157 E Houston St.
New York, NY 10002-1004Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.macondonyc.com/about.php
- Phone: 2124739900x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 2:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Starting On June 9th Macondo will be Opened For Lunch 12pm-4pm!!
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Macondo
Located at 157 E. Houston Street, Macondo brings Latino comida de la calle (Latin street food) to the gourmet level with a menu offering seven different signature items representative of cuisines from all over the Spanish-speaking world. Macondo was created by f and emerging restaurateur Héctor Sanz, the pioneers of Estilo Libre Latino (Freestyle Latino) cuisine. It serves arepas from Venezuela, cocas from Barcelona, churros con chocolate from Spain, and tacos from Mexico and features a Brazilian Juice Bar with freshly-squeezed extracts. A fresh fruit cocktail menu will be designated by "fruit" + "spirit" and, in a New York City first, Macondo will introduce Escanciar Sidra, a traditional and dramatic way of pouring hard cider that originated in Spain in which the liquid cascades four feet from a spout into the customer's glass to create a brief, Champagne-like effervescence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macondo reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (28)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (20)hot spot (13)neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (8)special occasion (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Tasty Tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2013Whilte tapas and entrees at Macondo were delightful, I did have one negative critique. On a Friday night at 7:00pm, there were a few items not available on the menu (which is limited to begin with), as well as an item off the dessert as well. It was a little disheartening as it further narrowed down dining choices; but once the food arrived, it was all delicious across the board.
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013I've been to dinner at Macando several times now. Service is very good, as is the food (always consistent). Yuca fries and mojito are great, hangar steak excellent. Lively amosphere is a little loud but not distracting. Great to enjoy with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeNYsamplerDined on 5/17/2013We enjoyed the food and presentation. Guacamole was excellent!!! Sangria very good. We were almost happy when it got a little busier- our waitress was a little OCD and maybe "over-attentive" but I will say we missed the service at our next two dining spots. Very loud and difficult to have conversation at the table.Special Features:
- Macondo offers delicious LatinOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2013Macondo offers delicious Latin food in a vibrant atmosphere. The wine was very good and they also have very inventive Latin-themed cocktails. Would definitely like to return to this unique restaurant/bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless mimosasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2013Worth it just for the bottomless mimosas. Went on a Sunday at prime brunch time, and they didn't try to rush us or skimp on the bottomless part by not filling up our drinks -- instead, they were very attentive and always kept the glasses full. Worth every penny.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my boozy brunch favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Unlimited brunch spots generally don't deliver on food, Macondo does. It's got good food, a fun atmosphere, and a staff that facilitates you enjoying the unlimited aspect of your brunch. This is definitely one of my top group boozy brunch spots.Special Features:
- Great extensive Latino menukboogienjVIPDined on 4/27/2013Great extensive Latino menu and so far everything we've had has been equally good. Staff has been very attentive and friendly, and we've been as a couple and with large groups. Pork belly may be best I've ever had.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013I would definitely recommend this place... My new brunch spot!!Special Features:
- Fun and DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2013A ton of fun and GREAT food - we got there for a 6:45 reservation and didn't leave until past midnight!Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013This was my first time at Macondo. I reserved a table for a breakfast brunch. The staff was very accommodating when the reservation needed to be changed last minute. The staff was attentive and provided excellent service. I ordered the steak which was cooked exactly the way I wanted it. The mimosas were also a a pleasant surprise. I will definitely be returning again.Special Features:
- Too loud musicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013Nice food and good service, but the music is too loud.Special Features:
- Love the mimosas, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013Love the mimosas, but the food gave me a really bad stomachacheSpecial Features:
- Very authentic and tasty LatinOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/8/2013Very authentic and tasty Latin food and drinks. Wait staff is friendly and attentive. Definite LES go-to place.Special Features:
- V-Day DinnerMelderVIPDined on 2/14/2013Hip, but not pretentious; cool, friendly staff. I had a great valentine's day dinner w/ my bf, we loved it- food was interesting and delicious, our booth in the green room was cozy and romantic. Not cheap, but on par with similar places.Special Features:
- I enjoyed the Latin tapasRose624VIPDined on 2/11/2013I enjoyed the Latin tapas here. Very tasty. Good service too!
- Very good but not... Outstanding.NYEatsVIPDined on 1/21/2013I had a pleasant experience at Macondo, however it was nothing out of this world. Food was tasty and service was friendly; I WILL go back to try other dishes, as well as their empanada happy hour!Special Features:
- Great mimosa brunch deal!VonatronVIPDined on 1/20/2013Great mimosa brunch deal! Food was good, portions on the smaller side, but it was good to save more room for mimosas. Our waiter was very nice, very attentive with the drinks at first but later on when the restaurant got more full, he started to get a little frazzled. The ambiance was great, casual but still sophisticated. I've heard good things about dinner as well. Will be sure to be back!Special Features:
- the food and drinks were great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/14/2013the food and drinks were great. I went there on a Monday night, and although it was slightly cold/rainy outside, I expected there to be more people at the restaurant. The place literally had more employees than customers. Needs a little more promos to fill up the place.
- Fantastic...I went here oneOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/12/2013Fantastic...I went here one weekend and came back the very next weekend! Great vibe for drinks and dinner with friends. The food is DELISH and extremely flavorful and unique.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/12/2013I've been to Macondo before for brunch and loved it - the food was delicious, service was great and ambiance was perfect for a fun brunch with friends. This time, I was highly disappointed. We had a large party (13) so we had to order off the pre-fixe menu. Each dish lacked seasoning and everyone was pretty disappointed. The mimosas were very weak and apparently premade- champagne was flat in the mimosas. The service was just OK. I'm a vegetarian and last time I dined with Macondo, they substituted a vegetable for the chorizo in the dishes we ordered. This time the waitress didn't bother checking and said there were no substitutions.Special Features:
- Great Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/6/2013The staff at Macondo was fantastic. The manager found out it was my birthday and gave me a free drink on the house. And then, without anyone asking him to do so, brought out a dessert with a candle. I thought it was very thoughtful and generous of the manager to do that without being asked. The bartender was great (we sat at the bar) and was friendly and lovely to talk to. Overall the experience was wonderful and I would highly recommend going here for brunch and I will definitely be back in the future.Special Features:
- This is a terrific place toBonApetit787VIPDined on 12/30/2012This is a terrific place to meet up for tapas for a group-- the food is great- interesting selections-- go hungrySpecial Features:
- Total Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2012All time fave. I bring people here all the time. Eat the brussel sprouts and the flank steak. Nothing disappoints.Special Features:
- I went as a group of 5 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/15/2012I went as a group of 5 people on a Saturday night around 7:30. We had reservations, and although the restaurant was nearly empty at the time, it was getting full around 9 when we were leaving--so keep that in mind. We sat in the back, which I would recommend if you want to be able to hear conversation and not feel crammed. The restaurant has a new chef (as of a week or so ago, I was told), and the food was delicious. The variety is excellent as well. The dishes may not be your classic Spanish tapas (they were somewhat American-ized), but the essence is there and the quality was good. Service was also responsive and polite. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Love this place! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/7/2012Love this place! The food and the waitstaff is incredibly warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Great spot for large partiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012Macando seems built for large groups celebrating birthdays, etc. The food is really tasty pan-Latin and unlike a lot of tapas places, each serving gives you more than two bites. The prices are also pretty good. We had a group of 6 ladies and it worked out to about $46 each including two bottles of wine.Special Features:
- I love the food and the decorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012I love the food and the decor was great... A deliful addition to the neighborhood.. I'm looking forward of having dinner there Soon...Special Features: