Revolution - Durham
107 W. Main Street
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Revolution - Durham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.revolutionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9199569999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday 11:30am to 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm to 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jim Anile
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering by Revolution makes it possible to enjoy the same sumptuous cuisine, unmatched service, and impressive wine lists, far beyond the charming historic walls of the Downtown Durham restaurant. From an intimate cocktail gathering, to private cooking classes, to a beautifully seated dinner party, Chef Jim Anile and his culinary team will ensure that you and your guests share in a moment to remember. Revolution's professional and dedicated staff will work with you closely, to help design an event that is created uniquely for you and your tastes, while mindful of your budget.
- Private Party Facilities: We have available an intimate, private dining space with seating for up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Lane 919-956-9999x
A word from Revolution - Durham
Revolution’s sophisticated and vibrant atmosphere greets guests as they enter the commanding historic Baldwin Building. A dazzling tiled mosaic from Florence adorns the wall, while rich hues of garnet and chocolate brown leather, natural cork, and original restored wood flooring create an inviting social scene. Revolution’s menu features a selection replete with imaginative interpretations of contemporary global cuisine. Chef Anile also offers a variety of tasting options from the three course “Feed Me” to the seven course “The Feast” menu. Revolution is proud to serve an unassuming yet impressive selection of fine wines featuring small production vineyards. The creative cocktail list pays homage to global cuisine while highlighting a changing roster of fresh ingredients.Continued
Revolution is also the Official VIP Restaurant of The Durham Performing Arts (DPAC) President's Club.
Revolution is also the Official VIP Restaurant of The Durham Performing Arts (DPAC) President's Club.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Revolution - Durham - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Revolution - Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)special occasion (102)romantic (62)neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (38)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (29)good for groups (23)late-night find (19)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Food / Disappointing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We really enjoyed the taste and quality of our meal. We were disappointed with our server who lacked the courtesy when responding to the questions. First, the incorrect order came out and was taken back without an explanation. Then, we were double charged for our drinks and it took several attempts to get our check fixed. The tables are also very close to each other. When a server was at the adjacent table, his backside was almost touching our table.
- Date Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience at Revolution. I saw a couple people noted in their reviews that it's a little noisey and it is. But the atmosphere, food and service greatly make up for that. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing dinnerwineandineVIPDined on 10/12/2014Great service. Great wine and lots of good choices. We particularly liked the appetizer tuna.Special Features:
- BobbyDined on 10/11/2014The food at the restaraunt was amazing. The service was GREAT!!!!!!!!. I would highly recommend the restaraunt for a romantic night out and a special occasion. It is very fairly priced and the portions are a good size.Special Features:
- Excellent!GabbyDined on 10/11/2014The food and atmosphere are excellent! Nice restaurant for foodies. We eat at Revolution everytime we go to a show at DPAC! Can get a bit noisy at times, but overall, it is a very nice experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner before a showVolDinerNCDined on 10/10/2014Revolution in within easy walking distance to DPAC, so it is a great place to eat a nice dinner before a show. They are pretty busy, especially on show nights like when we visited. The atmosphere is very nice, and the service is friendly. It was a little bit slow, but nothing to complain about. Perhaps we were a bit impatient because we were eager to get to the show on time. The food was really excellent, but food of the changing menu and the specials we had. The cocktails were fun and made very well. The bread served before the meal was excellent, fresh baked! I would definitely recommend Revolution as a great place to get a bite to eat before a show at DPAC, or for a nice dinner any time.Special Features:
- Superb cuisineGlad2bHereVIPDined on 10/8/2014My wife had salmon and I had the monk fish large plate dinners. We both thought that the food preparation and taste were outstanding. We have season tickets at DPAC and it is a convenient short walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding2dinersDined on 10/8/2014We both had the special, monkfish, and it the prepared most interesting and delicious. One of our best meals at Revolution and they have all been delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014Cute little place with amazing food! It seemed to be a nice place for date night; very intimate and great ambiance but it was VERY noisy! The tables sat really close together making it hard to focus on the conversation that my husband and I were trying to have. Overall a good dining experience and we are likely to give it another chance.Special Features:
- Friend friendlydp210Dined on 10/6/2014A disclaimer-I grew up in Durham and I have lived in Hillsborough for the last 35 years. I am so proud of what Durham has become. I met a close friend for lunch who was caring for a family member at Duke Hospital. We had an excellent experience with an attentive server (and bartender). We were able to talk in a quiet light environment for lunch. Thank you. .Special Features:
- Food was excellentFlossie1Dined on 10/3/2014Everything we ordered was wonderful. Our waiter, Anthony was friendly, knowledgable and provided excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014We have dined at Revolution many times since its opening. The last visit was subpar and nowhere near its previous standard. We will not be returning in the near future.
