Rhein Haus – formerly, Von Trapp's
912 12th Ave
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Rhein Haus – formerly, Von Trapp's
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rheinhaus.com/
- Phone: 2063255409x
- Hours of Operation:
HAPPY HOUR: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
DINNER: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
LATE NIGHT: 11:00pm - 1:00am
LUNCH/HAPPY HOUR: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
DINNER: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
LATE NIGHT: 11:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German, Austrian
- Executive Chef: Pete Fjosne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two mezzanines available for private rental (West Mezzanine 40-50 person capacity and East Mezzanine 30-40 personal capacity) in addition to several different Bocce Ball Court packages and other combinations.
- Private Party Contact: Molly Pluger 2063253049x
- Entertainment: Bocce Ball Courts, Shuffle Board, Ski Ball
A word from Rhein Haus – formerly, Von Trapp's
A Bavarian-inspired bier hall with house made sausages and other authentic eats, 24 drafts and a vast selection of European/Northwest bier and spirits, 5 indoor bocce ball courts, 2 mezzanines, 3 bars and much more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rhein Haus – formerly, Von Trapp's reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Good food but weird rules...DanielTDined on 8/22/2014Food and service was amazing. Went there for a b-day party. I expected to make it more of an experience where we could have a table, get drinks, eat, and play some bocce ball. Our server told us we couldn't sit at a table and play bocce ball at the same time. Weird. After we heard that rule, we just ate dinner, had 1 drink each then went to another place. I can understand that rule when it is busy but only 1 court was being used at the time. Our group spent over 180 on the meal and would have gladly spent more playing bocce and getting additional drinks but were turned off by this odd rule so we took our money elsewhere.Special Features:
- Great for celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014Fun and young! Nice to share small plates. Good services and happy people.Special Features:
- The following 25 reviews are from the Rhein Haus – formerly, Von Trapp's reviews archive.
- A little bit of Austria in SeattleIngolfDined on 4/13/2014Having attended School in Salzburg, Austria, I have always had a fondness for the culture and cuisine. I have taken my wife to a number of "german" restaurants in the US but they all failed to introduce her to the experience of my youth that I still hold so dear. This weekend, we visited Von Trapp's in Seattle with my son and, for the first time, she could feel the "gemutlicheit" that I experienced in my youth. The restaurant is a very large beer hall with an outdoor beer garden. Highlights were Chicken with lingonberry pancakes, warm potato salad and cheddarwurst sausage sliders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got there at445 but no bocceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014Got there at445 but no bocce ball fields open until 815. A bummer. Server, John, was unbelievable. Made the night. Wish we could've done more than eat.Special Features:
- Not What I ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014The restaurant had pretty good food. I will say for sure that the chicken and pancakes was amazing. Also, the Von Trapp Burger was awesome. The appetizer was fine (we got the selection of sausages...it was fine). The dessert was average to middling...coffee was good. The waiter was fairly dismissive at first and grew warmer as the night wore on. I might go back for another meal, but the place was SO LOUD that I couldn't hear my husband across the table and that's not what I wanted in a night out with the spouse. Good food, fun environment, not my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prost!rainierVIPDined on 1/25/2014A mini version of a German Beer Hall with a Northwest twist. Plus people aren't standing on the tables singing to the Oompa music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding conceptOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/27/2013However while the ambiance and decor were great, the food selection and execution were only ok. Nothing stood out, goulash, dinner kebab, curry wurst, ok but missing depth. Would go back with a group to drink from there wide beer selection and maybe play some bocci but wouldn't go back for the food.Special Features:
- Good all around!RinaVIPDined on 10/27/2013My husband and I enjoy their Sunday Happy Hours that start at noon-4 p.m. A few dollars knocked off the regualr prices is a wonderful thing! A must try in their corquettes... three beautiful round balls of yumminess! Their flatbreads are very tasty as well! Lots of room to roam about. They have 5 bocce ball courts to entertain a group or more. Their beer selection is pretty impressive. Excellent for big groups, families, almost anyone and any amount of people.Special Features:
- Really fun, and really delicious!svenskfiolDined on 9/26/2013Food was plentiful and very tasty. I had the Wûrst Platter and it was wonderful--enormous and delicious. (For gluten intolerant diners--wurst here is also GF!) The beer was very, very good and it was served in the appropriate glasses. Service was attentive and our waiter quickly remedied any need. The Bocce courts were all active, and they created a fun, festive atmosphere. Even though bocce, I think, is traditionally an Italian game, it gave the restaurant more of a relaxed and fun European feel. I have German cousins and I think they'd enjoy Von Trapps. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday afternoon spot.SundayAfternoonDinerDined on 9/22/2013We chose to try Von Trapp's on a Sunday afternoon, hoping to avoid crowds. Great time to come! We were pleased with the excellent waitstaff. Pleasant and attentive! Also, there was not a long wait for the food, which was quite tasty. Fun atmosphere and the indoor boule courts are a great addition for rainy Seattle. Von Trapp's would be perfect in my book if: TVs with sports not so load Viennese beer on tap (e.g., Ottakringer) The Flammkuechen more authentic. (Certainly tasty, but crust needs to be thinner, crispier and square in form. Trust me - I have eaten plenty in Alsace!) I would describe Von Trapp's offering more like a flammkuechen-inspired woodfired pizza. In short, worth a trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink but don't eat!LuluDined on 9/21/2013Beer was tasty, service good but the food was expensive, Americanized German food. Stay away from the spatzle, goulash, especially.Special Features:
- two thumbs upRinaVIPDined on 9/21/2013There were three of us and we dined during brunchtime on a Saturday. It was pretty mellow and we really enjoyed the moderate noise level. The food was very tasty and affordable for Happy Hour (noon-4). Service was on the so- so side. the restaurant is cavernous... and a few bocce ball courts. Nice touch. Will go back again.Special Features:
- Early dinner delight!FutureMrsMillerDined on 8/17/2013Went here for a pre-bachelorette night out.... Perfect way to eat good food and get pumped for our evening. Food was very filling and my craft cocktail was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Von TrappsBellevue425Dined on 7/15/2013Great gathering place for beer and pretzels to watch a game or play Bocce. Skip the food. It was mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The billOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2013Our group was completely satisfied with all aspects of the bar until the bill came. 18% gratuity included for a group of 6? I could maybe see this just for groups 8+. Second, even though the service was excellent, this is a BAR, this is not salty's or the Met. And to just include the tip as part of my bill is a bit arrogant to top it off. We will be back but not in a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Fun FunCurtDined on 6/15/2013Great vibe and even better food! Wonderful beer selection and fun atmosphere! Will Visit again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique spotgoodeaterDined on 6/9/2013Great to do something different. We went with two kids, 11 and 13. Sunday evening was calm enough to enjoy it with them. And played Bocci ball after eating. Not a long wait, again because of Sunday evening. I bet it's crazy on a weekend night.Special Features:
- First visit to Von TrappsJoleneDined on 5/19/2013We found that the food and beer is very good. The establishment is clean, big and has beautiful detailed woodwork. A nice Bavarian feel! Our only frustration was with the server who spent far too much time going over every detail of the menu. A simple introduction and overview of the options would have been enough. We plan on going again with our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What We Hoped ForgermangirlDined on 5/4/2013This place was everything my family and I were hoping for, if a little loud. We loved sampling all of the sausages, and the side dishes were very tasty and traditionally German. Nice place, good service, very popular (so we made reservations, and it was very easy to do so online--they even accomodated our needs when we knew we were going to be late). I'd go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic! My family and friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2013Fantastic! My family and friends brought me for my birthday over the weekend. The food was absolutely killer, and the environment was perfect for a special occasion. Plan on bringing a pile of friends and some extra cash so you can order a smattering of appetizers for your table, and maybe bribe someone to DD for you so you can put away a liter stein or two of some exceptional german beers (yes, they come in liters!) Perfect beer hall, great atmosphere.. everything you'd want out of a German-style pub. OpenTable reservation system works very well, too. Don't be intimidated by a faceless reservation system-- it works like a charm and a hostess will follow up with you by phone before your visit.Special Features:
- Extreme hit spot in Seattle.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013Extreme hit spot in Seattle. Take any reservation you can make and stay as long as you can. Service is great and food is good (German authentic) but the line can exceed 3 hour waits. Go early, drink, eat and play.Special Features:
- Service was great, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Service was great, food was great, atmosphere was great. Had a ton of fun, played bocce, ate and hung out. Make sure you make reservations, it gets busy early! And get on the list for bocce the second you walk in the door! The wait can be 3+ hours...Special Features:
- Great place to hangout withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013Great place to hangout with friends to eat and/or have a drink! Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Good spatzle, but stay awayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/30/2013Good spatzle, but stay away from the meatloaf sliders. They were Spam-like, at best. It is new and working out the kinks, so I will give it another try. I am also not a beer drinker, so a lot of the whole concept is not for me.
- Von Trapp's off to a great startOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013We loved Von Trapp's ~ all four adults and two kids. One of our party is German and felt it was "just like a German restaurant". Our table was ready when we got there and they even called my cell phone before we came to make sure they had the reservation correct. We tried several meals and enjoyed them all and played bocce for an hour after dinner. The bocce really added to the experience and gave us a chance to have some fun beyond feasting. We'll be there again!Special Features:
- Perfect for Birthday PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2013OVERALL: Fun atmosphere. Glad we got there early. Staff was accommodating: we requested a reservation for 5 (largest I could get), but had 30 people over 4.5 hours. They put us in a large booth with hallway standing access that worked OK for adults (not so much for the kids). MENU: I'd like to see more descriptions of the different sausages/meats and beers (love the multi-sizes and the 2 litre BOOT!). Even the sampler didn't list the sausages that were included, but was delicious! And for those not Bavarian-inclined, knowing the diff between Cheddarwurst|Brat|Frankfurter is helpful. WISH: With a name like Von Trapp's, the inference to Sound of Music is inescapable. Any chance for Sound of Music sing-a-long (lottery; one song per hourSpecial Features:
- Food and funfoodieDined on 2/17/2013Great food in a very fun atmosphere. The restaurant is beautiful and unique and the food was delicious. Drinking beer from a glass boot was the highlight of our evening.Special Features: