19-21 East 36th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbesrestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126840215
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am; Bar: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, African, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
A word from Barbes Restaurant
Barbes Restaurant is named after the famous Paris neighborhood at the foot of the Sacre-Coeur, also known as the 'little piece of North Africa'. The Northernmost part of Africa, the Maghreb, is comprised of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia with cultures captivating with their cuisine, music and decor. Barbes is a melting pot of Parisian and Maghreb cultures and Barbes Restaurant carries that spirit. 'Our restaurant strives to bring the atmosphere of Barbès here in New York. Through our menu and ambiance we aim to immerse our clientele in the unique colors, tastes and sounds of Barbes.'Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbes Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (21)great for lunch (13)romantic (13)good for groups (8)notable wine list (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Cozy Restaurant with DELICIOUS FoodNYCstudentfoodieDined on 11/23/2013Brought my family here for a late Saturday lunch. The restaurant was decently full but the noise level was nice and low--perfect for conversation without being too eerily quiet. Our server was wonderful, meeting all our requests with a smile (my mom's coffee was too strong and she didn't hesitate to whip up a new one). I ordered the smoked salmon benedict, my mom got the Mediterranean salad, and my dad and sister got the chicken and lamb kebabs (respectively). The food was absolutely delicious, perfect portions that are well worth the relatively low prices. The best part? THE AMBIENCE. So cozy. It's a real gem in the neighborhood; I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed the atmosphere of a restaurant so much. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service up to snuffK2skier95Dined on 11/22/2013The reviewers complaining that service here is poor, obviously do not appreciate an intimate, family run restaurant. It's true that service can be a little slow, but that is to be expected in a restaurant that is the size of a person's living room. If Barbes had any more than 3 servers, they would be running into one another. Even though it took it took a good 10 - 15 minutes to bring us our first drink order, the service they provided was second to none. We went here for my birthday and the restaurant went out of their way to cater to our group. The food was very good, everyone had a fantastic time. It's a great restaurant for a dinner that doesn't break the bank and has plenty of affordable wines to keep palates satiated.Special Features:
- Very friendly and attentivedavidVIPDined on 11/15/2013Very friendly and attentive management and service staff. Tables are a bit close and noise level quite high, but the Tagines that all 4 in our party ordered were delicious--- the place is always packed, obviously, reflecting satisfied patrons. Given how few restaurants are located in Murray Hill, this one is especially welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back in FezHowieDined on 11/4/2013Barbes restaurant was a great spot for a late lunch. We had the most wonderful Lamb Tangine this side of Morroco, with outstanding Couscous on the side. Our party of four spent a most enjoyable two hours eating, talking and drinking some very good affordable wine. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent post marathon dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2013We were in town for the marathon and had dinner afterwards with our runner and the whole family. All agree it was their best couscous in a restaurant , the chicken tagine was delicious and the pastilla very good. We were all very hungry , especially our runner, so we had several appetizers, the briouats were a big hit, the merguez brochettes were just the right spicy and the lamb ones were fought over! The place was cozy and quiet, the service efficient , just what we needed after a long cold day! Thank you, Barbes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoy Barbes. Always goodNewporterVIPDined on 10/28/2013We enjoy Barbes. Always good food and good service. A frequent and reliable restaurant for usSpecial Features:
- Quiet spot in a noisy neighborhoodSusanDined on 10/28/2013Right around the corner from the Empire State Building and loads of tourists is a small quiet place that serves delicious moroccan/mediterranean cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never let downdocalabroDined on 10/20/2013This was my 4th time at barbes. I can say each time I go, it never disappoints. They food is delicious, filling and unique. Yes you can get lamb and chicken and fish...but the way they cook it (Lamb Tangine, with prunes, ummm) and the duck breast are amazing. It's a very cute/romantic place in the heart of midtown. You will not go wrong if trying to find a great place to eat something different, and your friends will be impressed as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticLoYadoDined on 10/20/2013I have been there with my wife, food was good, ambience was little but cute...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First tryDaveVIPDined on 10/2/2013Well done we wanted to give this neighborhood restaurant a try and didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Excellent customer service.LillianDined on 10/1/2013Excellent customer service. The staff is friendly and helpful. Food with different flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food choices were verysusellDined on 9/28/2013The food choices were very different, but tasty. The wait staff was quite helpful in explaining some of the dishes. Parking in the area was quite difficult. Overall the experience was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the atmosphere mostlyDonnaDined on 9/18/2013It stayed true to the Moroccan theme but subtly. The menu could be more detailed with what ingredients/components make up the dish. I ordered the lamb couscous which unfortunately had many vegetables I did not enjoy and were too big, but softened from cooking. It also had raisins, which I don't like and if I knew they were in the dish I would have ordered more wisely. My boyfriend ordered a steak sandwich which was good, but I thought could have used a spread even though the steak was cooked to rare. Both entrees were presently really nicely and the service was very attentive. We both ordered red sangrias which I thought were good, but not amazing.Special Features:
- nice place. I enjoyed thedsgnchickVIPDined on 9/15/2013nice place. I enjoyed the mixed appetizer (hummus, eggplant ,and roasted pepper salad) and the lamb tagine. the service was extremely warm and solicitous.
- Fantastic Restaurant!!TrisherellaDined on 9/7/2013We went to this restaurant while on a trip to NYC for my Mom's 74th birthday. After consulting the menu on Open Table, we reserved. We were super happy. The food was delicious and presented nicely. We all had a different offering and no one was disappointed. I would suggest the duck or the Hanger steak. Both were amazing. The service was efficient and everyone was very friendly. The portion sizes were perfect and the food was well-spiced without the usual excessive saltiness of a less-accomplished chef. We thought seriously about returning the next day! The food was well-priced and they were accommodating to my celiac disease. We immediately recommended the restaurant at the hotel when we returned. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service ....foodFoodie1Dined on 8/27/2013Excellent service ....food good quality and well prepared. Interesting menu options. Ambience was nice....and noise level very moderate so no need to shout across the table. Will return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBishbamDined on 8/26/2013Awesome food and personalized service. Great neighborhood find !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, could be better.WawaVIPDined on 8/16/2013I went to Barbes with a few coworkers for lunch. We were greeted in a timely fashion but the waitress was not helpful with food recommendations at all. We ordered a bottle of white wine; which was served at room temperature. When we asked if they had a cold bottle; the waitress stated that they were all the same temperature. Otherwise, the food was delicious and the ambiance is lovely-- I wouldn't necessarily recommend this restaurant to a friend, but would definitely recommend their sister restaurant 'Arabesque'.Special Features:
- Tasteless Moroccan Foodsrk49VIPDined on 8/13/2013Arrived at 7 and the place was packed. Good sign we thought. The waitstaff hadn't a clue regarding how dishes were prepared. Chicken on or off the bone? No idea. Portion size of apps? Couldn't say. App combo with three types of offerings (eggplant, veggies, hummus) was good. Plate of pita bread put on every table when you sit down. Couscous with chicken had two one ounce pieces of chicken on the bone: tasteless. Lamb tangine just wasn't good. We were not transported to Morocco as other diners have stated. We read about Barbes on Open Table, Zagat and Yelp. We really wanted to like it but will not return. The food sadly disappoints.
- Lovely atmosphere, reasonable costisleofnewyorkDined on 8/9/2013This is a great find if you need to dine somewhere near the Morgan Library or elsewhere in the high East or West 30s. Interesting Moroccan menu ( tagines, couscous etc.), good wine list, quiet enough to have a conversation, but with enough buzz that it didn't feel dead. There was a TON of couscous with my dish, possibly made it seem drier than it was, and I think some of the vegetable pieces they included were a little clunky -- huge, unseasoned chunks. On the whole, though, I would go back and explore more of the offerings. Didn't feel cheap, but the prices were moderate, which is rare in a place so close to midtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PricyHazelVIPDined on 7/31/2013Good service, food did not have too much flavor and was very pricy.
- One of our favorite restaurants!NewporterVIPDined on 7/30/2013One of our favorite restaurants! Always dependable food and service. Tangines are great.Special Features:
- During a 4 day visit to NYCColoradoVIPDined on 7/21/2013During a 4 day visit to NYC my wife and I actually ate here twice... the food, service and ambience is that good! One evening we felt like eating lite and enjoyed great salads and a crab cake. Next night we greatly enjoyed traditional Moroccan dishes. The staff were genuine and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic Moroccan foodmadoakVIPDined on 7/14/2013Very tasty, authentic Moroccan food in a quiet, little restaurant in midtown Manhattan. They have a good assortment of tagines and couscous dishes which were well seasoned and amply sized. The eggplant appetizer, Zaalouk, was marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BARBES: MOROCCO IN MURRAY HILLTwiggyVIPDined on 7/9/2013This small and welcoming restaurant has a menu with traditional Moroccan dishes like tagines, grilled meats (served off the skewer), a wide array of salads, some fish, as well as a limited but well-chosen and reasonably priced wine list. The service is warm and friendly without being overbearing, and it is clear that word has gotten out; though it was empty at 6:30, by 7:30 the place was jammed. Yet no one rushed us, and they kept refilling our water glasses when we were in no hurry to leave. It's on an unassuming block (36th between 5th and Madison), but its central location makes it convenient from many different parts of town. The place has not an ounce of pretentiousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Barbes a numberNewporterVIPDined on 6/24/2013We have been to Barbes a number of times. Love it and the sister restaurant, Arabesque. Both have great food and wonderful service. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to Barbes andNewporterVIPDined on 6/12/2013First visit to Barbes and enjoyed it as much as their sister restaurant Arabesque. Great food, good service. All staff made us feel welcome and checked our needs throughout the dinner. We will definitely return. The Sea Bass Tangine was superb!Special Features:
- Great Tagine and CouscousWeekenderVIPDined on 4/17/2013This is a moderately priced french-north african fare restaurant which happened to be nearby a place we were visiting. To start we shared a mixed appetizer dish which was very delicious. Then I had Lamb tagine which was tender and flavored with Northern African spices and herbs. The other two persons went for a nicely made lamb couscous. The service was very attentive and brought the food timely. Water was also served as our glasses were getting empty. The place was too noisy. The other customers were loud talking to each other. I asked the waitress if they had more quiet times and she said normally it would be quieter by or before 6:30 PM on a weekday.Special Features:
- Delicious food! Very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/12/2013Delicious food! Very attentive staff but sometimes it felt like they were rushing to take our plates. It was great that they were on top of everything but I think giving the rest of the group a few minutes to finish their course would have been more relaxing. I would highly recommend all of the dishes we had - hummus, poutine, couscous were all delicious! Server gave great reviews of which she preferred which was helpful for some of the indecisive.Special Features:
- Moroccan FlairMare1952Dined on 4/5/2013Very nice service as always. Friends new to this menu throughly enjoyed. All dishes were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moroccan MemoriesHowieDined on 4/4/2013Lunch was outstanding, the Cous Cous and Lamb Tangine wonderful. A good bottle of red wine and the French desert topped it off. However, the food was not as wonderful when we went back some weeks later for dinner. Perhaps our mood, or the chef's, was off? Barbes can get very crowded and the tables are in close proximity to each other, so it can get loud. I will go back for the Moroccan food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2013Every bite, from appetizer to dessert was delicious. There are various couscous dishes and tangines as well as other entrees. Desserts such as chocolate mousse and creme brulee were also very good. The "souffle", however, although very good, was basically a chocolate volcano cake. I would recommend this restaurant and will return. The restaurant itself is small and quiet, with a warm welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:
- Everything was fine untilOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013Everything was fine until we asked for the check. then we sat and waited. and waited. and waited some more. No explanation, no apology, no offer for a free drink or dessert. nothing. after a while, we noticed that their computer was down and that the waiter was manually calculating the check. only problem was he was doing other tables which had actually finished after us. we waited over half an hour just for him to figure out our bill! and we were only 6 people! How complicated could it have been? and after all that, it was wrong! Of course, s*** happens and computers break - but a good maitre' d knows how to take care of his customers. this guy didn't and he won't get our business again
- Although the restaurant wasntOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013Although the restaurant wasnt packed, the service was very slow. Great couscous dishes.Special Features:
- We've been here four times,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2013We've been here four times, three with guests and everyoe enjoyed it whether they were having one of their Moroccan specialnties, like the Tagines, or steak or whole bronzino.The service is friendly and gracious.They're also around the corner from the Morgan Library and offer discounts to ticket holders for their concert series.Special Features:
- I always enjoy the cuisine.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/5/2013I always enjoy the cuisine. Initially the music was too loud, not conducive to conversation - all percussion. They were accommodating and adjusted the volume.
- Give your review a title (optional)PatsyVIPDined on 2/20/2013The atmosphere here is exotic (in a good way). I enjoy Moroccan food and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Inferior Middle eastern food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/15/2013Inferior Middle eastern food. If your hummus is uninspiring, you are in deep trouble.
- Had a delightful lunch withOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/13/2013Had a delightful lunch with my daughter, who works in neighborhood. Charming decor. Mediterranean salad more than enough for 2 to start, although tomato with goat cheese and pesto delidh. I had a light shrimp dish, my dtr a seafood tagine. All excellent. Charming host offered us a comp glass of wine! Alas, had to run. Made decision to revisit soonSpecial Features:
- Unusual Moroccan cuisine,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/10/2013Unusual Moroccan cuisine, well-prepared and at a reasonable price.Special Features: