2102 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.revivalbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: (510) 549-9950
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00-10:00pm
Sundays 5:00- 9:30
Late Night Menu Thursday, Friday & Saturday 10:00-11:00
Happy Hour Tuesday-Friday 3:00-6:00
Live music on Thursday nights!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Amy Murray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Revival Bar + Kitchen provides excellent and innovative lunch box catering in downtown Berkeley. We create tasty, and organic menus with generous options for interesting sandwiches, grain salads, vegetable salads, and desserts.
- Entertainment: We are hosting special events on occasion. Please sign up for our email list (via our website). We will send out announcements a few weeks prior to events. Your email will remain confidential.
- Special Events: Revival Bar+Kitchen features culinary, cocktail, and musical events on occasion. Special Artisan Wine Dinners, and Thematic Farmer Menus are our specialty. Sign up for our email list to get notified. Your email will remain confidential.
- Cross Street: Addison
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART is just a few steps away. It's a major hub for AC transit as well.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking may be tight, but there are numerous options for reasonably-priced pay lots within a few blocks. Downtown Berkeley Parking Map link on our website.
A word from Revival Bar+Kitchen
Revival Bar+Kitchen is serving distinctive, locally sourced, farm-to table, snout-to tail, utterly delicious food for dinner. The full bar is mixing original, hand-crafted cocktails, and our bar menu is available to satisfy after-the-show appetites. We have a 40 person private room for everything from business dinners to wedding parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Revival Bar+Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Revival Bar+Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)vibrant bar scene (76)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (52)good for groups (49)romantic (32)hot spot (31)notable wine list (24)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- The menu is very interesting,JSFBUGDined on 9/19/2010The menu is very interesting, the food was delicious. I ordered the lamb sweetbreads as an appetizer and they were delicious. They were a little slow in bringing the second course, so the manager poured us a complimentary glass of wine and gave up a free dessert. The dessert was lemon ice cream that was very good also. I would definitely go back to this restaurant again. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- The setting, service and cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/18/2010The setting, service and cocktails were spot on. Where this place fell apart a little was the food itself. The heirloom tomato soup seemed like it was too rich. So much so that is sent my stomach into a bit of a series of stomach cramps shortly after the meal. The calamari was far too oily, as was the green beans. I had their specialty, the clams as an appetizer and the small clams were not fully opened (which may have given me cramps) and 1/2 of the plate was inedible. My guest was much happier, but she ate a series of salads that she felt were light and fresh. While the general concept is fantastic, I felt like the food was unnecessarily too rich. Lots of oil, butter and cream doesn't allow the natural flavors to stand out
- The food was great. We reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/15/2010The food was great. We really enjoyed everything we ordered. The drinks were amazing. We thought the food and drinks were inventive and outstanding. However, the service was lacking. We waited 10 minutes before anyone came up to us, and our server went to the table next to us 3 times before he greeted us. Then he was pretty cold when he finally did talk to us. Overall, service was cold, slow, and didn't make us want to go back. We probably will for the drinks and food, but we're in no rush. Their happy hour starts at 2:30 or something, so that's a big bonus. If I'm in the neighborhood and want an afternoon/evening cocktail, I would definitely go here.Special Features:
- A friend and I tried thisGrandmaDined on 9/15/2010A friend and I tried this fairly new Berkeley restaurant for dinner recently, very conveniently located downtown, near the Berkeley BART station and across the street from the Berkeley Rep and Aurora theater companies. My friend and I had only entrees. I ordered halibut, but local cod was substituted (the halibut was gone by 7:30). It came with slices of fennel and delicious beets. My friend was happy with the braised goat, but I thought it could have been cooked a bit longer because it wasn't tender. The dessert (it was "free dessert night") was a very small portion of frozen vanilla yogurt flavored with cherries and chocolate sauce. Our waiter was pleasant, but neglected to tell us about the specials. We'll give Revival another try.
- This is a very good restaurant,JacksonGourmetVIPDined on 9/15/2010This is a very good restaurant, but they need to be careful about becoming too crowded and noisy. If there were any more noise than there is, I would stop coming here, despite its good food and its fabulous location near both Berkeley Rep and Aurora Theatre. Some additional soundproofing wouldn't hurt.Special Features:
- Excellent for pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/15/2010Excellent for pre-theatre dining--down the street from the Berkeley Rep and the Aurora Theatre.Special Features:
- This was my first time atKrisVIPDined on 9/15/2010This was my first time at the new Revival and it's just okay. I was a very happy patron of Downtown and loved its menu; I still miss it. Revival is a pale imitation although it is convenient to Berkeley Rep and Aurora.Special Features:
- The flatbread and sardineoutforfoodVIPDined on 9/14/2010The flatbread and sardine appetizer were both very good. My goat stew was cooked well, but not seasoned enough. All my friends had the halibut but did not rave about it. Will try again before going to Berkeley Rep.Special Features:
- Great prix-fixe Sunday nightwilmaDined on 9/12/2010Great prix-fixe Sunday night dinner special. Service was friendly and very good.Special Features:
- This was our second dinnerHungrymamaVIPDined on 9/12/2010This was our second dinner at Revival. We were greeted in a much more professional manner than the last time. The food was also an improvement. The green beans (ordered as an appetizer) were beyond perfect: in a class by themselves. The main courses were a good blending of tastes. The steak was cooked exactly as ordered, and all of the vegetables worked perfectly together. However,one problem remains from our first visit. There was a very long wait between the starters and the main courses: roughly 40 minutes. Since Revival is close to Berkeley's theater companies, (and many of the early diners are going to the theater) the kitchen has to get with it. We felt our dessert was rushed, We won't order it next time.Special Features:
- the whole experience was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2010the whole experience was very good, nice interesting menu not huge portions but just enough. will go back for sureSpecial Features:
- We mentioned that we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/10/2010We mentioned that we were going to an 8 0'clock play, and our server was very good with getting the food and drink to us. Amy Murray, the owner-chef, is always on hand to talk with the customers and see that every thing is going well. Food is good and atmosphere pleasant.Special Features:
- We had yet another delectableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2010We had yet another delectable meal at Revival. This was our third time dining here and we were yet again impressed with the atmosphere, the service and most importantly the food. Top quality on every level. Our server was amazing - he was so knowledgeable about wines and suggested the perfect pairings for our meal. Revival is fast becoming my favorite restaurant in Berkeley.Special Features:
- We had a great dinner beforelinda94705VIPDined on 9/5/2010We had a great dinner before the theater Sunday night. There were six of us and we all liked our meal -- especially the seared ahi and the halibut. We'll be back!Special Features:
- We had looked forward to eatingimagoDined on 9/4/2010We had looked forward to eating at this new restaurant, but were disappointed overall and wouldn't return. The newly decorated space is pleasant, and the waiters are trying, but the food, while good, is ordinary. My measurement is if I could prepare the dish myself at home. In this case, I could. So I don't return to restaurants that don't offer outstanding food consistently (like Rivoli). We also were disappointed that the wine list doesn't include more good wines for $30 or less. We are an older retired middle-class couple, but we couldn't afford to eat out each week if we had to pay over $30 for a bottle of wine. The one $28 bottle of white that was available was too sweet. So very disappointing.
- We had a late reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2010We had a late reservation, and while the food was very good, the service at that point seemed to be a bit of an afterthought. Water didn't come for 10 minutes, we couldn't find our waiter when we needed him, etc. However, my stellar cocktail might have made up for the unfortunate service.Special Features:
- Attentive service, good food,JazzfanDined on 9/2/2010Attentive service, good food, energetic atmosphere. My table of 4 people enjoyed everything they had (appetizers or entrees, plus wine and dessert). Only drawback: somewhat limited menu. Not the range of choices one might hope for, especially compared to the sample menu the restaurant posts online. p.s. excellent location - on the same block as downtown Berkeley BART station, and just up the street from Berkeley Repertory Theater, Aurora Theatre, Freight and Salvage, and across the street from Half Price Books and virtually next door to Naia Gelateria. (also within relatively easy walking distance from Cal Performances shows at Zellerbach Hall on UC Berkeley campus)
- The restaurant is dimly litBrunoBVIPDined on 9/1/2010The restaurant is dimly lit on purpose, but as a result it does not work so well for people who need light in order to read a menu. So my friends all took out their cell phones and held them over the menu in order to discern what was being offered. Once we did discern the offerings, we found that the selections were a bit odd. There seemed not to be main plates, so that made us think perhaps this was tapas. But then there were a few odd main plates, and large salads, so we concluded it was a restaurant. But there were no simple salads for a first course, and it was difficult to figure out what to pair with what. The restaurant needs a more coherent menu. My tuna plate was excellent, as were the desserts. This place still finding its way.Special Features:
- Our experience was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/28/2010Our experience was great. I hope they can sustain the quality it was wonderful to see that space open for another restaurant and an excellent one.Special Features:
- Service was very good, butTrueheartDined on 8/27/2010Service was very good, but wait staff overloaded. Could have used another bartender, made for slow bar. A little noisy, but would definitely go back. Food very good.
- I'm a long-time Venus regular.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2010I'm a long-time Venus regular. The food is as good or better at Revival, but the service is not as good.
- I took my daughter, daughter-in-lawOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2010I took my daughter, daughter-in-law and grandchild (age 8 months)for an early dinner. We all enjoyed the gazpacho. The vegetarian meal was delicious, and the other two meals (steak and halibut)were excellent. Our server made astute wine recommendations and was helpful with the needs of my granddaughter. We shared three different desserts, and all were mouthwateringly perfect. Kudos to the chef and her staff!Special Features:
- Started with corn okra fritterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2010Started with corn okra fritter and they are delicious, entre was serloin steak also very good and dessert was a sundae just fair would not order again. Service is good both host and wait staff all very friendly. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fabulous cocktail -- MoscowLeslieDined on 8/24/2010Fabulous cocktail -- Moscow Mule used my favorite vodka, Russian Standard. Ratings might have been impacted because it was an incredibly hot day and although the restaurant is air conditioned, it was still very warm.
- A fairly new rest. with someOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/22/2010A fairly new rest. with some kinks to work out. Especially with the service which was friendly but not very effecient.
- Every thing was tasty butmpingosVIPDined on 8/22/2010Every thing was tasty but atad bit salty. the waiter & the chef were very acommodating of all my partner's many food allergies, even willing to make a subsitution on their Sunday night supperSpecial Features:
- What a pleasant surprise!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2010What a pleasant surprise!!!! I was visiting the bay area for the weekend and only wanted to visit "local ingredient" restaurants. I had no idea that Revival had been open for such a short time as I had "struck gold". The food was amazing and the service was just the right amount of attention. They were very sensitive to the fact that we had to leave for a concert at the Greek-they got us out of there without making us feeling rushed. Take your friends and family!!!!Special Features:
- We stumbled upon revival throughOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2010We stumbled upon revival through open table and I was very impressed. I loved their attention to high quality, local, organic ingredients. The dishes were imaginative and delicious. The spring fling cocktail was one of the best cocktails I have had recently, excluding our homemade margaritas. I'm excited to go back and try other dishes.Special Features:
- This sister to Venus has takenjaz2020VIPDined on 8/13/2010This sister to Venus has taken over the old Downtown space. I hate Venus' cramped, noisy bldg but love their food. Conversely, this large space is not well covered by careless waitstaff, leading to lapses. Chef is very skilled - cilantro pesto with goat chops was superlative - but occasionally over-aggressive with too many strong competing flavors. Triple pig plate sank under thyme-laden potato gratin, fennel-cilantro overcooked loin, pickled okra and parsley-anchovy sauce; all competing unpleasantly with one another. Halibut was wonderful! Hanger steak had no starch which was odd, but still very good. Desserts are excellent, very large so should be shared. Not perfect, but we will be back as what was good, was very good indeed!Special Features:
- Most of the food we ate hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2010Most of the food we ate here was exceptionally good. The service, however, was quite slow, especially when we were done eating. Our waiter didn't appear for almost half an hour after we were done. But its hard to know whether this was standard for the restaurant, or just one unresponsive waiter. I'd definitely try this restaurant again!Special Features:
- I had a really great mealmetooVIPDined on 8/7/2010I had a really great meal at Revival. Soup of pork and goat meatballs in an astringent broth was a special and a special way to begin a meal. Heirloom tomato salad was one of the most memorable plates of food I have had in recent memory. They really know how to source vegetables and present them properly. Halibut was perfectly seared and served atop good mashed potatoes. But the star of this plate were some incredible mushrooms. Being a new place service is still working out some kinks but was generally good.Special Features:
- Excellent drinks and appetizers.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2010Excellent drinks and appetizers. Salads are a must at this fresh from the farm location. Limited vegetarian entrees-one pasta and it was way salty. However, they quickly made up with an incredible dessert menu. Overall great place that I have recommended to friends and would gladly return.Special Features:
- We dined last night at RevivalOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/31/2010We dined last night at Revival after hearing some good and some less than good reviews. Our impression was that the service was very kind and attentive (thank you, David) and the food was well prepared and really very good. We started with cocktails and those were also well prepared and enjoyable. We will be back.Special Features:
- The food was absolutely delicious!LynnHPDined on 7/30/2010The food was absolutely delicious! Service was impeccable. Husband had the halibut, scrumptious. I had the veggie pasta, also good. Atmosphere nice though a bit loud. But husband has bad hearing, so that's just life.
- The food was fine, but thenikbarDined on 7/27/2010The food was fine, but the service was poor. First of all, I requested a 7pm reservation and was told it would have to be 6:45. At 6:45 and 7 the restaurant was virtually empty: I felt as if I had been manipulated. More seriously, when the entrees were delivered, my wife was served something she had not ordered. The waiter took it away, and she had to wait at least 15 minutes for the pig plate she had ordered. There was no apology, no attempt to compensate (with a complementary dessert, for example). And though there were very few customers on this Tuesday evening, it was repeatedly difficult to get the attention of our waiter. Despite the quality of the food, the service will make me hesitant to dine here again.
- The decor and ambiance areOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/24/2010The decor and ambiance are wonderful. The staff is very friendly. With that, I had great hopes for my meal. Sadly, the kitchen does not rise to the standards of the staff or atmosphere. I wanted to love the food but was disappointed.
- Bravo, Revival! This restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2010Bravo, Revival! This restaurant is whimsically and creatively decorated. The fixtures and lighting are magnificent. The food is REAL. No packaged commercial products. More restaurants should serve the quality product (and I assure you; service is the product too!) that Revival does. Their motto seems to be, "from farm to fork." We will be back.Special Features:
- Our second visit to RevivalMichaelDonnerVIPDined on 7/23/2010Our second visit to Revival was a very good experience. Our first time was mixed. Although I appreciated the very creative, locally sourced menu. Some dishes were excellent, others ho hum. This time everything was clicking, including the service. A watermelon salad, goat merguez soup with meatballs and pork four ways demonstrated the range of Amy Murray's skills and kitchen. The goat meatballs in the soup were dense, chewy and delicious. The pork belly confit was rich and flavorful. Revival is a welcome addition to the East Bay dining scene.Special Features:
- We had a pre-theater dinnermwkoaktownDined on 7/23/2010We had a pre-theater dinner with five adults and a 9 month old baby. The food is very good, and the service was excellent with our waiter very considerate of the 9 month old. Knowing that we have show tickets, everything was served in a timely manner. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The Pig Plate was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2010The Pig Plate was delicious as was the duck. They have interesting alcoholic drinks. The wait staff was very attentive and accommodating.Special Features: