Revolution - Durham
107 W. Main Street
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Revolution - Durham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.revolutionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9199569999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday 11:30am to 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm to 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jim Anile
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering by Revolution makes it possible to enjoy the same sumptuous cuisine, unmatched service, and impressive wine lists, far beyond the charming historic walls of the Downtown Durham restaurant. From an intimate cocktail gathering, to private cooking classes, to a beautifully seated dinner party, Chef Jim Anile and his culinary team will ensure that you and your guests share in a moment to remember. Revolution's professional and dedicated staff will work with you closely, to help design an event that is created uniquely for you and your tastes, while mindful of your budget.
- Private Party Facilities: We have available an intimate, private dining space with seating for up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Lane 919-956-9999x
A word from Revolution - Durham
Revolution’s sophisticated and vibrant atmosphere greets guests as they enter the commanding historic Baldwin Building. A dazzling tiled mosaic from Florence adorns the wall, while rich hues of garnet and chocolate brown leather, natural cork, and original restored wood flooring create an inviting social scene. Revolution’s menu features a selection replete with imaginative interpretations of contemporary global cuisine. Chef Anile also offers a variety of tasting options from the three course “Feed Me” to the seven course “The Feast” menu. Revolution is proud to serve an unassuming yet impressive selection of fine wines featuring small production vineyards. The creative cocktail list pays homage to global cuisine while highlighting a changing roster of fresh ingredients.Continued
Revolution is also the Official VIP Restaurant of The Durham Performing Arts (DPAC) President's Club.
Revolution is also the Official VIP Restaurant of The Durham Performing Arts (DPAC) President's Club.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Revolution - Durham - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Revolution - Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (99)romantic (55)neighborhood gem (42)notable wine list (38)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (23)late-night find (16)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A wonderful birthday dinner.EmilyDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I have had drinks at Revolution in the past but we've never eaten dinner at the restaurant. That changed this past weekend and I am so glad we finally made the reservation. We decided to enjoy the 5-course tasting menu along with wine pairings. Each plate was a wonderful surprise and the wine was paired perfectly with each dish. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Best kept secret in Durham!Swatson1518Dined on 8/29/2014Great fusion restaurant, very unique dishes. First time eating frog legs- Delicious, a must try if you go. Great place for a romantic date night or meeting with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cgw68VIPDined on 8/29/2014Our 2nd visit to Revolution, & again the food was amazing in every way. Still can't believe the complexity & array of rich flavorful tastes in the ahi "poke" tuna appetizer. But even more basic items like salads here are unusually good. Service was friendly & knowledgeable. Had a really enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Had a living social coupon do we were a little worried, but we were seated on time, food was good, I got the tamale (mushroom/corn) and my other Half got the pork loin..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd timerDannyCDined on 8/29/2014Still as good as 1st time. Menu changed somewhat but food was still very good. Service still very good. Still love the atmosphere and modern decor.Special Features:
- Great for Pre-show DiningAppmarineDined on 8/27/2014Though we have been going to Durham Performing Arts Center shows for years, this was our first time at Revolution. It was convenient to DPAC with plenty of nearby parking. The restaurant is open and therefore quite loud with tables close by other tables. The service was great and the food was very good. I had the pork tenderloin which was tasty, but slightly overcooked. My wife had the lobster quesadillas which she enjoyed. Overall, a great place for pre-show dining that is close with very good food.Special Features:
- Lunch is served!D726Dined on 8/27/2014Had a great business lunch here but we were the only table filled. Had an amazing seared snapped fillet on a bed of greens. Wonderful, light and delicious. All shared a dessert. It was less than 20/a head for the four of us. Cannot believe no one comes here for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, with one exception.catwalkDined on 8/25/2014My sister's order of pork loin was too salty for her to eat more than a few bites. Too much brining PLUS rub or marinade or whatever they used.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceNcdinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014First time.Neighborhood a little sketchy on a Sunday night,but Th-Sat they have valet parking. Beautiful contemporary setting.Our waiter, Anthony, was just outstanding. He made our night special. Loved the tasting menu. It is literally a surprise from the chef. We had 3 course tasting menu + 2 small plates-probably too much for two people. Generous portions. Tasting menu that night was: Grilled prawns with curried ramen noodles (appetizer), Kobe beef on duck risotto with a squash blossom filled with goat cheese (entrée) and a chocolate mousse cake with hazelnut/almond crust (dessert). Exquisite. Small plates were duck confit (very tender, wished it had more delicious sauce) and lobster quesadilla(very favorite)Special Features:
- Basement SmellsNWBoundDined on 8/23/2014Beware if you have your dinner in the basement-it smells musty like a basement. This musty smell overpowered what I'm sure would have been delectable aromas. The steak was out-of-this world. The tamales were not good and not something I would ever recommend. Overall the steak and the service were both great but overall this experience was a disappointment.
- deltaDined on 8/22/2014We went for the oysters, and they didn't have any. The red snapper was poorly cooked--dry and tough. Three other tablemates said their food was quite good, though.
- 40th AnniversaryRayHDined on 8/17/2014So we were looking for a spot for our 40th anniversary. Revolution was a great choice. The food was excellent, and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Just okaySnackerDined on 8/17/2014Went before a Dpac show. They just don't have enough selections. Wait staff will not tell you (even while at the restaurant) what the chef's choices are for the three course prefix menu. That is an expensive risk to take especially if you are hungry, which is usually why you are at a restaurant in the first place. With that being said, feel like prices are fair and portions are big enough to make two meals. But the food wasn't good enough to want to eat it again.Special Features:
- Once was enough.luv4foodDined on 8/16/2014If you go and you are shown a table on the lower level run for the door. Terrible a/c, noisy and lousy food made for a poor experience. 2 of the 4 members of are party could not eat more than two forks of their food--it was that bad. 2 of the other people had great tasting meals albeit almost cold food. Good wine list and the wait staff was great. We heard good things from other people who had eaten here but it was a mystery to me why anyone would want to eat here. I passed up a lot of good eating spots to drive 15 miles to a restaurant that was sub par.
- asb44Dined on 8/16/2014Revolution is a great choice for a special occasion. I took my friend out for her birthday. While the food was excellent, the service was even better and definitely elevated her enjoyment. I appreciated the diversity and sophistication in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my GF for her BdayTruLaceyDined on 8/12/2014I asked in my reservation notes if they could do something to help make the evening a special experience for her and they brought at a beautiful dessert displaying happy Birthday and a single candle for her. She teared up a little off of the beauty of the display. GREAT GREAT GREAT place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryAnastasiaDined on 8/11/2014The beefsteak tomatoes were some of the best we have had this summer and the octopus salad was delicious. Service was spot on. Thanks so much for making our anniversary dinner stellar.Special Features:
- We Will Be BackPBXJEDIDined on 8/10/2014My fiancée and I had a wonderful first time visit to Revolution. Our waiter and the restaurant made for a great Sunday dinner. We had the Salmon and Red Snapper fish, both were amazing, paired with two perfect glasses of white wine. After dinner we had a tasty apple crisped desert. The restaurant was clean, everyone was friendly and the meals were great. They accepted and asked for our livingsocial coupon, which eased the already reasonably priced dishes. We will be back and soon for another great meal.Special Features:
- ronbOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Our first time at Revolution and the food and service were excellent. Nice place if you are going to DPAC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChuckDined on 8/9/2014Everything was fine except when you pay what we paid you don't expect to be rushed, you want a slow paced calm and lovely evening, but when the entree comes to the table while you are finishing your salad, well, I felt like I was at a chain restaurant where they get you in and out as soon as possible.Special Features:
- LuvtodineVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great place for celebrations! I met my boyfriend there a year ago and while celebrating our Happy "ONE", he got down on one knee and proposed!Special Features:
- Great foodFlossie1Dined on 8/8/2014The ahi tuna appetizer was wonderful. The salmon was also delicious. I normally love the tamales but the mushroom/spinach one was a little lacking. We has the trifle for dessert. It was tasty but too small for 9.00. Overall food was good. It was be great if they offered more local beers on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let Them Eat CakePearlFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Red Velvet Cake, that is. A revelation at Revolution, where a number of dishes that our party of 5 tried were ALMOST as delicious. Loved the Beef Tartare, the Lamb Ravioli, the Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese and Watermelon. But most of all: we loved our waitress Mary--she was incredibly knowledgable about both the menu and the wines on the wine list but shared that knowledge in a totally warm, unpretentious way--enriching our dining experience tremendously. Extra points to Revolution for the fresh urban interiors and eclectic wall art as well as the comfy round half-booths (which allowed for a sense of privacy even with a table of five).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodDCN75Dined on 8/1/2014This was our first visit. We really enjoyed the restaurant. I do feel like the menu is too limited. I would like to see more choices in the small plates.Special Features:
- Nice tasting menuLisaDined on 8/1/2014Probably the best tasting menu we have enjoyed at Revolution. Wonderful light tuna starter was the highlight. Service was very good. Creme Brulee was a bit too cold and runny in the center and I didn't care for the port paring with it or I would have given the meal 5 stars. Always enjoy this fun restaurant with creative flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotSassySueDined on 7/31/2014Ever changing menu which was great for me as I like to try different foods!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing dinnerWashingtonVIPDined on 7/30/2014I've been to Revolution many times, and they never disappoint. The food is always great, the service is always great. This is one of those rare restaurants that always delivers. Thanks so much -- I'll see you again soon!Special Features:
- Very nice downtown DurhamKBTHDined on 7/29/2014Dinner with 4 business colleagues. All from out of town. I have been here once, everyone else first timers. We all enjoyed it, and they were quite impressed with my choice. Good food, good service. A very nice surprise for downtown Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticstrjnDined on 7/28/2014We chose Revolution to celebrate our anniversary, chose the 5-course tasting menu, and received one of the best dining experiences we've ever had. Phenomenal.Special Features:
- Food excellent, basement smelly!VG11Dined on 7/26/2014Service was slow to start; our waiter did not come over to our table for 10-15 minutes after we were seated. He did apologize, but it was too long for the prices you are paying and the expected service. They also seated us in the very smelly/moldy basement with only 2 other tables! One other table was a large group. It really smelled of mold and water damage; not a pleasant sensory experience for a $15 glass of wine and excellent food. We asked to sit upstairs, and they said it was full, but even an hour later when we went upstairs to use the restroom, there were plenty if open tables for four. Food was delicious, but I would not go back just based on the seating and that they were not customer oriented in finding a seating solution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutLoveBug86Dined on 7/25/2014Lovely evening out with a girlfriend. Revolution was a nice change from the day to day chain restaurant scene. Friendly staff and there was no wait upon arrival, I was immediately seated. I would definitely make another guest appearance at Revolution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night outseeUthereDined on 7/25/2014The evening's specials were very good and our waiter was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceEngineerTroyDined on 7/23/2014Revolution is definitely a great place to bring your significant other for date night. The food is fantastic and rotating. The waiters are quite knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. The ambience is very good. It accommodates a romantic date as well as a group of friends night out. The manager was active in the restaurant, checking on customers and attending to our needs. It was a great experience for us.Special Features:
- Outstanding experiencelb27608Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I visited Revolution for a date night outing. The service was impeccable and everything we had was delicious. Our server provided excellent wine recommendations for our entree choices, too.Special Features:
- Service Great - food dissappointingFrequenteaterDined on 7/19/2014The service was one of the best ever. However the food is average and not outstanding. I would say this restaurant has everything in place to be a great one but the menu needs some work.Special Features:
- Superb!FuntimesDined on 7/18/2014We dined here to celebrate the recent marriage of two of our closest friends. We all selected the 3-course (surprise) dinner and it did not disappoint!!! For the main course, the chef prepared TWO entrees, so we each got to share two. From the waiter, to the manager to the chef, this is as good of dining as we've ever had in the triangle area. (And we did not feel it was overpriced.) The valet parking right in front of the restaurant is a plus since downtown Durham parking can be iffy.Special Features:
- We'll be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our first time at Revolution. Outstanding in every field. Anthony, our waiter, did an outstanding job! The food was so delicious - mouth watering!Special Features:
- FlavorfulDGustationDined on 7/9/2014Durham's old Magnolia Grill was reknowned as "Not Afraid of Flavor." Revolution seems to have taken that title as its guiding principle, as well. It's an ideal place to enjoy a strong selection of wines by the glass, accompanied by appetizers and small plates of distinctively spiced and combined food. The combinations were innovative, but not crazy - Ahi Tuna with wasabi caviar! Shrimp ceviche with green tomato gazpacho. Duck leg with kimchi and orange-black bean confit. Really smart recipes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBenjoyableDined on 7/2/2014First time visit had anniversary dinner there. Wife and I enjoyed totally with awesome food choices and great service. Definitely will return the chef is doing some beautiful and flavorful dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hit.2dinersDined on 6/29/2014Perfect for pre-theater dining or anytime, for that matter. Never had a bad meal. Courteous staff.Special Features: