1115 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riffsboulder.com/
- Phone: 3034406699x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week:
Cocktail Hour: 3-6
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: John Platt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Cocktail Hour daily from 3-6. Discounted food menu, $3 draft beers, $4 well cocktails, and 1/3 off all wine.
A word from Riffs
Riffs, Urban Fare. A Boulder foodbar featuring moderately priced, satisfying appetizer portions of Chef John Platt’s artfully prepared diverse cuisine. Carefully chosen beverages. Genuine hospitality. Comfortable social setting. A thoughtful Boulder urban dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Riffs - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Riffs reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (47)great for outdoor dining (46)special occasion (28)great for lunch (24)hot spot (23)romantic (20)good for groups (19)notable wine list (12)scenic view (9)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- TanyaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014This is my second or third time going to Riffs and it was enjoyable as always. I still get a little confused with the amount of different menus, but it seemed a bit more under control. The food was great, especially the desserts.Special Features:
- We Love RiffsandersonDined on 10/13/2014Riffs is easily our favorite restaurant in Boulder. The food is creative, perfectly fresh, well-portioned, and inspired. The menu changes seasonally and it's obvious that much care and thought was involved with each offering. Great for a full blown celebration or holiday dinner, don't miss the desserts, or a spur of the moment burger. Service is excellent, the servers have been well trained and know the menu! The best combination of healthy and delicious.Special Features:
- Well ManagedMickeyDined on 10/3/2014We sat near the kitchen so we were able to watch how they control quality. One person plates every dish and he is particular. The wait staff is well trained and efficient. The food was perfect...it's to a huge place which really allows the to have single point quality control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014Simple and enjoyable. The service was great and the food was fantastic. Great mixed drinks and unique appetizers. Overall a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/1/2014Three of us each ordered different appetizers and full entress. Everything was delicious, but the portions for each were somewhat small, especially for the price. The flourless chocolate cake for dessert was a winner too.Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsNkosiDined on 9/28/2014Visiting our daughter, a student at CU, on Sunday evening for an early dinner. The food was fresh with local specials as well as the standard menu and well prepared. Between the 3 of us we ordered a miso bowl, flash cooked brusselsprouts, tomato curry soup and green pea hummus followed by a kale salad, cedar plank organic salmon and grilled duroc pork loin. We followed this with a flourless chocolate cake, which was excellent - very light, and the special, Swiss roll with ice cream (a little dry). Prices were fair for the quality and variation. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything was perfectly with presently and seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food and CocktailsKrystalDined on 9/22/2014The food is amazing! They have a great happy hour, delicious entrees and the dessert was so good! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Wowed Again!NorthwestFoodieDined on 9/13/2014The food at Riff's is awesome. Our server was a bit new, so we understood timing wasn't quite coordinated yet. We've eaten there many times now and the food is always consistently good. We'll be back!Special Features:
- eventhopoorDined on 9/10/2014Great menu, great quality of leek potato soup with crab etc, lovely grilled peach salad and watermelon salad Perfect proportions. Attentive, polite, friendly waiter Too noisy.....rude people at larger, nearby table.....will return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but service could be improvedcaopolicanDined on 9/6/2014We had a dinner with friends and had made a reservation for a Saturday night. We could spontaneously change the table from inside to outside which was very nice due to a late summer warm evening. The location is great, we sat basically in Boulder's very nice pedestrian area, could watch street artists and people. Food was really nice, each item with a special twist and all very tasty. Prices are moderate - given the quality. Optically, as well, the food was well prepared. The only slight disappointment was the service: the waiter didn't have the right timing, either he was too quick (e.g. entrées were served while we were still not finished with our starters) or too slow. And his recommendations were unspecific. He could have earned more...Special Features:
- Great experienceLukaleekaDined on 8/31/2014We really enjoyed our experience. We would have to say the entrees were our least favorite part of the meal. The appetizer(mussels), salads, and dessert were much more flavorful.
- always goodlovenola0217Dined on 8/22/2014We seem to always make time to dine at Riffs when we visit child at school. Once again, the food was great. Love the variety of items on the menu and the lighter options.Special Features:
- MuchADODined on 8/20/2014Small plate options are great. We love the Ahi tostada to share.Special Features:
- Good not greatEmptyNestDinersDined on 8/19/2014I enjoyed the very comfortable, casual feel of this place -- get a table outside or near the big glass windows in front so you can people watch on Pearl Street. Curry mussels and grilled avocado with crab were big hits as appys, cucumber soup was only so-so. Rock shrimp risotto was kind of bland, chicken penne vodka was a little underseasoned, chipotle shrimp were good but you only got three medium sized shrimp -- portion size in general was quite small. Service was pleasant but a little slow. I'd try other places on Pearl Street before coming back here.
- good food, as alwayslocavoreDined on 8/19/2014Just enjoyed yet another meal at Riff's. Love their menu -- something for everyone! This time was noisier than usual (considering we arrived at 5:45pm), but not unpleasantly so.Special Features:
- Simply delicious!SusiqVIPDined on 8/18/2014The Brussels sprouts starter was amazing (I know it's odd since I'm writing about Brussels sprouts but ....OMG!) everything else we had was great and the gnocchi was superb! Light and fluffy not heavy and dense. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InnovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Fabulous find in Boulder. Our waiter Diego was attentive and knowledgable. The menu is not extensive, but interesting and innovative. I will definitely return next time I am in Boulder.Special Features:
- Poor quality foodJakeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was over cooked. service was great and the restaurant had great atmosphere very disappointing.Special Features:
- fantastic!24HourHappyHourDined on 8/14/2014Least pretentious, best food in Boulder. Period. Great service, too!Special Features:
- Good!suzyqVIPDined on 8/1/2014Food is always good, sometimes portions are small. Ordered wine & pour was on the small side. Server brought a little extra. When bill came, we were overcharged on wine price, didn't bother to complain.Special Features:
- Eat here every time we visit!GoTribeDined on 7/31/2014The food and service here is great! I can't visit Boulder without stopping in at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wide variety of foodsMattDined on 7/30/2014Good choice if you have a mixed group of vegetarians and omnivores. Lots of selections and can mix and match plates as you like, all of which were very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014My friend and I ate here for my birthday and had 2 completely different meals (and experiences), He started with the guacamole appetizer which he was moaning over, while my brussel sprouts were just average. My beet salad was Ok but I would not get it again. He loved his cold cucumber soup. My plank seared salmon was really tasteless and a bit overdone. They switched it out for a pesto grilled chicken which was ok but not memorable. My companion got the pork loin shoulder and almost ate the plate. . Our server was efficient but really should not be in a job that requires interaction with the public as this was not his forte. Overall, would not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/27/2014A nice choice for a distinctive and well-prepared casual meal. Opt for a seat on the front porch, weather permitting or toward the front to enjoy always-entertaining street scene.
- Excellent With Wonderful FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014The preparation and flavors were great for soup (cucumber avocado), salad (grilled radicchio), entrees (Ono, and Scallops) and deserts (peach cobbler, and brownie).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, interesting foodABMFMDined on 7/26/2014Glad we ate outside because the inside seemed too warm. The crust on the peach cobbler was doughy and uncooked underneath. Kale salad too salty. Planked salmon - perfect. Zucchini with the chicken was swimming in too much liquid (-would have preferred lightly grilled and put off to the side). Chicken was great. Burger - perfect. Carrot salad - wonderful combination. Excellent service. -Very nice dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!justmeVIPDined on 7/25/2014I have been to Riff's for lunch, happy hour and dinner and have always had a great experience. The service staff is friendly and accommodating and the food always tasty.Special Features:
- Delightful menu and cocktailsWillTDined on 7/22/2014Great selection on the drinks and food menu. I got a very nice fish dish which had tons of flavor, although the fish was a little over cooked (a bit dry). It was no problem a sip of white wine couldn't solve (I had a good Italian P.G. which they offered by the glass). Small plates are famous and I can see why - we had two and both were fantastic! I love Riffs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Fantastic food one of the best meals in Boulder do not miss! Great happy hour too 40% off all bottles of wine great small plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourjkoneDined on 7/18/2014We met another couple for Happy Hour last Friday and really enjoyed the Happy Hour food menu. Everything was delicious, and we also ordered items of the regular menu. We LOVED the brussels sprouts dish and the fried zucchini, and the wine was delicious. We also sampled the peach cobbler desert and it was off-the-charts yummy. A fantastic Happy Hour value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place, but...locavoreDined on 7/11/2014We love Riff's - we've been here numerous times and have always had wonderful food and service. The reason I gave it a lower rating this time is that we happened to be seated next to a woman with a foul-fragranced electronic cigarette. We were inside by the window, which was open, and she was right on the other side. Our great server (whom we have had many times) was willing to help by shutting the window when I said that I love fresh air, but this air was not. However, by then I had a headache from the vapors of the customer who was exhaling within a couple feet from us. Management needs to make a policy decision here -- since "smoking" isn't allowed on Pearl Street, maybe they could extend that to vaping at their dining tables.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableJankossVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a very enjoyable lunch in this very cute small restaurant. We sat inside near the back so we wouldn't be too hot on a warm summer day, the service was excellent and our food choices were very good,Special Features:
- No complaints - all goodLascarcoDined on 7/10/2014Went to Riffs to meet a business associate. Food was excellent, nice wine selections, good atmosphere. We had a very leisurely meal, partly because the main course took a long time to arrive, maybe an hour. If in a hurry, I would have rated the service a little lower, but this time, since we had lots to catch up on, I appreciated the slow pace. Our waiter also apologized for the wait, and brought us an unsolicited complimentary appetizer as a concession. One note is that if you aren't familiar with the area, you need to park a little ways away at the garage or lot off spruce. The restaurant is in the walking mall part of Pearl Street just east of Broadway, on the north side of the mall, sort of opposite of Old Chicago Pizza.Special Features:
- Totally wonderfuljbzrascalDined on 7/9/2014Everything on the menu looks amazing, and we loved what we ate (grilled avocado, Brussels sprouts, beet salad with salmon). Great service and totally delightfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Our DinnereyeforgoodfoodDined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious and high quality. The portions were small so we would get an appetizer next time. Will go back the next time we are in Boulder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- higher end boulder diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014we were just in Boulder a few days but so happy we found this restaurant, more high end feeling than some of the other local places, had a great meal, good serviceSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerNorthwestFoodieDined on 6/30/2014We adventured out of our typical Boulder "fancy restaurants' for our 29th anniversary. We weren't disappointed. Riffs has a great atmosphere with friendly and responsive servers. But the food was the MAIN ATTRACTION. We had oysters with scrambled eggs/bacon, arugula salad, mussels in a fennel/caper sauce and hanger steak with fries fried in duck fat. Everything was seasoned creatively and satisfied the "foodie" in us. Desserts were also not 2nd rate - the chocolate cake and limoncello cake were both awesome. Definitely would recommend to anyone looking for a well thought out menu using farm to table philosophy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedbbc1VIPDined on 6/28/2014We have been here six times. The last two have not lived up to previous quality. Lack of attention to detail is the main problem. The food lacked its usual zest
- Gnocchi TDFHappydinerDined on 6/28/2014The Yukon gold gnocchi with Gazel Dell shrooms were enough to keep me happy --light, fluffy, delicious-- but everything else was first rate too. We enjoyed the beet salad and salmon croquettes too, and then the desserts!!! Our friends raved about the plank salmon. We sat outside enjoying the world go by(WAY too loud inside!!). We love Riffs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.