Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
1101 Walnut St.
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.riograndemexican.com/boulder
- Phone: (303) 444-3690
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch
A word from Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
Step away from the Pearl Street Mall and escape to the Rio – for a little weekend spirit every day of the week. The Boulder Rio is seriously good, whether you’re bringing the family for dinner or just bringing your thirst for a good time on our rooftop patio(rooftop reservations can not be guaranteed).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (30)great for outdoor dining (24)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (17)neighborhood gem (15)scenic view (13)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (8)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (6)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)Show More
- Usually awesome but not this time.debstuffDined on 4/5/2014We frequent the Rio quite often and love them - they're one of our top favorites which is why we planned to have a birthday dinner here for my twin stepsons turning 20. The service was super slow this time (and we kept running out of water) and then in spite of calling ahead and letting them know about the birthdays (they do a little special something for bdays) they totally forgot about it :( This visit was just 'off' - an unfortunate thing for a bday celebration. We'll go back though because they're usually awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OVERRATED and so disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/29/2014After living in the Boulder area for years I decided to check out The Rio based on numerous recommendations. I was so disappointed! I have had great margaritas with fresh lime juice, no mix and great tequila and The Rio margarita just wasn't 'it'. All you could taste was tequila and if that's what is considered a "great" margarita well I disagree. The salsa tasted like pureed tomatoes, no spice or flavor and the chips were stale. My steak tacos were bland and don't get me started on the rice and beans. Again, flavorless. It was one of the few times I could not wait for dinner to be over. Disappointed and really wanted to love having a good margarita place with good food locally instead of having to wait to fly to AZ to get it.
- Great for Big GroupschelsDined on 3/21/2014The Rio is differently one of our favorite spots to go for birthdays or other events. they are so accomodating with taking reservations for our big groups and having the table ready and set to go when we arrive. Our waitress this time was spot on with no mistakes and always being there to refresh our salsas or drinks as needed.Special Features:
- Always a fun spottwinklestarDined on 3/21/2014Fun spot when you want to be surrounded by lots of happy people, impeccable service, great margs, and yummy food ... what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayReorDined on 3/1/2014I celebrated my bday in this restaurant and the staff was really nice. Our waiter was very helpful and patient with our large group. They even helped us with the cake we brought! A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Would Recommend!TorchyHDDined on 2/14/2014Rio Grande was somewhere my girlfriend and I had never gone before. We decided on this place because we both like Mexican food, and the food was great! She got a tostada and I got a smothered burrito. The best part of it all was that they were very accommodating to my Gluten Free diet and they even had a special paragraph in their menu about it. It is nice to see the awareness some restaurants have about food allergies. I really appreciated it! The only thing was that it was quite loud. I didn't realize the type of energy that was going to be at this place. Since it was Valentines Day and our Anniversary, I was expecting to go somewhere quieter. However, after getting used to the noise levels and energy, it still was a great date!Special Features:
- Valentines dinner for 3DieselDined on 2/14/2014I brought my wife and 8 year old son for dinner here. Food was very good and the service was good as well. Kids menu had a nice selection and the margaritas were outstanding. We will for sure go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beVisitorDined on 2/14/2014We have been to the Rio many times over the years. Our last two visits were a disappointment. The food was only okay. This time we noticed that our glasses were 3/4 full of ice when we finished our margaritas, so we suspect they are trying to cut corners by serving less drink and more ice. One thing we were always able to count on at the Rio was a really good margarita. There are lots of choices for Mexican food in Boulder now, so I'm not sure we'll be back.
- EstablishmentSammVIPDined on 2/8/2014Great restaurant known for their margaritas, tequila selection and energetic ambiance. This place never fails to be a good time no matter if I'm meeting someone for a quick drink, celebrating a birthday or just want some yummy spicy green chili.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time As AlwaysBeep51Dined on 2/8/2014Out for a family dinner - all adult children and friends. Waiter was fun and attentive. Food was very good as usual - just a fun time all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLaurieSDined on 1/17/2014Great restaurant. Great years ago when I went to CU and now I've made my son a devotee great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was almost as goodDandK77Dined on 1/16/2014The food was almost as good as the margaritas. The service was very attentive, even though the place was full.Special Features:
- good mex, tex - mexErwinVIPDined on 1/4/2014good food, good margs, roof is great (in warm weather), good salsa choices.Special Features:
- GreenGeo3DDined on 12/27/2013Nice green chile to smother a burrito I'll have to return for a bowl and a salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Fast Food RestaurantLynnDined on 12/6/2013If you like noise, mediocre food, happening scene, rocket-speed dining, you should choose the Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant in Boulder. When ordering dinner, you can expect to get your food in 3 minutes. Then it's over. Table-turning is name of the game these days. Margaritas and food not extraordinary any more. If your goal is a Boulder "hot spot," this is it. Otherwise, there are many better places to eat and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for meetups with friendsnatbroDined on 12/6/20133rd time I've been here. I loved how potent the margaritas use to be, but this time they seemed real tame...for the price, I want to feel that buzz!! I thought the portion size was just okay for the price and would like beans/rice with my entrée to make it go farther. I was still a bit hungry after my measly burrito. Still, I like this place and the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie fajitas!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013Great grilled veg fajitas - fresh and hot ingredients!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Not Just About the MargaritasDodieDined on 11/3/2013Though the drinks are terrific (try the Big Tex Marg!), our party was delighted with our food. Three thumbs up for the spinach enchiladas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pork Burrito'sMontLorDined on 10/19/2013Great Pork Burrito's smothered in green chile sauce. My favorite here. Margs a great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portionsAllisonDined on 9/21/2013The fajitas for two was a perfect amount for one! Had to ask for a second set up of guac/sour cream etc as the first one (for us to share) was on a plate the size of 4"x4"
- Roof Top View of the Flatirons?!!CarolVIPDined on 9/7/2013An amazing visit to a Boulder classic on Saturday afternoon. It was 90+ degrees, and we really wanted to sit on the roof, but wondered if that was such a good idea in the heat. We got to the top and looked out over the roof at the large water feature, umbrella'd tables, Flatirons views and water mist floating out of tubes all over and under the umbrellas on the tables. The table we chose was amazingly comfortable. We didn't feel wet or hot--worked just like an evaporative cooler should, that mist. The food was fresh mexican, spicy for those who like hot (me), and a large margarita menu. A burrito and two Don Julio margs later, we sat, mouths happy, looking at the beautiful end-of-summer sky and foothills backdrop.Special Features:
- Yummo!willtravel4foodDined on 9/6/2013You will not be disappointed! Everything was very good! So good we ate there 2 nights in a row! Very fresh everything. They make everything down to their tortillas daily. Staff all very friendly and attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great food, but very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2013Not great food, but very good for a "chain"!! Margs are always very good and our server was excellent & very personable!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop dining with a viewMattVIPDined on 9/4/2013Had a great lunch at the newly expanded rooftop bar with a colleague. Found out you can get the made from scratch burritos baked to melt the cheese. Excellent service from the bartender Nathaniel. One of my Boulder favorites for great food and of course the margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO NOISYMelmaryDined on 8/30/2013Thought the food and service was wonderful ! But you need to do something to muffle the noise ! There were only 4 of us and we couldn't hear each other Insulation, or something because the place is awesome but you can't even talk to your friends ! Without yelling so They can here you !I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable atmosphere, althoughpmf1946Dined on 8/26/2013Comfortable atmosphere, although a little noisy. The service was timely and pleasant. The dishes we had were very good and serving sizes were appropriate and prices were reasonable. There is no elevator to the rooftop, so that is not appropriate option for guests with mobility issues.Special Features:
- Recommend, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2013Unless you sit in on the roof, the tables are too close together and it can be very noisy as a result. Also, this trip the service was slow. It was a busy Saturday night, but they should plan on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsBldrfoodiesVIPDined on 8/6/2013Always a fun place in Boulder for Margaritas and good Mexican food.Special Features:
- View is amazinghblivDined on 8/5/2013The food at Rio Grande is quite good, but the view from the rooftop is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKelskybsDined on 8/2/2013The rio is an awesome restaurant! Don't skip the Margs they are well worth the $7! Delicious steak fajitas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Margaritas can't be beat!PattyjoVIPDined on 7/19/2013Great Margaritas. Food was very good and service was fast and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New cook???luvrioDined on 7/19/2013My enchiladas were burnt black on one end. My wife's flour tortilla was doughy and steak inside of it was hard to cut. But this is the first time in many years of eating there. Maybe they were training a new cook(I hope!!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak burrito.JannaehDined on 7/2/2013The steak is marinaded in something delishious. Best experienced in a burrito.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rio has great margaritas andPitaDined on 7/1/2013Rio has great margaritas and good tex-mex foods. They were understaffed when we visited on July 1st which brought down the enjoyment of our dinner party.Special Features:
- family birthdayspiffDined on 6/27/2013Rio Grande did a great job. Everything was setup for our party of 12 when we arrived for lunch. We were celebrating a family birthday. They brought out complimentary ice cream with a candle and sopapillas for dessert to help us celebrate. The entree portions were very generous for the cost. Certainly a very affordable option for the Boulder pearl street area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable is the ticket!!!Fab40Dined on 6/21/2013I am new to OpenTable even though I am a long time Rio diner. OPENTABLE ROCKS!!! I plan on using this serve more often. I had a small group of ladies (women's social group) for Happy Hour and we were able to secure a rooftop table with no problem. We arrived and our table was set and ready to go! This is a FABULOUS service (and the food / margs are always great :)Special Features:
- Dinner for 15VisitingFromColoradoDined on 6/15/2013Had dinner on the roof with my family of 15. Good time, good service, and good marg's and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2013The food was good, the margaritas were ok but not the famous drinks we'd heard such good things about, but the service was abysmal. The waitress never even looked us in the eyes and did not spend more than 10 seconds at our table at a time, even while we were ordering. She didn't check on us except for once, and was rude and aloof and ran off before we could say a full sentence to her. She gave us our receipt with the regular prices on it instead of the happy hour prices (which was the whole reason we went there), and her receipt was under a guy's name - "Grant", which, unless she used her last name or had a boy's name, just seemed suspicious. She wasn't knowledgeable or personable at all; the busboy took better care of us.
- Mexican food in the early eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2013First, I am a native Texan and was weaned on good authentic Mexican food. The food offered at the Rio Grande is some of the most authentic Mexican food that I have found in the North Denver. The service is great and while the indoor dining experience is nice, the outdoor experience either on the roof or the sidewalk along Walnut is perfect int he early to late evenings. I highly recommend the Rio Grande.Special Features:
- Noisy and yummyalliedenverDined on 6/8/2013The rio is one of my favorites. I always have the same thing--because it's so good! smothered burrito with red and green sauce and a manberry margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.