Le Bateau Ivre
230 E. 51st Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Le Bateau Ivre
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.lebateauivrenyc.com/
- Phone: 2125830579
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Daily: 4:00pm - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, French
- Executive Chef: HERBERT ROBERTSON
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: we can accomodate every kind of party, up to 40 people, special menu on request.
- Private Party Contact: amael or Herbert 2125830579
A word from Le Bateau Ivre
Le Bateau Ivre, a true french wine bar, raw bar and grill, opened on Manhattan's eat side in 1999. Le Bateau ivre offers more than 300 varieties of the finest French wines by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Le Bateau Ivre - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Le Bateau Ivre reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (25)neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (9)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Would not honor reservationAbcdVIPDined on 10/22/2013They refused to honor our OpenTable reservation that was made two hours prior. And when the hostess decided that she could not make a table available simply told us that we would have to wait "a long time". That kind of attitude and unwillingness to accommodate is just not acceptable. Won't ever go back.
- Great neighborhood bistro.winnieDined on 10/19/2013Reasonably priced French bistro that is mostly frequented by locals. A friend who lives nearby turned me on to it. The space is small but comfortable. The staff is French. Our waitress last week was quite nice but I do recall getting the French waiter attitude in the past, which makes this little gem even more charming. Only criticism is that the skate I ordered was was not deboned. The waitress told me customers do it on their own. Maybe they teach this in kindergarten in France, but this American has no clue how to debone a fish! I sent it back to be deboned but I have to say, it was a first! Anyhew, I still think it's a charming and reasonably priced place to eat in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner and charmingMumaVIPDined on 10/18/2013Delicious dinner and charming service. Lovely ambiance. One of my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Vintage HavenJackAGordonVIPDined on 10/10/2013I've been to The Drunken Boat three times in the last three months with some fellow wine-loving friends. We've had some stellar bottles ('75 Palmer, '96 Ausone, etc.) at great prices. The food complements the wine wonderfully. I just hope they keep restocking the cellar with back vintages!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place near work and for localsBeatrizDined on 10/8/2013Sweet, fun restaurant for French food, good wine, not too pretentious, decent lighting with a wide windowed front that has outdoor dining in season. As a health conscious eater who wants food to taste great, I had limited options but found something to enjoy. My companion loved his burger and was impressed with the wine list (and he would know). Don't know if it's good for brunch but it looks like it would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in midtownRobandMuffieVIPDined on 10/7/2013The ambience is perfectly Parisian. The food and wine of a Parisienne caliber but the service was warm, attentive and pleasant. This restaurant was a real find.Special Features:
- A little piece of Paris in NYCWoAiDined on 10/5/2013A lovely little wine bar / bistro serving very decent casual French dishes. The service was efficient and by French standards, surprisingly warm! Ambiance was great as the place was full. Don't go if you want privacy as all the tales are close together but that's part of the appeal in my opinion. Loved the onion soup, duck confit and profiteroles. If I had the chance to go again I'd try something more adventurous but I like to start with the classics which they did well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Late Night Dinnerfrancisco2prVIPDined on 10/4/2013Le Bateau Ivre is open very late (till 4am, I think), so it is good for an after theater or later dinner. The menu includes all standard French bistro items and more. Everything that I tried was not spectacular, but was not bad either. A good choice after others have closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureSusyVIPDined on 9/30/2013This is probably my 30th time I've been here over the years. It is still a perfect spot for date or a quiet catch up between friends. Service and food is always wonderful - never hit or miss. Can definitely get more lively as the evening goes on, especially on the weekends, but I usually dine here early eve or after hours. One of my favorite spots in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchDennyDined on 9/15/2013Only had a Sunday brunch, nice food good service. Band playing in the background. Very relaxed after running around New York.Special Features:
- Food Worth Waiting ForOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2013Before going I read reviews which complained about the service and long wait. I beg these people to recall the many times they are chewing their last bite of entree when the dessert menu is being shoved under their noses. This lovely restaurant is a bit of Paris, so I say: slow down Parisian style and enjoy! Yes, there was some wait for each course but when each course came, I was transported! Wonderfully fresh produce and heavenly sauces that one WANTS to take the time to savor. Waitstaff were most friendly and, thankfully, not interrupting each bite to ask me how it was. I appreciate this and call this GOOD SERVICE, not poor. I left feeling satisfied, happy, relaxed. Also, prices were very fair for the generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing service and ambiancFrequentDinerNYCVIPDined on 8/28/2013I've had brunch at this restaurant many times and have always liked the food and service. This particular DINNER-time experience was very disappointing. The service was mediocre and the noise level was very high. Also, there was a large party sitting next to us and our table was way too close to theirs. The wait staff kept *squeezing* in between our table and theirs, and continually touched us, stepped on us, etc. The food was good but the overall dining experience was disappointing. Not sure I will return in the near future.Special Features:
- Great Service, a perfect nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2013We Chose This Restaurant Based On Midtown Location, French Category. Don't Be Concerned About Other Reviews Describing As Mostly a wine Bar Scene, The Wine Bar Is Great But So Is The Table Service And Food. Really Nice Experience, I Recommend The pate For And Appetizer And One Of The Several Duck Choices For Entree. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and WineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2013Bateau Ivre offers the combination of superb food with good wine by the glass. The menu is varied and the food taken seriously. And the recommendations for matching wine to food led to rewarding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blues would play welllevinbaDined on 8/2/2013I hated the music selection. Too many different types of musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceFoodDined on 7/11/2013I have been to the Bateau Ivre a few times. Disapointing to see service which used to be good going bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clueless staffGemmaVIPDined on 7/11/2013When we arrived with a reservation, the wait staff was not sure where to seat us even though the restaurant was empty and there were 3 tables that indicated "reserved" I would have thought that would be a good indication, then after being seated we were warned that we may be moved!?!?! How absurd is that? The restaurant is small, but we were only a party do two! Get your act together, this could have been a five star experience, but the staff definitely knock 3 of those stars down.....Special Features:
- Magnifique!nimrodVIPDined on 6/22/2013Sweet, cozy little wine bar with perfect food made us feel like we were on the Ile St-Louis. We had a charming waitress who recommended perfect wines to go with our two main courses. I had a Confit de Canard (always my litmus test when trying out a new French restaurant) and my husband had what he declared was the perfect Lapin a la moutarde. We're planning to go back on Bastille Day!Special Features:
- Very nice, but not for vegetariansNYDinerDined on 6/19/2013Nice place, good portions and taste. Few veg options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful wine list!!SusyVIPDined on 6/12/2013They have Lillet!! Yay!! Great food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Outstanding wine list & cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/12/2013Outstanding wine list & cuisine française. Had salade d'endives & confit de canard. Both were excellent and atmosphere was upbeat & fun. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a businessDominiqueDined on 6/11/2013Good place for a business lunch. French bistrot stapples on the menu. Overall, a nice place. Will certainly come back.
- We had a great dining experience.ThRLMJLVIPDined on 6/1/2013We had a great dining experience.The food was nicely prepared and presented well. I really enjoyed the smoked duck and pate. We enjoyed a creme carmel dessert. All in all, we were looking for a light dinner in a bistro atmosphere and we got it at Le Bateau Ivre.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/1/2013A great little spot with a friendly neighborhood vibe. My husband and I shared a cheese and charcuterie plate which was very substantial. Many wines by the glass, attentive service. For a casual French meal, this is a winner. Also, for a welcome change, the noise level was not turned up to 11. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- The music was so loud!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/26/2013The music was so loud it ruined the whole experience - even after we asked to have it turned down, it was still unbearable. And this was a Sunday evening at 6:30 pm. Too bad.
- Happy PatronOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2013The food was exquisite and the service was superb. I highly recommended.Special Features:
- The food was very good, andDS628VIPDined on 5/1/2013The food was very good, and the service was splendid. We found the restaurant to be a vibrant, yet romantic, neighborhood french gem. The Maitre D was also very accomodating. Overall, well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite spot for years!SusyVIPDined on 4/30/2013Yay they are finally on OpenTable. Great for an early dinner, becomes very busy in the later hours, stays open until 4am A must on the menu are the mussels, cooked in cream, shallots -- my favorite in the city. Huge portion, very shareable. Wonderful notable wine list. Did not have our requested chilled bottle of rose, another was suggested in it's place. Even though the newly suggested was a higher price point, same price was given. Very accommodating staff and you are never rushed here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning presentations ofMargaloDined on 4/18/2013Stunning presentations of some classics, prepared with care. Every bite was delicious, service delightful.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurant.YevrahDined on 4/14/2013Nice neighborhood restaurant. Good service and very nice presentation.Special Features:
- We got a cozy, relativelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2013We got a cozy, relatively quiet table in the corner away from the bar. When my husband did not like a wine that was recommended, the waitress offered to bring him another type. Our beet salad, our endive salad, and our two selections of pate were all fabulous. It turns out we had been there before a few years ago. We would go back, although the space is cramped and noisy.Special Features:
- Eating here was a great breakNYGalVIPDined on 4/8/2013Eating here was a great break from the usual business-lunch venues near my office. It was quiet and calm! We did not feel rushed at all,
- Romantic with exceptional servicehkwhVIPDined on 3/15/2013I love this restaurant because it feels like a slice of Paris, is romantic and has incredibly warm service.Ammel(sp?) the guy with the long ponytail was very charming and makes you feel very special. This is a great date night place and cozy. The food was good except the cod appetizer was a bit salty. They were wonderful about seating us where we had requested and even gave us free champagne while we waited for our table. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- This is primarily a wine bar.worldtravelVIPDined on 3/6/2013This is primarily a wine bar. But the food is pretty good considering. If you like grilled meat or grilled fish you would really enjoy eating here. The wine list is excellent. I have also tried their wine-cocktails which are awesome.Special Features:
- Authentic french bistro withoutOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013Authentic french bistro without the attitude.. Great neighborhood find... The whole package; food, wine, service, and atmosphere were outstanding. Music, at times, is loud...so much so it made conversation difficult...Special Features:
- Transported to ParisBevBVIPDined on 2/13/2013Step into Le Bateau Ivre and you feel transported to spending an evening in a charming casual bistro on the Left Bank of Paris. The food is terrific (try the blue point oysters and the duck), the wine list outstanding (especially all of the wines by the glass!) and the service was so good it was almost clairvoyant - when my friend accidentally dropped her knife the waiter immediately ran over with a replacement - never hovered but was right there just as we wanted him. Fast becoming one of my favorite spots for a girls' night out, dinner with friends and even a date.Special Features:
- The food was truly superbOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2013The food was truly superb - perfect for a winter Sunday night. However, service was inconsistent and largely slow and inattentive. I was dining at one of two deuces in the room, seated right next to each other. At one point, all four of us were waiving our arms to get attention from a group of servers chatting at the bar. I found this entirely unacceptable considering the restaurant was not busy at all at the time.Special Features:
- Great french bistro midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/1/2013Great french bistro midtown Manhattan. I go there every time I can when in NYCSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed our meals quiteMellVIPDined on 12/8/2012We enjoyed our meals quite and bit! We were a little disappointed that some of our selections for the evening were unavailable, but we made out fine with our second choices.
- My girlfriend and I used toOrlandoVIPDined on 11/2/2012My girlfriend and I used to dine at Le Bateau Ivre regularly years ago. Because of the Hurricane Sandy we rediscovered Le Bateau Ivre. We will never wait so long again. The food was outstanding. The service was exceptional. With the tragedy which was Sandy, to be in a familiar place with good food, excellent wine and a service staff that treats you like family was a welcome distraction from what we were going through with Hurricane Sandy. Le Bateau Ivre thank you and we will back very soonSpecial Features: