Rice Paddy Restaurant
732 Front St
Georgetown, SC 29440Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rice Paddy Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://ricepaddyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435462021x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9pm
Sunday's: Noon - 4:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Branham
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
A word from Rice Paddy Restaurant
Experience the warm hospitality of the South Carolina Low CountryContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rice Paddy Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
Rice Paddy Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (15)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (12)good for groups (7)notable wine list (7)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- FOOD/PRICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014I HAD NOT BEEN IN YEARS; MY FRIEND HAD NEVER DINED WITH YOU. I REMEMBER GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE. THERE WAS A MUSTY ODOR INSIDE; SQUASH CASSEROLE WAS HORRIBLE; TASTED OF OLD OLIVE OIL/VEGT. OIL. I COULDN'T EAT IT. MY FRIEND AGREED THAT IT DID NOT TASTE VERY GOOD, BUT SHE ATE IT BECAUSE SHE WAS HUNGRY. MY SHRIMP/GRITTS DISH STARTED TO BOTHER MY STOMACH, SO I DECIDED TO TAKE IT HOME. WHEN I OPENED THE CONTAINER, THE SMELL OF FISH WAS OVER WHELMING. I HAD AN UPSET STOMACH FOR THE REST OF THE DAY AND COULD NOT EAT ANY DINNER. MY DESSERT WAS ALSO LACKING IN FLAVOR. MY CHECK WAS FOR $29.50 W/O TIP (EXPENSIVE).
- My Favorite RestaurantCasualDinerDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I visit Georgetown SC eight or ten times a year and always look forward to dinner at the Rice Paddy. We found this very fine restaurant twelve years ago and have never been disappointed. I don't know enough about wine to judge their selection but they offer the varieties that we each prefer by the glass. Our home is near Washington D.C. and near Washington VA so we have an opportunity to enjoy some very nice restaurants. The Rice Paddy is my favorite every time we dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite up to reputation2LAFDined on 8/16/2014Quail was outstanding but surprisingly the sea food dishes were average, and left us with an experience that was far less than several friends who had recommended Rice Paddy had led us to think we would find. While attractive restoration of a old bank, acoustics are more inkeeping with a noisy bistro or sports bar rather than a nice restaurant...i.e. make conversations difficult. The evening low lighting while providing atmosphere, combined with small, light colored print make menu reading a struggle. All of which is interesting given that the night we were there 75% of patrons were 50-plusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was greatmousemomDined on 8/15/2014the flounder special was superb. And the peach cobbler was chunks and chunks of peaches. so good.
- Not exactly what we expectedMBfam4Dined on 8/14/2014We heard wonderful reviews so decided to go when we were in town. Lovely place, historic feel. First, our girls ordered from the children's menu which offered fresh fruit. They were excited about it only to have the server come back and say they were out of fresh fruit except limes lemons and oranges, which is simply their bar fruit garnishings, so not sure why she even told us that. We had our bread which was good. We asked for more cornbread, (there was cornbread and rolls in the basket) and she responded that they were out of the cornbread. It's early, 7:30 by now, they sure seem to be out of a lot already! Somewhat strange for a place with such rave reviews! Overall it was fine, nothing special however. And we were expecting special.Special Features:
- Delicious!LoracDined on 8/9/2014What a great place to have all my favorite southern dishes! I ordered shrimp and grits and it was very good. This is a dish that I usually order whenever it is on the menu at any restaurants that we dine at. The Rice Paddy didn't disappoint and the dish was absolutely delicious! I love the decor of the restaurant and the fact that it's in an old bank. So neat! Service was exceptional. We always look forward to a dinner at The Rice Paddy whenever we stay in Georgetown. Can't wait for another visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The prices were what I would expect from a high end 4 star, the service was what I would expect from a 3 star. The ambience was great and was perfect for my needs which was a special occasion. The noise level was very quiet but I dined mid week and there were very few patrons and the attached bar had no patrons. The menu selection was limited and pricing was very difficulty to figure out (it was like the owner did not want you to know what you were paying). The food was excellent and refined. Cost for 3 adults (without wine and with two appetizers) was 120.00 before tips.Special Features:
- A Southern FavoriteRoyl16Dined on 8/3/2014We travel from North Myrtle Beach at least once during our vacation to enjoy lunch at the Rice Paddy. While no longer open for lunch we took the trip on Sunday and enjoyed our favorite, shrimp and corn chowder. The service is always good and the food has never let us down. Southern cooking that certainly makes these Yankees happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarvelousGrillCeasarLoverDined on 8/1/2014Took friends that have been all over the world, we had told them about this place, they said everything we said was correct. Nice to be local and have a place that impresses even the most travelled. Great as always!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was mediocre by fineAngusDined on 7/23/2014dining standards. My ceasar salad was ok, but had an unusual tang to it and really did not taste like the usual ceasar. I had the grouper special which was just ok: the fish was overcooked and the dish did not have any really real distinction that made me really relish the bites. Loved the very quiet atmoshere with soft music. The service was friendly but overly so and somewhat pedestrian. The servers need polishing in to improve their professionalism. (They also need to wear similar attire.) My creme brulee was pretty good. I would come back if I dined in Georgetown with any frequency and would guess this is the top high-end restaurant in town.
- MariaDined on 7/18/2014When I entered the host literally shouted at me (from behind the bar) "can I help you" before I barely got through the doors. It made me feel like I was intruding and we had a dinner reservation for our anniversary. Our waitress was friendly, but not as attentive (she did not bring our food or check back with us to see if the food was good, she came and filled our wine glasses once) as I expected at this type of restaurant. They were not busy. The shrimp and corn chowder was like water. Our filet oscar was good. The two bus boys were running about the restaurant and one looked as if he had rolled out of bed and threw on an old rumpled dirty white (but not white white) shirt. We were disappointed after reading other reviews/recommendationsSpecial Features:
- An utter delight in GeorgetowncorposantDined on 7/17/2014Rice Paddy Restaurant is a wonderfully fabulous place, both in terms of its architecture/atmosphere and extremely delicious fare. It was my first time in Georgetown and happened upon a review of this restaurant in a AAA book -- their praise was well warranted. I felt their menu offered a number of diverse selections and couldn't have been happier with my pan seared grouper. It is also worth noting that the 1940s era jazz they played in the restaurant was greatly appreciated. It is with extremely high esteem that I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that happened to find themselves in Georgetown, S.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rice Paddy recommendedwillowtreeDined on 7/7/2014Good food, pleasant dining experience. It was a last minute decision to try this Georgetown restaurant while we were in SC on vacation and we were pleased with the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014As usual on all our numerous visits, The Rice Paddy is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014My husband and I have always counted on Rice Paddy to be a wonderful dining experience. On Saturday night, we were so disappointed by the service and quality of food. Steaks were tough, sides were not good other than the potatoes......meal started out well with drinks and salads and then we waited almost 45 minutes for the entrees. My flounder was cooked nicely but it sat atop a relish that was so pickled, it was a distraction from the fish.....did not enjoy that. The waitress was very nice, but she never came back to the table to refresh water, tea, wine. Worse yet, the restaurant was not full.Special Features:
- Family in TownGrillCeasarLoverDined on 6/28/2014As always, our choice to show off Georgetown and the best restaurant, hands down! Perfect Saturday night dinner, guests were more than impressed with waitress, locale, and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Low Country DiningPawleysgirlDined on 6/28/2014Everyone seems to look around Pawleys and Murrells for fine dining yet they just need to drive south a few miles to historic Georgetown and Rice Paddy Restaurant. The first floor of a historic bank building has been transformed into a spacious and elegant dining room and bar area with its original storefront windows, high ceilings, and of course The Vault, open to view. Upon entrance, you are greeted with true Southern Hospitality by the owner, from there you are attended by a knowledgable friendly waitstaff. Have dined 4 times at Rice Paddy, all wonderful. Fish is fresh, exceptionally prepared. Specials unique. Extensive wine list & bar round out what ails you. Rice Paddy is refreshing. No music so loud I can't hear my dinner companions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2014After eating at this restaurant for the last 25 years, I have to say that I will probably not ever go again. How disappointing it was. SInce the Susans left, things have slowly changed and not it is just not the same. The Bahamian grouper was awful. If was like getting a piece of fried fish in Murles Inlet. The only saving grace was the peppermint icecream.
- Always GREAT!GrillCeasarLoverDined on 6/4/2014Great place and in quaint downtown Georgetown window seats can see the harbor and boardwalk. Specials are always great selections. HAd a marvelous quail, wife had NY Strip special with mushrooms she loved. Wait, here it is: Grilled Ceasar Salad!! Incredible, just hope they have it as a special when you are there a must; we encouraged them to make it a full-time salad offering.Special Features:
- The following 100 reviews are from the Rice Paddy Restaurant reviews archive.
- Amazing!NateDined on 5/31/2014This was our first visit to the Georgetown area, we were staying near Pawley's Island and saw the reviews. It lives up to the Hype! Amazing food. Best cornbread I have ever eaten. Great fresh fesh and a filet that melts in your mouth. Rice Paddy is also in a beautiful building!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything in balanceTravelingmanDined on 5/31/2014This is a nice restaurant. Décor is nice, menu is varied and interesting, and the service was very attentive. Food was delicious to boot! Only complaint is that the red wine is not stored properly and is served warm. This can easily be overcome by bringing your own bottle. They seemed to welcome doing that.
- very good restaurantVburrDined on 5/30/2014I celebrated my birthday there and had a wonderful meal. I do think their entree's are a little bit pricey for Georgetown, SC. Nice wine list. l would recommend for a special event meal, not a family outing.Special Features:
- Business DinnerPIChickDined on 5/28/2014Conducted a mid-week business dinner at this establishment. It seemed odd that the dining room was empty except for ourselves and another table, while there seemed to be more of a "friends of the owner" social gathering at the tables on the sidewalk outside. The young man refilling drinks continued to spill it all over the table - some additional training is needed here. While wonderfully quiet for our discussion, the restaurant does not seem to be very productive. Our reservation table was waiting on us and this worked well through Open Table.Special Features:
- Gone DownhillBeacheatsDined on 5/22/2014We have had the same host the last three times we were there and he is not personable or helpful with special requests. The food was bland. We are sad to have had such a poor experience because we have enjoyed going there for years. Gone downhill the last year or so. Only redeeming part is the bartender and wait staff - they're always extremely friendly!
- disappointingClairedahlDined on 5/22/2014How can new owners take over a superb restaurant and turn it into an abysmal one? I believe we had the worst meal I have ever had to endure. We had three courses, each one worse than the last. Bacon-wrapped oysters were coated with a thick (very thick), dry coating, barely-cooked bacon, and a piece of oyster that was almost too small to find. Flounder picata was three patties with thick coating and fried. Their homemade peppermint ice cream, which used to be wonderful, came in two layers--the one made that day was un-churned, crunchy, grainy; over the top was the previous day's output, slightly melted, but smooth, ice cream. Very strange. We had eaten in this restaurant for years and never had a bad mouthful. What a shame!
- Mother's dayBeachGrandmaDined on 5/11/2014The food was amazing. All 3 of us enjoyed the meal. Service was slower than the number of diners would expect. We hope that our waitress's support staff was still in training mode, because if he wasn't, he should have been fired.Special Features:
- Aana was our server this week;times3VIPDined on 4/1/2014Aana was our server this week; she and Lisa are the best servers at Rice Paddy! Always great to get such special attention. Owners are always there in the bar or smoking outside. They never bother checking to see whether customers are satisfied. And they never say goodbye or thank you as you walk right past them. Thank goodness for Alana and Lisa, who were part of RP before new owners took over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedunhappyDined on 3/28/2014We have dined with you 3 times over the past few years. The first 2 times were really special, but this past weekend was not very pleasant. The service was very slow, and for what we ordered it should not have taken so long to prepare. The restaurant was not crowded, so that should not have been the problem. We never saw more that 2 waiters (ours and one more). Our food was good, with the exception of the fried oysters. We were disappointed that the menu on your website had been changed, and that your prices were higher. Sorry, but we cannot recommend the Rice Paddy to our friends who might be coming to the Plantation Tours in the future.
- Great meal and great service.RandJDined on 3/26/2014Great meal and great service. Drove to Georgetown from North Myrtle and stayed overnight with a long evening meal and a bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful place. I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2014A delightful place. I was meeting someone form out of town and I have always loved this restaurant . they loved it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, Alaina, our servertimes3VIPDined on 3/22/2014As always, Alaina, our server was most attentive. She and Lisa are why we keep coming back. We have been eating at the Rice Paddy for 15 years. Fortunately, the new owners have kept the signature dishes we love. The owners are always there but never speak, just hang out at the bar or stand outside the entrance smoking. Very annoying to have to fight your way through smoke to enter sometimes. At least the bar and restaurant is non smoking.Special Features:
- As always, a great place toGrillCeasarLoverDined on 2/14/2014As always, a great place to eat, a gem of Georgetown. Comparable to any downtown Charleston but with better service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValentineLarryDined on 2/14/2014No refills on water, not asked about a second cocktail, requested additional bread not delivered. Main course was very good and would reorder. Will eat there again.Special Features:
- I have always considered theFritzDined on 2/14/2014I have always considered the Rice Paddy to be one of the best restaurants in South Carolina and have patronized it for more than twenty years. On this occasion (Valentine Day), we chose the Valentine special which included salad, entree and dessert to share. Service was good, ambience also good and food, for the most part, was good. Unfortunately the prime rib, which was cooked to just the right degree of pinkness and had excellent flavor, was not tender. I thought I would never finish chewing, chewing and chewing some more before I was able to swallow. I would prefer that they use a little better cut of beef even if they have to charge a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but no "Derby Pie"MaggieDined on 2/5/2014We tried this restaurant after several recommendations from local residents. We were not disappointed. The food was Excellent, service just right. The restaurant is a converted historical bank. The excellent wine cellar in the Historic vault, lovely bar adjacent to the restaurant that was quite Busy as well. THEN THE food, each member of our party ordered a fish dish or crab cakes. Some meals were served with delicious grits(I don't normally like grits, but these were great), others with fresh veggies and rice. We were delighted with our meals, the decor, ambiance and service. Our one disappointment was when it came to order dessert, they were out of the recommended "derby pie". So we settled for an excellent coffee. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantBrianDined on 1/31/2014The Rice Paddy restaurant not only has great food, it has all the charm of the old south. It is a classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming as evercaptfjbDined on 1/24/2014We've been to the Rice Paddy on more than a few occasions and always enjoyed the experience. This past visit was no exception on many levels, but if I had to think of something to "complain" about it would be that the shrimp and corn chowder seemed a bit cool and the oysters Rockefeller were a little chared. Still and all, a very nice dinner with friends who had never been here before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy New Year's Eve!DonnaVIPDined on 12/31/2013A great meal on New Year's Eve! The lobster special was delicious and great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed itPDSCDined on 12/31/2013Dined here on New Year's Eve. The menu was limited, but the food was delicious. We had the bisque, grouper and lobster Rockefeller; great sauces and presentation, and the peppermint parfait. The service was very good; we were not rushed; had a nice leisurely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our visitWineandjazz46Dined on 12/31/2013Wonderful place! We so enjoyed it! We will be back soon. The wine was outstanding and our waitress excellent! Thank you for great New Years Dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.