rio Grande. Fresh Tex-Mex Cuisine is created in house everyday. We are known for our legendary margaritas and our festive atmosphere. We aim to create a family friendly environment and provide weekly entertainment for inexpensive social outings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Lone Tree - Best Restaurants in Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree ›
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Lone Tree reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (19)kid-friendly (13)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)special occasion (4)late-night find (4)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A bit of a messKaleinmyCoffeeVIPDined on 11/22/2014Service here is really up and down depending on your wait staff. Unfortunately our dinner there was not great at our last visit. I ordered a vegetarian spinach enchilada but received a chicken dish. The re-make tasted like they added a cup of salt. By then, I had really lost my appetite. They did try to make amends but I wish there was more consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful hosts to a rowdy crowdBigGroupOutDined on 11/22/2014Thank you Rio for allowing our little group of 14 to invade your restaurant for the evening! Our waiter, Josh, was on top of it and took great care of our large group. The gracious service started immediately upon our arrival with a happy hostess showing us to our already ready table, away from the middle of the room (this was wonderful for us) and being extremely welcoming. Josh was attentive without hovering and seemed to enjoy that we were having a good time! Yes we admit we are a bit loud and probably but when you get a large group of friends together you have to expect them to have some fun! We were so happy with your service I am sure we will return for one of our next gatherings! Thank you for showing our group such gracious service and for being our go to place for a fun night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent MexicanTamDine99Dined on 11/14/2014One of my favorite places. The salsa has a lot of cilantro, though. The guacamole is good. The food is piping hot and tasty. The drinks are strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreMInxVIPDined on 11/12/2014I expected more from this restaurant. I made a good reservation and updated accordingly and when we got there they stuck us in a corner booth they were not very accommodating to move to a larger table. We got there at 7:30 and 815 the waiter informed us that the kitchen with clothes in 10 minutes and we would need to make out last drink and food orders. I was very surprised at this with no prior notification and with a party of eight this shortened our evening. Would love to have given a bit rude to you but I was not pleased at all.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Alex, our waiter, was outstanding. On an overly crowded night he kept the delicious salsa and chips coming as well as the beverages until our entire group could make up their mind to order!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We had a party of 20. Using OpenTable to reserve our table couldn't have been more simple. The restaurant had a great table set up for us. The service was prompt, and the food and margaritas were good. Worthy of note is that the waiter didn't even blink at the request for separate checks. Overall, it was a great night at a great restaurant. One we will repeat in the future.Special Features:
- Great timeBreakfastDined on 11/2/2014We come as a group once a month here. Service and food is always wonderful.Special Features:
- Great placeSherpasReviewVIPDined on 10/17/2014One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in greater Denver.Special Features:
- Go to PlacenjdiningDined on 10/3/2014We enjoy eating at the Rio. You can eat fast if you are trying to make a movie or relax and enjoy a dinner with friends. The food is good and the margaritas are so tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Off Day For Them?Maximillian00VIPDined on 9/28/2014This was my first visit here, but the reviews have been really solid. There is a varied margarita list including one that has fresh grapefruit juice added in. These drinks were really good. The house margarita was not the best, but it was still good. The atomic chili con queso was tasty, but I don't agree on the "atomic" aspect. Mildly spicy. The chili rellanos were great. I love when they use green chilis vs. Anaheim or poblano peppers, very cheesy and the spicy green chili sauce on top really enhanced the flavor. No refried beans at this restaurant, only black beans, but they gave me extra rice as a substitute. The only negative was slow service and they kept forgetting which table the food went to for us and the other diners.
- Awful service but great foodCS0629Dined on 9/19/2014First off, I came in and said that I had a reservation for 10 people at 6:30 and they told me that I wasn't on the list. Then I found my reservation online and showed them and then they realized that half of the party was already there... We are a fun group who got together to celebrate our birthdays and our server seemed annoyed with us the entire time. We asked him to take a picture and he said when he had time; which is fine but we had to ask again an hour later. We had to ask for refills and he brought our checks when we weren't ready. We planned on hanging out and having drinks but felt pushed to leave. We would've left him extra money for taking up his tables but service was so bad that we tipped 20%.Special Features:
- Good Mex for VeggiesTamDine99Dined on 9/13/2014Even though I'm vegetarian they were able to accommodate me. The margaritas are a good value. The guacamole & entree (cheese enchiladas) were good. Don't touch the hot plate!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerkatipearlDined on 9/6/2014I brought one of my friends here to celebrate her birthday. Not only did the wait staff go above and beyond to make our dinner fun, the food and margs were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server was AWESOME!WoodyBDined on 9/5/2014Friendly, attentive, but NEVER pushy staff. They worked as a team. Busy evening, yet our food arrived in a timely manner, correctly prepared, with NO problems - and there were six of us! Good job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RioMBSBDined on 9/5/2014Yummy food. Great margs! Good night out with friends. Funny and friendly server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceJohnVIPDined on 8/5/2014We came in to the Rio Grande with my in-laws. Great food, great drinks and an even better server. Thanks so much for a great experience. We will be back.Special Features:
- KathyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed another date night with great service, food and drink.Special Features:
- The following 157 reviews are from the Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Lone Tree reviews archive.
- Spinach enchilada with ZuchiniHananVIPDined on 7/19/2014Yummm, that Insalata was delicious! I am glad they are so generous with the spinach. Four iamb a spinach lover is something I like in my died every day. My friend had the fish tacos and mauled them down. With that I'm assuming they are great! I drink a Don Julio Anejo Coin Margarita. It was done perfectly! What are you waiting for? Go and get yourself some delicious Mexican food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good this timeJohnVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were a large party of 15, which we know is hard to serve. However the waiter was very cocky and disinterested in making us happy. It seemed that because we weren't getting any alcohol that we weren't important. The tables were sticky. The food was mediocre and dry. I have been there many times before and have had great service so hopefully this was a one time deal. A table behind us had a family that let their approximately 5 year old keep screaming throughout the entire dinner. The family just kept laughing and it seemed that they were friends of some of the workers. This was the worst experience at a restaurant I've had in a long time. I am sure that we weren't the only ones this evening
- Outstanding FoodCuzindenverDined on 7/16/2014I ordered the steak fajitas this time and the steak enchilada the previous visit. The meat was amazing both times with a great flavor exactly how I remembered. I normally don't order steak with Mexican food but will every time I visit Rio Grande. Also the salsa was amazing with the perfect "kick"!! Well worth the drive from Colorado Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MargsKevinDined on 7/3/2014The Rio is a colorado institution. It's consistently tasty and the margaritas are better than most mexican restaurants. It's a very large restaurant, so it's great for groups and meeting up with people.Special Features:
- Great first time experienceCuzindenverDined on 6/25/2014From making the reservation to the customer service we experienced through out our dinner, our experience was wonderful. Our server Alex was amazing and very attentive to our needs. He is so great at his job and knows how to deal with the public!!Special Features:
- Weird Reservation PolicyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014The food was good, the restaurant was somewhat loud and it was difficult to carry on a conversation. My only concern is that my mother called to make a reservation for 12 people and was told that they did not take reservations after 4pm. I then went online and was able to make the exact same reservation through opentable. The restaurant was also not very busy which lead us to not understand the policy of not taking phone reservations after 4pm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Very GoodVVWDAWVIPDined on 5/30/2014I used to be a fan of the margaritas at the Rio Grande in Boulder. But either their recipe has changed or I have changed, because I really didn't enjoy it. And the food went downhill from there. The Tortilla Soup was more like tomato vegetable soup with carrots and celery. The tomatillo salsa on my burrito was very bitter, probably because the tomatillos weren't ripe enough. My husband's steak burrito with the hot green chili was OK but not great. The only good things about the dining experience was that the waitress was very friendly and prompt, and the Open Table reservation was great to have because there was a huge waiting line when we arrived.
- Good foodFunnyNachoDined on 5/22/2014Good food and relaxed atmosphere! Wait staff is very helpful and takes care of the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good taste, but weak presentation.HeathDined on 5/13/2014I can't complain about the flavors, but we were hoping for a little more effort in presentation for the price point. I know it has a reputation for margaritas, but since we don't drink, there's no allure there. I'm not saying stay away. I'm not saying drop everything and go. Just a good meal and a fair price.
- Mother's Day TreatFoodiefaveDined on 5/11/2014I had been to the Rio Grande for dinner with friends a couple of times so thought we'd try brunch/lunch for my family since the food was so great. I was very pleased to be able to make a reservation for 9 of us. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. All of us will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love my fajitasHananVIPDined on 5/8/2014Party of six and no one had any complaints. Service was great ! Hostess didn't know anything about OpenTable.com and was slightly on the Rude SIDESpecial Features:
- Happy HourRBZLVIPDined on 4/30/2014We went during happy hour to check the place out for the first time. The food was pretty good, the drinks/margaritas were fairly average but everyone else seems to think they're amazing so we must be a minority. Service was a little on the poor side - they weren't very busy, but water didn't get refilled, an order had to be remade, and the items on the bill weren't priced according to the happy hour prices. I've seen them packed at dinner, so I'm a little worried to go back when they're that busy if the service when they're slow isn't amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- corona light on tapkerriVIPDined on 4/22/2014love that you now have corona light on tap -- so good as is everything elseSpecial Features:
- It's the Rio, you go for thekwickoneDined on 4/12/2014It's the Rio, you go for the Margaritas and environment, not necessarily the food. That being said, all four of us had the Rio Salad, with varying meat toppings and dressings. We all LOVED it! I had the salad with the Shrimp option, but requested the "Diabla" preparation for the shrimp. It was AWESOME! Others had the 'smoked chicken' topping, which had a zesty green sauce that was great too. And of course the Mararitas (House with Rocks and Salt) were fantastic as always. All in all a very good experience.Special Features:
- Not the original...Fan4BroncoDined on 4/5/2014The Rio is a great restaurant which started in Fort Collins. The original still has the best atmosphere and the best patio. However, the best part of dining at the Rio is still available in Lone Tree...the margaritas. Still the best I've ever had. The food is good but you don't really go for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service!kerriVIPDined on 3/7/2014enjoyed dinner as usual - service was better than everSpecial Features:
- Rio Grande Sad DayM155YDined on 3/1/2014I was very disappointed with my visit to the Rio this time. It was so loud in the place that you could barely have a conversation with the person sitting next to you. Our waiter acted like he was out for a Sunday stroll, there was no hustle in his step at all. At one point he left my drink sitting on a tray so that he could go attend to another table. Then when the food came out he forgot to ring in one of my friends orders, so she had to wait for her food while the rest of us started to eat ours. The water jugs at the table were never refilled for our entire visit nor did the waiter ask if we would like to have them refilled. I will say that the food was very delicious and enjoyable however, that was the only enjoyable part of my visit.Special Features:
- love the enchiladaskerriVIPDined on 2/22/2014the crab and shrimp enchiladas are the best - fresh and tastySpecial Features:
- If you are a "newbie" to theIzzyVIPDined on 2/21/2014If you are a "newbie" to the area finding this location can be tricky. We were seated right away (4 children & myself), unfortunately we were seated next to a table of young drinking adults (and more people showed up as we were eating and crammed us in at the table). The staff should be able to use better judgement in family seating vs tables of drinking. The waiter took 15 minutes to approach and mentioned he was filling in for our assigned waiter. The chile con queso was bland and the salsa was watery. The food was just ok. The kids ordered nachos and there was more lettuce on the plate than any meat, chip, cheese, or beans! I ordered the enchiladas verde - which barely had any verde and was dry. We won't be revisiting this restaurant.Special Features:
- Rio Grande Park MeadowsJivesDined on 2/14/2014Good food, good service, fairly standard Mexican menu, reasonably pricedI would recommend this to a friend.
- I was able to make a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I was able to make a reservation and was seated on time. The hostess was great, the food was great and my service was good. I would definitely recommend the Rio Grande Restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Great for Date NightkerriVIPDined on 2/8/2014loved the shrimp and crab enchiladas -- taste great every time!!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceLisaVIPDined on 1/31/2014First we sat at a table in the bar and no one waited on us. So we decided to go to our table. We must have been invisible because a lot of waiters came by our table but no one acknowledge us. So after about 15 minutes we got up and left. We told the manager what happened and all she did was make excuses for the servers. Never going back.