Rhett's Piano Bar & Brasserie
66 Hypolita Street
St. Augustine, FL 32084Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Rhett's Piano Bar & Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rhetts.com/
- Phone: 9048250502
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Southern
- Executive Chef: Brian Whittington
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Rhett's has beautiful dining rooms that could be reserved for private parties. Reservations need to be made by appointment only.
- Private Party Contact: Branan Ward 9048250502
- Entertainment: Rhett's has live jazz piano entertainment every night. We featuring torch music, sentimental love songs primarily from the 30,s 40's and 50's. Our music holds close to the great traditions of jazz-influence as well as the melodic structure of the blues. During the week you will mostly hear solo jazz piano, and then on the weekends we add the flair of outstanding torch singers. You'll see the singers walking through the dining room, singing at your tables and insuring a fun filled night of wonderful entertainment for all.
A word from Rhett's Piano Bar & Brasserie
Our full menu features wonderful entrees such as Roasted Duck, Organic Herb-Crusted Grouper, Roasted-Shallot Lamb Chops, Barolo-Braised Short Ribs, Espresso-Rubbed Filet Mignon, as well as great starters including Lump Crab Cakes New Orleans, Goat-Cheese Crouton, Lobster Bisque and much more. Our wine list is second to none in the area, and we have the finest selection of Bourbons, Scotches and other fine spirits. Rhett"s has live jazz-piano entertainment every night featuring torch music and sentimental love songs primarily from the 30s' 40's and 50's. Our music holds close to the great jazz traditions, as well as to the melodic structure of the blues. During the week you will primarily hear solo jazz piano. On the weekends we add the flair of outstanding torch singers. You'll see the singers walking through the dining room, singing table side and insuring a fun-filled night of wonderful entertainment for all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rhett's Piano Bar & Brasserie - Best Restaurants in St. Augustine ›
Rhett's Piano Bar & Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (32)special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (19)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (7)notable wine list (7)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent food!LynneVIPDined on 8/30/2014We loved our dinner at Rhetts! We had the Wellington Puff (incredible), the Goat Cheese Crouton (delicious) and the Short Ribs (very very yummy). Our server was very sweet....the food took a while to arrive but that was okay because the ambience was very nice and the piano bar music was good. Highly recommend Rhetts to foodies!Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Food was tough and disappointing and the staff rude when tried to complain
- Gone with wind fanClarkwhoDined on 8/16/2014It is Rhett Butlers right?....Hostess did not know who Clark Gable was or Rhett Butler...sad they dont know the history or theme of restaurant. Food was really expensive. We just had dessert that was yummy. My daughter picked it because she LOVES gone with the wind. Big disappointment in that regard. On the other hand Scarlett O'Hara's next door was great!Special Features:
- Great St.Augustine Spot!!JaxFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Dined with my boyfriend for his birthday dinner, really enjoyed the food and live music. The restaurant was packed but we still received great service. Though the food took a little while to arrive, we didn't notice becasue the piano player and singer kept our focus. It was a wonderful time listening to live music and eating their delicious food. Will definitely return next time we're in St.Augustine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Fantastic experience you made our date night memorable! Our waiter even went next door to get us Dr. Pepper. We had the egg rolls which were like nothing we have ever had before. The food was outstanding, flavorful, unique, and enticing to the senses. We will definitely becoming back!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Our party of 8 has eaten here many times and liked it very much. However, this time was terrible. We were the only people eating in the restaurant. It took forever to get our food and when it arrived, only 1 of 8 dinners was even moderately warm. I have no idea what was going on in the kitchen, but it was a disaster. The restaurant did make an adjustment in the bill which was the right thing to do. Our server, John was extremely embarrassed and apologetic. I cannot imagine what would have happened if there had been other people eating. Maybe they knew something we did not.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014While our waiter was training someone, he never missed a beat. Friendly, concerned, and anticipated our needs. I ordered the petite size for the tenderloin and it arrived exactly how I had ordered it...Perfection!Special Features:
- As most restaurants...ehhRealfoodpleaseDined on 8/2/2014First of all the Filet Mignon was excellent. Cooked just right and prime quality. Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there. Like a lot of restaurants they depend far too much on the main entrée and fail in the accompanying sides. Please stop with the garlic mashed potatoes. Garlic in potatoes doesn't make them gourmet it just makes them reek of garlic. There were no choices for sides or if there were the server never told us. The menu doesn't say and didn't inform you of what the steak was supposed to come with. I would have liked a nice salad and would have purchased one from the menu if I knew our meal didn't come with one. No way to tell and our server disappeared so fast I couldn't ask them. So...it was just okay and I won't be back.Special Features:
- My Husband's New Favorite!forestmaidenDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I went here for an early anniversary dinner. We had the cheese platter to start, which was delicious. For the main course I had the red grouper special served with potatoes. It tasted just as good as it looked and was still amazing as leftovers the next day. My husband had the filet mignon. He rarely finds food he really enjoys, and this was probably the first time I had ever seen him savoring every last bite. He could not stop raving about it. Everything about our experience was perfect and romantic. I highly recommend it. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as AdvertisedJazzMusicLoverDined on 7/19/2014We were expecting a good quality jazz club with a name like "Rhetts Piano Bar." What we got was a very loud Elvis Presley wanna-be group that was crooning rock-a-billy like music. The food was excellent, but we cancelled the dessert because we couldn't stand the music any longer! The local Bed & Breakfasts promote this club as a jazz-friendly atmosphere which is what we were looking for to celebrate our anniversary. However, not as advertised! We ended up in a "shouting match situation," not only between us, but between us and the wait staff. which was unfortunate since the food was superb. Wait staff was very experienced & helpful - when you could hear them! They need to change the name to Rhetts Rock & Roll Bar from Rhetts Piano Bar.Special Features:
- Special Birthday EveningIrishmanDined on 7/10/2014Had been to Rhett's once before for a nice evening and dined upstairs at the bistro two-tops overlooking the street scene.Music and vocals from the downstairs entertainment are muted so upstairs is quieter. This time our party was four so the tables are away from the window but still very atmospheric. Lighted menus a nice touch in a darker room. We split the meat and cheese platter that was generous. Bisques or salads followed all nicely presented. Dinners involved beef or seared tuna and all agreed on excellent taste and appearance. Only glitch was I ordered the short ribs and they brought a nice filet. Rather than make the others wait, I went with the filet. And at the end their coffee maker quit, so no post meal coffees. We would go backSpecial Features:
- SpecialContessaDined on 7/5/2014We had a special evening out. We had looked many times as we passed by with curiosity. So glad we made it in. The food was delicious. Liked the petite portions so we could enjoy an appetizer and dessert with our meal without overdoing it.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforeJoannaDined on 6/28/2014My first visit here was February 2013 where we were served by John Bennett. It was an evening I will never forget for good service and fantastic food. However, this visit we were ushered upstairs where the temperature was warm. The manager and the server continuously altered the thermostat, but it's an old building and was hot outside. Service was mundane and not personal. Our server didn't seem to care. The food was excellent and the manager was attentive. It was fun to dine in a room where I had received a hot stone massage, when the building was a spa/salon. I will return the next time I'm in St. Augustine. But I'll make sure we're seated downstairs and will ask for John as our server. You never know until you ask, right?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible.NorseForceDined on 6/25/2014Everything about this restaurant was wonderful. Do not let the phrase "Piano Bar" fool you in to thinking that this place is just for music. The food here was outstanding, and the romantic atmosphere was exactly what my girlfriend and I were looking for. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfecteveningniteout4usDined on 6/22/2014This was our 1st time Rhett's &WOW. Rhett's is now my favorite restaurant. We had a choice of eating downstairs with the piano player or a more quiet atmosphere upstairs overlooking the street but still able to hear the music. We choose to dine upstairs where it was a little quieter & more romantic. They had drink & dinner specials which was nice seeing that it was Sunday night & it had already been a challenge to find a restaurant open late on a Sunday evening. For dinner we both ordered the Island Sea Scallops w/ coconut polenta, asparagus and carrots. Excellent taste &perfect portion for both of us. The waitress Morgan was very knowledgeable of the menu &attentive but not overly attentive. I give this restaurant 10 our of 10 starsSpecial Features:
- Average...MAnnCDined on 6/20/2014I read good reviews about this place so I though the food will be ok. I was wrong. I will not go back for the food
- What a great spot!WeLTPDined on 6/17/2014Took my wife here for her birthday, used online reservation form and the service came through! They surprised her with the best piece of chocolate cake (and I don't eat chocolate cake) I have ever tasted. Piano player played/sang Happy Birthday and our server John was an absolute pleasure.Special Features:
- KICK A!FoodCrazDined on 6/14/2014You have to go there. The place is just a unique upper scale totally laid back restaurant that will leave you full and happy. You will go back I promise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible!!!Food4UDined on 6/14/2014High prices for mediocre food and poor atmosphere. Hostess, manager and server lied to us. We asked to be moved from the bar area due to loud music. According to hostess, our server and the manager, the upstairs dining room was full with several large noisy groups except a very small table with bar chairs. A few minutes later, I went upstairs and found half the dining room empty and the side that was occupied was separated by a door which made the other side very quiet. We spoke to the manager and were moved upstairs. The check for two people was $160 before a tip. The lies, loud environment, belligerent server and so-so food caused us to both suffer with severe indigestion for the next 24 hours. We will not go back!!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Our waiter, John, is outstanding. We always ask to sit atone of his tables on the second level over looking the street below. One of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Jazz and AtmosphereJazzJoyceJaxVIPDined on 6/1/2014It was the jazz that attracted me to Rhett's and it was the fabulous Doug Carn's playing and vocalizing that made our visit there so pleasant.There is a casual and convivial air and the staff are all friendly and helpful. The bartender knows how to make a good drink, generous in size. The food was, unfortunately not up to par as far as our group was concerned. The menu was interesting enough but the preparations, like thosee in many restaurants today, were overblown with too many sauces, too much garlic and vegetables overcooked. Given that there are many good dining spots in St. Augustine, get your food elsewhere and come to Rhett's for a drink and some jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but inconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/29/2014I like Rhett's for the old fashioned ambience, menu, "petite" portions, and the piano player (he's great!), but on this visit there were a few inconsistencies. We got the meat/cheese plate ($18) for an app: no olives and don't recall nuts (tho on menu), only 4 small slices of baguette, "chutney" was marinated onion slices. Entrees arrived too fast: before we'd finished both the appetizer and our cocktails. My food sat there getting cold for 10 min while I finished appetizer and drink. That's bad timing on the part of the restaurant. Who wants to eat beef with champagne? Shorts ribs entree tasted and looked like dry pot roast, but butternut risotto and carrots were fantastic. I do like this place and hope that they can work out the kinks.Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere, poor serviceSamasDined on 5/25/2014An incredible place to sit with your loved one and listen to gorgeous piano music. The atmosphere is excellent. Our service unfortunately was very poor. I'm not sure if this is indicative of the entire wait staff, but our waiter had a hard time recognizing when we needed a refill on our water. He did ask several time how everything was, but I shouldn't have to ask for a water refill. Our filets were cooked very well to the temperature we requested (medium rare). There was a complete lack of seasoning however and we needed to ask for additional salt. All in all, you could do better for your money. At least we had a cozy table and great music.Special Features:
- A great find!ChutaDined on 5/24/2014Located in a great location. The staff was great and the food even better. A good choice for a couple to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rhett's was perfectpvbgalDined on 5/23/2014Had a wonderful dinner with great food and fun 30's music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slightly disappointedhopelessromanticDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I went to Rhett's for our anniversary. The music was lively and the ambiance very romantic. My husband had the short ribs which were very tender and flavorful. I had the filet which lacked flavor. The manager heard of my disappointment and was very sincere with apologies and offered us a creme brulee That was very delicious. I myself would probably not go again but the overall experience was romantic. I just feel for the price of our dinner I expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 479 reviews are from the Rhett's Piano Bar & Brasserie reviews archive.
- Less than expectedJimmieDined on 4/29/2014Drink at bar was great first night - - went back next night prior to going to neighboring Collage restaurant (which was incredibly good) and amount of pour was pathetic. Food quality was OK but portion again was pathetic.Special Features:
- RomanticMimiDined on 4/27/2014Loved it! Sat upstairs in the area where tables were all 2 tops along the windows. Lighted menus! I had the most fabulous appetizer of mushrooms sauted and put into a Maderia wine cream sauce put over toast with goat cheese spread on the toast. Delicious!!!!!!! Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Great Find in a Tourist AreaLuv2eatVIPDined on 4/25/2014Charming bar like older NYC bars. Friendly bartenders. Great music: mellow early then louder & vibrant. Can eat in bar or upstairs. We stayed in bar. Food was absolutely excellent. We really enjoyed our dining experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have cooked better at homeJenuVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our server was lovely. The food was not. We ordered the crouton with goat cheese, it was a piece of toast with barely any goat cheese and huge mushrooms ontop. My fiancé and I both ordered the filet, it was over cooked, while the garlic sauce wasn't terrible the chunks of garlic were a bit much, would have been better puréed. The mashed... I think it was from a bag and not real potatoes, they were very grainy. Overall we will not be returning. Not worth the money.
- Great RestaurantJulesnjvilleDined on 4/19/2014Been here twice. Upstairs more romantic not as loud. Food is worth the $$$! Great place to go in St. Augustine. Our server wasn't as good as first time but the cook made up for the service @ table by cooking a great dinner!Special Features:
- Great spot in the Oldest CityHarveyDined on 4/18/2014Rhett's is in the heart of St. Augustine's Historic District just steps away from our Bed & Breakfast. (That's another rave review) Rhett's is a piano bar and restaurant. Downstairs, first level is where the action is. Nicely stocked bar down one wall, tables down the other, musicians toward the back. Entertainment may be a single pianist or a jazz trio. The floor is tiled which can make the room loud when its full. Fortunately for those seeking a quieter, more intimate experience, there is an upstairs dining area. The music is piped up there so you can still enjoy it without being too loud. Our favorite spot is out on the enclosed balcony with windows overlooking Hypolita Street. Rhett's is a lovely place to spend a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Ask for john as serverNicodusDined on 4/16/2014Great drink selection. Food good (filet a bit tough, snapper excellent). Service superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful a Business DinnerNanaDined on 4/12/2014We wanted a restaurant with a good menu, great service, great ambiance, and amenable to a good conversation. Rhett's offered all of that. The business associates we were entertaining loved the decor, the small dining areas, the food, and the martini menu. Our waiter was very attentive and served us well. We would not hesitate to go back!Special Features:
- Superb!!!KcheleDined on 4/8/2014The atmosphere, service, drinks, and food were outstanding, and listening to Jim Geiger on the piano was frosting on the cake! Thank You!! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014We had a wonderful evening, great service, fabulous entertainment, however the meal was adequate. Two in our party had the seafood special which was overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cutting cornersRhettsDined on 4/2/2014We were about the first customers to dine on a Wed. I had a salad that you could tell that the lettuce was from the night before. Edges were turning brown and drying out. I picked out the dry ends. I asked my server if they were open for lunch and he said no. This means they either use pre-cut lettuce or it was left over from the day before. Would not go backSpecial Features:
- Slightly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014My last experience at Rhett's was about six months ago. Rhett's was one of our favorite restaurants for a special evening. This time was not so good. Service lacking, noise level high (useed to have a pianist during dinner, now a loud singer), smaller food portions. Food is still very good but it will be quite a while before we eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef out did himself. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Chef out did himself. Food presentation and taste was incredible. Our waiter was his first night of work. Needed more time with an experienced wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dined in the upstairs diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We dined in the upstairs dining room which was lovely, quiet and John, our waiter, was very solicitous. It was our first experience upstairs and I would highly recommend it as the service and ambiance were very good. The only disappointment was that a salad was not included with the meal price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.