@ The Deck
1 Waites Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
@ The Deck
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waiteswharf.com/atthedeck
- Phone: 4018463600x
- Hours of Operation:
Outside Tables First Come, First Serve. NO RESERVATIONS
Wednesday - Saturday 12pm to Close
Sunday Brunch @ 10am
Wednesday - Sunday 4pm to Close
Closed Monday & Tuesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary French / American
- Executive Chef: Chef Matthew Holmes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Constantly booking a variety of performers ranging from dueling pianists, steel drums duo, contemporary and among other genres.
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPENTABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY
- Cross Street: Thames
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We do not operate the private lot associated with Waites Wharf, however we do offer a validation of half of which the lot is charging for guests dining Inside At The Deck Restaurant.
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPEN TABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY
A word from @ The Deck
Newport Rhode Island's premier waterfront restaurant that offers lunch and dinner; inside and out. Whether you choose to dine inside with our open air kitchen or decide to relax outside on the patio, @ The Deck Restaurant accommodates any and all patron looking to enjoy some quality time while over looking Newport's Best Harbor View.Continued
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPENTABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY.
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPENTABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
@ The Deck - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
@ The Deck reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (10)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- We were a group of eight soyoyocharDined on 7/27/2013We were a group of eight so there were six different dishes eaten. The only shortcoming was that the stuffed pork chop was a little overcooked. It could have been moister. The wedge salad was excellent. The steaks were cooked to the eaters request and very tasty. The service was excellent. The hostess was personable and made us feel wel44come. Our server was attentive and cordial. He explained the specials to us with knowledge of what the foods were. The wine list was a little lacking. The décor could be a little warmer. With the prices that are charged, the management should pay for the parking for the restaurant. We all felt paying $20 for parking at a restaurant that charges such high prices ($44 for a filet) was a little insulting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointspenelopeVIPDined on 7/20/2013I have eaten here numerous times over 5-6 years and despite a new chef in the kitchen, the level of food and service has remained consistently fine. It is always the first place i book when coming to Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only for Bachelorette partiesNewportTennisFanVIPDined on 7/13/2013Had a bad experience with @ The Deck. Despite a 9:15 reservation, we weren't seated until almost 10.. then then was a mixup with who was supposed to be our server so we waited another 10 or 15 minutes. The dining room consisted almost exclusively of bachelorette parties. The only part of the experience that salvaged the night is that the food is actually pretty good and the server who took over after the mixup was awesome. But, I would never go back.
- SandyThegangofgirlsDined on 7/13/2013Let the waiter know that I would love the scollops but I am always apprehensive to order them because of sand. He said that they would not be sandy...four came on the plate and the fourth one was full of sand! Let me waiter know and he was happy it was the last one. I could not eat the rest of my meal. I was with a large party and they though the food was fair. Lots of other great places to eat in Newport. The bar seen had a band and was loud and hopping! Price was high for what you get.Special Features:
- Nervous after previous reviewsFoodieDined on 7/12/2013I was a bit nervous actually going to try this place out after some of the reviews. Reviews telling of bad service and horrible hostesses, but whatever was said must have been quickly corrected by the owner and management. Our waitress was awesome and the manager came by to ensure our meal was made to perfection. The food was amazing and the open air style kitchen is a real treat since you know how your food is being prepared! Great place and would recommend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentcyndijoDined on 7/9/2013As first time visitors to Newport, we relied on friends for recommendations of places to eat. The Deck was on that list. I would say the two highpoints 1) having dinner with my boyfriend and 2)the lighted menus. Other restaurants should take note to do this. However, we were really disappointed with our meal. I ordered the linguini with white clam sauce and while the clams tasted okay the broth/sauce that the linguini was cooked in had no flavor and looked like pure olive oil in the bowl. I left most of the pasta in the dish. My boyfriends swordfish was overcooked and the risotto was flavorless and also overcooked. Perhaps just a bad night but with all the other choices available, we would not return. On the expensive side too,Special Features:
- Perfect to take visiting guestsKateDined on 7/6/2013I have had drinks at the bar several times but this is the first time I dined at The Deck and it was very nice. The hostess and server were attentive. The food was very good and the atmosphere perfect for chatting with friends over a leisurely dinner.Special Features:
- Was able to get a last minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2013Was able to get a last minute reservation at The Deck. Food was good, and the wait staff was helpful. We ate inside, and it was slightly noisey, and a little warm, but overall a nice experience. Everyone seemed to be happy with their meal, and the drinks.Special Features:
- Excellent Food/Service Not So MuchThoneyVIPDined on 7/5/2013I will start with the positive. We dined inside the restaurant and the food was outstanding. I would dine there again just because the food was so wonderful. To make it even better the chef came out to see how everything was and it was fantastic to be able to let him know how terrific the food was. Now for the factors that keep this from being a glowing review all around: the service, the service, the service. Hostess, waiter and bartender are all in need of some serious customer service training. Not enough characters to describe adequately here. This should have the top ratings possible. Unfortunately, as a result of the staff I cannot. I would recommend for the food, but warn about the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/29/2013Food was absolutely wonderful the lobster stuffy was one of the best dishes I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Find in Newport!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/26/2013What a special find this place was while we visited Newport. Our waitress was so attentive and personable and knowledgeable about the menu. The food was fantastic! You need to make a visit to this hidden gem in NewportSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingdinerDined on 6/22/2013The menu was very limited and the seating was a small area in a small table. I asked the hostess if we could move to a different part where there was many free tables and was told no, that area was reserved. We had a reservation but I guess it didn't include the quieter part of the restaurant. During our time there nobody else was seated in that area so I can't imagine why she wouldn't put us there. She was not friendly however, our server was very attentive. That is why I gave it three stars for service. The food was good but the seating arrangements were cramped. It might not bother some people but I didn't care for it. I don't think we'll be going back.Special Features:
- Best in Class!NewportrezDined on 6/14/2013For 15 years this has been my favorite spot in Newport. Food is outstanding, always fresh ideas for preparations, and impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Safe Harbor on a stormy night!DCKateDined on 6/7/2013Our first day in Newport, RI felt like the rainstorm of the century. We almost decided to order room service but then decide to venture into the storm. So very glad we did. We had a wonderful seafood dinner and one of the best Hencricks martinis ever. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable getting us started with the perfect blue point oysters. We returned the next night after dinner to enjoy the bar scene....great for people watching.Special Features:
- smellyswalDined on 6/1/2013I was not pleased with this restaurant. It did not smell good as soon as we walked in and I should have left right then. The food was just okay . I would not go back since there are so many other great restaurants in Newport.
- A shadow of The West DeckRonMDined on 5/31/2013It was our first time back to The Deck in two years and it appeared nothing had changed. A very cordial host welcomed us and our waiter, Spencer was most attentive to our needs and very personable. What was most disappointing were our entrees. The cod loin I ordered was obviously frozen and over cooked. The texture was mealy that I can only compare to fast food fare. My wife's swordfish was marginally better. Both meals were a major disappointment and left untouched. Looking around at nearby diners, meals being served at least had a great presentation. The Deck management should reconsider dining options and stick with what they do best, appetizers and burgers.Special Features:
- Delicious Food & Great ServiceKimRoseDined on 5/17/2013What more can you ask for? The potato-leek soup was amazing. Very flavorful! The prosciutto wrapped cod was cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious. It was a great dinner experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterfront dining in NewportdavesailorDined on 5/17/2013We had a great meal. We went all seafood, everything was fresh, tasty, and the presentation was innovative and fun. We started outside on the deck with a great view of Newport harbor and the sunset, then moved in to the bar as it got colder for dessert and a cocktail. Excellent overall. For those nitpicky types, there are only a couple negative comments: the deck seating was very informal- like a picnic area. In the defense of the restaurant I don't think they really expected outside dining yet as it is only mid may. And then one of us had a lobster-pasta dish which was excellent except it had a garnish of fried onions which didn't in our opinion go with the dish. Picked off, the dish was great. . Great service, happy fun crowd. GoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful time here!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/12/2013The lobster mac & cheese was superb! Outstanding service and delicious food. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to @The Deck onDinnerdatesandHappymatesDined on 5/12/2013I have been to @The Deck on summer nights before. It is a much better bar scene than it is for a midday meal. Food was alright. There was a limited menu for Mother's Day, which was when we went. I much prefer this place as a bar, rather than a restaurant to dine at. For the price, I wish I had made reservations at 22 Bowens instead. Only perk was that for Mother's Day, my mother's entree was free. Seating is cramped inside, tables too close to your neighbors. View from the deck is lovely, but we couldn't enjoy it seated inside. I will not be dining here again, but when the weather warms up I will certainly be back for the bar scene!Special Features:
- Should have ordered a full entreezen4foodVIPDined on 5/12/2013Parking!!! Just off Thames street. The Smoked salmon BLT was ok. Grateful for the mom's eat free special...but should have done the cod (which looked great) or the Caesar lobster salad which a neighboring diner oohed and ahhed over. Nice little place with a warm, waterfront /wharf restaurant bar feeling but nice linen table cloths and napkins. Brick walls and live plants add to the "cared for" feeling of @the Deck. I would recommend it even though I ordered poorly. Have anything lobster it looked great! That's what I will have next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place we would love to love againOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2013We used to be regulars at the Deck. The food was very good and the atmosphere friendly and casual. The noise level was reasonable for conversation. In the last couple of years though we found the food became uninteresting and the noise level went through the roof. The outside bar is always loud at night but the inside used to be sort of an oasis. We would marvel at the change experienced on going through the door. We gave it another try on a Friday in early May and since it was not very busy, it was like old times. The menu was still uninspiring though and with so much competition for good food in Newport, the Deck needs to up its game. We hope it does because we still like going there. It has a great neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- Im not sure if the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2013Im not sure if the restaurant was just opening for the season but it was a terrible experience. We went to have brunch, so when we arrived we sat on "the deck" and were given the lunch menu. When we asked about the "brunch" menu we were told that brunch was only offered inside, not on the deck. The waiter then returned and said "I'm sorry, I was wrong, we don't have a brunch menu". So we were unable to order lunch, the lunch menu was ok. There was not much to choose from that you could actually eat on the deck. When we asked for a side of mayonnaise, they didn't have any. Also for what we ordered the food was grossly over priced. It's one thing if the view & food were amazing, but they weren't.
- Please beware that their brunchDahlersVIPDined on 4/14/2013Please beware that their brunch is buffet style - if you don't mind that, it's not a problem!
- @ The Deck once again...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013We are regulars at the Deck even though we live out of state. You might notice that we checked both Fit For Foodies and Great For Outdoor Dining. Literally, there is a deck where one can have drinks and simple food while looking at the Bay. The view is so beautiful that visitors do not realize that directly behind them is a happening top notch restaurant where Matt the Chef always produces 4 to 5 star dishes--truly fine dining. And the best part about the restaurant's layout, if you get there early enough, is that you can be one of those lucky people who sit at the bar, watch the talented chef and his staff prepare the dishes from start to finish, while having a perfect cocktail. Always a favorite in this competitive restaurant town.Special Features:
- We found the atmosphere veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013We found the atmosphere very noisy. My swordfish was way overcooked and I told the waitress and nothing was done. Other than that the food was really good. Too loud for our taste perhaps when the outdoor dining is open we will come back. Service was good but not friendly.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed it. Will goLynlovesfinediningDined on 4/6/2013Really enjoyed it. Will go back in the summer to enjoy the outside deck!Special Features:
- @ the deck has really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/29/2013@ the deck has really good food and is great place in the summer with a view.Special Features:
- Location could not be anyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Location could not be any better. We were greeted by a friendly and enthusiastic staff as we prepared for the St. Patrick's Day brunch. The food was outstanding, from the hangover burgers to, perhaps, the best sausage and gravy I have ever had. Cannot wait to get back to Newport and dine at our newest favorite spot.Special Features:
- Consistently Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/16/2013This is the 4th time we have dined here @ The Deck and it is consistently good. Chef Matt is an excellent chef and the food is always very good. The Mussels are excellent as well as the bone in filet. I have to say I was a bit upset the last time I came because the bone in Filet was priced at $27 for the entree in the beginning of December and this past weekend it was priced at $44 for the entree...talk about a price hike...Yikes! Thankfully they had some specials with Winterfest happening. Nick the bartender is a nice young man and always very pleasant and courteous. I will come back again for sure.Special Features:
- Great placeCampDined on 12/28/2012We enjoyed this out of the way restaurant. My husband had the pork chops & I had the salmon-both were delicious. They had a 3 for 30 special the night we went-the apple tart was great! Just call to check for hours-they close the month of Jan I believe.Special Features:
- The service was great - veryKatDYDined on 11/16/2012The service was great - very friendly staff. Dinner was nothing spectacular and a bit pricey for the quality. I'm glad we went there and tried it, but I'm not rushing to go back.
- Chef Matt and bartender NickilovefinediningVIPDined on 11/15/2012Chef Matt and bartender Nick make a great duo. The open kitchen and personable service add that much more to the excellent dining experience. Would definitely recommend you bring your appetite - food portions are big.Special Features:
- The menu had good choices.PammyJo25VIPDined on 11/11/2012The menu had good choices. Waiter was very attentive. Parking was a plus in this part of town.Special Features:
- Had an excellent time. OneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012Had an excellent time. One of the best restaurants in Newport. Away from the maddening crowd. Very friendly owner.Special Features:
- Winter comfortOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2012Wonderful spot for conversation over lunch when Newport summer crowds have left. Good food. Warm atmosphere.Special Features:
- We were late (but called twoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2012We were late (but called two times) and the hostess was gracious and accommodating! Nice experience.
- We hav been traveling to NewportDaveVIPDined on 11/4/2012We hav been traveling to Newport for some twenty years and this is one of the best meals that we have had anywheres. In fact we dined at this restaurant two consecutive nights and the bone-in filet was outstanding; We never go to the same place on the same visit. We havd found a new gem hidden om Waite's Wharf. The service was outstanding and Slater the waiter was very well versed on the menu and made all of us feel right at home We will definitely make this a first stop on our next visi.Special Features:
- Very tight. We were seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2012Very tight. We were seated in the doorway and could not be moved. People standing around our table while waiting for their table. Very uncomfortable. It took a long time from one course to another.
- We went for the Newport RestaurantnomdecenaVIPDined on 11/2/2012We went for the Newport Restaurant Week Dinner. It was great and the waitress was fantastic; she was friendly and had great recommendations. The bleu caesar salad was excellent. The four entrees were all well received: swordfish; vodka penne; scallops; and duck. Particularly notable were the caramel/sea salt and pumpkin gelatos.Special Features: