Mari Vanna DC
1141 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
Mari Vanna DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marivanna.ru/
- Phone: 2027837777x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, Sunday: 11:30 am - 12:00 am
Friday, Saturday: 11:30 am - 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Eastern European, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Azamat Zhanizakov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Occupying the third floor, Mari Vanna"s Parlor is an ideal space in which to host your next private dining event. Inviting, intricate, and intimate, the Parlor is complete with it's own bar, private access and seating for all your invitees.
- Private Party Contact: Tatiana Mis 2027837777x
- Entertainment: To enhance our guest experience there will be live entertainment as well as DJ driven ambiance throughout the week. Weekends and events hosted by Special Guests will be announced via our VIP mailing list.
A word from Mari Vanna DC
Nestled in the Heart of the Dupont Circle District of Washington, D.C., Mari Vanna Restaurant offers homestyle Russian delicacies admits a unique fine dining atmosphere.Continued
Swathed in a luxurious decor reminiscent of Victorian Era opulence, Mari Vanna marries Russian nobility with folk art and the simplicity of Soviet Union austerity.From traditional Borscht and blinis to inimitable caviar and champagne, Mari Vanna offers Russian cooking fit for those who pursue delectable cuisine and impeccable service.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mari Vanna DC reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)fit for foodies (46)romantic (42)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (29)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (17)late-night find (17)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amazing authentic RussianInternatldinerDined on 5/16/2014Lived in Russia for three months, and mari vanna is the most authentic I've had since coming back to America! Waiters and waitresses all speak Russian, interesting old world meets trendy ambience, and AMAZING pelmeni and blini!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Russian FoodYUMMYTUMMYVIPDined on 5/16/2014Having spend time in Russia, much of the food here is exactly what you would eat in that country. It is not American style Russian cuisine. Overall the food is very good, and the service is efficient and friendly. Portion size of many dishes is small and not a particularly good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and authenticFoodfan101Dined on 5/11/2014Authentic Russian cuisine made with fresh ingredients. Simply a treat from the bread to the infused vodkas to the entrees, and of course, the desert. Chicken Kiev and pelmeni were outstanding. The birds milk cake was a delight. Decorated in a light, white and floral decor reminiscent of Russian country shabby chic, it creates a romantic vibe, yet also a cosy comfortable place for families with kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip brunch, go for dinnernatooooDined on 5/11/2014Went for brunch on Mother's Day. The brunch food isn't anything special. Skip everything and go straight for the blinis. They're so good. I've been for dinner and would say it's a much better value then. Overall though, the restaurant is beautiful, the accordion player was lovely, and brunch is reasonably priced as far as bottomless brunches in DC go.Special Features:
- Caviar and Champagne pleaseFreespeechDined on 5/10/2014We went to this place to have caviar and champagne, and Mari delivers!! The Bilinis were awesome that came with the caviar. We did split the Beef Stragonoaf which was surprising full of flavor. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastyJasmineDined on 5/10/2014Mari Vanna has a wide selection of food. I ordered the mushroom varenikis and they were great. Cocktails are phenomenal. I'm not very familiar with Russian food, but it seemed authentic and the staff was Russian.Special Features:
- Great foodUddinDined on 5/9/2014The food was great, the service was great but you had to wait for a long time before being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotBCampbellDined on 5/8/2014A fan favorite. The service was excellent and flavored vodkas will impress, whether or not you're a vodka drinker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a second reviewDCNightOutVIPDined on 5/8/2014I gave this place outstanding marks before, and back it up again this time. At no point was the food, service, ambiance anything other than A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!faiolieDined on 5/8/2014Incredible food, very good service, we are definitely going to be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the atmospherersubs33Dined on 5/3/2014The atmosphere here was great and different from most other places in the DC. Everything from plates to the menu screamed Eastern European and the accordion player was just the finishing touch. I highly recommend the Russian Dumplings and checking out the Vodka tasting.Special Features:
- UniqueStephanieKVIPDined on 5/3/2014We dined at Mari Vanna with another couple. We all agreed that the fthe appetizer salads and blinis and eggplant were outstanding. Everyone at the table went wild over the dark bread on the bread plate. The cabbage rolls and borsht we had as main courses were a bit of a disappointment, as they were very bland. The borsht could have used a lot more vegetables and meat. The service was outstanding. Our server turned the way too loud music down when we asked, and we were able to have a wonderful conversation without shouting. She also wrote separate checks for each couple upon request. She brought a second bread plate comprising only the dark bread. The ambiance is charming--looks like Grandma's house in the Russian countryside.
- cute placerwhittxoDined on 5/3/2014My first Russian restaurant experience in Virginia. I love it, and it was great. The tv was playing a show I used to watch when I was younger in Russia and the food was very good! will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than vodkaFormerFedVIPDined on 5/1/2014My girlfriend thought her chicken entree could have used some garlic, but otherwise we were pleased with our food. We shared the meat platter appetizers and I got the Siberian dumplings and a side of buckwheat, as had become my habit here. We had eight different flavors of vodka (four each) and no room for dessert. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulLapkritisDined on 4/28/2014If you have friends who can appreciate "Herring under a fur coat," then this is the right place for you. We had appetizers (the herring dish, pelmeni, mushroom blini) and dessert (vareniki) with the happy hour $4 shots of infused vodka. Our waitress hovered when we first got there, but once the place got busy, it was hard to get her attention. We were more interested in spending time together, so the multiple requests to select an entree were a little much, until they realized we were sticking to small dishes. I love coming here. Decor is eye candy.Special Features:
- Ambiance Good ,Food so-soAmbianceDined on 4/24/2014Mari Vanna is not for food but for fun--a more precious commodity . The ambiance is it. And the service is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehfoodtravelerDined on 4/20/2014Do not bother spending this much on beets and potatoes unless you are craving Russian food and cannot get it anywhere else. The infused vodka is great, but not worth suffering through the below average food.Special Features:
- Darling RestaurantBuongustaiaVIPDined on 4/16/2014This place is simply adorable. I have never been to Russia but it had a very French character to it. Food was very good and plentiful and our server was lovely and efficient. Even she was dressed in a sweet printed dress that went with the décor. My only gripe was a large table next to us celebrating a birthday. They had two children that were allowed to run wild and noisy, almost knocking down the waitress with a tray. No one seemed to mind but us.Special Features:
- spaciba! thank you ;)SuziQDined on 4/12/2014surprised my boyfriend with dinner at Mari Vanna! such a fun festive restaurant..lively, energetic, and the cuisine is authentic! the hostess Alina was perfect, warm, welcoming, and excited to receive us!and our waitress Anastasia was professional, friendly, hospitable, and accomdating! We had Artum the accordian player perform a happy birthday melody for my boyfriend as a surprise and it was fantastic!!!!Special Features:
- Russian essenceakulikov1Dined on 4/10/2014Superb ambiance. The decor and The menu captured Russian character. The occasional accordion interludes were fun although a bit disruptive. The quality of food gets a B, as Russian food can be so much tastier. The service is slow and disorganized. The wait was obnoxiously long. If u are with a group of friends, this should not be a problem, but the place is not good for a first date, unless you don't mind awkward silences while waiting for your meal to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Отличный ужин!VVV007VIPDined on 4/10/2014Выбрали Мари Ванну для неформального ужина с бизнес-партнерами. Отличный сервис, веселая непринужденная атмосфера, русская экзотика и вкусная кухня! Вечер удался! Спасибо коллективу Мари Ванны! P.s. Есть постное меню, что нонсенс для Америки! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mini-vacation to RussiaSheriDined on 4/7/2014I went to Mari Vanna for a birthday lunch for a friend. The decor is unique and adorable. Our server was very helpful and attentive (he is from Moldavia, I believe). Such a fun menu of cocktails -- and the blinis as a shared appetizer were fabulous. The beet salad was the best I ever had and I loved my trout entree and the delicious Russian black bread. Six of us split a Napoleon for dessert -- even my one bite of dessert was heavenly with delicious strong Russian coffee. They did a nice job of celebrating the birthday with a special complimentary cocktail for the b-day girl, plus a candle in the dessert and a Russian birthday song with tamborines.Special Features:
- Much Better Than Last TimeLoveDeuxaveVIPDined on 4/6/2014We went to brunch again at Mari Vanna DC. The food was good, as usual. And this time, the service was better. Our server was very nice and attentive. We appreciated the smile on his face. A positive attitude is crucial to a positive experience overall. Let's hope we get good service again next time! P.S. This was my first Sunday brunch there - on Sundays, you don't have access to the regular menu - there's an open buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVikaDined on 4/5/2014I was expecting it to be like couple other 'Russian' restaurants in the area but everything from the atmosphere to the vodka and dishes exceeded my expectations. I felt like I was back home in Russia. Great job! Already planning my return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceUnderwhelmedDined on 4/4/2014The restaurant looks like your grandma's living room, but the food is better than anything she would cook. Delicious entrees included the Cornish game hen (chicken tabaka) and entrecot (flattened filet mignon with mushrooms and cheese). Desserts: Onegin (chocolate), Bird's Milk (Chocolate napoleon), and Semalek (sp?, strawberries, sponge, and cream). Bar was loud and we were right on top of it. Free vodka shot was gross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrendous servicercshthwkDined on 4/3/2014Absolute F-minus on service. Twenty minutes before anyone showed up to take our order. Then they forgot our drinks (but did eventually bring them), then they forgot to bring my meal, which was odd since they did bring my friend's meal.
- soviets ruin russian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/2/2014Everything was strange. Entrecote was dreadful. Beef stroganoff was served not with noodles, but buckwheat.....not a good combination. Herring could have been sushi with no flavor. Noise level did not encourage conversation. I was underwhelmed and each member of our party was very disappointed. We will not return.
- Great food!ScifnarDined on 4/1/2014This was our first time at a restaurant specializing in Russian food and drinks. The appetizer, a basket of pirozhok bread stuffed with various items (mushrooms, beef, etc.) was outstanding. The main course, I had seared and roasted entrecote (filet minion) and my companion had chcken kiev. The entrecote was very tasty and tender and the chicken was good but not quite as good as the entrecote. The strawberry infused vodka was very good and I will order it again. For dessert, we had onegin, which is a sponge cake with almonds and caremel and a couple of other things and it was delicious. The waitress and servers were polite and friendly and prompt throughout. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestYulisDined on 3/31/2014The best russian restaurant in US(from east to west)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeGSVIPDined on 3/27/2014Great spot for authentic Russian food and ambience, amazing staff and very lively bar/lounge scene upstairs on weekend nights. Great unlimited brunch buffet on Sunday for a bargain price and drink specials all the time. One of the best places in Dupont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed by the dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/25/2014Disappointed by the dinner menu. Lunch menu is much better. Get the strawberry vodka shot, don't get the pearSpecial Features:
- Services that just has no rhythmCCarrVIPDined on 3/20/2014We arrived on time for the reservation, were seated upstairs in an area that is way too tight. It could use one less table. We were greeted almost immediately by our server. He took our order. It took 30 minutes for drinks to arrive. Salads arrived 20 minutes later, followed 30 SECONDS later by entrees. When we refused the entrees, it took another 30 minutes to return. We had ordered an appetizer for before the salads. It came right after the entree. When the food came, it was very good. I recommend the beet salad. But the lousy service and cramped quarters will make me think twice before returning. Prices are way too high to be treated like that.
- Authentic Russian fareGallivantingRangeRatDined on 3/17/2014Friendly, attentive service. Traditional eastern European/Russian fare prepared authentically. My wife is of Czech origin and agreed that the food was prepared like her parents would have. Tasty Russian deserts. The signature infused vodkas are good, however, the Georgian red wines were underwhelming.Special Features:
- Terrible food, even worse serviceMeganVIPDined on 3/15/2014Atmosphere was the only positive. The food was terrible and the service was even worse. Took 20 minutes for our appetizer to come (reasonable), but then another hour before our entrees arrived. Without an apology or acknowledgment. We had to ask twice for our water to be refilled and were never asked how the food was (once it finally arrived). The mushroom blinis were actually pretty good. But the entrecot was overcooked, dry, and flavorless - and SMALL! I never complain about portion size, but a thin piece of steak with three fingerling potatoes hardly qualifies as an entree. My husband got the siberian pelmeni dumplings, which were ok, but not flavorful. Salt and pepper - and quality service - would go a long way here.
- Nice lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2014Really enjoyed the restaurant - my only minor complaint is that the service, while very friendly, was not particularly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/11/2014I liked it. Most of the traditional Russian dishes are on the menu, the ones I tried were well made, and were truly made the way someone would do them at home - i.e. you don't get a fancy Olivier salad you would get from a Moscow restaurant (beef, chopped parsley and dill, olive oil mayonnaise), you would get it as your Moscow aunt would have made it - bologna, sweet mayonnaise and carrots in a glass crystal bowl. Being from Siberia, I wasn't very impressed with Siberian dumplings, but that's understandable, what can you expect from people from Moscow ;))). The pickled tomatoes and sauerkraut with onions were top notch. All in all - a great place to have a few shots of vodka with traditional Russian zakuski (chasers).
- Birthday Party Funjack28Dined on 3/10/2014Went to Mari Vanna on a Monday night to celebrate a friend's birtdhay. Had an amazing time. Our server Alexi did a great job of describing the menu, he was very engaged the entire time. The food was awesome. The chicken keiv stole the show. We are all planning on going back. One of the best dining experiences ever. The decor was comfortable and homey. Lovely place.Special Features:
- Great brunchScaturicoDined on 3/9/2014Food was great for a buffet. Will definitely be back to try the regular menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit disappointedjmmbDined on 3/8/2014We had been looking forward to our second trip to Mari Vanna. I ordered the potato entree again, but this time it was just soggy french fries with very greasy onions and mushrooms thrown on top. What happened to the tasty little fingerling potatoes we had just two weeks prior? The waiter was very nice, but definitely distracted and there were loooooooooong gaps in between sightings of him. He never brought the platter of black bread, radishes, scallions, and salt. We did appreciate the rose and the glass of champagne for International Women's Day. Nice touch.Special Features:
- The reason I am giving thisSof3dineDined on 3/8/2014The reason I am giving this place a "Good" rate is that I felt the food was tasty but over priced. Cozy place. If you want to try traditional Russian food this is the place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.