Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
1101 Walnut St.
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.riograndemexican.com/boulder
- Phone: 3034443690x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch
A word from Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
Step away from the Pearl Street Mall and escape to the Rio – for a little weekend spirit every day of the week. The Boulder Rio is seriously good, whether you’re bringing the family for dinner or just bringing your thirst for a good time on our rooftop patio(rooftop reservations can not be guaranteed).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (35)great for outdoor dining (32)hot spot (21)neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (19)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (10)special occasion (9)late-night find (8)fit for foodies (6)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)Show More
- Great time!ineverwritereviewsDined on 8/23/2014We had a great table in the 'garage' section....kinda inside, kinda outside, great for people watching. Our service and food were both top notch....would recommend to a friend!Special Features:
- Great food, forgettable servicefoodie123Dined on 8/22/2014My friend and I went to the Rio Grande in Boulder, expecting the same quality dining experience that we would get in the Rio Grande in Greeley. While the food was of similar quality, the service we received was far different. Our server, who was very nice, forgot to put in the order for our appetizer and ended up bringing me the wrong drink. I suspect the reasons for the latter was because of the noise level - the party behind us was very loud and the rest of the restaurant was nearly as loud. A server brought us the wrong plates, which were intended for a table across from us. We weren't very impressed by the service, especially when the service at the restaurant in Greeley has never faltered for us.
- Beautiful evening!Tequila3shotsDined on 8/22/2014Great food & service for a birthday celebration. Made the night great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisySimplerequestDined on 8/21/2014Took the recommendation from the "Best of Boulder". Good but not spectacular food. Very poor ambiance dye to the extreme noise level. It was literally so noisy that we had to shout at each other to be heard. Conversation was out of the question. We quickly ate our food and left. We will not return.
- NancyDined on 8/20/2014LOVE THE ROOFTOP! Good Food and Friendly Service!Special Features:
- SurprisedREnew52VIPDined on 8/8/2014I was expecting a good marg - which delivered. But I really wasn't expecting fresh, well prepared, well presented food! The place is huge but each dish seems a small masterpiece. We had the queso verduras as appetizer. And then the steak and pork tacos. Dessert was Mexican chocolate flan. Good tequila list. Only draw back was the noise level. The waitress literally had to get within two feet to speak to us. But service was very good. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Fantastic for GroupsLaurenCDined on 8/1/2014We had a reservation for 10, but the addition of some unexpected guests bumped us up to around 15. Our waiter was incredibly accommodating and patient with us and everything went smoothly for the most part. Would definitely recommend for large groups.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Awesome ceviche - would prefer red onion not white though. and possibly a mango to the recipe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best roof top view in BouldetChowdNationDined on 7/31/2014Took my visiting neice from Boston to the rooftop and it's spectacular. View is wonderful and roof is a nice size. The Rio Grande is exceptional whether inside or out and their Mexican food is spot on. Great bar with drinks too. Plus you can go there for multiple occasions. Be it special or informal or just hanging out with friends, to the unparalleled Boulder vibe. Thoroughly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaThanksVIPDined on 7/25/2014We loved Bella - her service was great. margaritas and fajitas yummySpecial Features:
- Rooftop let downRooftopDined on 7/24/2014When making the reservation I had asked for a rooftop table or a secluded area. I had even talked to someone on the phone regarding the rooftop reservation. Once we got there we were told you could not make reservations for the rooftop and they were "first come first serve". I would have been fine with this if the person I spoke with told me that. Also, my second request was somewhere a little secluded. My table was right next to the entrance for the kitchen and we could not even hear each other. The food was great but I don't expect that I will ever go back with a larger group (of 8) again. Also, maybe when someone asked for something you know can't happen you should let them know right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best rooftop Margarita experienceKevinDined on 7/12/2014This is always a great experience! Great margaritas, Great views, Great company. My favorite place to bring friends to meet/talk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmospheremommypersonDined on 7/5/2014I took my daughter to lunch Saturday for her birthday. I was a bit concerned about dining on the rooftop in 90-degree heat, but I was pleasantly surprised that the misters kept things quite comfortable. The restaurant manager came by and we struck up a conversation. She was very pleasant. The waitstaff was very accommodating, and the meal was good. This was my first visit to The Rio, but not my daughter's. It was a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Rio Grande is a Boulder mainstayGraphtricksDined on 6/30/2014A super popular Boulder hangout, the Rio is the place to be on a perfect summer night. The rooftop patio is a hard place to get seated at when the weather is nice. Food is great, ambiance is hip, and the rooftop water misters keep the heat down. Even with reservations, be prepared to wait for the experience. The Rio is a great taste of Boulder in the summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, quick and good foodBoulderHobbesVIPDined on 6/27/2014We eat here often. Food is good Tex Mex and they have been expanding their menu. Moderate prices. Free chips and fresh salsa with options for other and hotter salsa.Special Features:
- Great eveningBTOEDined on 6/27/2014We used the open table reservation that the Rio suggests. Friday Night at 5';30 for a party of 4. A Good idea to make reservations. We were located on the patio but not completely outside. The temperature was great, the food was good, service was ok and got worse as the place got busier. We had a great experience.Special Features:
- Great food and servicejackgtVIPDined on 6/24/2014Everything was solid. They graciously accommodated our move to a bigger table so we could spread out, and the service was great. Minor bump when a margarita came out frozen instead of on the rocks, which they rectified with a smile. Food was very good, margaritas were STRONG, and tasty. Would definitely go back or try the other Denver locations.Special Features:
- Always FunFlower1Dined on 6/15/2014Of course, the marg's are the best in town but the food has had its ups and downs. The service and food were great! We had the crab and shrimp enchiladas; order them with green sauce, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereRIOLoveDined on 6/12/2014I came down from Denver to meet a friend who goes to CU boulder and I have to say it was quite an experience. The vibe was amazing around 10pm and it perfectly set the mood for the evening. Is definitely toe to toe with the denver RIO location. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedTLH54Dined on 6/8/2014I had heard good things about Rio Grande and was looking forward to having one of their margaritas. Our server brought our chips and salsa and the chips were broken bits, the size at the very bottom of a bag that you throw out. I had to ask her to replace them. My Big Tex margarita, for $8.00, was nothing special at all. I've had better. However, my Chili Relleno was one of the best I have ever had! I would return just to have another one - hopefully they are consistent. If you're looking for a Wow! Mexican Restaurant, this would not be that place.
- Good thing there's great margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/2/2014Drinks are great, food is poor, service is terrible. Roof top is also great. What can I say, I guess the margaritas and the view will bring us back but don't be in a hurry and eat before you go.
- Caliente Mexican Food in BoulderemacthreeDined on 5/31/2014The Rio Grande is a great place for Margarita's and people watching on the patio. The service was outstanding and the food was very good. We loved the home made tortillas and the fajita's were excellent. The jalapenos caps were very hot, so if you like a spicy hot appetizer than that is for you. We also had the home made guacamole which was very good. Great people, great food and a great place to enjoy fresh food, cold beer and a frozen margarita or 2.Special Features:
- The following 138 reviews are from the Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder reviews archive.
- Outstanding!GreatgradpartyDined on 5/23/2014We took 19 people out to lunch after a graduation ceremony and experienced outstanding service. Our waitress did a great job and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable.YumyumDined on 5/20/2014I was 10 minutes late and was seated the minute we arrived. Food was excellent and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- The Rio is an institution.ErwinDined on 5/17/2014The Rio is an institution. There are some staff that have been there for years and recognize patrons. The best house marg north of the Rio Bravo.Special Features:
- Best EverReglrVIPDined on 5/16/2014I've been eating at the Rio since it opened in Ft Collins. My family has probably been to the Boulder Rio more than 1,000 times: date nights, family groups small and large, birthdays, anniversaries, office Christmas parties, and when we just don't feel like cooking. Made lots of friends among the staff and other diners over the years. It's like home & family. Oh, and the food and drink are great!Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere, good food!BrenDined on 5/9/2014We have dined here the past two times we have been in Boulder. We really like it! Had great service both times and the food is good and not overpriced. The margaritas are quite strong...there is a reason they limit you to 3!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GradmomDined on 5/9/2014Food is ok. Not great. Drinks especially margaritas outstanding. Noisy convenient locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop lunchPattyjoVIPDined on 5/5/2014Cinco de Mayo , margaritas, good friends, rooftop. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchrjroDined on 4/27/2014Service was Good, Sopapilla for Bday! Food was Average. Prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- Air con when it's 45 out?AugusteGusteauDined on 4/19/2014Food was good and well prepared. Service was fine but the restaurant was quite busy and our server had tunnel vision when it came to her station. Noise level was extremely loud and not conducive to talking. The worst part though was the air conditioning. It was 45 degrees and raining outside yet they had their fans and air con on. These days it seems that many restaurants are more concerned with the comfort level of their employees than they are with their guests. All winter long we have dined in places with air conditioners running. I understand that the staff gets hot while running around but are restaurants open for the staff or customers? Take a tip: when most people in your establishment are wearing their coats, it means they're cold.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good all around experienceRickQDined on 4/12/2014I've been here a few times now. The margaritas are good and relatively strong. The food is very good - definitely above average and not too expensive. The outdoor seating on the roof is great when the weather is nice and has a nice view of the mountains. Staff is friendly and the atmosphere is lively without being over-noisy. Very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually awesome but not this time.debstuffDined on 4/5/2014We frequent the Rio quite often and love them - they're one of our top favorites which is why we planned to have a birthday dinner here for my twin stepsons turning 20. The service was super slow this time (and we kept running out of water) and then in spite of calling ahead and letting them know about the birthdays (they do a little special something for bdays) they totally forgot about it :( This visit was just 'off' - an unfortunate thing for a bday celebration. We'll go back though because they're usually awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OVERRATED and so disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/29/2014After living in the Boulder area for years I decided to check out The Rio based on numerous recommendations. I was so disappointed! I have had great margaritas with fresh lime juice, no mix and great tequila and The Rio margarita just wasn't 'it'. All you could taste was tequila and if that's what is considered a "great" margarita well I disagree. The salsa tasted like pureed tomatoes, no spice or flavor and the chips were stale. My steak tacos were bland and don't get me started on the rice and beans. Again, flavorless. It was one of the few times I could not wait for dinner to be over. Disappointed and really wanted to love having a good margarita place with good food locally instead of having to wait to fly to AZ to get it.
- Great for Big GroupschelsDined on 3/21/2014The Rio is differently one of our favorite spots to go for birthdays or other events. they are so accomodating with taking reservations for our big groups and having the table ready and set to go when we arrive. Our waitress this time was spot on with no mistakes and always being there to refresh our salsas or drinks as needed.Special Features:
- Always a fun spottwinklestarDined on 3/21/2014Fun spot when you want to be surrounded by lots of happy people, impeccable service, great margs, and yummy food ... what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayReorDined on 3/1/2014I celebrated my bday in this restaurant and the staff was really nice. Our waiter was very helpful and patient with our large group. They even helped us with the cake we brought! A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Would Recommend!TorchyHDDined on 2/14/2014Rio Grande was somewhere my girlfriend and I had never gone before. We decided on this place because we both like Mexican food, and the food was great! She got a tostada and I got a smothered burrito. The best part of it all was that they were very accommodating to my Gluten Free diet and they even had a special paragraph in their menu about it. It is nice to see the awareness some restaurants have about food allergies. I really appreciated it! The only thing was that it was quite loud. I didn't realize the type of energy that was going to be at this place. Since it was Valentines Day and our Anniversary, I was expecting to go somewhere quieter. However, after getting used to the noise levels and energy, it still was a great date!Special Features:
- Valentines dinner for 3DieselDined on 2/14/2014I brought my wife and 8 year old son for dinner here. Food was very good and the service was good as well. Kids menu had a nice selection and the margaritas were outstanding. We will for sure go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beVisitorDined on 2/14/2014We have been to the Rio many times over the years. Our last two visits were a disappointment. The food was only okay. This time we noticed that our glasses were 3/4 full of ice when we finished our margaritas, so we suspect they are trying to cut corners by serving less drink and more ice. One thing we were always able to count on at the Rio was a really good margarita. There are lots of choices for Mexican food in Boulder now, so I'm not sure we'll be back.