Rick's Cafe Boatyard
4050 Dandy Trail
Indianapolis, IN 46254Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Rick's Cafe Boatyard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rickscafeboatyard.com/
- Phone: 3172909300x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm;
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Monday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 11pm; bar menu until midnight
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11pm; bar menu until midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mike Hibbeln
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rick's Cafe Boatyard
Rick's Cafe Boatyard is a waterfront restaurant offering its guests a panoramic view of Eagle Creek Reservoir in Indianapolis. Rick's offers ample but intimate seating both inside and out; as well as an extensive menu of fresh hand prepared meals offered daily. Rick's Cafe Boatyard offers it's guests lunch, dinner and a complete banquet facility. Their guests dine inside a beautiful, wide-open, high-ceiling dining room, or outside with a breathtaking view of the water.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rick's Cafe Boatyard - Best Restaurants in Pike Township ›
Rick's Cafe Boatyard reviews from OpenTable diners
376 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (324)great for outdoor dining (303)special occasion (196)good for groups (156)romantic (130)great for lunch (99)neighborhood gem (88)vibrant bar scene (87)hot spot (74)fit for foodies (61)great for brunch (52)kid-friendly (45)late-night find (37)notable wine list (20)Show More
- Rick's had ProblemsMichaelX152Dined on 9/20/2014Our waitress forgot that we existed and it took an hour for us to be served when tables around us were seated, got drinks, had their entree served and left before we got refils. Once we got our dinners, the food was fantastic as it always is. I asked for the manager to voice my concern for the very poor service. Mike, the manager, was very friendy and understanding. Rick's is a fabulous estalishment and even though our service was terrible, the food was great and we'll be back.Special Features:
- excellent in all aspectsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014There were four of us in the party, each ordering diferently, and frankly we all left planning to try the other three entrees in the near future. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This was our first time visiting Ricks. We were taking out another couple and wanted a new experience. I think we will definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over PricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Small portions, food was nothing special and it was WAY overpriced. I would reccomend for cocktails and an apptetizer but save your money on there dinner.Special Features:
- Glad we went to Rick'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We ate outside. Pleasantly surprised the heaters worked so well. View was wonderful. Bugs bad for about 1.5 hours and sun in eyes of guests facing west. Food very good and we could hear each other and yet still enjoy the live band. 091714Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth time here1957BornMarriedCoupleDined on 9/16/2014We love your restaurant. The outdoor dining, view, ambiance and overall excellence are what attract us. The atmosphere is one of excellence, without being haughty. The service might be better. It seems those who work there are having to cover more tables than what would allow them to provide excellent service. They appear to have to be hustling to get to other tables, without being able to get back to our table to listen with any intentness as to how we are actually doing. We have loved the music in the past. Could hardly hear it Tuesday night 9/16/14.Special Features:
- CookyoDined on 9/14/2014Once again a great dinner and beautiful view. Never Disappoints.Special Features:
- 2nd visit was a dudJLR53Dined on 9/13/2014We were placed at a table stuffed by the door to the deck with constant flow of traffic. The service was very slow and in attentive. The food was disappointing. My entree was supposed to have udon noodles, but had ordinary spaghetti instead.
- Rick's 9/13/2014SkiiDined on 9/13/2014The Saturday night we went to Rick's, it was very busy when we arrived, but we had a reservation and were seated immediately. The service was slower than a tortoise pulling a boulder. Once we were seated it was 20 minutes before any staff came to our table. Once our drink orders were in, it was another 20 minutes before we got them. The waiter said he would be right back to take our orders once he brought the drinks, but he disappeared and it took him another solid 10 minutes to return. The apps and food were outstanding and delicious and somewhat offset the annoyance of the sloooooow service. Overall I would say that I will go back, though if this kind of service is encountered again, there won't be a third return trip.Special Features:
- neglectful serviceserverallyDined on 9/13/2014The first time I went there was during lunch with one other person, the service was a bit slow but everything else was great. I visited the other night however, with 7family members, this time, this visit was far less appealing. Had reservations yet waited 10minutes at least for our table, that's fine. However, once we were sat we didnt see our server for 10-15 minutes, she took our drink orders, it took about another 10minutes to receive the nonalcoholic drinks (15min for alcohol), by the time the drinks got there we were more than ready to order. After ordering it was 20minutes for appetizers and over an hour for entrees! We saw our server only one time once the meal was served, all the tables around seemed to have the same service. AwfulSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014food was great and service is usually good....left something to be desired this night...took 20 minutes for anyone to come over, then we were told our waiter was too busy and the bar girl who had no idea what she was doing took our order. we appreciated her trying to help but was not a great experience....the food and atmosphere was great though as usualSpecial Features:
- Service Issuesjmiller6148VIPDined on 9/13/2014Once again, we received terrible service. I think it must be the norm for this restaurant. Food was good, service horrible again and again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Food was overpriced and lacked flavor. The service was slow and not good. The view is nice, but that's all this place has going for it.Special Features:
- cussingcook1Dined on 9/12/2014If I am in Indianapolis I try to go hear for lunch or supper. I love the food, the service, and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great - Service so soFormerServerDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed the calamari and crabcake sandwich very much. The glass of wine I ordered never arrived and when I told the waitress to 86 it, she said, "oh okay, I never rang it in anyway." Well of course she didn't. Otherwise I might have actually received it. She said it as if I'd changed my mind instead of what really happened, which was she neglected to ring it and bring it. With a client so I didn't want to make a fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden secretMattDined on 9/6/2014I think this is the best little hidden secret in Indianapolis. Food and service was great. It feels like you are on vacationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6 for Sat. Dinnernipper51Dined on 9/6/2014We ordered appetizers and main courses. The appetizers came out at same time as main courses. Server said he could put main courses on hot plate until we ate appetizers. That would have ruined the main courses, we want fresh food, nothing off a hot plate. Pork chop under cooked, fish over cooked. Very disappointed with this visit.Special Features:
- Great scenery fair foodWhispine2Dined on 9/6/2014Great venue for a dinner or lunch with friends and family. The food quality was fair and service of each course comes too quickly. We had barely touched our salads when the main course came. My wife's trout was fair and my filet mignon, while ordered medium rare was very rare. Appetizers of crab cakes and shrimp cocktail were very good but overall meal was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BburgDebDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful, per usual! Recommend to everyone! Great outdoor dining and the food and service great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodtimeTable42Dined on 9/5/2014Great neighborhood destination. After a hard week at work or a day on the water,an aawesome place to relax and enjoy a great meal. Also fun place to drop UN for a nightcap and desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visitMattRDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I visited once before and our experience was excellent! We went back about a month later, did the exact same thing, made a reservation, ordered the exact same food, and sat outside in the same area. Our experience was much different the second time. The food we ordered wasn't good tasting like the first time. My guess is because it was a little busier the cooks didn't pay as much attention. Our waiter didn't check on us as often (about ever 15 min). It took 1 hour to get our food, and when we asked for a box to go, our waiter threw out our food. We were very disappointed the 2nd visit, and I would recommend if you go, try to pick a time that it isn't busy, so you get more attention, faster food, and higher quality food.Special Features:
- Great local findKAV13Dined on 9/5/2014Rick's Boatyard is one of the best local resturants in the Indy area, especially Spring to Fall. The seafood selection is on par and their outdoor seating is like nothing else you'll find near the city! It can get a bit noisy on the deck, but I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Dinner SpotHoosierboyDined on 9/4/2014Outdoor deck was a perfect spot for am anniversary dinner. Weather was sensational, and the view of the reservoir was awesome. If the weather is warm enough, the deck is the place to be, but inside would be pleasurable if the weather was inclement. The menu had a wide range of choices, and very price competitive. Definitely a gem. Our first experience was great, we know we're coming back.Special Features:
- beautiful view from decksbauchDined on 9/3/2014The menu is varied and as long as the weather is nice, the outdoor seating is the perfect place for eating and sipping on a beverage. It's really quaint place to dine, watching the sailboats out on the water. The menu is more gourmet which in turn is why it's a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnernickofsvhDined on 9/1/2014My wife and I had our anniversary dinner there on Labor Day. It was my first time at Rick's, my wife's second. The view is spectacular, especially as it approaches sunset! We both enjoyed well made cocktails...hard to find a Moscow Mule outside of Mass Ave, thanks! Shane gave excellent service. Our only quibble, and this may not be an issue for everyone, was the lobster tail. My wife had a half lobster tail in her order, and it was overcooked. . The result was a much firmer texture. The drawn butter became necessary, not optional. However, my scallops were cooked perfectly, and we will consider Rick's again for other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner datetable4twoDined on 8/31/2014We were seated fairly soon after arrival. The outdoor table gave us a great view of Eagle Creek Reservoir. The portions were large enough so that one appertizer and one entre was plenty for the two of us and the food was well prepared and deliciousI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, iffy serviceotterladyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food, as usual, was just fine. Our server was very nice, however, he seemed very distracted and had to be reminded of items we were waiting for, even bringing us someone else's drink. We like Rick's and will definitely return, however.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Overall, the evening was enjoyable and the food was great. Unfortunately, the restaurant was very busy and that seemed to cause signficant delay in our service (and poor service once we were we served). The waiter said he was assigned our table and all of his other tables were on the other side of the restaurant. I believe that contributed to the poor service.Special Features:
- Fun place, slow service.campVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food and atmosphere were great, however, the service was really slow. Took a half hour just to get our drinks.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDanielDined on 8/30/2014Rick's in Indianpolis is at a great location, has great food and great view. Definitely recommend outdoor seating (weather permitting).Special Features:
- Oscar1Dined on 8/30/2014Nice place, romantic with very good food, in same places outside too noisy. But nice to enjoy a nice moment, with music and time to enjoy the landscape.Special Features:
- Odd mixtureJimNCherDined on 8/30/2014The ambiance and location of Rick's is great and unique in Indy. Oddly the non-seafood dishes were fine, while the blackened Florida grouper lost its flavor in the vast shrimp etouffee which was more like a gumbo, and the crab stuffed mushrooms just had too much going on to taste the crab. But the baked goat cheese was splendid, the key lime pie thrived despite a complicated recipe, and the cajun catfish was quite good. I am biased, having grown up on the eastern shore with simple fresh seafood. We will try Rick's again and I will order simpler seafood preparationsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Closest view to a Floridian coastal diner ....Thanks for your efforts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date nightepimom46112Dined on 8/30/2014We had the goat cheese appetizer, it was a little bland, but our house salads, tilapia and shrimp dinner, and blueberry cheesecake were excellent. We had a perfect night out on the deck, no better view on the westside.Special Features:
- Good find in IndyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Great food selection and ambiance! The service was horrific so be prepared to not be wowed. If you can handle the trade off, you'll manage to enjoy your time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Took my wife out for date night. Great experience. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful night for diningdanditkaDined on 8/29/2014We initially were seated at a table where two of us had our backs to the water. We asked the waiter if we could get a table where all could see the water and they found us a table with a great view for all. Our service was good and so was the food. it was a perfect night to dine out on the deck with a cool breeze keeping us refreshed. Everyone enjoyed their meal and are looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening with friendsPamelaDined on 8/29/2014We had not seen our friends for several months so had lots of catching up to do. Started with drinks at the outside bar, then moved to an outdoor table for dinner. Calamari was the best I've eaten. We all had seafood as entrée. Everything was delicious. Key lime pie was to die for. We sat and talked for quite a while, never feeling rushed. Our waitress gave us just enough attention. Overall, a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceBuzzardDined on 8/28/2014We returned to Rick's for the first time in 12 years and were happy to find the menu, food and service are still just as good as we remembered them. We dined early to avoid the crowd and noise levels. Everyone was friendly and professional, except the hostess, who evidently felt compelled to grab two menus and just start walking toward the dining room without saying a word to us. We decided to follow her just in case she assumed we would. When she reached our table, she threw the menus on it and walked away, again without uttering a word. Apparently she feels that being young, attractive and blond gives her that right. I'm surprised, as successful as Rick is, that he would not realize how detrimental to business such behavior can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014This was a dinner party of four. Two had been to Rick's before. First time for myself and the other person. We all agreed that it was a great experience. The food, the view, the live music, the wait staff, the presentation; everything was just perfect. It was my 60th birthday and I had a great evening!Special Features: