RingSide Fish House - Fox Tower
838 SW Park Ave
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
RingSide Fish House - Fox Tower
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ringsidefishhouse.com/
- Phone: (503) 227-3900
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - 12:00am
Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: David Ezelle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: A perfect stop before the Theater, whether it be on the Big Screen or on the Stage. While there is no live entertainment, many diners praise the ambiance of the restaurant overlooking Director Park.
- Cross Street: SW Taylor
- Public Transit: Located adjacent to the Pioneer Square MAX Station.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Self-Parking is available in the Fox Tower Garage validated at 50% off posted rates. On-street parking is also available at posted rates.
On-site valet parking is available for $7 evenings.
A word from RingSide Fish House - Fox Tower
A contemporary Northwest fish house with a modern accent.Continued
It has been said that "nature writes the menu" and this adage guides the approach of our culinary path from the seasons of fresh fish to the harvest of the produce. We are fortunate to be close to the ocean and walking distance to a premier farmer's market.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
RingSide Fish House - Fox Tower - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
RingSide Fish House - Fox Tower reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (120)fit for foodies (87)notable wine list (65)romantic (63)good for groups (41)scenic view (31)neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (19)great for lunch (16)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The salmon was wonderful~MicmaemDined on 11/22/2014The meal was great and I would return - though I do question the use of "$$" on Open Table as the indication of cost of an average meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionRestatsVIPDined on 11/22/2014We were treated so well that we will continue to go back for the food, the wine and the service. We have gone there before theater, symphony or other events nearby and we have also gone for birthdays and anniversaries. Now we plan to go there just for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014the restaurant was great but we had a very loud party sit right behind us and we could not even talk to each other, will never accept being seated next to a large party again, would rather have gone to another restaurant. the reservation was made over 2 months in advance and there were other tables avail but we were told too busy and could not move usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014We started at the bar for the end of happy hour it was pretty packed in there. The bartender offered us the happy hour menu which was about to end. We ordered the fried oysters which lacked flavor and the calamari was ok. We were then seated at our table where we went straight to dinner I ordered the Wild King Salmon which was over cooked and lacked flavor. She ordered the Crab legs which were small and thin and hard to crack. The biggest disappointment was the dungeness crab mac and cheese which was a very small portion with very little flavor and excitement. We also ordered the mushrooms which were a nice medley that I enjoyed. Our dinner was ok and the staff was very polite and helpful.Special Features:
- First time but not the last!AndreaDined on 11/15/2014This was our first time at the Ringside Fish House, and we were so pleasantly surprised at the high level of quality in the food and service at this wonderful restaurant. I ordered salmon and my husband ordered Prime Rib. We both shared each other's order, and agreed that both were outstanding! A great choice for a special dinner out with friends, or to celebrate a special occasion with family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service, fresh fresh fish!Sophia7Dined on 11/15/2014They are known for fresh fish and that is what they deliver. The oysters were fine too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedCarnivorousWinoDined on 11/9/2014Our experience at the Ringside Fish House was not what we expected. We were led to believe the Fish House would be very comparable to the Ringside Steakhouse uptown. This was not the case the hostess and servers were less than professional, the ambience was missing. The food is the only comparable between the two. The food was wonderful. While we will continue to frequent the Steakhouse we will not return to the Fish House.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014I took my wife there for her birthday because she loves seafood. The restaurant was nice, service was very good, food was OK, but not particularly outstanding and overpriced in my opinion. Our bill with one drink each and tip was approx $150. I expect to have an incredible experience at that price and we did not. It was good but not outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent meal, SUPERB serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Enjoyed our evening completely. From the cocktail to the desert, everything was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rc4occasionDined on 11/4/2014The food and service were excellent, but the onion rings were below par. A very central downtown location and convenient valet parking.Special Features:
- OutstandingRestatsVIPDined on 11/4/2014The fish and the meat were exceptional well prepared and delicious. The wines were also excellent and while it is not inexpensive, we believe we received our money's worth. You won't find a better fish house in Portland with superior service that looks after you.Special Features:
- Best since Couch Street FishouseDeesmalljayDined on 11/2/2014My partner and I were great devoted fans of the Couch Street Fish House, and have never found anything to match it. Ringside Fish House has come the closest. The food is magnificently prepared and served. The staff are friendly and attentive (if a bit overworked) to every detail. I would highly recommend this fine dining restaurant for those "special occasions" when you are willing to pay the price for a fabulous meal. This is definitely one of my favorite Portland eating places!Special Features:
- FabulousDiningOutLoverDined on 11/1/2014Food, service and ambiance were wonderful. Everything was cooked to perfection. Wonderful wine selection and grateful to have had such a wonder Somm. Ryan Mortimer to help in selecting just the right wine to go with everyone's meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donut freakOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2014Had another excellent meal at Ringside Fish House. They pay attention to the fish preparation and do it well. But I keep going back for their warm donuts, a great way to end a meal. Just enough and they come out hot and aromatic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, and location.LennyBandMeDined on 10/31/2014We have been going to the Fish House every few months for a couple of years. The lobster is our favorite. But everything we've had has been excellent. The staff are very friendly and the service is wonderful. The downtown location is perfect for coupling with a movie, show, or shopping. All of this with convenient parking underground (after the half-off the cost is only $3.50). We just keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KingSalmonidDined on 10/31/2014We were greeted warmly by a young staff at the front desk and shown to our table. The table was nicely appointed with ample room. The light level in the room was just right. Nick was our waiter and he was young also. He was earnest and sincere but not so much that we couldn't have some fun with him. His knowledge of the menu and wine list was very good and his pairing suggestions were really enjoyed. The onion soup was simply delicious, the salads crisp and fresh, and the wild king salmon was perfect. We split the cheesecake for dessert and it was just right. A beautiful dining experience.Special Features:
- Before the theater...MrsThompson624Dined on 10/25/2014This was our second time at the Ringside Fish House prior to attending the symphony. The staff is attuned to the events going on downtown so our waiter inquired about theater tickets following our meal and managed the courses to ensure we got out the door on time to make our event. Food was delicious - service impeccable. They even loaned me a pair of reading glasses since I forgot mine at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good change of paceBilboVIPDined on 10/20/2014This is a convenient downtown spot, with a solid offering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CosttgreenDined on 10/19/2014Because of the high prices, this is a special occasion only place but it is worth a visit.Special Features:
- Top marks but for timingSbixbyDined on 10/17/2014All was superb expect that it took a lengthy amount of time for the entrée to be served. Slightly uncomfortable to wait so long and embarrassing as we were hosting out of town family for their first time Portland visit. This restaurant was our suggestion and we may rethink another visit unless we have extended time to linger. Tho I will say, everything else really was wonderful. Kitchen may have been short staffed ... Hopefully that one time only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveDowntheriverDined on 10/15/2014Nice to be in a place where you don't have to shout to be heard. The cut of beef in the Surf & Turf was high quality and perfectly done. The rockfish dish was outstanding. The Ahi Poke was sublime. The raw oysters were fresh and full flavored - as they must be. First time dining there and it exceeded expectations. The local photographs and locally made copper fish sculptures give the place a feeling of uniqueness, even though you're in the middle of downtown Portland. Well done and thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is "KING"CricketPopsDined on 10/13/2014While all the elements for fine dining are present at the Fish House, it is clearly "service" that makes any guest return. Great ambiance with a view of the downtown hustle but it was our servers that encouraged us to plan a return visit. From the doorman, your hostess' greeting and multiple servers, it's obvious that service is the priority. This is not to say that you can falter in any of the other expectations. Food quality, preparation and innovation are a "must" just to stay in the game. Even the support staff were attentive and cordial. Quick to remove an empty plate or fill up your glass of water but it was out server with her exchange on food, wine and culture that hit the mark. I only hope that she is the typical dining experience.Special Features:
- Overpriced and overratedMatildeDined on 10/11/2014The special pear salad was excellent. I had to send the Caesar back as they had a faux anchovy. The swordfish was not all that tasty for the price. I have had much better in the past. I would recommend it with reservations as it has a good location ie near the theatrical venues and if you want to eat close to them you have to choose some restaurant. I judge mostly on the taste of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great salmonannabananaVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our waiter was great. The food was delicious. The kitchen seemed slow, but we weren't in any hurry. We're on vacation. Had some yummy oysters - 3 different varieties. The donuts and ice cream trio was a perfect dessert.Special Features:
- CarlDined on 10/10/2014Waiter had good knowledge of the menu and the meals were presented well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold steakPDXgolfDined on 10/8/2014Ordered the filet minon and it was served cold - seriously had to send the dinner back. I know thia is a dish house, but being part of the Ringside name - I expected WAY more. Disappointed.
- Great anniversary celebrationGZzzzVIPDined on 10/7/2014We chose RingSide to celebrate our anniversary and were well cared for. The staff had a wonderful little greeting card for us at the table. Our meal from start to finish was excellent & we thoroughly enjoyed every part of the evening. Thanks for making it so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceVetdad1Dined on 10/5/2014Our party of five was seated right away and everyone's drink selections accomodated. Appetizers included the crab cakes, fresh oysters and the lobster soup. The fresh crusty bread was delightful. Entrees included plank wild caught salmon, surf and turf and a seafood pasta. Everyone raved about the food which was freely shared. Conversation was never compromised by noise. All in all, a delightful experience. If you're visiting Portland, make sure to include this restaurant in your travel plans.Special Features:
- DonUP2SKIDined on 9/30/2014The fish, steaks, crab and lobster ... amazing!! The server knew exactly how to handle our old vintage wines without stirring up a bunch of sediment. It was a lot of fun. BTW The onion rings are the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho humfoodiefamilyVIPDined on 9/28/2014We were expecting great food and service, as we have come to expect from Ringside Steakhouse. Sadly, the food was mediocre and the kitchen got backed up so we waited forever for our entrees. Waiter did not come to check in with us during the 45 minutes between salad and entree. We had a good group and good conversation, but certainly wondered what was taking so long. Swordfish and prawns all tasted like they were previously frozen and not very fresh, kind of chewy which is not a good quality for seafood in this price range. Desserts were pretty good, coffee was extremely bitter and almost undrinkable.Special Features:
- Real DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/27/2014Do you look for places that still have real dining? Ringside has it down pat. We enjoyed the excellent service and food. Be sure to chat with your server about what you want. When I said no I didn't want to see a dessert menu, I wanted to order from it, I got the appropriate reaction. Don't miss their hot donuts. (But you may ask them to go easy on the dipping sugar.)Special Features:
- Classic menuTShlaesDined on 9/26/2014A great place to celebrate a special occasion or for a romantic dinner. Service is good and so is the menu. Fairly typical menu for a steak and seafood place. Well prepared. Price are expensive but they do offer an early bird special 3 course for $38.00. Good size portions and meat is perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- Perfect again and againMJWHEARTSDined on 9/26/2014Meeting a girlfriend there before a theater performance, I was a bit late but found my friend enjoying a glass of champagne at a window seat overlooking Director Park. I wasn't seated but a couple of minutes when our waiter, Ed, came for my drink order. With a large selection of good vodkas, getting an excellent martini was no problem. I had the halibut and my friend had one of the several salmon dishes offered that night. Both were elegantly prepared and absolutely delicious. Beautiful surroundings, nice view, excellent food and superior service. Oh, yes. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodJohnDoughVIPDined on 9/25/2014Nice and varied menu selection, something for everyone. Friendly and helpful staff. Fresh fish can be prepared simply if desired. Very cool feature! Popular place but noise level was not too bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014Our family was happy to go here as it was one of our favorites for special occasions. Service & food were terrible. Part of our party drank wine &they were attended to. However, the others that were not drinking alcohol had to ask for refills for water/coffee. The food was the worst I have had in a long time. My filet mignon was black when it arrived with a slab of potatoes on side-bad presentation. Others had steak & salmon all of which had charcoal covered on outside. All we could taste was charcoal like at a amateur's barbecue! I did complain to the manager. He brought me a glass of sparkling wine but was not observant as I don't drink&had empty coffee cup in front of me! Took 3 requests to get Bill- took 30 mins! Just wanted to go home!
- Consistently MarvelousPharmDukVIPDined on 9/21/2014I am an avid patron of Ringside Fish House. It's not often that one can find a restaurant that consistently pleases the palate; tantalizes the taste buds. Over the past 10 or so years dining at the Fish House, I always leave in anticipation of my next visit. As trite as it may sound, I always find myself eating very slowly savoring each morsel that crosses my palate, regretting the last bite, in realization this marvelous experience is once again coming to a close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic fish houseYummyVIPDined on 9/20/2014We got a gift certificate and so we went. It was a surprisingly great experience. The food was wonderful and the service was top notch. We don't frequent classic steak or fish houses much any more but this was a reminder as to why it's a classic.Special Features:
- Always the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014I've never had any disappointments here, everything is fantastic: cocktails, wine, seafood, rings, steaks, sides (we don't eat dessert) and the service is top notch. The view of Director's square really adds to the ambiance. Will be back, again and again.Special Features:
- Not as good as usualShaneDined on 9/20/2014Was disappointed with my entree Saturday night . Had seared rate ahi tuna. 4 medallions weren't all that big, one of the pieces was mushy, and it was served on a broth which I've never seen before and seems odd. Don't mind paying that kind of money for a fancy dinner but I expect it to be flawless when I do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable event, average farePortlandlocalDined on 9/20/2014The ambiance was great, but the prime rib was very ordinary. They brought out the wrong dessert. Overall, we enjoyed the evening, but not worth the price.