Rick's Cafe Boatyard
4050 Dandy Trail
Indianapolis, IN 46254Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Rick's Cafe Boatyard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rickscafeboatyard.com/
- Phone: 3172909300x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm;
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Monday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 11pm; bar menu until midnight
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11pm; bar menu until midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mike Hibbeln
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rick's Cafe Boatyard
Rick's Cafe Boatyard is a waterfront restaurant offering its guests a panoramic view of Eagle Creek Reservoir in Indianapolis. Rick's offers ample but intimate seating both inside and out; as well as an extensive menu of fresh hand prepared meals offered daily. Rick's Cafe Boatyard offers it's guests lunch, dinner and a complete banquet facility. Their guests dine inside a beautiful, wide-open, high-ceiling dining room, or outside with a breathtaking view of the water.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rick's Cafe Boatyard - Best Restaurants in Pike Township ›
Rick's Cafe Boatyard reviews from OpenTable diners
387 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (331)great for outdoor dining (311)special occasion (198)good for groups (161)romantic (128)great for lunch (100)vibrant bar scene (93)neighborhood gem (90)hot spot (73)great for brunch (60)kid-friendly (57)fit for foodies (53)late-night find (39)notable wine list (19)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Overall, the evening was enjoyable and the food was great. Unfortunately, the restaurant was very busy and that seemed to cause signficant delay in our service (and poor service once we were we served). The waiter said he was assigned our table and all of his other tables were on the other side of the restaurant. I believe that contributed to the poor service.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Rick's in Indianpolis is at a great location, has great food and great view. Definitely recommend outdoor seating (weather permitting).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Nice place, romantic with very good food, in same places outside too noisy. But nice to enjoy a nice moment, with music and time to enjoy the landscape.Special Features:
- Odd mixtureJimNCherDined on 8/30/2014The ambiance and location of Rick's is great and unique in Indy. Oddly the non-seafood dishes were fine, while the blackened Florida grouper lost its flavor in the vast shrimp etouffee which was more like a gumbo, and the crab stuffed mushrooms just had too much going on to taste the crab. But the baked goat cheese was splendid, the key lime pie thrived despite a complicated recipe, and the cajun catfish was quite good. I am biased, having grown up on the eastern shore with simple fresh seafood. We will try Rick's again and I will order simpler seafood preparationsSpecial Features:
- Great for a date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We had the goat cheese appetizer, it was a little bland, but our house salads, tilapia and shrimp dinner, and blueberry cheesecake were excellent. We had a perfect night out on the deck, no better view on the westside.Special Features:
- Good find in IndyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Great food selection and ambiance! The service was horrific so be prepared to not be wowed. If you can handle the trade off, you'll manage to enjoy your time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Took my wife out for date night. Great experience. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful night for diningdanditkaDined on 8/29/2014We initially were seated at a table where two of us had our backs to the water. We asked the waiter if we could get a table where all could see the water and they found us a table with a great view for all. Our service was good and so was the food. it was a perfect night to dine out on the deck with a cool breeze keeping us refreshed. Everyone enjoyed their meal and are looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening with friendsPamelaDined on 8/29/2014We had not seen our friends for several months so had lots of catching up to do. Started with drinks at the outside bar, then moved to an outdoor table for dinner. Calamari was the best I've eaten. We all had seafood as entrée. Everything was delicious. Key lime pie was to die for. We sat and talked for quite a while, never feeling rushed. Our waitress gave us just enough attention. Overall, a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceBuzzardDined on 8/28/2014We returned to Rick's for the first time in 12 years and were happy to find the menu, food and service are still just as good as we remembered them. We dined early to avoid the crowd and noise levels. Everyone was friendly and professional, except the hostess, who evidently felt compelled to grab two menus and just start walking toward the dining room without saying a word to us. We decided to follow her just in case she assumed we would. When she reached our table, she threw the menus on it and walked away, again without uttering a word. Apparently she feels that being young, attractive and blond gives her that right. I'm surprised, as successful as Rick is, that he would not realize how detrimental to business such behavior can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014This was a dinner party of four. Two had been to Rick's before. First time for myself and the other person. We all agreed that it was a great experience. The food, the view, the live music, the wait staff, the presentation; everything was just perfect. It was my 60th birthday and I had a great evening!Special Features:
- rickytickytavyDined on 8/26/2014We tried several items that we hadn't tried before, and we were very pleased with the outcome, all were excellent.Special Features:
- great place to celebrateGood2GoDined on 8/23/2014Easy access - fly into Eagle Creek airpark (KEYE) and walk across road (if you don't fly, easy to get to by auto, also)... Good view of Eagle Creek Reservoir off deck - perfect spot to celebrate anniversary or other occasion. Sea scallops entre and calamari appetizer are my favorites, though have not had bad meal... It's an anniversary tradition for us...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Rick's BoatyardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We made a reservation through the web based reservation service for Saturday, Aug. 23. Our arrival coincided with a strong storm moving through Indianapolis, which Rick's Boatyard handled very well. We were especially impressed that shuttles were available to transport us to and from our car (not a great distance, but appreciated due to the heavy rainfall). We ate inside (so missed having a great view - which was understandable due to the storm). Food was good and the service was great. Since everyone was eating inside, the noise level was greater than what it otherwise would have been- but it was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Views, Fit 4 ChicagoanKimChgoMtgDined on 8/23/2014We visited Rick's Cafe Boatyard while brining our daughter down to Indi for college. My husband had fond memories of the restaurant from 20 years ago, however as we've grown & live in Chicago, one tends to become a "food snob"! Rick's Cafe however did not dissapoint -- we had a great goat cheese appetizer, the homemade bread & butter was outstanding & the fish entre's that we got were very good too. The ambience of the lake & dock could not be beat. Would definately go back & recommend!Special Features:
- It was OkaytouristdinerDined on 8/21/2014Rick's was an alright restaurant for a late night, semi-romantic dinner. We were visiting from out of town and the idea of a restaurant with live jazz on a lake sounded great. The restaurant was surprisingly empty for a Thursday evening and our hostess seemed annoyed that we arrived for a 9 o'clock dinner, despite having reservations. 2 different waiters attempted to take drink orders and neither communicated with the other about what was going on. The food was okay - not enough seasoning, my potatoes were cold despite the plate being flaming hot. The atmosphere was strange - waiters in shorts and t-shirts with dim lighting, light music, and candles on the table. Our waiter was not particularly attentive.Special Features:
- Great evening on a cool nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Rick's has been the best spot for outdoor dining this summer. Sunset last night was amazing. Only complaint ever about Rick's would be the high price of the food (appetizers are very expensive), but you probably would never be able to get a seat if it was cheaper.Special Features:
- Charming, lake viewIndy21palDined on 8/19/2014The experience was good all around; a nice server, excellent food and nautical atmosphere for our girl's night out. We each had something different and everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014great ambience for water lovers! celebrated a birthday with a friend who said it made her think of Florida-her favorite place!Special Features:
- Beautiful view, great food.mynewfavorite1Dined on 8/17/2014Beautiful view, great food. We sat outside on a dreary day, but the patio is covered, so no problems. It felt like being on vacation!Special Features:
- Good food but not quite worth ityummyshrimpDined on 8/16/2014We sat outside, the view wad nice but the bugs were very annoying. I saw people at other tables swatting at them, too. The waiter was not very knowledgeable about the menu and was helpful in answering questions. My husband and I shared the sampler appetizer and had lobster tail and salmon for our entrees. The good was very good, although nothing really stood out for me. The table next to us was extremely loud and annoying. Had it not been for them we would have stayed for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodDeweyDined on 8/16/2014Loved the steak and potatoes. Done to my taste. Great server. Beautiful view.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I came to ricks for a anniversary and I sat on the deck, it was perfect me and my girlfriend, we had a great time. The food was outstanding, the service was very kind and helpful, and the atmosphere was wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Spot for Informal Night OutGoIlliniDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time at our annual summer get-together at Rick's Boatyard. Excellent restaurant pick for Illini alums from Cincinnati, Oxford, Carmel, Indy and Champaign, IL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What I rememberedIndyadrienneDined on 8/16/2014While this is a good place to sit outside for a drink (because the views are nice), it's not the best place to dine in Indy. The outside tables are old, worn, and need to be replaced. The food is so so at best.Special Features:
- great food, OK servicework4lifeDined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing but our service was a bit on the poor side. Our waitress was not friendly and getting a refill was like pulling teeth. It was 2:00p and not very busy. I would hate to imagine what the service is like on a Friday or Saturday night. A bit overpriced too. All in all the location is what keeps most people coming back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!winegirl12Dined on 8/16/2014Met some out of town friends for lunch. Arrived early for our reservation and was seated as soon as possible. Service and food were outstanding! My guests were very happy with the location, quite convenient for their travelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Outdoor view and service was excellent. Bread, house salad, and seafood chowder soup was good. Teriyaki chicken was burnt and horrible. My wife ate 1/2 of her 3 filets. I brought it home and tried to eat it for lunch the following day but ended up throwing it away. All you could taste was burntness. My breaded catfish filets were disappointing as well. Cracker Barrel serves better catfish. With all that being said, it will be a while before we go back to Rick's.Special Features:
- Throw the budget out the window !IndynanaDined on 8/15/2014The seafood was fresh and beautifully prepared! We Enjoyed the view of the sailboats as the sun set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingScardy94Dined on 8/15/2014This place is simply amazing. I took my then girlfriend there Friday the 15th for what she thought was just a dinner. The food was amazing, the view was glorious, and the atmosphere was great. After the good we went down by the gazebo and reminisced over the last two years, while I had two friends hiding in the bushes taking pictures. I popped the question and she said yes! Amazing place for any adventure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Thanks for making a surprise 60th party a great event. The whole process reservations, wait staff, menu/food and even the cooperating weather all made for a wonderful dining experience for us. Thanks!Special Features:
- RogerDined on 8/14/2014Had a reservation and got seated immediately. The server was a little different. The girl wattresses seemed friendler, but we did not have them. Food was excellent along with the view and everything. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food.BelovedDined on 8/14/2014Good service! Quickest I've ever been served my food. My friends and I really enjoyed our time there. Best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Of My Favsfoodie2VIPDined on 8/13/2014Never lets me down. MY guest always enjoy. Had the crab cake sandwich and boy was it good!Special Features:
- DisappointedfoodandwhiskeyloverDined on 8/10/2014We went to Rick's expecting a great dinner to celebrate our first anniversary. We ended up with lousy service. The waitress was consistently slow to get to us and also messed up our order. She did give us free dessert which we appreciated. The food was decent but nothing to write home about. The view however was very romantic and relaxing. For the price we paid, we expected much more but would be willing to give it another try sometime in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great product, service needs helpSteveDined on 8/10/2014Got the Surf and turf and it was great. Our server dropped the food asked if everything looked good and we never saw her again. I had to get another server to get her 45 minutes later to get our bill and she was bothered by that. When I have had dinner inside the service was great, out on the deck needs help.Special Features:
- Great FindfinickydinerDined on 8/10/2014I had not heard of Rick's Cafe Boatyard, but asked for Speedway restaurants. What a great restaurant to accidentally stumble upon. My sister and I met an old college room mate I had not seen in a decade. We were able to sit outside (though inside looked very comfortable too). The view of the water and boats made me feel on vacation. All of us were very pleased with our service as our waitress checked on us frequently (refilling our drinks and removing dishes). We received a delicious small bread loaf before our meal. Yum. The view was gorgeous. My sis & friend chose Eggs over Ireland from the Brunch menu. Loved it. I chose grilled tenderloin w/ fries. Loved it. This is our new meeting place.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 8/9/2014They were very accommodating. Originally, the reservation was for 8:30 PM via OT. After I made the reservation, my party wanted to eat earlier. I called and was able to come in earlier. We were seated outside overlooking the water. The wait staff was great, the food arrived expeditiously and everything was scrumptious. I have been there many times and have had similar experience. A place I can count on for excellent food and service. My company, one of the persons in the party was from Phoenix, really enjoyed the evening there. We were able to have a great visit with full enjoyment of what Rick's Café Boatyard has to offer.Special Features:
- A Must See!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Rick's was amazing. The food was great, my drink was made perfectly, and the views as the sun was setting were beautiful. The parking lot was almost full but the have a golf cart "taxi" to bring you to the front door to avoid the walking. My only complaint is the way the female servers were dressed. The building, the ambiance, the food choices and price make this restaurant on the nicer end, but the waitresses were dressed in booty shorts (black spandex) and shirts with their bras hanging out. Their attire just didn't match that of the customers and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDining123Dined on 8/9/2014Awesome deck to look out on. Wonderful food. Would to suggest going when dressed up and sun on you on the deck. Very hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.