19-21 East 36th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbesrestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126840215
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am; Bar: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, African, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
A word from Barbes Restaurant
Barbes Restaurant is named after the famous Paris neighborhood at the foot of the Sacre-Coeur, also known as the 'little piece of North Africa'. The Northernmost part of Africa, the Maghreb, is comprised of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia with cultures captivating with their cuisine, music and decor. Barbes is a melting pot of Parisian and Maghreb cultures and Barbes Restaurant carries that spirit. 'Our restaurant strives to bring the atmosphere of Barbès here in New York. Through our menu and ambiance we aim to immerse our clientele in the unique colors, tastes and sounds of Barbes.'Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbes Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (12)romantic (10)notable wine list (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Superb Food and ServicemichgidDined on 1/11/2014This was our first time dining at Barbes. The food was exceptional as was the service. We were impressed by the wine list as well. We will go backSpecial Features:
- Delicious but a bit expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014It’s self-defined a "French Moroccan". The food was delicious but the portions pretty small and every "side" is extra. So if look at it as "French": prices are reasonable. If you look at it as "Moroccan" it’s a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wine list is notable forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/9/2014The wine list is notable for interesting bottles at under $40, and a very wide selection under $50. I went with two friends who wanted to enjoy food and drink while we caught up on recent life experiences. We spent about 2.5 hours at the restaurant doing exactly as we planned, so for our purposes, it was perfect.Special Features:
- Great, all around!HungryManVIPDined on 12/30/2013Delicious food and attentive service made for a spectacular and tasty dinner! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceelderVIPDined on 12/29/2013I only recently learned that Barbes is the sister restaurant of Arabesque. Both our outstanding. The skewered lamb melts in your mouth. The place has a cozy feel. Very inviting. The service is excellent ... the staff are extremely professional and attentive. I highly recommend either of their restaurants.Special Features:
- Morrocco in NY... nice findChickVIPDined on 12/28/2013We found this through Open table and were very pleased with the atmosphere and the waiters ( Gary in particular) were really on the ball and were part of the evening but not intrusive. Noise level was low but only half full at the time we were there . the place is pleasingly small and quaint and decorated to fit the food that is offered . I like a restaurant to play music that also fits the type of decor and food that they serve to complete the experience! They had the "real deal" atmosphere at Barbes!! The mussels were great in the local broth and had a bold , spicy flavor without being over bearing . Not all people have a taste for lamb but if you do the lamb chops were outstanding !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu; the food is well-preparJoeEatsDined on 12/17/2013Great menu; the food is well-prepared, with generous servings. Service was fast and very friendlySpecial Features:
- Too much noise for a holiday partylisasclafDined on 12/14/2013This was our first visit to Barbes and it started off well as the restaurant has nice ambience, was warm during the snow storm and the food was excellent. Also, the management and waitstaff were very nice and attentive. Unfortunately, they had hired a DJ for the Saturday evening and it ruined our get together with old friends. We left early and had dessert at Starbucks across the street where it was much quieter. I would go back if I could be sure there would be no music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent representation of MoroccoabgandpdsDined on 12/14/2013Whoever thought chicken and cinnamon would be so perfect together?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MOROCCAN MARVELTRAVELERDined on 12/13/2013Barbes has a great ambience. You feel like you are in Morocco. The menu selections were mouthwatering to read. Highly recommend and will certainly return to this gem.Special Features:
- food portions were skimpyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2013food portions were skimpy and the service was not good.
- FOUND THE COMFORT LEVEL TOJeryVIPDined on 12/13/2013FOUND THE COMFORT LEVEL TO TAKE AWAY FROM VERY GOOD FOOD AND SERVICE > TABLES MUCH TO CLOSE TROUBLE GETTING IN AND OUT> TROUBLE WITH PEOPLE WALKING BY AND BRUSHING UP AGAINST YOU WHILE EATINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a convenient Moroccan gemOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/7/2013Just a few blocks from the theater district, this place is a find. Moderately priced authentic Moroccan food--with French bistro food on the menu too, not surprising considering Morocco's history. Briouats, miniature pastilla appetizers is delicious (you can also get it as a main course) The Zaalouk, roasted eggplant, was another winner. They have an assortment of tangines and cous cous--all very good. If you want to try Moroccan wines, there are several to choose from. The service was gracious and very welcoming. We will be back.Special Features:
- Very Nice SurpriseHartsdaleDined on 12/6/2013We had no idea what to expect and found very friendly and attentive service, excellent food and an overall great experience. One of our part was half an hour late and it was absolutely no problem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !samiaDined on 11/27/2013Excellent service and food. We happened upon this gem late in the eve of Thanksgiving and though their doors were locked, they invitingly opened the doors and encouraged us to take our time enjoying a meal. Food, service and ambiance were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good servicevipermanDined on 11/23/2013Restaurant has a good selection of appetizers, entrees and wines. Service was very good. Food was cooked to perfection . Service was quick but not rushed. Quiet, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Restaurant with DELICIOUS FoodNYCstudentfoodieDined on 11/23/2013Brought my family here for a late Saturday lunch. The restaurant was decently full but the noise level was nice and low--perfect for conversation without being too eerily quiet. Our server was wonderful, meeting all our requests with a smile (my mom's coffee was too strong and she didn't hesitate to whip up a new one). I ordered the smoked salmon benedict, my mom got the Mediterranean salad, and my dad and sister got the chicken and lamb kebabs (respectively). The food was absolutely delicious, perfect portions that are well worth the relatively low prices. The best part? THE AMBIENCE. So cozy. It's a real gem in the neighborhood; I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed the atmosphere of a restaurant so much. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service up to snuffK2skier95Dined on 11/22/2013The reviewers complaining that service here is poor, obviously do not appreciate an intimate, family run restaurant. It's true that service can be a little slow, but that is to be expected in a restaurant that is the size of a person's living room. If Barbes had any more than 3 servers, they would be running into one another. Even though it took it took a good 10 - 15 minutes to bring us our first drink order, the service they provided was second to none. We went here for my birthday and the restaurant went out of their way to cater to our group. The food was very good, everyone had a fantastic time. It's a great restaurant for a dinner that doesn't break the bank and has plenty of affordable wines to keep palates satiated.Special Features:
- Very friendly and attentivedavidVIPDined on 11/15/2013Very friendly and attentive management and service staff. Tables are a bit close and noise level quite high, but the Tagines that all 4 in our party ordered were delicious--- the place is always packed, obviously, reflecting satisfied patrons. Given how few restaurants are located in Murray Hill, this one is especially welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back in FezHowieDined on 11/4/2013Barbes restaurant was a great spot for a late lunch. We had the most wonderful Lamb Tangine this side of Morroco, with outstanding Couscous on the side. Our party of four spent a most enjoyable two hours eating, talking and drinking some very good affordable wine. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent post marathon dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2013We were in town for the marathon and had dinner afterwards with our runner and the whole family. All agree it was their best couscous in a restaurant , the chicken tagine was delicious and the pastilla very good. We were all very hungry , especially our runner, so we had several appetizers, the briouats were a big hit, the merguez brochettes were just the right spicy and the lamb ones were fought over! The place was cozy and quiet, the service efficient , just what we needed after a long cold day! Thank you, Barbes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoy Barbes. Always goodNewporterVIPDined on 10/28/2013We enjoy Barbes. Always good food and good service. A frequent and reliable restaurant for usSpecial Features:
- Quiet spot in a noisy neighborhoodSusanDined on 10/28/2013Right around the corner from the Empire State Building and loads of tourists is a small quiet place that serves delicious moroccan/mediterranean cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never let downdocalabroDined on 10/20/2013This was my 4th time at barbes. I can say each time I go, it never disappoints. They food is delicious, filling and unique. Yes you can get lamb and chicken and fish...but the way they cook it (Lamb Tangine, with prunes, ummm) and the duck breast are amazing. It's a very cute/romantic place in the heart of midtown. You will not go wrong if trying to find a great place to eat something different, and your friends will be impressed as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticLoYadoDined on 10/20/2013I have been there with my wife, food was good, ambience was little but cute...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First tryDaveVIPDined on 10/2/2013Well done we wanted to give this neighborhood restaurant a try and didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Excellent customer service.LillianDined on 10/1/2013Excellent customer service. The staff is friendly and helpful. Food with different flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food choices were verysusellDined on 9/28/2013The food choices were very different, but tasty. The wait staff was quite helpful in explaining some of the dishes. Parking in the area was quite difficult. Overall the experience was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the atmosphere mostlyDonnaDined on 9/18/2013It stayed true to the Moroccan theme but subtly. The menu could be more detailed with what ingredients/components make up the dish. I ordered the lamb couscous which unfortunately had many vegetables I did not enjoy and were too big, but softened from cooking. It also had raisins, which I don't like and if I knew they were in the dish I would have ordered more wisely. My boyfriend ordered a steak sandwich which was good, but I thought could have used a spread even though the steak was cooked to rare. Both entrees were presently really nicely and the service was very attentive. We both ordered red sangrias which I thought were good, but not amazing.Special Features:
- nice place. I enjoyed thedsgnchickVIPDined on 9/15/2013nice place. I enjoyed the mixed appetizer (hummus, eggplant ,and roasted pepper salad) and the lamb tagine. the service was extremely warm and solicitous.
- Fantastic Restaurant!!TrisherellaDined on 9/7/2013We went to this restaurant while on a trip to NYC for my Mom's 74th birthday. After consulting the menu on Open Table, we reserved. We were super happy. The food was delicious and presented nicely. We all had a different offering and no one was disappointed. I would suggest the duck or the Hanger steak. Both were amazing. The service was efficient and everyone was very friendly. The portion sizes were perfect and the food was well-spiced without the usual excessive saltiness of a less-accomplished chef. We thought seriously about returning the next day! The food was well-priced and they were accommodating to my celiac disease. We immediately recommended the restaurant at the hotel when we returned. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service ....foodFoodie1Dined on 8/27/2013Excellent service ....food good quality and well prepared. Interesting menu options. Ambience was nice....and noise level very moderate so no need to shout across the table. Will return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBishbamVIPDined on 8/26/2013Awesome food and personalized service. Great neighborhood find !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, could be better.WawaVIPDined on 8/16/2013I went to Barbes with a few coworkers for lunch. We were greeted in a timely fashion but the waitress was not helpful with food recommendations at all. We ordered a bottle of white wine; which was served at room temperature. When we asked if they had a cold bottle; the waitress stated that they were all the same temperature. Otherwise, the food was delicious and the ambiance is lovely-- I wouldn't necessarily recommend this restaurant to a friend, but would definitely recommend their sister restaurant 'Arabesque'.Special Features:
- Tasteless Moroccan Foodsrk49VIPDined on 8/13/2013Arrived at 7 and the place was packed. Good sign we thought. The waitstaff hadn't a clue regarding how dishes were prepared. Chicken on or off the bone? No idea. Portion size of apps? Couldn't say. App combo with three types of offerings (eggplant, veggies, hummus) was good. Plate of pita bread put on every table when you sit down. Couscous with chicken had two one ounce pieces of chicken on the bone: tasteless. Lamb tangine just wasn't good. We were not transported to Morocco as other diners have stated. We read about Barbes on Open Table, Zagat and Yelp. We really wanted to like it but will not return. The food sadly disappoints.
- Lovely atmosphere, reasonable costisleofnewyorkDined on 8/9/2013This is a great find if you need to dine somewhere near the Morgan Library or elsewhere in the high East or West 30s. Interesting Moroccan menu ( tagines, couscous etc.), good wine list, quiet enough to have a conversation, but with enough buzz that it didn't feel dead. There was a TON of couscous with my dish, possibly made it seem drier than it was, and I think some of the vegetable pieces they included were a little clunky -- huge, unseasoned chunks. On the whole, though, I would go back and explore more of the offerings. Didn't feel cheap, but the prices were moderate, which is rare in a place so close to midtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PricyHazelVIPDined on 7/31/2013Good service, food did not have too much flavor and was very pricy.
- One of our favorite restaurants!NewporterVIPDined on 7/30/2013One of our favorite restaurants! Always dependable food and service. Tangines are great.Special Features:
- During a 4 day visit to NYCColoradoVIPDined on 7/21/2013During a 4 day visit to NYC my wife and I actually ate here twice... the food, service and ambience is that good! One evening we felt like eating lite and enjoyed great salads and a crab cake. Next night we greatly enjoyed traditional Moroccan dishes. The staff were genuine and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic Moroccan foodmadoakVIPDined on 7/14/2013Very tasty, authentic Moroccan food in a quiet, little restaurant in midtown Manhattan. They have a good assortment of tagines and couscous dishes which were well seasoned and amply sized. The eggplant appetizer, Zaalouk, was marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.