Char's Tracy Mansion
1829 N. Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Char's Tracy Mansion
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7172134002
- Hours of Operation:
Bar & Library: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm to 10:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Ron Canady
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Gallery, which features the mansion's original fireplace and a private terrace, seats up to 24 people. This room is equipped with internet access for corporate functions.
- Private Party Contact: Shana 7172134002
- Entertainment: Live Music in the sculpture garden Fridays and Saturday nights during the summer, 7-10 pm, weather permitting.
A word from Char's Tracy Mansion
An American Brasserie offering both casual and upscale dining experiences. A place where individuals will feel ‘special’ whether they come for a drink, small plates/dessert, a meeting, or an evening of fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Char's Tracy Mansion - Best Restaurants in Harrisburg ›
Char's Tracy Mansion reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (111)scenic view (98)great for outdoor dining (82)romantic (75)fit for foodies (71)notable wine list (52)neighborhood gem (28)hot spot (13)good for groups (9)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Okay but OverpricedHbgpaDined on 7/1/2014Harrisburg has only a few upscale restaurants so when it's time to go somewhere nice, Char's is usually it for us. It is close and has sufficient parking. Our entrees was good, I loved the sauce they put on the filet. Now, for the not so good. The salad was overdressed, drowning in the dressing, and the potatoes that came with the steak had as much butter as potato. My wine would have been good at the correct temperature, but it was very warm. Yes, I realize that red wine should be served warmer than white, but it should still be a little cool. Also, since they don't have a sommelier, the waitresses should be able to describe the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honker774Dined on 6/30/2014Our favorite establishment! My go to place for special occasions.Special Features:
- bruceDined on 6/28/2014most excellent service, food and pleasant environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie2Dined on 6/26/2014We had a very enjoyable birthday dinner. We are pretty particular and all the items we ordered did not disappoint. We are retired and do not appreciate spending a large amt of money on a disappointing meal. We will definitely return to Char's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor dining with a viewGoodpiratetimDined on 6/26/2014Situated on the Susquehanna River, the view from the terrace was relaxing and romantic. The service was attentive and they still serve bread. The food was good but seemed trying hard to use the "fusion" word. Dessert were left alone and just really good. Great romantic spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ItDGJxVIPDined on 6/26/2014It isn't cheap but it is worth the price. Right on the river in a charming old house.Special Features:
- Great dinnerGreatdinnerDined on 6/23/2014We went here for our anniversary. We had not been to their "new" location yet. The food was really fantastic! Our waitor really knew the menu and was able to make some wonderful recs. We will definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menulafayetteDined on 6/21/2014many great menu items to select from...presented and done so perfectlySpecial Features:
- A wonderful night outLuv2WineNDineDined on 6/19/2014What a beautiful place! Great outdoor seating, great food and prompt service. The pickle point oysters were delicious as well as everything else. I will be returning for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returnpackers1VIPDined on 6/18/2014Just as good as the first time and we will be back soon.Special Features:
- Delightful EveningGlandManDined on 6/17/2014Dinner away from home while traveling. This spot, in a converted riverside home, made for a relaxing evening on a special occasion. Found a wine from one of our favorite Tuscan vineyards, which complemented the ambiance, good food and excellent service.Special Features:
- Central PA GemYankelDined on 6/14/2014The mid-state is fortunate to have this dining gem in a fabulous location over-looking the Susquehanna. Comparable to Philly's best in terms of food, the ambiance helps make the experience all the better. Service was spot on, owner Char is the "hostess with the mostess. " Interesting and creative dishes done very well.Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014It was a great meal and service as just as good. This was our first visit to their new location, it was 7 years before that my wife and I celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary at Char's. Will continue to recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char's Tracy MansioncharfanDined on 6/12/2014The new "prix fixe" menu has scrumptious choices. We had the shrimp soup which was hearty and delicious. The Thai shrimp and chicken was perfectly flavored. We were celebrating 2 birthdays, and the honorees received a very clever and special surprise at the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday on the PatioNateVIPDined on 6/1/2014It was a glorious first day of June and we spent the day hiking the AT and the rewarded ourselves with cocktails and a fine dinner on the patio at Char's. The owner is attentive and the food is superb. Try the blood orange martini!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 120 reviews are from the Char's Tracy Mansion reviews archive.
- Outstanding Servicegreatfinds1Dined on 5/19/2014What a fantastic night. We decided to try Char's Tracy Mansion for our 2nd anniversary. What a great choice that was. From the time we walked till the time we left it felt like we were the only ones there. That is how attentive the staff is no matter how many patrons are there. Food was fantastic and drinks were just the right blend. Can't wait to go back and enjoy more of there selections and specials. Location is easy to get to with plenty of parking and the artwork throughout the restaurant is an added bonus to look at. Thanks for a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014We really enjoyed Char's. The specialty drinks were great, the food was delicious and the service was great! Perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great drinks, appetizers & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/16/2014The great things about Chars is the wonderful menu of special dishes that you don't really see any where else. From the beginning to the end each selection is well prepared and the presentation is too good to eat. Every dish is well balanced and the right portion. Great Job as always to the staff of Chars.Special Features:
- Char's Tracy is fine diningCarlVIPDined on 5/14/2014We went to Char's on May 14 to celebrate our anniversary after reading Open Table reviews recommending it as a very nice restaurant with great food and a scenic view. We were very pleased with our choice. The ambience is wonderful. It is definitely a very romantic spot to take a date or your spouse. The food was magnificently prepared and both the manager and chef came out at different times to make sure we were happy. Our server, Rebecca, was very knowledgeable about the menu items and was very attentive to our needs. We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this restaurant. Please be advised though that you are probably paying over $100 for two but the dining experience is equivalent to dining at a fine restaurant in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance by the RiverDining101VIPDined on 5/12/2014I have had dinner at Char's several times since move to beautiful new Tracy Mansion. This was my wife's first time. Multiple diverse wine, drink, appetizer, entree and dessert options. Service was first rate. Excellent bar and also ability to eat on patio in nice weather overlooking the river. There are a shortage of fine restaurants in Harrisburg and this is one of the best.
- Mother's Dayhope26Dined on 5/11/2014I took my mom here to surprise her on her birthday, which happened to be Mother's Day this year. The restaurant and building were absolutely beautiful. The view from our booth was perfect. We watched the sun set on the river throughout our meal. The entire experience was altogether lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char'spsugradDined on 5/10/2014Beautiful restaurant for fine dining. Excellent service. Char herself greeted us at the door and visited each table briefly throughout dinner Our family of 5 was celebrating a college graduation. The best meal at our table was the scallops.Special Features:
- Crowded tables...little atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014First experience with Chars. Booked a table for a quiet anniversary dinner for two and when we arrived, we were escorted to a table that actually had to be pulled away from another occupied table just so we could sit down. We ended up not staying and found another restaurant with a bit more table privacy and atmosphere.
- First time - hopefully not the lastsmitty195Dined on 5/9/2014We had a wonderful dining experience! Both the risotto and scallops were very well prepared.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner experiencecafeDined on 5/6/2014We arrived 15 minutes before our reserved time. The hostess was very friendly and seated us right away. Server was very attentive without making us feel rushed. She was especially pleasant. We've never had a meal here that was anything less than fabulous. The shrimp and lobster cocktail appetizer was refreshing and delicious. Beautiful view of the sunset on the river . . . great anniversary dinner! Seating is a little close and the noise level a bit high but it really didn't detract from our conversation or overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grits8Dined on 5/3/2014The only thing preventing across the board outstandings was the fact that on Open Table we chose special occasion "yes, birthday" & then when we checked in we again stated it was for a birthday & again advised our server & there was nothing expressed in any manner. However, the food selection/quality/quantity were indeed outstanding. The surprise homage to Kentucky Derby with the juleps was great fun as we arrived after watching the Derby. We specifically chose Chars for the birthday believing it would be a great place to celebrate. In the future we know to book elsewhere for our 4-5 dining celebration dinners and just dine here when looking for specific tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food!CandyDined on 5/3/2014All of the food was spectacular. The scallops are very good but have a bit too many sun dried tomatoes. Halibut was also really good as a special but was $42. Our server also did an excellent job. Very friendly. A bit noisy but still pleasant. Save for a special occasion as it is very expensive.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014Some of the best service and food I have had in a long time. I travel all over the US and this is one of the best finds. Harrisburg PA?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD. Overpriced.SonnySpringsDined on 4/27/2014The food was good, but not memorable. The appetizers where better than the entrees. If I go again I will stick to small plates.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerToothfairyDined on 4/26/2014We had a wonderful evening at Char's and it was the perfect place to celebrate our daughter's 25th birthday. Wait staff is impeccable and greeted twice by the owner.Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The place is lovely, and feels very much like a special occasion place, without being stuffy. The menu offers something for everyone and is diverse enough not to be boring. Beer selection surprised me with its variety! As the dining room filled, the noise level really picked up, but that was the only less than perfect aspect. Will definitely return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place to dineARfoodie7Dined on 4/15/2014Char's is probably the most beautiful restaurants in all of Harrisburg both for view and decor. Char's also has an excellent menu that is always adventurous and yet very accessible. Though a little pricey I have never gotten up from the table wishing I had not spent the money on a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodBinx719Dined on 4/5/2014The decor is magnificent, the food is superb, and the service was impeccable. The chocolate souffle was the best-chocolate anything, ever.Special Features:
- Everything was outstanding,ellagartoDined on 4/5/2014Everything was outstanding, from the greeting by Robert upon arrival, the Chocolate Martini, and on through dessert. The Fish Du Jour, ONAGA SNAPPER – HAWAII, was outstanding. Little on the higher price side, but well worth it.Special Features:
- A Special PlacePadreGiovanniVIPDined on 3/30/2014Char's is what the Circular Dining Room in Hershey USED to be, i.e., a special place where you go for special occasions and where you are treated special. Linen napkins and tablecloths and properly attired patrons CAN and ARE found at Char's Mansion. Superb cuisine and superior service. The chef, waitstaff and maitre d' make you feel like you are entering a culinary delight in the capital of the Commonwealth. The menu is exciting and the food is exquisite. HIGHLY recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a great experienceChuckDined on 3/28/2014When in town and thinking about someplace special, Char's at Tracy Mansion always rising to the top. The restaurant has a great infusion of great food and great art work to pleas the eye as well as the taste. The menu can be a little rich and because I have a heightened sensitivity to sodium, can be a little salty. Again, this is my personal taste and not a comment of my guests who dine with me. There are a great number of menu options and the Chef has a number of unique twists. The service is always spot on and the servers are well trained and often remember you from previous visits. The owner is frequently at the restaurant overseeing the details of the operation and will greet each guest. That goes a long way in my book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return VisitSatisfiedDined on 3/26/2014We have been to Char's many times. The food is always very good, the ambiance Ian's view are unmatched in the area, but the service is hit or miss depending g upon which of the wait staff that you get. Unfortunately we didn't have the best on this visit. I prefer being treated as a guest, not an intruder. I will hope for better luck next time and will try to remember their name if they are good so that I may request them every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Riverfront GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Dinner at Char's is always consistent. Her servers are well trained and pay attention to details. Hint: If you order the special off the menu, ask the price of the entree as it is usually more expensive then most entrees on the menu. Overall great restaurant. It's the only one in Harrisburg that compares to top notch restaurants in other, larger cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing and enjoyable2K2LDined on 3/19/2014This is the second time I have been to Char's and once again was impressed by the attentive service, excellent food, and warm atmosphere. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for a wonderful mealsslr35qDined on 3/15/2014Lovely restaurant with a great view of the river. Love the décor in the main dining area and library. The food was delicious and well presented. Impressive wine list. Service was friendly and attentive. Great place for a night out or for celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.