Revolution - Durham
107 W. Main Street
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Revolution - Durham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.revolutionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (919) 956-9999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday 11:30am to 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm to 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jim Anile
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering by Revolution makes it possible to enjoy the same sumptuous cuisine, unmatched service, and impressive wine lists, far beyond the charming historic walls of the Downtown Durham restaurant. From an intimate cocktail gathering, to private cooking classes, to a beautifully seated dinner party, Chef Jim Anile and his culinary team will ensure that you and your guests share in a moment to remember. Revolution's professional and dedicated staff will work with you closely, to help design an event that is created uniquely for you and your tastes, while mindful of your budget.
- Private Party Facilities: We have available an intimate, private dining space with seating for up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Lane 919-956-9999x
A word from Revolution - Durham
Revolution’s sophisticated and vibrant atmosphere greets guests as they enter the commanding historic Baldwin Building. A dazzling tiled mosaic from Florence adorns the wall, while rich hues of garnet and chocolate brown leather, natural cork, and original restored wood flooring create an inviting social scene. Revolution’s menu features a selection replete with imaginative interpretations of contemporary global cuisine. Chef Anile also offers a variety of tasting options from the three course “Feed Me” to the seven course “The Feast” menu. Revolution is proud to serve an unassuming yet impressive selection of fine wines featuring small production vineyards. The creative cocktail list pays homage to global cuisine while highlighting a changing roster of fresh ingredients.Continued
Revolution is also the Official VIP Restaurant of The Durham Performing Arts (DPAC) President's Club.
Revolution is also the Official VIP Restaurant of The Durham Performing Arts (DPAC) President's Club.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Revolution - Durham - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Revolution - Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)special occasion (103)romantic (66)notable wine list (41)neighborhood gem (40)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (27)good for groups (23)late-night find (19)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- YES!!!NorthcarolinagirlDined on 11/19/2014We made reservations for dinner before a show at DPAC. Food, service, and ambience is great!! Our server was very helpful in making sure we were ready to leave in time for the show, even with ordering dessert (which was heavenly). Can't wait for the next opportunity to return to Revolution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedcanesjohnDined on 11/19/2014This is our tenth visit to Revolution, usually before a DPAC event. Mostly our experiences have been good. On this visit the food was ordinary, presentation was poor (my risotto was a mushy blob on a plate). and not at all tasty. I could have done much better preparing this at home. We were very disappointed.
- Absolutely exquisite!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We went to the Revolution before seeing Chris Botti at DPAC and was NOT disappointed! Great ambience, very romantic, wait staff was very attentive and the food was absolutely amazing! Started out with the tuna appetizer and it was fantastic! The tuna was fresh and delicate, the dressing on the salad was light but very tasty. My date tried the 3 flights of wine and our waiter was very knowledgeable about the available wines and provided wines which she enjoyed immensely. She had the snapper and I had the pork loin for main course. Both were superbly prepared and delicious. I would definitely recommend the Revolution for a special night out! Thank you for a great dining experience before an amazing show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful new find for us in DurhamDurhamVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had not noticed this restaurant before but found it on Open Table. Its downtown location makes parking difficult, but this restaurant has valet parking and we welcomed finding and using that. The sleek modern interior works well on the main floor and the lower floor. The server was excellent at attending to our every need with grace and charm and without being overwhelming. The food was very fine along with the wine recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJdevDined on 11/15/2014The menu doesn't have an overwhelming amount of options, but anything on it is done so impeccably well that you just will not care. I would highly highly recommend trying Revolution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish Decor ad Decent Foodtori2Dined on 11/15/2014Loved the design and décor! Good location for early dinner before theater and other events and late night drinks and dessert afterwards. Some food selections better than others, but like the idea of small plates and executed well. The steak entree was amazing. Ask for Carolyn as your server; she is excellent---friendly, knowledgeable and attentive without overdoing it. One of the bartenders is also friendly and very good; sorry not to recall his name. Valet service a terrific help. Another server when we returned for dessert after a performance, never gave us his name, was almost hostile when we asked for assurance that coffee was decaf (when the busboy served it there was an orange top on the carafe; when he served it was black, so the question seemed appropriate). When we started to ask for three check for three couples, he rudely interrupted before half the sentence was even stated, said "we can figure that out later". He was a generally unpleasant guy and detracted from our otherwise excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Dimly LitTerriDined on 11/14/2014Revolution's food and service is top notch. Our waiter and support staff did a great job of making us feel taken care of during our meal. Attentive, yet not pushy. We will recommend and return to the restaurant, but we'll be sure to request a table where there is adequate lighting. There are missing light fixtures in the rear of the restaurant, which makes it nearly impossible to read the menu and detracts from the beautiful space. I wouldn't ask my guests to use their cell phones to view a menu and Revolution shouldn't either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent birthdaylollywillowsDined on 11/9/2014we took our father here for his 76th birthday and we had a great time. our server was personable, knowledgable and friendly. we all enjoyed the food and wine and will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Get the chef's superb tasting menuluckenbachVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is the finest restaurant in the Durham region. My husband and I save it for special occasions. It never disappoints . Sophisticated .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chose the wrong entree!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Everything is delicious but I was disappointed in the sparsity of veggies and the veal dish I ordered. it seemed way overcooked and maybe it was meant to be (like jerked chicken). Everything else was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really closeAnnaBDined on 11/4/2014Good food, especially the octopus salad, which was very creative and interesting. The food is one tiny tweak away -- a little more salt, more acid, a little more this or less that -- from being great. The small plates are fun, service is awesome, and it's very beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014Food was awesome, it was a relatively quiet night (late on a monday) but the service was attentive but not omnipresent. Would strongly recommend for those looking for upper-mid price fine dining (10-15 first course, 20-25 main course).Special Features:
- IntimatebenlochDined on 10/23/2014The food was delicious at Revolution. Very foodie oriented. The tables are very very close together. We were Sandwiched between a first date and a family out for parents weekend at Duke. And as long as you are okay with hearing every word each of your neighbors speak and they yours then you will let the food determine your enjoyment of the experience. And the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchwineandineVIPDined on 10/22/2014Perfect for a quiet lunch in town. Delicious roast chicken and Greek salad.Special Features:
- Great Food / Disappointing Service12345Dined on 10/19/2014We really enjoyed the taste and quality of our meal. We were disappointed with our server who lacked the courtesy when responding to the questions. First, the incorrect order came out and was taken back without an explanation. Then, we were double charged for our drinks and it took several attempts to get our check fixed. The tables are also very close to each other. When a server was at the adjacent table, his backside was almost touching our table.
- Date Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience at Revolution. I saw a couple people noted in their reviews that it's a little noisey and it is. But the atmosphere, food and service greatly make up for that. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing dinnerwineandineVIPDined on 10/12/2014Great service. Great wine and lots of good choices. We particularly liked the appetizer tuna.Special Features:
- BobbyDined on 10/11/2014The food at the restaraunt was amazing. The service was GREAT!!!!!!!!. I would highly recommend the restaraunt for a romantic night out and a special occasion. It is very fairly priced and the portions are a good size.Special Features:
- Excellent!GabbyDined on 10/11/2014The food and atmosphere are excellent! Nice restaurant for foodies. We eat at Revolution everytime we go to a show at DPAC! Can get a bit noisy at times, but overall, it is a very nice experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner before a showVolDinerNCDined on 10/10/2014Revolution in within easy walking distance to DPAC, so it is a great place to eat a nice dinner before a show. They are pretty busy, especially on show nights like when we visited. The atmosphere is very nice, and the service is friendly. It was a little bit slow, but nothing to complain about. Perhaps we were a bit impatient because we were eager to get to the show on time. The food was really excellent, but food of the changing menu and the specials we had. The cocktails were fun and made very well. The bread served before the meal was excellent, fresh baked! I would definitely recommend Revolution as a great place to get a bite to eat before a show at DPAC, or for a nice dinner any time.Special Features:
- Superb cuisineGlad2bHereVIPDined on 10/8/2014My wife had salmon and I had the monk fish large plate dinners. We both thought that the food preparation and taste were outstanding. We have season tickets at DPAC and it is a convenient short walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding2dinersDined on 10/8/2014We both had the special, monkfish, and it the prepared most interesting and delicious. One of our best meals at Revolution and they have all been delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014Cute little place with amazing food! It seemed to be a nice place for date night; very intimate and great ambiance but it was VERY noisy! The tables sat really close together making it hard to focus on the conversation that my husband and I were trying to have. Overall a good dining experience and we are likely to give it another chance.Special Features:
- Friend friendlydp210Dined on 10/6/2014A disclaimer-I grew up in Durham and I have lived in Hillsborough for the last 35 years. I am so proud of what Durham has become. I met a close friend for lunch who was caring for a family member at Duke Hospital. We had an excellent experience with an attentive server (and bartender). We were able to talk in a quiet light environment for lunch. Thank you. .Special Features:
- Food was excellentFlossie1Dined on 10/3/2014Everything we ordered was wonderful. Our waiter, Anthony was friendly, knowledgable and provided excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014We have dined at Revolution many times since its opening. The last visit was subpar and nowhere near its previous standard. We will not be returning in the near future.
- Avoid the Basement!!BillDined on 9/19/2014After making reservations one week in advance, arriving early, and being a repeat customer, we were let to steps and downstairs to the Basement. A few other tables were "set" and three other groups were eating. The decor was stark, at best. The service was hampered by congestion on the stairs and just confusion. Not, at all, what you expect from this high-end, high cost restaurant. Turns out, there were several places on the main dining level we could have been accommodated. So, if they lead you to the stairs, RUN the other way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerandashowDined on 9/19/2014The food was fantastic. Great service. overall a great experience...Special Features:
- pleasant dinnerrwhartDined on 9/18/2014Our group of 4 was running late for a concert and we were pleasantly accommodated. Very friendly capable waiter. My asparagas and egg appetizer was delicious, the tamales were good but a little dry. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got to be experiencedJulienDined on 9/15/2014Outstanding food and wine the 3-courses menu following the chef inspiration is a must experience with the 3 wines that can be combined to it. Really worth every cent! If you visit Durham, you should not miss its Revolution!Special Features:
- Rude ServerDeeDiningOutDined on 9/13/2014The food was actually rather tasty. Although the salmon was too salty on top for my taste, I just avoided that section...the rest was very flaky and cooked to perfection. My waitress could have been more attentive in that items we asked for were delayed with no explanations. I guess she forgot. The waiter who was also working with her was just outright RUDE put items on the table without a word and walked away quickly so that we could not ask any questions. I was very offended by his behavior. We sat in the basement and as we approached the final steps a foul smell greeted us. Of course we were seated near the stairs. We asked to move away from the steps and the smell wasn't as strong. No! I will not recommend to a friend or enemy.Special Features:
- wakeforestjerryDined on 9/13/2014Loved the first time. Great server knowledge of wines great experience. Very very disappointed the last visit.... Never knew there was a downstairs and had made reservations at least a week in advance and was told by the hostess on the way down, upstairs was for reservations.... Duh. My group was fine but coming from Los Angeles I appreciate ambience and atmosphere and wasn't expecting this table. I know in the future to specify Downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9/13/2014bobbDined on 9/13/2014This was my second visit after having a great 1st time experience. Unfortunately my second visit did not match the 1st. Not all food items ordered were of the same quality. The beef tips were tasty but a mouthful of grizzle diminished the enjoyment. The eggplant lasagna was bland at best. Considering the cost of the meal I will likely not return. The service was great.Special Features:
- So goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The food and the atmosphere will definitely bring me back to Revolution. They were out of the evening's special, Scallops, which I wanted and they did not remove from the specials. But other than that... it was excellent.Special Features:
- Very disappointedluv2eatDined on 9/12/2014I had made reservations several weeks prior. As we entered we saw vibrant, modern, inviting restaurant and we were initially excited. However we are taken downstairs into a dark and depressing environment. It appeared to us that the other few diners seated were like us older, over 40. I truly believe this restaurant needs to revisit its business model since in these economic times it is us older individuals who have more disposable income. We left and we were surprised when exiting upstairs that there were approx five vacant tables. We will never go there again and we have told our family and friends of this hurtful and disappointing experience.
- Top notch!HeidiDined on 9/12/2014Great dinner place if you're looking for "real food" that taste fantastic! Service was very personal and professional. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's choice was awesomeOldLadyDined on 9/6/2014However, there wasn't much else on the menu we would have ordered, so good thing we liked it. The service was awesome, table cleared between each course, water glasses refilled before empty. It was a pricey dinner, but I felt it was worth it. The wine was expensive but they did not skimp on the amount. Also, we asked for a recommendation and the server did not try to sell us the most expensive wine. We had a fried green tomatoe appetizer, tuna as the main course, and creme brulee for dessert. The tuna was a bit rare for my husband's taste, but he ate it all. Everything was quite delicious.Special Features:
- ExcellentNCdinersDined on 9/6/2014We were delighted with Revolution. The décor is modern yet very soft and calming. Wait staff very professional and attentive. Only reason did not give 5 stars for food was one entrée in our party was under-seasoned. Rest of dishes were excellent.Special Features:
- the basement is the pitsWashingtonVIPDined on 9/6/2014I've been to Revolution many times. Last weekend, I scheduled a work dinner there. Without asking, they seated us in the basement. I didn't know Revolution _had_ basement seating. Once we were down there, it would have been even more embarrasing to ask to be reseated in front of my invited guests. The basement is very nicely decorated, but it's still a basement: dark, windowless, and stuffy. Without the atmosphere, the whole night got off on the wrong foot. My guests were new to town, and I don't think they'll be going back to Revolution. I don't think I will, either.
- Excellent FoodkatnencDined on 9/5/2014The Red Snapper was delicious. My husband made the comment that it was the best red snapper he had ever had!!Special Features: