35 NE 40th Street
Miami, FL 33137Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oaktavernmiami.com/
- Phone: 7863911818x
- Hours of Operation:
CLOSED ON MONDAYS UNTIL OCTOBER
Brunch: Sunday 11:00am- 3:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday 12pm - 3pm
Happy Hour Daily: 4pm - 7pm
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday: 6pm - 10:30pm, Friday 6:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday 6pm- 2am
Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: David Bracha
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Music "Under The Oak" Summer Series from 11pm - 2am
A word from Oak Tavern
A twist to American modern cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Design District ›
Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (39)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (21)great for brunch (19)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (14)special occasion (12)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (6)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- SuperbCzkrDined on 4/28/2014Excellent service and some serious standout dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great RestaurantrvankoeDined on 4/27/2014A bit out of the way location, but worth the search. Very Good Food. Nice wait staff (Angelica). Totally enjoyable. Very nice looking decor.Special Features:
- First time and will never returnMiDCDined on 4/20/2014I reported these people to the Health Department. I ordered the coconut crusted French toast with bananas, whipped cream and chocolate shavings. My daughter and I were enjoying it, it was delicious....until I bit down on something hard which was so strange because this was melt in your mouth French toast, nothing hard about it. I pulled the hard object out of my mouth and it turned out to be a large piece of broken glass! I was completely freaked out and didn't trust or want to eat any more of the food. Both the waiter and manager were very blasé when I told them about the glass, as though all they'd done was serve me a dish that didn't taste good. I understand things break, mistakes happen but the blasé attitude was like this was normal.Special Features:
- Great place to have dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/19/2014This place has a Greenwich Village vibe and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedmwhiteVIPDined on 4/14/2014Had been wanting to try this restaurant for a while and finally went for lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. My tuna with salad was simply awful. Greens were oversaturated with oil and the tuna was overly spiced with a very unflavorful marinade. Bread was burnt and greasy. My friend said the halibut was good. The only saving grace was the coconut sorbet for dessert. Server was attentive. Way too expensive for the quality of the food. Would definitely not go back.
- Had a great time.MPateDined on 4/11/2014The food pairings were spot on and they accommodated any needs we had in regards to food choices. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great BrunchBobMVIPDined on 4/6/2014Oak Tavern has a really nice brunch. Probably the best pancakes I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really good food and servicebekrierVIPDined on 4/4/2014We enjoyed excellent food from a really great server, would recommend! Mostly local vegetables, fish and other ingredients. Very nice chef-inspired menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful Design District GemFrankVIPDined on 3/27/2014We came here with our friends visiting from France. They loved the place....great food and wonderful service. If you can make the French happy with a restaurant, you are clearly doing something right. They loved the friendly staff and service. We started with the charcuterie platter; and the table ordered a couple of burgers, two salmon and risotto plates and the sea scallop plate. Finished with inventive desserts. The wine list is short but well balanced. We picked the Bianchi Petite Sirah, which perfect for the variety of dishes. And again, our friends thought the wine was spectacular. Between the River and Oak, you can't go wrong. Keep it up the good work David.Special Features:
- oak tavernluv2dineVIPDined on 3/22/2014been several times. outdoor garden is beautiful. much quieter than inside.food very nice, this visit the service was poor. very slow. forgot our order. brought 2 of one entree and forgot the other. by the time they brought the correct one, everyone else had finished eating. we had to Constantly ask for utensils. we took friends who had never been there and I felt bad that the service was so poor. we were a big group so the tip was added automatically...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative in the Design District.sdfoodieVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great casual dining. Imaginative selection of small and large plates. Casual setting, delicious and tapas-driven, and fairly reasonable pricing. Nice selection of craft beers and good off-the-track wine list. So much change in the Design District, yet Oak remains a stalwart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time & excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014Everything was perfect. Food, waiter, excellent service. They did forget two appetizers but we didn't care.Special Features:
- Amazing brunch!OutandaboutVIPDined on 3/16/2014The scrambled egg bacon truffle oil pizza is amazing. Coconut French toast w bananas and rum sauce serves as a to-die-for brunch dessert. So many more interesting choices than any other brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new findDebbieDined on 3/14/2014Food, service and atmosphere were all very nice and I would definitely go back. We went for lunch on a lovely day and sat outside, which was perfect for our out-of-town guests. I look forward to trying out dinner. Oak tavern was recommended to us and we were not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!LeoneVIPDined on 3/13/2014This was our second time eating at Oak Tavern and we the food, service and experience was awesome! Definitely on my list of favourites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent. Many choicesVickiDined on 3/13/2014Food was excellent. Many choices and lots of little plates. kale salad and scallops were wonderful. There should be an area that is quiet if you really want to speak. it is noisy. the ambience is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the ambiance and food wereerica305VIPDined on 3/9/2014the ambiance and food were outstanding. We sat at the bar for about an hour prior to sitting down for dinner. The bartender was amazing, he offered samplings of the beers before we ordered and made excellent recommendations. We sat for dinner on the outside patio and the setting was gorgeous at sunset. Our food was great, our only complaint was the service outside. The restaurant was not seemingly busy, but our waiter took his sweet time to make stops to our table. Drinks ordered would arrive after asking a second or third time for them. We ordered a mixture of small plates, flatbread, oysters and large plates and the order in which the food arrived was in no specific order. The oysters were beyond amazing and very clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceNYCFoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2014Even WITH 8p reservation our party of 4 had to wait over 40minutes. When I approached the manager after waiting 30min the manager said, "30min waiting is industry standard." Not acceptable. Wine glasses had that fishy dish washer smell and our waiter didn't even apologize and disappeared for 10min before showing up with new glasses. Food was a poor version of a Famous restaurant across street.
- Great food, unique menu.dezdamona29Dined on 3/8/2014The menu is unique and delicious. We enjoyed twelve small and two large plates for a party of four.Special Features:
- Food and service are great!MercDined on 3/2/2014Food and service are great! Brunch's all you can drink is unique in that you can mix and match several options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!AudreyDined on 3/1/2014The small plates were fantastic. We picked this place solely off Open Table's recommendations, and the food was super delicious and flavorful, the atmosphere was great and lively. We liked the cocktails as well, although the second round was more lackluster (my manhattan was watered down, and the fruity cocktails were not accompanied by fruit). The small plates were the best, and our entrees were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience. FoodDesignDistrictAficionadoDined on 2/28/2014Great dining experience. Food was outstanding. Service was great - everyone was attentive and so well trained on service and serving and care of a table.Special Features:
- Perfect Birthday!cecilongaDined on 2/16/2014Couldn't have picked a better place to celebrate my birthday! Sat outside which was beautiful, felt like we were somewhere in Napa not Midtown Miami. We were a group of 8 so we sampled pretty much the entire menu and everything was delicious! Definitely recommend ordering a bunch of small plates so you can try a bit of everything. We kept the wine flowing and our waiter was excellent. Crab toast was delicious and fresh, Bacon Marmalade Toast is a must, Bison Carpaccio gets 2 thumbs up, Gnocchi were spectacular, we also had Fava Bean agnolotti, Burrata (yum!!), Kale Salad, Roasted Beets and Bacalao Croquettes-all very good! The Duck Pizza was different and Delicious! Scallop with lentil entrée was top notch and salmon and skirt steak delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art Wynwood LunchDoodlebugsDined on 2/15/2014Oak Tavern is a must for people attending Art Basel or Art Wynwood events in Miami's Design District. Food's great, as is the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and okay servicegramsaranDined on 2/5/2014The food was excellent as always, however, the service did get tripped up during a rush. Waited half hour for the cheese plate and a while for a Manhattan. That said, I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone. The menu is amazing and the location is perfect for Oak Tavern.Special Features:
- Oak Tavern is great!TerriVIPDined on 2/3/2014In town for a few days and looked for outdoor dining suggestions in Miami on EATER. Took a cab ride to the design district - honestly made a mistake because I thought we would have some ocean view, but no problem - the courtyard was LOVELY. Took the waiter's recommendations on apps and they were amazing! Snapper crudo, fava bean ravioli and a special - korean taco. Every bite was INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS. We had snapper and salmon and it was all scrumptious. Grilled to perfection. Specialty cocktails were actually special - great flavors and not skimpy on the alcohol at all - totally worth it. Shared desserts - pie with some kind of peanut butter mousse was fantastic. Apple pie with buttermilk ice cream was fine but nothing special.Special Features:
- Before a Heat gameVipaliiiVIPDined on 2/3/2014Stopped by this place on the way to a Heat game. There were four of us and we all ordered something different. Food was excellent. Good prices on the food and wines by the glass. Nice bar and seating areas. They have a nice courtyard that flows into the dining area. Even sitting inside you feel like you're eating outdoors. It's also located in the Miami design district which has it's own great character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableFoodiekDined on 2/2/2014Really liked food and atmosphere. I have been twice and pizza was amazing.Special Features:
- oak tavernluv2dineVIPDined on 1/26/2014very good. well prepared food. good choices. nice serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very iikablemikeDined on 1/25/2014Oak Tavern is a reasonable, accessible restaurant. The food was well prepared, and portions were appropriate for the price. But the atmosphere was not professional. We were dining early, with theater tickets. The very nice hostess showed us to an undesirable table in an empty restaurant, but was happy to do better when asked. Staff walked around our table mostly doing nothing in particular, but certainly not paying attention to us, until I asked a manager for help; the waiter he promptly assigned was both personable and efficient. One manager was cutting menus with a paper cutter in the dining room. But then, most people were eating outside. Not us, however, and we didn't come to watch set up during our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodbertDined on 1/20/2014The food was excellent; lots to choose from but not so much that the offering was overwhelming. The biscuit was a tasty way to start the meal and the scallops crudo starter was fresh and and clean. I only choose from the starters menu and everything was well prepared and extremely fresh. My husband had the salmon and he said it was delicious. Great place.Special Features:
- Great placetengogatasDined on 1/18/2014Beautiful outdoor setting. The food selection and quality is great, delicious and original menu. Great service by our server, Lisa. She made wonderful suggestions as to what we should eat, we didn't even have to think...and her choices were spectacular. The only negative would be the snobby attitude of the hostesses and the fact that we waited 15 minutes for our table, which had been previously reserved and there were not explanation or apologies as to why.Special Features:
- Perfect setting and mealiml1Dined on 1/18/2014From our drinks at the bar waiting for our group to arrive to dessert, the staff was friendly, professional and attentive. Sitting outside in the courtyard was a perfect venue for our friends to share good times in a relaxed setting. The oysters were fresh, the wine selection superbly reasonable and food quite good. While the duck pizza was fantastic with plenty of melted cheese, crispy crust and the right amount of toppings, the pork chop drowned in rich sauce. The short rib over mac was very good and would have been even better with a bit more cheese. Nonetheless, a wonderful place that we will return to shortly..Special Features:
- Slow but delicious!loversonlyDined on 12/31/2013The wait staff was very knowledgable on the food. The meat and the fish were both very fresh and the presentation of the dishes was lovely. From start to finish, including appetizers and deserts, it took 2 hours of our time. The service was slow as it stated in the previous reviews but our group had plenty to talk about so it worked the time we went. The deserts were good. The chocolate cake was very rich; however, the coffee left something to be desired. The setting is beautiful and cozy; but the noise level can get a little loud sometimes. I hardly notice that since I'm Cuban but I noted it in this restaurant. Overall, it was a great experience. When I have to plan for a group outing, I will probably pick Oak Tavern again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience with deliciousjeni10VIPDined on 12/20/2013Amazing experience with delicious food. Must try the duck pizza! It's delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and full of flavourOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/18/2013The depth of flavours within each dish was incredible. The culinary skill is clearly very high with a strong command of flavours. Highly recommend this restaurant. We split 5 small dishes as our dinner for two. The stand out dishes were the kale salad, charcuterie board, and the non-meat pasta dish. The octopus was delicious but not sure I would need to have it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2013Will not return until I hear the kitchen has changed. Food great. Place was not even crowded and we waited 1.5 hours for 4 dinners.Special Features:
- Great place with great foodBBsoflaDined on 11/30/2013We had heard about this place through a friend and thought we'd try it out. The food was delicious and the beer and wine selections were very good. The only thing that wasn't as good was the service. I don't know if it's because we were sitting outside, but we found ourselves flagging down our server often. Other that that, the restaurant ambiance was great. It has a northern feel to it, which we both really liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oak tavernluv2dineVIPDined on 11/30/2013wonderful outdoor patio. food very good. friendly service.varied menu. good quality..we enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- Thumbs UpJsierraDined on 11/22/2013I've been to this restaurant three times now and they have a friendly knowledgeable staff, the service is only exceeded by the quality and creative dishes. Highly recommend the octopus appetizer. Was there to celebrate a friend's birthday, she'd never been there before but impressed with everything. We dined outside, the night was perfect. I'd imagine it's less appealing in the middle of summer but we've dined inside as well and the experience has been just as enjoyable. Only comment that I'd make regarding the inside is that the noise level is quite high. Given all the hard surfaces in the space there is little to dampen the sound. But in the end, it wasn't bad enough to keep me away. I'll be back again here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.