111 East 29th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restonyc.com/
- Phone: 2126855585x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 11:30pm
Saturday 10:00am - 11:30pm
Sunday 10:00am - 10:30pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Preston Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We have Movable Feast Available. See more at www.restonyc.com
- Special Events: We hold monthly beer dinners and offer large format feasts. Nose to tail dining featuring pigs, lambs, and goats. restonyc.com/largeformatfeasts.asp
A word from Resto
Resto, French slang for casual restaurant, opened its doors in April 2007. The concept of a laid back neighborhood gathering place with approachable Belgian food in the style of New York, was created by the owner, Christian Pappanicholas. Resto has become a destination in Gramercy Park/Murray Hill for a delicious dinner, weekend brunch or a late night bite. The knowledgeable and friendly staff is well versed in the extensive Belgian beer list and the thoughtful wine list which focuses on a selection of French, Italian and Spanish wines. The menu is crafted using traditional French technique, with an emphasis on seasonal, mostly local, farm fresh ingredients. Resto prides itself on elements like a revolving seasonal menu as well as large format plates such as Cote De Boeuf, Whole Roasted Pig or Lamb. Resto's dining room can accommodate 75 guests with 12 seats at the bar where we encourage full dining. We also have our baby brother "The Cannibal" next door; a retail beer & butcher shop.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGastro Pub
Resto reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (29)good for groups (14)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (13)notable wine list (10)romantic (8)hot spot (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DanNanDined on 8/16/2014Mussels, great portion and in a great broth but the actual size of them on the small side. Burgers somewhat over cooked but great char on them and the fries, just salty enough and delicious. Fair selection of wines and overall, a good local joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh Wow - still happy!conversationalistVIPDined on 8/7/2014The greeting was lovely and felt very genuine; I was shown to a nice table but given a choice of another. I was treated like a valued guest, and the menu was explained to me in a genuinely interesting way - the wine by the glass were reasonable for NYC - but exceptional in taste. The food - how to describe the peach tomato gazpacho with crab? Or the lamb roasted in heaven? Or the corn off the cob with lemon basil and a poached egg? I was glad food was paced not too fast because the space was fun, with lots to look at, and I wanted to savor every bite. The staff were conscious of the space available to them and I loved their choreography of motion; each member was responsible for a part of the restaurant, but aware of/cared for every table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKdinerDined on 8/6/2014I was not blown away at all. The service was great but the portions were way too small and they have a mushroom dish on their menu which was inedible! I probably wouldn't recommend this place, nor would I go back. Sorry!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceCammie22Dined on 8/6/2014The service here is amazing. The waiter was very knowledgeable and so friendly and helpful. The food was delicious. We were there for restaurant week. We had the country pate which was delicious and was a fairly large portion. For entree, I had the crispy pork belly. It melted in my mouth. For dessert, we both had the chocolate sundae. It was amazing! We had the beer pairings and every beer paired perfectly with each dish. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- foodieDined on 7/29/2014The ambiance is very nice. The beer list is excellent. The food portions were to small. However, the desserts are delicious. The service was very goodSpecial Features:
- Good drinks/apps, average entreesjeanlucDined on 7/26/2014Nice setting. Good martinis, extensive beer/wine list. Appetizers are pretty good. Decent service. Entrees are small and underwhelming - bland chicken, bland steak. This is a good place to come to get fries and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kentDined on 7/15/2014Excellent local food offerings and a great and creative cocktail list. On the flip side, the noise level is through the roof , so be prepared to not do too much conversing with your party and say "what, I can't hear you" a lot !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BogartBogartDined on 7/6/2014Fantastic hostess who had incredible knowledge of beer and wine list, took us on personal tour of Cannibal next door (where we bought more). Very friendly staff who obviously like where they work. There for brunch and some v creative items on menu. Would return for dinnerSpecial Features:
- great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious and the price was right! We both had sandwiches which came with sides and it was perfect. The server was also very nice. It was a relaxed atmosphere, my friend and I talked nonstop, it was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great nightVondelayDined on 6/28/2014I went to dinner here on Saturday night and it was amazing. Solid cocktail list, great beers, over 20 wines. For appetizers we had the pigs head cheese terrine which was amazing, deviled eggs on top of fried shredded pork square, side of mushrooms (the only dish I wasn't crazy about), and a side of radishes, amazing. Entrees: flank steak, pork, chicken. Steak perfectly cooked. Pork was good, loved the bean topping. Chicken was extremely tender and juicy, delicious carrots. Ended the night with a cappuccino. Next time we go I'd love to share the 60oz lamb dish, saw another table get it and it looked fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- juicyDined on 6/24/2014Great beer selection; helpful and friendly wait staff; unique and tasty menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC20somethingNYCfoodieDined on 6/23/2014Resto didn't have my reservation from open table- open table should confirm their reservations are working but it was a very quiet night and we got seated immediately.
- Good food and attentive stafflove2dineDined on 6/18/2014Found a delightful restaurant. This was our last night in new York . Well worth the visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but needs some workAmPeasVIPDined on 6/14/2014I liked this place; the service was friendly and attentive (which, for New York, is a nice touch, I suppose). I just felt like the folks should actually eat the food and see what they think. For example, the tuna sandwich was delightful, except the bread was so hard it flew out of the diner's mouth. Onto another diner's plate. I find this a common phenomenon with very young, current restaurants, who are great on concept, but it's as though they haven't really eaten much. Given that, I thought Resto was a place that could very easily rise above this. I hope they do!
- Brunch was suspectDJRAwayVIPDined on 6/1/2014Service very slow for Sun brunch . My waffles were dry & overcooked. My husband has a lamb bacon special that was actually very good. Will try it he restaurant again. Neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014Went on Sunday 1st June, had a fantastic meal and the service was excellentSpecial Features:
- Good dinner spotMrCEVIPDined on 5/28/2014I really enjoyed my meal at Resto. Had a bunch of veggies as appetizers and the pork shoulder for dinner. Everything was very good. Only complaint was the restaurant was a bit loud. Other than that, great place.Special Features:
- LovelyAshleyDined on 5/19/2014I always enjoy Resto. It feels considered in every regard--the decor, the menu, the general ambiance. Delicious and reliable. Nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hit or missPeterVIPDined on 5/16/2014This is a great restaurant for brunch. had i only come for brunch i would have given the place 5 stars, however i came for dinner one night and the food was rather disappointing. I ordered the pork shoulder. It had no flavor. It was bland, and greasy and just not enjoyable. I took it home b/c i felt bad throwing it out as i did not eat much. but when i tried to eat it the next day it was even worse and i ended up throwing it out. skip the dinners here and go for brunch or lunch. Deviled Eggs is definitely their best and most prized dish. also great bloody maries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerLittleAmyDined on 5/12/2014This little spot was suggested by a friend and did not disappoint. The dishes are delicious and not fussy or overdone. Just honestly good food. We had a collection of small plates and split an entree. Lots of well prepared meats and the deviled eggs on pork toast are worth at least 2 orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Only one word : Great ! It was delicious and amazing. A nice moment ...Special Features:
- excellent service!dpatriDined on 5/6/2014Our waiter was delightful. Absolutely made our meal! Food was great. Interesting new flavours I enjoyed. Neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 843 reviews are from the Resto reviews archive.
- always good foodopinionatedVIPDined on 4/29/2014The food is consistently good, but the service was a little off. the waiter was very earnest, no sense of humor. And, when they were out of the wine we ordered he recommended one $25 more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro wowsEire33Dined on 4/24/2014Disaapointed, beer was slow to be served changing keg caused 20 minute delay, food delayed also.Dinner Served in 50 minutes after speaking to manager. Beer was comped. Shrimp app was cold, mussels anf fries and Kale salad were good however. Food service needs to get coordinated so that it does not negatively impact the qualityof the food and drink.Special Features:
- Great dinner for a groupVivianDined on 4/13/2014We had a group of eight, including two children (6 and 8), and went to Resto on a Sunday night at 6:30 pm. Service was delightful, and we had a fantastic meal of the cote de boeuf and lamb shoulder, both for the table, along with a number of vegetable side dishes, all very nice, especially the mushrooms. They didn't rush us to turn the table, and we had a delicious, relaxed, leisurely meal with plenty of time to catch up and enjoy each other's company. The lamb was rather overcooked for my taste, but I suspect we had a stealth orderer at the table who asked for well-done. I especially enjoyed the music mix they had going, and the volume was perfect -- you could hear it, but you didn't have to scream over it to talk to tablemates.Special Features:
- cute trendy cozynatalieDined on 3/22/2014we shared the lamb shoulder. There is plenty to feed three! would come back to try something else. This place is good for a date night or just to come with friends. One odd thing was we walked in and the hostess was having a conversation with another coworker at the restaurant and told us to wait. We watched them have a mini conversation and stood there and waited for like two minutes until she sat us. That was really weird.. and kind of rude. We were very dumbfounded.Special Features:
- Great brunch!suthersVIPDined on 3/22/2014This place is great! I usually come to their adjoining bar (cannibal) for beers and snacks but the restaurant is defo worth checking out. The lamb gyro is beautiful and the baked eggs were loved by the other half. Bloody Mary was pretty solid too!!! AND they take those all to hard to get brunch reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- your place for carbs and calories!jeunefilleDined on 3/16/2014Terrific and imaginative brunch menu, Excellent coffee. Attentive but not pushy service -- they let you sit and have a good time. However, the noise level was pretty deafening. I had a hard time understanding the person with whom I was sitting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- way too expensive very littleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014way too expensive very little portions of food go there if you want to leave hungry
- Good for after-work drinksjsheehanDined on 3/11/2014Food was meh, but the drinks were good. Stick to apps.Special Features:
- decentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/9/2014if you can't get a table at penelope, resto is a decent place for brunch. the waiter forgot our order of fries and the food was all mediocre for the price.
- Get a group and order the lambAndrewDined on 3/8/2014Owner Christian Pappanicholas and chef Preston Clark have made this one of my favorite dining destinations in the city. The food and the staff have been consistently top-notch in the near half dozen times I have visited this casual restaurant. With a tight, focused menu, it has been hard to find many flaws in any of the dishes. The lamb shoulder has been my favorite of late. It's succulent and flavorful. It's not cheap but it's well worth the cost and wait since it feeds at least six people with 'normal" appetite. At times the service could be slow especially during peak dinner service. This is offset by a friendly staff and there is always a knowledgeable sommelier-type to aid with drinks/wines.Special Features:
- Wow Great Food!gbbloomDined on 3/5/2014We went in for restaurant week. Their food was absolutely incredible, and they sold us on the idea of heading back. We'll definitely be doing this again. Great servers, very knowledgeable... and when they say to get the deviled eggs, GET THEM!Special Features:
- Wish it was in my neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/26/2014Hits on most notes, lively, great food and drink, spot-on sommelier approach, and competent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice idea but....LoveisfoodDined on 2/26/2014We were really excited to try Resto after reading some nice reviews. Unfortunately, during dinner we knew this would be our first and last visit. The food is okay but is overpriced. There are many superior choices to Resto for brasserie type cuisine and the food did not equate with the overall pricing. It wasn't special enough. The bar looked lively and the bar menu seemed like a better way to experience Resto.Special Features:
- A treatboobyhatchDined on 2/23/2014We had a lovely meal at Resto on Sunday evening as part of restaurant week. The appetizers were very good. My husband raved about the sauce on his fish course. I opted for the wine pairing and the Chardonnay with the pasta was excellent. We plan to return.Special Features:
- Went for restaurant weekGDipaoloDined on 2/21/2014Food was delicious and waiter was wonderful. Wine was perfect and the timing for each course was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Belgian Beer and FoodJonPDined on 2/19/2014I ticked off notable wine list but it is the Belgian and Belgian-style beer list at this place that is really notable. Very great beers presented in a fun way set inside actual books. The food was delicious also. We had a Restaurant Week prix fixe for $38 that came with a tasty pate appetizer, creamy and a little spicy cavatelli entree and a great chocolate cake/ice cream/cookie crumble dessert. Also had the short rib entree, which was fantastic, the haricots verts special with veal ragu (very good), and a bacon apple crisp dessert that was amazing. We were tucked at a table next to the bathroom and kitchen hallway and the tables were close together, leading to more than one person trying to squeeze between to use the restroom though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I especially enjoyed havingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/18/2014I especially enjoyed having my meal at the bar there. Great cocktails Great beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fatty meatJPearlVIPDined on 2/14/2014The flavor of my spare ribs was nice. The beef was cooked beautifully. But it was very fatty. I peeled off layers of thick fat. When an entree is $28 and smaller than my palm, I expect to be able to eat it all. Thank goodness for the frittes and other vegetables we ordered a la cart or I would have left starving.