2 West Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.backdeckboston.com/
- Phone: 6176700320
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Saturday 3:00pm - 11:30pm; Sunday 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Paul Sussman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Back Deck offers professional backyard grilling in a laid-back city setting seven days a week. Friends and family meet for charcoal-grilled favorites inspired by the food served at casual cookouts along with porch-perfect cocktails, beer and wine.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Corcoran 8664171498
- Cross Street: Corner of Washington
- Public Transit: We are conveniently located next to the Downtown Crossing T stop and Silver Line Stop. We are just a short walk from Park Street, Chinatown and State Street stops.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We offer night and weekend parking validation of $2.00 off for local area lots.
A word from Back Deck
Back Deck offers professional backyard grilling in a laid-back city setting seven days a week. Back Deck brings the outdoors inside with details like exterior carriage lighting and glazed brick in the dining room and an open kitchen that invites guests to watch the flame-licked fun. Back serves polished takes on cookout classics as well as dishes cooked over an open flame at homes across the globe. Almost all of the menu is grilled on three hardwood charcoal grills hand-picked to accommodate many differing options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Back Deck reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (34)fit for foodies (22)kid-friendly (21)great for outdoor dining (15)late-night find (13)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (9)special occasion (9)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food was OK. Service wasTheStewardVIPDined on 2/24/2013Food was OK. Service was poor. Server seemed to ignore us once she took order. Would not run back.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2013While I liked the ambiance in the restaurant and the location, I found the food to be very bland. Nothing was horrible--drinks were decent and server was really friendly, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone or have a strong desire to return. Just average.
- Mediocre food and disinterestedfatboyVIPDined on 2/19/2013Mediocre food and disinterested service despite the place being nearly empty. Not worth another visit.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2013The Back Deck provides a very comfortable laid back atmosphere, with a menu that has something for everyone. The burgers and salads are always good, and I'm partial to the various kabob selections. The portions are generous but not overwhelming. The wait staff is always courteous and attentive, and the seating layout provides a fair amount of elbow room. The bar is generously stocked (we dined there with friends recently before seeing Jersey Boys, and my wife enjoyed a locally brewed white ale from Maine that she had not previously tried) and any place that serves a Macallan 12 works for me. I work in the area and have lunch there regularly and I'm never disappointed. I'd recommend The Back Deck to anyone.Special Features:
- Good Burgers. Mediocre Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/17/2013Good food for lunch. Service is a little impersonal - feels very transactional. The servers need a little warmth.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013First time at the restaurant. Had the most marvelous experience - food was FANTASTIC, service ABSOLUTELY GREAT. Looking forward to going back very soon !!!Special Features:
- What a great restaurant, veryDavenhVIPDined on 2/14/2013What a great restaurant, very good food from small plates to burgers or full entrees! Location is perfect so close to Boston Opera House. Staff (especially maitre'd) was a welcomed surprise as we were running late due to snow/traffic - missed our res but he held us on the list & quickly got in. We returned with 2 more couples for dessert a few nights later & still were impressed. Great job folks!Special Features:
- Valentine' Day surprise!AnnieDined on 2/14/2013A delitful surprise so close to the Opera House, Boston Garden and the State House! The food and ambiance were perfect for a pre Tony Bennett dinner and the food did not disappoint! Our waiter was attentive without hovering and was wonderful at suggesting items that may interest us. One of the best surprises was the cost - very afforable and for foodies like us, very enjoyable! Their crab cakes are to die for, and the special dessert for 2 - a meringue heart filled with grand marnier strawberries, topped with whipped cream - Need I say more! Will be back to check out the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- Delicious seafood starterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Delicious seafood starter special on Valentine's Day. Nice atmosphere. Very comfortable and well appointed.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)koanDined on 2/11/2013My grilled plate was dry and not very flavorful. My companions had salads and said they were fine. Nothing exciting though.Special Features:
- This is the second time I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2013This is the second time I've been to Back Deck and both times were great. The first was late night, and we just ordered all the small plates, which were all interesting, beautifully presented and delicious. This time was after the theatre, mid-afternoon on a Sunday. The place filled up after we got there and we hardly noticed, as the noise level did not increase (very important to me) and the service remained attentive. Lunch plates were hearty, we couldn't finish, and the mashed potatoes got a special thumbs up. Service was great, and its fun to watch the city sidewalk activity in this up and coming neighborhood.Special Features:
- Both the host and the waitdctourDined on 2/3/2013Both the host and the wait person were outstanding. They were genuine without being obsequeious, helpful yet did not hover. Among the five of us we had four different meals, and we all were pleased with our selections. We did miss a basket of bread as it seemed to take quite a bit of time between when we placed our order and when it arrived. Since we'd allowed extra time to get to the theater with the questionable weather, time was not a factor. We were hungry, though, and bread or rolls would have mitigated that. (Also it helps if what you've ordered isn't quite as filling as you'd hoped!). We chose the s'mores dessert to share for a "taste" and it we'd not order it again,though we would return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- I'm hooked!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013I originally saw this restaurant on Phantom Gourmet, where they highlighted their delicious wings and their melt-in-your-mouth chicken. I had the Mexicali Burger with their signature punch, and my boyfriend got the chicken with mashed potatoes and grilled zucchini. There is nothing in the world like a charcoal grilled burger, and it was perfect! I will definitely go again and recommend this for anyone who wants some good "back yard grill" eats, but expect much much better than your friend's summer party eats.Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013I was very pleased with this retaurant! Food was VERY good as was the service. Atmosphere was relaxed and outdoorsy. Great for Lunch/Brunch and Pre-theater! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- The service was great, butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2013The service was great, but I didn't like the food. I had beef Kabobs and salad. I didn't like the coating on the kabobs, though they were cooked the way I wanted them. And didn't like the salad dressing. My aunt had a burger and fries that she enjoyed. I like "simple food" and there wasn't anything like that to choos from, other than a burger.Special Features:
- Great place for pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2013Great place for pre-theatre dining. Diverse menu with plenty of options for small plates, salads, sandwiches/burgers or entrees. Better quality food than many of the other restaurants in this area at this price point, and the cocktail & wine options were very good and well-priced. Our server was excellent: friendly, helpful with answering questions about the menu, and very efficient/fast in getting us served and out the door in time for curtain. Wouldn't necessarily go there for a "fine dining" experience, but if you're in the theatre district and want a good meal at a reasonable price, then this is a great choice.Special Features:
- Bartender is friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/30/2013Bartender is friendly and the vibe is great! Me and my girlfriend went for an after-work drinks, and we definitely want to go back!Special Features:
- great food and service - perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013great food and service - perfect timing for a show after dinner
- This is a very nice place,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013This is a very nice place, ideal for pre- or post-theatre dining. It's very close to the opera House. The grilled entrees are very good.Special Features:
- Great BurgerNichanDined on 1/25/2013Went on a Friday during lunch hour and they were not that busy. Service was very good as was the food. My son and I both had the Muffaletta Burger done medium and both were cooked perfect.Special Features:
- Great find downtown - a reallywestenderVIPDined on 1/23/2013Great find downtown - a really fun idea to have an all grilled menu. It was nice on a cold evening, and I am sure it will be even better in warmer weather with all the windows open. Good food, and the server was nice and friendly.Special Features:
- The food was pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/22/2013The food was pretty good, but I hated the small deep plates they served the food it. It was hard just getting to the food it was wedged in there so tight. I like my food to have room to breathe. The menu was fairly limited it seemed too. I expected more bbq favorites.
- Great food. Fun atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013Great food. Fun atmosphere. Good service. My boyfriend and I had a lovely time at the back deck. The Perfect Chicken was indeed perfect. We also had the butternut squash soup which was very tasty and a decent portion size. My boyfriend ordered the MexiCali burger which came in a small red basket that was overflowing with the burger and fries. For 14$, the burger was nothing special but still good. We also split a pitcher of the house punch which was good but a lot for the two of us to finish. They didn't hurry us out the door as we casually finished our drinks, which was very nice.Special Features:
- Great weekday lunch spot (postChrispieDined on 1/4/2013Great weekday lunch spot (post holidays). Good food/ menu quick, friendly service for biz lunches. Could have used something like comp bread or rollsSpecial Features:
- Food was out of this world!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/26/2012Food was out of this world! I will surely be retuning =)Special Features:
- The Back Deck is okay as aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012The Back Deck is okay as a convenient place to go before or after theater. But the food is not especially good -- for example, way too much dry pita bread on the "wrap" sandwich, unpleasant tasting cole slaw, bland potato salad. The ambience and service are okay. I saw several other groups with children (as I was) there, and I expect convenience after the Nutcracker was the primary reason.
- There was not enough choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2012There was not enough choices on the menu and the portions weren't very big for what you pay. I was surprised that the large plates did not have a salad or side come with it. I had to buy a side of fries for $4 because the original portion just wasn't filling enough. Enjoyed the Back Deck beer. I did like that I was able to make a reservation online.Special Features:
- Good for a quick dinner pre-theaterAnonymousDined on 12/14/2012Good for a quick dinner pre-theater; we were seated quickly and food came out promptly.Special Features:
- Don't BotherOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/9/2012Caesar salad and grilled wings were very good, but everything else (shrimp, hash, bratwurst) were just OK. Cold sauerkraut (right out of the fridge) for the brat was the last straw. Drinks were terrible, had to send one back. With so many other options, don't bother.Special Features:
- A pleasant, open space, largejdeeVIPDined on 12/8/2012A pleasant, open space, large windows giving a glimpse up to the sky and rooftops and, with the deck-furniture decor, succeeding pretty well in creating a "back deck" ambiance. Food following the grill theme was well done and nicely flavored and spiced.Special Features:
- We were in a rush to see aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/7/2012We were in a rush to see a show and they got us seated and waited on immediately. The food was petty good and reasonably priced. Wait staff was very accomodative. Good, no-nonsense choice for the family.Special Features:
- We stopped by late after aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012We stopped by late after a concert, and while tempted by the entrees, just ordered, frankly, everything off the small plate menu. They were all great, nice variety, and just enough dressed greens on each plate that we felt justified in getting an order of very tasty fries - nice fat slices - to go with it. Unobtrusive, but friendly attentive service, and we were very pleased with the by the glass wine. We will definitely go back to try both brunch and a full dinner. Great location!Special Features:
- Very nice ambiance for familyTakeoutDined on 11/30/2012Very nice ambiance for family dinner. Quiet and quant setting. Food was yummy!Special Features:
- was there for a lunch meeting.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2012was there for a lunch meeting. The sandwiches and burgers were great. Server was prompt and attentive.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/17/2012While Back Deck is still a new restaurant and has some kinks to work out, certain things should always be in place. The ambiance was great, actually felt like you were on someones back deck. But what the restaurant had in ambiance it lacked everywhere else. I got the Back deck Manhattan as my drink. It tasted watered down and I was able to gulp down what should have been straight bourbon. The grilled hot wings were not very spicy, and were oily. The ribs were rip off the bone, not fall off the bone. Took about 10 minutes to get our check and then another 10 minutes for the waitress to run the CC. While I usually like to give a new restaurant two tries, I don't think Back Deck is going to get a second shot.