111 East 29th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restonyc.com/
- Phone: 2126855585x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 11:30pm
Saturday 10:00am - 11:30pm
Sunday 10:00am - 10:30pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Preston Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We have Movable Feast Available. See more at www.restonyc.com
- Special Events: We hold monthly beer dinners and offer large format feasts. Nose to tail dining featuring pigs, lambs, and goats. restonyc.com/largeformatfeasts.asp
A word from Resto
Resto, French slang for casual restaurant, opened its doors in April 2007. The concept of a laid back neighborhood gathering place with approachable Belgian food in the style of New York, was created by the owner, Christian Pappanicholas. Resto has become a destination in Gramercy Park/Murray Hill for a delicious dinner, weekend brunch or a late night bite. The knowledgeable and friendly staff is well versed in the extensive Belgian beer list and the thoughtful wine list which focuses on a selection of French, Italian and Spanish wines. The menu is crafted using traditional French technique, with an emphasis on seasonal, mostly local, farm fresh ingredients. Resto prides itself on elements like a revolving seasonal menu as well as large format plates such as Cote De Boeuf, Whole Roasted Pig or Lamb. Resto's dining room can accommodate 75 guests with 12 seats at the bar where we encourage full dining. We also have our baby brother "The Cannibal" next door; a retail beer & butcher shop.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGastro Pub
Resto reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (18)great for brunch (15)romantic (10)special occasion (10)great for lunch (10)hot spot (10)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good RestoZooroDined on 10/7/2014I have been pleasantly surprised on every level from greeting to the service the portions were a good sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAmySVIPDined on 10/4/2014Beers were really expensive, food was ok but not something I would want to come back to. I ordered the muscles and they were flavorless. My husband had the chicken which seemed to be ok.Special Features:
- great find for lunchAnExpatWifeVIPDined on 9/29/2014I met a girlfriend here for lunch on a quite Monday. There were only a few other diners in when we arrived and a table of 7 arrived shortly afterwards. Service was good and the food was excellent. It was the kind of restaurant I would happily go to alone and not feel intimidated. It is not too big that you are lost in the crowd but also not so small that you are surrounded by couples. I had spagetti with ham and egg and as a bit of a fried egg expert my only criticism would be that the egg was a bit too crunchy on the bottom (oil was too hot). apart from that everything else was perfect.Special Features:
- Service needs a little workniccleeDined on 9/27/2014Service was a little slow and inattentive. It took a while to get our coffee and tea. And the waiter forgot a side order we had requested. We kept having to ask for water. However, the food was good and the price was reasonable. It's a nice brunch spot.Special Features:
- gingerchefDined on 9/14/2014The food was delicious and beautiful to look out but for the small plates i feel they were a bit overpriced especially because of their size and when my large plate came out, it was turning cold rather quick. The desserts were the cherry on top of the night and the two waiters we had, knew so much about the food and the drinks menu and was so helpful! The whole decor of the place was very farm to table, a lot of rustic wood work and dark colored walls but in front the sun was still shining so it really made the place feel bright, warm, and inviting and it was so nice to look at the little garden they had in front which really made you know they do care about their ingredients and where they come from. I cant wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Best meal I've had in a long timeEatWellVIPDined on 9/6/2014Two of us decided to sample half the menu. No misses! The standouts: deviled eggs on pork toast, squid ink pasta and baby lamb ribs. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, not so good servicenewyorker212Dined on 9/6/2014Went here for brunch with a group of 4 before 12 so the restaurant wasn't too crowded. Our entrees were delicious however two at our table noticed that their breakfast sandwiches only had bacon one one half of the sandwich and not the other (?). Service was very spotty and not very good. At one time a server came out and took one persons drink order but not for the rest of us. We had to constantly ask for drinks, utensils, etc. throughout the meal because we were never asked/offered by the staff. I hope that this was a one time glitch in their service because the food was great but it felt weird to constantly wait/ask for service throughout the 90 minutes we were there.Special Features:
- fun food, fun environment.mursDined on 8/31/2014we've eaten here several times. the food is always delicious. try the kale salad, radishes, grilled chicken entree, and everything we've had for brunch has been incredible. the service is suitable, not overwhelmingly warm but nice enough. the ambiance tends to be energetic with lots of people and good music for dinner. downside - the temperature is inconsistent.. too warm or too cold. as a tequila drinker, the cocktail menu falls shy of serving my taste and the wine by the glass menu is limited. however, the wine I have enjoyed was very nice. great restaurant for the area. it's becoming our go-to sunday brunch and dinner spot.Special Features:
- disappointedbrovenDined on 8/31/2014I made the reservation as it was associated with Cannibal which was full, and it appeared to have menu items that my kids would like. Yes, it was Labor Day weekend and things were quiet, but the attitude we received was uncalled for. The food was tasty but for my entree, barely an appetizer portion at $25. Admittedly the steak frites was very good and the kids loved them. Unfortunately we got attitude from everyone. In fact, after our server first came up and I asked a question about a menu item, his response prompted my wife to say, "Boy was he a d**k." It didn't get a whole lot better after that. To their credit, I think Resto is good for older couples/groups that know the restaurant and the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Fine Belgian night spotinwoodartDined on 8/30/2014The best thing about Resto is their extensive Belgian beer menu. Best in town. The food was fine as well. There were a couple of glitches in the service. The waitress was too pushy for my taste, and then when we ordered a second round of beers, they never came. And then they were on the bill. But they were gracious about taking them off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- near-perfect burgerAtematicVIPDined on 8/29/2014The deviled eggs on square bitterballen and beers got our lunch rolling nicely, but the burger...oh the burger. This is a perfectly-sized pork and beef blend patty, not obscenely huge, crisp on the outside, moist and exploding with flavor inside, with a fried egg, pickle, and gruyere on top. It is beautifully balanced, exuberant, delicious... Resto has a great laid-back vibe, ideal for enjoying good company with their excellent beer offerings and food, which all enhanced the experience of The Burger. I am smiling remembering it two days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our mealSwagleDined on 8/28/2014Had the best waiter who filled our glasses before we ever had to ask; also great recommendations. Really enjoyable and off the beaten path.Special Features:
- Yummy.CatcherVIPDined on 8/24/2014Good excellent. Service great except when I pointed out the cocktail special for brunch ( 7$ ) add on. The service asked the manager and the manager stated it had been discountineud but made no contact or effort to us as customers. I did tell the server that was part of the reason we came. Great find though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanNanDined on 8/16/2014Mussels, great portion and in a great broth but the actual size of them on the small side. Burgers somewhat over cooked but great char on them and the fries, just salty enough and delicious. Fair selection of wines and overall, a good local joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh Wow - still happy!conversationalistVIPDined on 8/7/2014The greeting was lovely and felt very genuine; I was shown to a nice table but given a choice of another. I was treated like a valued guest, and the menu was explained to me in a genuinely interesting way - the wine by the glass were reasonable for NYC - but exceptional in taste. The food - how to describe the peach tomato gazpacho with crab? Or the lamb roasted in heaven? Or the corn off the cob with lemon basil and a poached egg? I was glad food was paced not too fast because the space was fun, with lots to look at, and I wanted to savor every bite. The staff were conscious of the space available to them and I loved their choreography of motion; each member was responsible for a part of the restaurant, but aware of/cared for every table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKdinerDined on 8/6/2014I was not blown away at all. The service was great but the portions were way too small and they have a mushroom dish on their menu which was inedible! I probably wouldn't recommend this place, nor would I go back. Sorry!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceCammie22Dined on 8/6/2014The service here is amazing. The waiter was very knowledgeable and so friendly and helpful. The food was delicious. We were there for restaurant week. We had the country pate which was delicious and was a fairly large portion. For entree, I had the crispy pork belly. It melted in my mouth. For dessert, we both had the chocolate sundae. It was amazing! We had the beer pairings and every beer paired perfectly with each dish. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- foodieDined on 7/29/2014The ambiance is very nice. The beer list is excellent. The food portions were to small. However, the desserts are delicious. The service was very goodSpecial Features:
- Good drinks/apps, average entreesjeanlucDined on 7/26/2014Nice setting. Good martinis, extensive beer/wine list. Appetizers are pretty good. Decent service. Entrees are small and underwhelming - bland chicken, bland steak. This is a good place to come to get fries and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kentVIPDined on 7/15/2014Excellent local food offerings and a great and creative cocktail list. On the flip side, the noise level is through the roof , so be prepared to not do too much conversing with your party and say "what, I can't hear you" a lot !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BogartBogartDined on 7/6/2014Fantastic hostess who had incredible knowledge of beer and wine list, took us on personal tour of Cannibal next door (where we bought more). Very friendly staff who obviously like where they work. There for brunch and some v creative items on menu. Would return for dinnerSpecial Features:
- great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious and the price was right! We both had sandwiches which came with sides and it was perfect. The server was also very nice. It was a relaxed atmosphere, my friend and I talked nonstop, it was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great nightVondelayDined on 6/28/2014I went to dinner here on Saturday night and it was amazing. Solid cocktail list, great beers, over 20 wines. For appetizers we had the pigs head cheese terrine which was amazing, deviled eggs on top of fried shredded pork square, side of mushrooms (the only dish I wasn't crazy about), and a side of radishes, amazing. Entrees: flank steak, pork, chicken. Steak perfectly cooked. Pork was good, loved the bean topping. Chicken was extremely tender and juicy, delicious carrots. Ended the night with a cappuccino. Next time we go I'd love to share the 60oz lamb dish, saw another table get it and it looked fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 855 reviews are from the Resto reviews archive.
- juicyDined on 6/24/2014Great beer selection; helpful and friendly wait staff; unique and tasty menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC20somethingNYCfoodieDined on 6/23/2014Resto didn't have my reservation from open table- open table should confirm their reservations are working but it was a very quiet night and we got seated immediately.
- Good food and attentive stafflove2dineDined on 6/18/2014Found a delightful restaurant. This was our last night in new York . Well worth the visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but needs some workAmPeasVIPDined on 6/14/2014I liked this place; the service was friendly and attentive (which, for New York, is a nice touch, I suppose). I just felt like the folks should actually eat the food and see what they think. For example, the tuna sandwich was delightful, except the bread was so hard it flew out of the diner's mouth. Onto another diner's plate. I find this a common phenomenon with very young, current restaurants, who are great on concept, but it's as though they haven't really eaten much. Given that, I thought Resto was a place that could very easily rise above this. I hope they do!
- Brunch was suspectDJRAwayVIPDined on 6/1/2014Service very slow for Sun brunch . My waffles were dry & overcooked. My husband has a lamb bacon special that was actually very good. Will try it he restaurant again. Neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014Went on Sunday 1st June, had a fantastic meal and the service was excellentSpecial Features:
- Good dinner spotMrCEVIPDined on 5/28/2014I really enjoyed my meal at Resto. Had a bunch of veggies as appetizers and the pork shoulder for dinner. Everything was very good. Only complaint was the restaurant was a bit loud. Other than that, great place.Special Features:
- LovelyAshleyDined on 5/19/2014I always enjoy Resto. It feels considered in every regard--the decor, the menu, the general ambiance. Delicious and reliable. Nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hit or missPeterVIPDined on 5/16/2014This is a great restaurant for brunch. had i only come for brunch i would have given the place 5 stars, however i came for dinner one night and the food was rather disappointing. I ordered the pork shoulder. It had no flavor. It was bland, and greasy and just not enjoyable. I took it home b/c i felt bad throwing it out as i did not eat much. but when i tried to eat it the next day it was even worse and i ended up throwing it out. skip the dinners here and go for brunch or lunch. Deviled Eggs is definitely their best and most prized dish. also great bloody maries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerLittleAmyDined on 5/12/2014This little spot was suggested by a friend and did not disappoint. The dishes are delicious and not fussy or overdone. Just honestly good food. We had a collection of small plates and split an entree. Lots of well prepared meats and the deviled eggs on pork toast are worth at least 2 orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Only one word : Great ! It was delicious and amazing. A nice moment ...Special Features:
- excellent service!dpatriVIPDined on 5/6/2014Our waiter was delightful. Absolutely made our meal! Food was great. Interesting new flavours I enjoyed. Neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always good foodopinionatedVIPDined on 4/29/2014The food is consistently good, but the service was a little off. the waiter was very earnest, no sense of humor. And, when they were out of the wine we ordered he recommended one $25 more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro wowsEire33Dined on 4/24/2014Disaapointed, beer was slow to be served changing keg caused 20 minute delay, food delayed also.Dinner Served in 50 minutes after speaking to manager. Beer was comped. Shrimp app was cold, mussels anf fries and Kale salad were good however. Food service needs to get coordinated so that it does not negatively impact the qualityof the food and drink.Special Features:
- Great dinner for a groupVivianDined on 4/13/2014We had a group of eight, including two children (6 and 8), and went to Resto on a Sunday night at 6:30 pm. Service was delightful, and we had a fantastic meal of the cote de boeuf and lamb shoulder, both for the table, along with a number of vegetable side dishes, all very nice, especially the mushrooms. They didn't rush us to turn the table, and we had a delicious, relaxed, leisurely meal with plenty of time to catch up and enjoy each other's company. The lamb was rather overcooked for my taste, but I suspect we had a stealth orderer at the table who asked for well-done. I especially enjoyed the music mix they had going, and the volume was perfect -- you could hear it, but you didn't have to scream over it to talk to tablemates.Special Features:
- cute trendy cozynatalieDined on 3/22/2014we shared the lamb shoulder. There is plenty to feed three! would come back to try something else. This place is good for a date night or just to come with friends. One odd thing was we walked in and the hostess was having a conversation with another coworker at the restaurant and told us to wait. We watched them have a mini conversation and stood there and waited for like two minutes until she sat us. That was really weird.. and kind of rude. We were very dumbfounded.Special Features:
- Great brunch!suthersVIPDined on 3/22/2014This place is great! I usually come to their adjoining bar (cannibal) for beers and snacks but the restaurant is defo worth checking out. The lamb gyro is beautiful and the baked eggs were loved by the other half. Bloody Mary was pretty solid too!!! AND they take those all to hard to get brunch reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.