Rhett's River Grill and Raw Bar
2335 Seminole Trail
Charlottesville, VA 22901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rhett's River Grill and Raw Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rhettsrivergrill.com/
- Phone: 4349747818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Rhett Craddock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rhett's offers a full line of catering for your special event, holiday or office party, cook out or any other event you might be having. Call today to plan out your menu for your next event. Ask for Rhett or call 434-996-7818.
A word from Rhett's River Grill and Raw Bar
Rhett's River Grill offers the freshest in seafood and Certified Angus Beef. We feature items like 12oz bone-in Ribeye, NY Strip, Ribs, Duck, Pasta dishes, Asian glazed Salmon, Crab cakes, steamed Shrimp, Mussels, Crab legs, Bay Oysters and succulent Scallops. Rhett's also offers a full line of sandwiches at lunch and an unbeatable Sunday brunch. We are open 7 days a week and offer a limited menu between lunch and dinner daily from 2:30pm to 5pm. Rhett's has dining for groups and special events. We offer casual dining in warm family friendly atmosphere. So come into Rhett's today with a group of friends or with someone special for a cozy dining experience. Rhett's also has a full bar and offers carry out and catering services. Tuesday nights are all you can eat Crab legs, Wednesday nights two entrees and half price bottle of wine, Thursday nights 50 cent raw or steamed Oysters and on Sunday nights kids eat free with adult purchases.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Rhett's River Grill and Raw Bar - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Rhett's River Grill and Raw Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Only OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I saw this on Tripadvisor and decided to try it. It was more like bar. The food was only OK. Salad was an extra charege of $10.00. Scallop Augratin was just ok. Tasted like dry italian breading on top and over powered the seafood taste. I could not tase the crab or scallops. Didn't finish because I didn't like it. My hubby had the same and did not like it. Our waiter/bartended said it was his favorite meal on the menu. My daughter had linguine alfredo with cheese and that was very good. I would not go back ther again.
- Food was better than expected!TamiDined on 10/3/2014Service was outstanding, server offered suggestions, exceeding our expectations.Special Features:
- Glad we came!SueAnneDined on 9/28/2014We made our reservations through Open Table knowing nothing about the town or the restaurant. We considered changing our reservations so that we could eat in downtown Charlottesville. However, we talked with one of the local winemakers, who gave Rhett's a rave review. We kept our reservation and were glad that we did. The food and service were very good. It was quiet on a Sunday night, which was just what we needed. Would definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- LTMikeDined on 9/13/2014Great meal, great selection of meals to choose from. Service was good, will visit again when in the area.Special Features:
- Wonderful value for great food!GoodEatsDined on 8/30/2014It's been awhile since we last visited Rhett's. It was the evening after a whole football game and, although there were lots of folks there, our 6:30 reservation went without a hitch. We ordered Mr. T's plate and it arrived overflowing with mussels, shrimp and calamari as well as a dozen outstanding oysters. The service was excellent and we really enjoyed our visit. Rhett's will be a regular local seafood stop for us.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodCvillemarineDined on 8/28/2014It's a treat when I can come to Rhett's for dinner. The raw oysters are always very large and taste better than any in Charlottesville. Other dishes have very large pieces of seafood, they don't believe in small shrimp, cutting scallops in half, or skimping on the portions. The food quality has always been superior to most I've been to. If you make reservations with open table, call to make sure they got it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchCrozet2Dined on 8/24/2014The food was very disappointing. The biscuits did not taste homemade. The eggs were fair. The bacon was very small & not a generous portion as we've had at other brunch places. The hash browns were terrible ----- resembled grilled mashed potatoes. We will not come back.Special Features:
- Marginal seafood restaurantfoodhobbyistVIPDined on 8/10/2014Started with a flavorful curry shrimp bisque which, unfortunately, contained very dry (perhaps dehydrated) pieces of shrimp. Oysters were well prepared but served with what would seem to be a savory side ( orzo with sun dried tomatoes) that was actually overly sweet. Biggest downer, the crab cakes. Two good sized, charred on the bottom filler patties with some crab mixed in. Ate one, left the other. All entrees served with two sides, a starch and grilled asparagus (no other vegetable options). Bar could be a source of local micro-brews on tap but all beer is bottled. That's a shame for a restaurant with a raw bar. Can't say that we'll be back.
- very good portion sizelainyDined on 8/9/2014The portion sizes here are out of this world. I reccomend the shrimp and grit cake. It is so good. Lots of flavor and not skimpy on the shrimp. Big shrimp cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindsandsDined on 8/1/2014Came in from out-of-town. Found Rhett's on Open Table, and we were impressed with both food and service. Raw bar was fantastic, and the seafood and my steak were perfect. Laura was fantastic.Special Features:
- Great seafood menu.SunsoulVIPDined on 6/25/2014Rhett's was very accommodating to our large group. The only disappointment was the service. We had 20+ people, and were serviced by one person for a long time. When the other person arrived, things seemed to flow a little more smoothly. However, I specifically told them in the "Open Table" special instructions that some of our group needed to leave quickly, and I asked specifically for exceptional service. That said, the food was great. The oysters were amazing, and the seafood menu is extensive. Everyone seemed to enjoy the farewell party for one of our co-workers.Special Features:
- The following 109 reviews are from the Rhett's River Grill and Raw Bar reviews archive.
- Saturday Night DinnerjimjDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I had never been to Rhett's before and were very much surprised when we dined at this "local neighborhood" restaurant. We were staying at a close by hotel and checked Open Table for a place to dine. We never expected the quality of the the seafood to be as great as it was. From the coconut shrimp to the roasted (garlic,butter,panko) oysters---everything was first class. The dinner fried oysters and dinner mahi with miso was very tasty---presented well---and priced well. Service was exemplary and the willingness of the kitchen to provide us with whatever special requests we wanted was much appreciated. We will return to the area in September and will be having at least one or two meals at Rhett's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Fried green tomatoes were excellent. Portions are large and food selections are many, it's well prepared and presented.Special Features:
- YummyeatsYummyeatsDined on 5/3/2014We really enjoyed the food here. The service was great--loved the waitress. We plan to go back for our reunion next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rhett's SeafoodsunsetdonVIPDined on 4/30/2014This was a business meeting. It was my first time but he is a local and has visited several times. The food is good, not great. The service was OK, but our waitress acted like she would rather be anywhere than serving us. The price was very fair, less than $90 with tip for 2 entrees, premium beers and sides. We also had oysters on the 1/2 shell to start.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch2PittsburghersDined on 4/20/2014Had Easter Sunday brunch at Rhett's and enjoyed it. Reservation was for 11:00 a.m. and our party of 6 was seated promptly. Our toddler's stroller was stored for us out of the way of diners and staff. The stuffed french toast was a hit, as was the egg sandwich. The crab cake eggs benedict was OK, but not great. The only negative of the meal was the orange juice - a large glass that was filled to the top with ice and only a little juice.Special Features:
- Gorgeous fresh seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2014We had outstanding service from the minute we walked in; the receptionist gave us a large, quiet booth & Toni, our server, immediately showed up at our table, told us the specials, answered our questions. Food came promptly; quality & preparation of seafood (we got scallops & salmon) was excellent & all our special requests were met. Also - nice warm bread, promptly refilled, and to our surprise, terrific desserts: warm bourbon pecan pie with vanilla ice cream - just a hint of bourbon & tons of pecans; also a refreshingly tart Key Lime pie - usually that's overpoweringly sweet. (Re noise level: we were there on a weeknight; probably noisier on weekends.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 hour from seating until entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/6/2014Unacceptable. The pacing of the meal was all off. We waited about 30-35 minutes for our appetizer, bread, and soup. It was another 25 minute wait for our entrees. My fish and chips was passable but my fiance's burger was so burnt that it was inedible. They wanted to "make it right" by making him a new burger to take home. We waited another 15 or so minutes for the re-made burger and when he ate it for lunch the next day - he realized it was just as burnt as the burger he sent back. Completely unacceptable.
- Great placeSweetreviewDined on 3/28/2014Great seafood cooked to perfection! Recommend the shrimp and grit cake!!! MmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 'Fraid if this gets out.LenoreDined on 3/21/2014Order the Riverside margarita. Best in town. We like them straight up with a little salt. Excellent, real live liquor. Food: My personal favorite is the fried green tomatoes. Tasty sauce complements the tomatoes well. My husband always goes for the loaded potato skins, and I snitch one or two. Seafood is consistently excellent. My friend and I ordered the salmon entrée from the regular menu. Yum. My husband had a salad and topped it with grilled salmon. We keep returning.Special Features:
- Friday in LentmariDined on 3/21/2014Great service and fantastic fish/seafood--will definitely return. Greeted warmly by hostessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters and moreARIADNEDined on 3/20/2014My family loves oysters so Thursday nights at Rhetts is the place to be when a dozen oysters are half price. And the other entrees ordered were enjoyed as well: Shrimp Feast, Hamburger, and Seafood Feast. Thank you Rhetts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in CharlottesvilletodwinVIPDined on 3/11/2014We visited Charlottesville on a recent trip and looked for a good restaurant for dinner using Open Table. Rhett's was near our hotel and was a very nice surprise. We had a wonderful dinner. My husband and I enjoyed the evening's special Rock Fish which was prepared perfectly. Our daughter chose the scallops with Alfredo sauce and she loved it. Our only complaint is that our server was inattentive and never checked back to see if we needed more water or wanted to order anything else. We also waited a very long time to get our check and our appetizer came out with the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the rockfish speciallocalguyVIPDined on 3/9/2014I had the rockfish special and it was delicious. My wife had a NY Strip steak and she says it melted in her mouth. The food is always excellent at this restaurant and so is the service.Special Features:
- We come here oftenOnceAYearGuyDined on 2/27/2014Good night at Rhett's for half price oyster night. A great time was had by all. Service was great even though the place was jammed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rhett's has the best seafood!localguyVIPDined on 2/23/2014Rhett's has the best seafood! We enjoyed the trout dinner and it was so delicious and our server was excellent. We look forward to our next visit to Charlottesville. We will definitely be dining at Rhett's.bSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST RESTAURANT IN CHARLOTTESVILLELoveRhettsDined on 2/21/2014The menu is awesome- The seafood is well priced, well prepared , the serving staff could not be better. The she crab soup is MUST and the clams casino are the best I have ever had. Casual atmosphere- great for anyone! Don't miss Rhett's.Special Features:
- Great scallops and crabsamanthaDined on 2/16/2014Always a good place to get dinner. Servers are wonderful. Food comes out fast.Special Features:
- Decent non-chain experience.JojobinksDined on 2/14/2014Not being a chain is a good thing. The food is good, some foodies may find the offerings to be contrived and flat, but I found that the food was good and unpretentious. The meats are cooked well, and dishes are comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timecrv0513Dined on 2/14/2014For our first time visiting we enjoyed our visit. It was a little busy and service was slow I assume because of that. We ordered she crab soup and oysters for appetizers. The soup was really good. We really liked the rich flavor!The oysters were big but nothing extraordinary flavor wise. My crab cakes were a little soggy possibly due too the sauce on top. My husband etouffe was not as spicy like he expected. We plan on trying brunch and some other items at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let the strip mall dissuadeRestonianDined on 1/18/2014Don't let the strip mall dissuade you from giving Rhett's a try. Numerous delicious seafood options in this neighborhood eatery. We had the fried oyster dinner (with at least 18 big oysters!) and the fried catfish. Both were excellent and came with ample veggie sides. Portions are large, so try to resist the hot loaf of freshly baked bread that comes out before hand. (If you can!)Special Features:
- Perfect choiceFrancesDined on 1/17/2014Rhett's has amazingly fresh seafood. They could use a little less butter and salt, but the preparations and tastes compliment the seafood. Best wait staff ever!! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab LoverCvillemarineDined on 12/10/2013This place is for the seafood lover, they know how to cook their food well. The all you can eat crab legs were cooked perfect every time. I've never had a bad meal at this place. The oysters are the biggest, best tasting in c'ville.Special Features:
- We had a delicious dinner.localguyVIPDined on 12/4/2013We had a delicious dinner. We decided to try the trout dinner and it was outstanding. We look forward to our next visit to Charlottesville just so we can dine at Rhett's again.Special Features:
- Reliably good food, especiallyNewtoCharlottesvilleDined on 11/2/2013Reliably good food, especially seafood. Convenient location. She crab soup is excellent. Salmon is very good. Small Caesar salad is plenty for one as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Get together at RhettsIlikelocalDined on 10/8/2013It was the first meeting with acquaintances and we chose Rhetts (a recent discovery). Our waitress was helpful in describing dishes and making recommendations. Our friends really enjoyed their first visit. We were able to sit in a booth which gave us some privacy and we were encouraged to linger. The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made our reservation aboutDaleDined on 9/27/2013We made our reservation about an hour prior to our dinner and they didn't have us down on their list. A little embarssaing for us both.Special Features:
- disaster of a nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2013the salads were good. that was the good part of the evening. the salads came first , for some unknown reason, instead of the appetizer. no bread came with the salad or before, although we ask twice. The beef/steak special was tough and covered in some terrible sauce that looked like it was just dumped on it. it was inedible. the pasta special was very poor also. it appeared the pasta, salmon, and shrimp seem like it had been through a blender. it did taste good. the was a lot of grease floating in the bottom of the plate. Even the cocktails were not good, and it was just gin and tonic. how do you mess that up? it was intended to be a celebration evening with my daughter. first time to C'ville. very bad experience!
- Disappointing & Inconsistent MealMelftVIPDined on 9/12/2013I ordered she-crab soup & instead of crabby, creamy goodness, I received what can only be described as liquid tuna casserole. It was heavy on the tomato used to cover up the fact that the meat lumps were not crab but some type of flaked white fish. The consistency was all wrong & when I asked if it was fish, the waitress went to ask & came back a while later to repeat what she was told to say "There is crab in the she-crab soup". While there may have been some semblance of crab somewhere in the soup, I could not taste it. Also of infamous note--I had the worst margarita of my life that night. I asked my husband to try it; he made a face & said the drink "just suckerpunched my tonsils". We won't be returning any time soon.
- Our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2013We always enjoy our meal at Rhett's. The food is wonderful and you have many choices. We had plenty of time to enjoy our food as well as those we came to dine with. Didn't feel rushed out the door. The beer and wine list are great too. Local choices are on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.