2102 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.revivalbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 5105499950
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00-10:00pm
Sundays 5:00- 9:30
Late Night Menu Thursday, Friday & Saturday 10:00-11:00
Happy Hour Tuesday-Friday 3:00-6:00
Live music on Thursday nights!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Amy Murray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Revival Bar + Kitchen provides excellent and innovative lunch box catering in downtown Berkeley. We create tasty, and organic menus with generous options for interesting sandwiches, grain salads, vegetable salads, and desserts.
- Entertainment: We are hosting special events on occasion. Please sign up for our email list (via our website). We will send out announcements a few weeks prior to events. Your email will remain confidential.
- Special Events: Revival Bar+Kitchen features culinary, cocktail, and musical events on occasion. Special Artisan Wine Dinners, and Thematic Farmer Menus are our specialty. Sign up for our email list to get notified. Your email will remain confidential.
- Cross Street: Addison
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART is just a few steps away. It's a major hub for AC transit as well.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking may be tight, but there are numerous options for reasonably-priced pay lots within a few blocks. Downtown Berkeley Parking Map link on our website.
A word from Revival Bar+Kitchen
Revival Bar+Kitchen is serving distinctive, locally sourced, farm-to table, snout-to tail, utterly delicious food for dinner. The full bar is mixing original, hand-crafted cocktails, and our bar menu is available to satisfy after-the-show appetites. We have a 40 person private room for everything from business dinners to wedding parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Revival Bar+Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Revival Bar+Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)vibrant bar scene (67)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (48)good for groups (37)romantic (30)notable wine list (23)hot spot (21)late-night find (12)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- a gem near Berkeley BartdbdbDined on 10/19/2014This restaurant represents, indeed, the revival of a space that held once a restaurant that started out good and declined rapidly. Not so, Revival, which has been going strong now for about four or five years. The food is excellent; the wine list not quite notable but interesting and well thought out; many bottles in the 30-50 range and ranging up to about 100 for an excellent Brunello. Ambiance lovely. A bit noisy but one can carry on conversation and the service is amiable and efficient. I like this restaurant.Special Features:
- Very Good DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent spot for dinner in Downtown Berkeley. Can recommend the Duck Breast & Leg Confit, the Pork Chop, and the Plum Gallette for dessert. Not crowded when we arrived at ^PM on a Friday but packed by the time we left.Special Features:
- Berkeley GemZasaSwansonDined on 10/17/2014Revival Bar + Kitchen is quite a delightful find. Share the lamb meatballs and have the Revival Mixed Grill all to yourself. The food and service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodDeniseDined on 10/16/2014Enjoyed the food. We eat here often (before going to the Berkeley Repetory Theater). Service was rather slow this evening (apparently the kitchen was backed up), however service is usually very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place before theater or musicluv2dineVIPDined on 10/15/2014Close to BART, Berkeley Rep and Freight & Salvage. Very comfortable with excellent service, food and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Menu Needs UpdatingLauraDined on 10/11/2014Having enjoyed Revival several times, we decided it would be a good choice to treat my in-laws to dinner. However, we found the menu to be limited and in need of updating. We felt there were not enough choices of entrees and that one or two specials would have solved that issue. 3 out of 4 of us were dissatisfied with the apple fritters; the crust masked the taste of apples - and apples are in season! One of us ordered the lamb and although the taste of the meat was good, the presentation of the lamb on the plate left a lot to be desired; why have limp greens that are difficult to CUT??!! This dish would have been lovely with fresh vegetables and/or a simple grain. The duck entree was considered very good. Service, atmosphere: GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwanDined on 10/10/2014Food is mostly local and seasonal. Food always interesting & so delicious. Go there every visit to Berkeley. Best to make reservations if you are going to the play because it's busy. You can get in without reservations because they also have a large bar seating area tooSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceDaveGeorge7Dined on 10/9/2014We visited this restaurant for the first time on Thursday, Oct. 9th. It is located on the same block as our entertainment venue, Freight and Salvage. We loved the experience! The waiter and staff were at our elbows catering to our every need. The food dishes, which my wife and I shared were prepared to perfection. This included a delicious pumpkin soup, perfectly grilled pork chop, fresh salad with fruit and persimmon, and the locally caught wild salmon. I can see why some reviewers objected to noise levels as the old brick walls and open spaces are reflective of sound. But the noise did not interfere with our conversation even though my wife has hearing difficulties. Our compliments to the chef and wait staff!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemdbdbDined on 10/5/2014Revival is a true neighborhood gem in downtown Berkeley right near the Bart. The food is excellent and the wine list fine, if not quite notable. The bar which opens at four is full of folks having drinks together after work and even eating at the bar later on and the room, while a bit noisy, is not too noisy for comfortable conversation. Service is friendly and competent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for the location-stayed 4 foodnrheidiVIPDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant is across the street from Berkeley Rep theaters, so we went because of its location. We were early, so spent an hour over wine in the bar chatting. Excellent menu - I went with the mixed grill as they do all their own butchering, charcuterie, etc and this was a great way to sample it. Best pork I've eaten. Varied and plentiful menu selections available, nice wine list. Service was tops with a lot of care taken to assure our comfort with timing regarding our curtain time. We will be back often!Special Features:
- Pre Berkeley Rep. faveMarindocVIPDined on 10/1/2014One of few restaurants that has a 5 pm reservation time! It's perfect for cross street, Weds. 7pm theater starts. House designed cocktails as Basil Gimlet are superb. Good pours, spirit selection and bartender knowledge are tops. Waitperson(s) were helpful and knowledgeable- even the new trainee! Share one of the well sized flatbreads, pickle, charcuterie plates or the humungous sized French fries with your drink. Entrees as excellent and nicely plated: medium rare salmon on risotto cake, breast of duck with confit, braised beef. Desserts tend to be on small size- probably OK with ample appetizer and entree varieties. Coffee and teas are great. Try for a seat near the window. Unfortunately no TV to see sporting events. OUR FAVE!!!Special Features:
- Not my favorite!StunningDined on 9/27/2014We simply found the restaurant too loud and the ambience not peaceful or friendly. The food was fine but not wonderful. The coffee intensely strong.Special Features:
- Revival is a personal favoriteElleDined on 9/25/2014We love going here for the cocktails AND the food. It's pretty energetic noise-wise, so I'm not sure I'd say it's for a romantic evening when you want to hear your dinner companion and have deep conversation. But it's a fun place to eat, and we often go here before shows at Berkeley Rep or the Freight and Salvage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for meal before performanceJanrcVIPDined on 9/24/2014Great drink -The Fitzroy. Fun place to come for drink. Great dinner service in time for a performance at Aurora or Berkeley Rep.Special Features:
- Stellar food and serviceContessaDined on 9/23/2014It's always a terrific night out at Revival. The cocktails are perfectly mixed, the food is terrific (LOVED the bresaola this visit), and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014Innovative cuisine, although too much emphasis on red-meat products. Kale and tomato salads were different in a very refreshing and rewarding way. Duck main dish was exceptionally well done.
- Par ExcellanceCapitalistVIPDined on 9/18/2014the food was to die for; the waiter was very pleasant, knowledgeable and friendly; the only negative, and it's a big one, is the Berkeley homeless outside the window; to avoid looking at them, ask for inner seating; the restaurant should be able to do something with the city to move these folks away from the window side of the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the TheaterlopolsbyDined on 9/16/2014excellent supper and so close to Berkeley Rep. It's a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over all awful!happytjDined on 9/14/2014The mixed green salad with about 5 pieces of lettuce and 1 radish and 1 piece of very thin shaved carrot was over priced and the dressing was to strong. The duck was tough and the pork very over cooked and dried out. There were lentils on the pork chop plate that were saturated in pork fat it was unbearable. This awful meal was 85.00 including 1 beer. I really would not recommend this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/10/2014Creative menu, excellent ingredients, superior service -- AND we could hear ourselves talk, early on a Wednesday evening!Special Features:
- Just okayCalfan25Dined on 9/6/2014The staff was very friendly and attentive and did not rush us. The food, however, was just so-so. The lamb was okay, but the portions were small. It was mostly potatoes. The pork chop was also just so-so -- nothing spectacular. The pasta was the same -- nothing to write home about. Was disappointed in the mixed green salad. Too bland. We didn't have dessert -- nothing on the menu looked all that enticing. An okay place to eat after a Cal game.Special Features:
- Great downtown Berkeley dinner spotphotoartist3Dined on 9/6/2014Friendly, unpretentious service and good food and wine. We (two couples) were celebrating two anniversaries and felt warmly welcomed. The restaurant was well prepared to get us to our concert on time, but they also let us linger after dessert. Our guests loved their halibut, coconut/melon soup, peach tart and chocolate bombe. We also loved our smoked ham, eggplant flatbread, and duck. The waiter was a great help in choosing a wine.Special Features:
- pretty goodtrustmeDined on 8/24/2014Revival provided good service. There was a nice assortment of starters and the wntres were well prepared and attractively presented. go for the charcuterie.
- First Time's The Charm!ack48Dined on 8/21/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. We chose it for a pre-Greek Theater performance. We had a drink at the bar (mixologist was fabulous and most accommodating!) before being seated at our table for dinner. Our server was delightful and most efficient. She was also very much aware of our theater reservation and served us in a most timely fashion. They have a fabulous wine list and we were delighted with each and every dish we were served. SUPERB!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place overalloutandaboutDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance and full bar was probably the best parts of the restaurant. The food was overall decent, but I wouldn't come here just for that. I was looking for a place that had decent drinks and drinks and moderate noise level for a girls night out, which it fulfilled. My girls and I had a great time catching up. Service was a bit sparse, but we weren't that needy. The decor and lighting were lovely.Special Features:
- Pre-concert dinnerdontgetoutmuchDined on 8/15/2014We chose Revival Bar + Kitchen based on other Yelper's reviews for a special dinner, pre-concert at the Greek Theater. The food was outstanding - we had the Sea Bass, Spare Ribs (best ribs ever!), Roasted Duck (OMG! Incredible!), and the Kale Salad, regrettable only because the other dishes were so phenomenally good. The meats here are the feature - in house butchery and all - and are prepared perfectly. It's a big meal, go hungry! Will definitely be back, probably for 'Fried Chicken Sundays"! Our waiter was awesome, made sure we got our check early and reminded us when it was getting close to showtime... sweet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- at least it was close to BARTJamieFukuisanDined on 8/14/2014pork under cooked, table too small, table needed a tablecloth, you can't put clean silverware on a dirty metal table top, wait staff unfamiliar with what was on the plates being served, I'll go again if someone else buys. Asked for sparkling water and waiter said they had sparkling water on tap, is that new or am I just really old?
- Lovely theatre district restaurantluvfoodDined on 8/12/2014Our waiter was excellent and the food quite delicious. The only complaint was that the mixed meat large plate was on the salty side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice placeLarryVIPDined on 8/12/2014Four of us dined at Revival prior to a recent concert at the Greek Theater. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal, although the service was slow and we ended up in a rush to get to the concert, even though we told the wait staff of our plans. Still, this is a really nice place to eat if your not in a hurry.Special Features:
- tom1938Dined on 8/9/2014Food and service very good. High noise level makes conversation difficult.Special Features:
- enjoyable dinnerKiraDined on 8/9/2014We had a good time at Revival. The cocktails are interesting, the food was very good, the service was great. I look forward to returning another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal.BerkeleyRepDined on 8/8/2014Spectacularly prepared food. Perfect portions. Exquisite desserts. Beyond my expectations!Special Features:
- peterVIPDined on 8/7/2014It is very convenient when attending the Berkeley Rep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousEmc1Dined on 8/3/2014Revival is our go to special occasion restaurant. Great bar. Food always good. Love the kale salad.Special Features:
- Revival YummmphilnjanDined on 7/31/2014Revival saved the day! Our anniversary plans changed and being Berkeley Rep folks, we had been eyeing this lovely dining spot for months. We celebrated our anniversary by having the best feast imaginable - from the very generous "small" charcuterie plate to a memorable Terra Firma tiger baby watermelon salad to the "larger" plates - halibut and mixed grill to a super flavorful sorbet. The service was great - Aaron was always anticipating our needs and was helpful with suggestions. We loved the decor, the romantic ambiance and the seats were so comfortable. We will go back again and again - the very name excites our palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to find something appealingRiverDined on 7/31/2014Strange menu. Limited choices. Poor results. My companion felt the same way. Too bad because restaurant is well located for entertainment.Special Features:
- Close to the theatre, and elegant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014We started with their Greek flatbread which consisted of salami, onions and feta cheese - an outstanding beginning. My wife and her friend had the gnocchi, and it was truly elegant. I had the burger which was perfectly cooked and came with either fries or a side salad (I chose the salad). We shared two desserts. The mini doughnuts, and the key-lime tortes. Both were outstanding, but my favorite was the doughnut dish which was freshly made (our server indicated it would be an additional 15 minutes - but certainly worth the wait.). There was a modest but more than sufficient wine list, and outstanding coffee at the end. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Gift certificate recipientPumaIIIDined on 7/30/2014A gift certificate that languished in a drawer for some years was finally redeemed and led to one of our most memorable meals we have experienced in the Bay Area. Service was excellent. It was obvious that several staff had an eye on our table and checked with us appropriately without making us feel hovered over. Cocktails were festive and contained novel ingredients. The food was fabulous and innovatively prepared. We tried a variety of dishes including house made charcuterie, duck confit flat bread, curly kale salad and a most extraordinary Farallon Island black cod, by far the most perfectly cooked fish ever experienced. The menu changes constantly to take advantage of the freshest and most desirable of local ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchFlipperVIPDined on 7/29/2014Went to dinner before show at Berkeley Rep. Food out of this world. The heirloom tomato salad was the best I ever had. The duck pate served with gherkins, onion, mustard and chutney was a great first choice. The duck was tender, rare (as I ordered) and just the right amount. In fact all portions were substantial but not overwhelming. The service was a little slow but we easily made the show. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to bebellbellDined on 7/26/2014We've been coming to Revival since 2011 and there's been a definate decline in the quality of food as well as the service. In the early days, the food was high quality and the wait staff was enthusiastic about their jobs. I was there Saturday and our bartender seemed distracted and focused on activities other than serving customers. In fact, she sort of seemed to avoid the customers who were at the bar with us, doing things that didn't appear as important as serving patrons like wiping an already clean counter and moving glasses - mere inches - on the bar behind her. As we sat down for dinner, our server had what I could only describe as this mild sneer on his face, like he couldn't wait to leave for the night. Revival needs reviving!