- dinnerandashowDined on 9/19/2014The food was fantastic. Great service. overall a great experience...Special Features:
- pleasant dinnerrwhartDined on 9/18/2014Our group of 4 was running late for a concert and we were pleasantly accommodated. Very friendly capable waiter. My asparagas and egg appetizer was delicious, the tamales were good but a little dry. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got to be experiencedJulienDined on 9/15/2014Outstanding food and wine the 3-courses menu following the chef inspiration is a must experience with the 3 wines that can be combined to it. Really worth every cent! If you visit Durham, you should not miss its Revolution!Special Features:
- Rude ServerDeeDiningOutDined on 9/13/2014The food was actually rather tasty. Although the salmon was too salty on top for my taste, I just avoided that section...the rest was very flaky and cooked to perfection. My waitress could have been more attentive in that items we asked for were delayed with no explanations. I guess she forgot. The waiter who was also working with her was just outright RUDE put items on the table without a word and walked away quickly so that we could not ask any questions. I was very offended by his behavior. We sat in the basement and as we approached the final steps a foul smell greeted us. Of course we were seated near the stairs. We asked to move away from the steps and the smell wasn't as strong. No! I will not recommend to a friend or enemy.Special Features:
- wakeforestjerryDined on 9/13/2014Loved the first time. Great server knowledge of wines great experience. Very very disappointed the last visit.... Never knew there was a downstairs and had made reservations at least a week in advance and was told by the hostess on the way down, upstairs was for reservations.... Duh. My group was fine but coming from Los Angeles I appreciate ambience and atmosphere and wasn't expecting this table. I know in the future to specify Downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9/13/2014bobbDined on 9/13/2014This was my second visit after having a great 1st time experience. Unfortunately my second visit did not match the 1st. Not all food items ordered were of the same quality. The beef tips were tasty but a mouthful of grizzle diminished the enjoyment. The eggplant lasagna was bland at best. Considering the cost of the meal I will likely not return. The service was great.Special Features:
- So goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The food and the atmosphere will definitely bring me back to Revolution. They were out of the evening's special, Scallops, which I wanted and they did not remove from the specials. But other than that... it was excellent.Special Features:
- Very disappointedluv2eatDined on 9/12/2014I had made reservations several weeks prior. As we entered we saw vibrant, modern, inviting restaurant and we were initially excited. However we are taken downstairs into a dark and depressing environment. It appeared to us that the other few diners seated were like us older, over 40. I truly believe this restaurant needs to revisit its business model since in these economic times it is us older individuals who have more disposable income. We left and we were surprised when exiting upstairs that there were approx five vacant tables. We will never go there again and we have told our family and friends of this hurtful and disappointing experience.
- Top notch!HeidiDined on 9/12/2014Great dinner place if you're looking for "real food" that taste fantastic! Service was very personal and professional. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's choice was awesomeOldLadyDined on 9/6/2014However, there wasn't much else on the menu we would have ordered, so good thing we liked it. The service was awesome, table cleared between each course, water glasses refilled before empty. It was a pricey dinner, but I felt it was worth it. The wine was expensive but they did not skimp on the amount. Also, we asked for a recommendation and the server did not try to sell us the most expensive wine. We had a fried green tomatoe appetizer, tuna as the main course, and creme brulee for dessert. The tuna was a bit rare for my husband's taste, but he ate it all. Everything was quite delicious.Special Features:
- ExcellentNCdinersDined on 9/6/2014We were delighted with Revolution. The décor is modern yet very soft and calming. Wait staff very professional and attentive. Only reason did not give 5 stars for food was one entrée in our party was under-seasoned. Rest of dishes were excellent.Special Features:
- the basement is the pitsWashingtonVIPDined on 9/6/2014I've been to Revolution many times. Last weekend, I scheduled a work dinner there. Without asking, they seated us in the basement. I didn't know Revolution _had_ basement seating. Once we were down there, it would have been even more embarrasing to ask to be reseated in front of my invited guests. The basement is very nicely decorated, but it's still a basement: dark, windowless, and stuffy. Without the atmosphere, the whole night got off on the wrong foot. My guests were new to town, and I don't think they'll be going back to Revolution. I don't think I will, either.
- Excellent FoodkatnencDined on 9/5/2014The Red Snapper was delicious. My husband made the comment that it was the best red snapper he had ever had!!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014I had heard a lot of good things about Revolution, and based on the meal we had, none of them are quite true. Each dish lacked a finishing touch, and many had glaring flaws. My pasta was undercooked, the "fresh" tomatoes in my appetizer had obviously spent a long time in the refrigerator, and the $8 pint of beer I has was served at far too warm a temperature. Skip this overpriced joint and check out one of the many better fine dining establishments in Durham.
- A wonderful birthday dinner.EmilyDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I have had drinks at Revolution in the past but we've never eaten dinner at the restaurant. That changed this past weekend and I am so glad we finally made the reservation. We decided to enjoy the 5-course tasting menu along with wine pairings. Each plate was a wonderful surprise and the wine was paired perfectly with each dish. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Best kept secret in Durham!Swatson1518Dined on 8/29/2014Great fusion restaurant, very unique dishes. First time eating frog legs- Delicious, a must try if you go. Great place for a romantic date night or meeting with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cgw68VIPDined on 8/29/2014Our 2nd visit to Revolution, & again the food was amazing in every way. Still can't believe the complexity & array of rich flavorful tastes in the ahi "poke" tuna appetizer. But even more basic items like salads here are unusually good. Service was friendly & knowledgeable. Had a really enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Had a living social coupon do we were a little worried, but we were seated on time, food was good, I got the tamale (mushroom/corn) and my other Half got the pork loin..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd timerDannyCDined on 8/29/2014Still as good as 1st time. Menu changed somewhat but food was still very good. Service still very good. Still love the atmosphere and modern decor.Special Features:
- Great for Pre-show DiningAppmarineDined on 8/27/2014Though we have been going to Durham Performing Arts Center shows for years, this was our first time at Revolution. It was convenient to DPAC with plenty of nearby parking. The restaurant is open and therefore quite loud with tables close by other tables. The service was great and the food was very good. I had the pork tenderloin which was tasty, but slightly overcooked. My wife had the lobster quesadillas which she enjoyed. Overall, a great place for pre-show dining that is close with very good food.Special Features:
- Lunch is served!D726Dined on 8/27/2014Had a great business lunch here but we were the only table filled. Had an amazing seared snapped fillet on a bed of greens. Wonderful, light and delicious. All shared a dessert. It was less than 20/a head for the four of us. Cannot believe no one comes here for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, with one exception.catwalkDined on 8/25/2014My sister's order of pork loin was too salty for her to eat more than a few bites. Too much brining PLUS rub or marinade or whatever they used.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceNcdinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014First time.Neighborhood a little sketchy on a Sunday night,but Th-Sat they have valet parking. Beautiful contemporary setting.Our waiter, Anthony, was just outstanding. He made our night special. Loved the tasting menu. It is literally a surprise from the chef. We had 3 course tasting menu + 2 small plates-probably too much for two people. Generous portions. Tasting menu that night was: Grilled prawns with curried ramen noodles (appetizer), Kobe beef on duck risotto with a squash blossom filled with goat cheese (entrée) and a chocolate mousse cake with hazelnut/almond crust (dessert). Exquisite. Small plates were duck confit (very tender, wished it had more delicious sauce) and lobster quesadilla(very favorite)Special Features:
- Basement SmellsNWBoundDined on 8/23/2014Beware if you have your dinner in the basement-it smells musty like a basement. This musty smell overpowered what I'm sure would have been delectable aromas. The steak was out-of-this world. The tamales were not good and not something I would ever recommend. Overall the steak and the service were both great but overall this experience was a disappointment.
- deltaDined on 8/22/2014We went for the oysters, and they didn't have any. The red snapper was poorly cooked--dry and tough. Three other tablemates said their food was quite good, though.
- 40th AnniversaryRayHDined on 8/17/2014So we were looking for a spot for our 40th anniversary. Revolution was a great choice. The food was excellent, and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Just okaySnackerDined on 8/17/2014Went before a Dpac show. They just don't have enough selections. Wait staff will not tell you (even while at the restaurant) what the chef's choices are for the three course prefix menu. That is an expensive risk to take especially if you are hungry, which is usually why you are at a restaurant in the first place. With that being said, feel like prices are fair and portions are big enough to make two meals. But the food wasn't good enough to want to eat it again.Special Features:
- Once was enough.luv4foodDined on 8/16/2014If you go and you are shown a table on the lower level run for the door. Terrible a/c, noisy and lousy food made for a poor experience. 2 of the 4 members of are party could not eat more than two forks of their food--it was that bad. 2 of the other people had great tasting meals albeit almost cold food. Good wine list and the wait staff was great. We heard good things from other people who had eaten here but it was a mystery to me why anyone would want to eat here. I passed up a lot of good eating spots to drive 15 miles to a restaurant that was sub par.