7559 West Sand Lake Rd
Orlando, FL 32819Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americangymkhana.com/
- Phone: 4079852900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Raga offers three private dining areas, with seating from 15 to 250 guests. All rooms are private, have the ability for presentations with screens, mic and full sound available.
- Private Party Contact: John Pereira 4079852900x
- Entertainment: Raga will offer Indian inspired music, as well as Jazz and other World Class music.
- Special Events:
A word from American Gymkhana
American Gymkhana is an upscale restaurant and lounge that serves Modern Indian Cuisine and strives to give its customers the best food and service possible. Our menu reflects the diversity of India, steeped in the classics while offering touches of modernity. Our wine program is constructed to pique the interest of the novice yet be alluring to any enthusiast. Our service style emphasizes hospitality with knowledgeable and technically proficient staff. This contemporary restaurant offers a dining experience to satisfy all aspects of fine cuisine, wine selection, service, ambience, and atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
American Gymkhana reviews from OpenTable diners
- We went to Raga for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/24/2013We went to Raga for dinner last week. I had very high expectation after reading all the trip advisor reviews. The ambiance was really nice. However, the Chef definitely needs to improve the authenticity of the food. The quality of the food is very mediocre for a fine dinning experience. I had the expectation of Tamarind in NYC. I am sure they can improve and deliver a better quality. We need a fine dinning Indian restaurant like this in Orlando. Good luck.Special Features:
- Great Flavors - so so prep servicejoy6870VIPDined on 3/23/2013Overall the food was amazing - indian and pan-asian inspired. I ordered Chilean Sea Bass, which was wonderful melted in my mouth, however they did not do a good prep job removing the bones, and in a fine dining establishment this is not what i would expect. I pulled out 8 bones in 6 1-2" cubes pieces, normally a chef or manager would at least come by and apologize or give a beverage or something, all we got was an attitude from the waitress, so that part was not pleasant. The think that got me was that you could SEE the bones coming out of the fish..ummm anyone ever hear of fish tweezers? Other than that - everything else was amazing. The Mulligatawny soup was probably one of the best things I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- The service was absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013The service was absolutely horrible, but maybe it was just where I sat, the lounge vs the actual dining area. I ordered with my family and sat in the lounge. Service was very slow for us and other people sitting around us, but I imagine was fine in the regular dining room.Special Features:
- This was the second time eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013This was the second time eating here and both experiences were very enjoyable. The atmosphere is very nice and so were all employees.Special Features:
- This was my first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013This was my first time here any boy will I be coming back. The food was incredible. Such a variety of delicious treats for a reasonable price. Really a blessing with the atmosphere and decor. If you like Indian food. This is a must trySpecial Features:
- Excellent food but poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Excellent food but poor service. Waiters unattentive and in a hurry. Not Indian and so not very knowledgeable about Indian food. However, food is freshly cooked and excellent in taste and quality.Special Features:
- I would highly recommend Raga.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013I would highly recommend Raga. The food was not delicious and well prepared, but also have an appealing presentation. I liked that you could get your choice with your desired degree of spicy heat. The service was impeccable, attentive without being intrusive. The atmosphere was great. My husband and I could hear each other when speaking normal conversational tones, without hearing other people's conversation. The decor was tasteful. It's the prefect place for a romantic dinner or for party. As I was leaving, I thought that it was the perfect place for a wedding -- elegant yet warm and intimate.Special Features:
- Great food, best when entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013Great food, best when entrees are shared by everyone in the group,fun feast for all.Special Features:
- Amazing !!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013I never cared for Indian food until I went to Raga last night with a group of friends after we heard so much about it. Everything we ordered from appetizers to main courses was very delicious, sumptuous, and elegantly presented. My favorite was the lemon grass chicken, fish molie, as well as the chicken tikka masala. The bread was very fresh straight out of the oven (the tandoor). The main dining room was absolutely gorgeous. Service very attentive yet not overwhelming. They also have a nice private room which would be perfect for parties. I highly recommend Raga.Special Features:
- Worth a try!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/2/2013We have waited for a good upscale Indian restaurant for a long time and this could be it. The cuisine was not the typical fare one sees in most Indian restaurants and we had a a wide range to choose from. The presentation and quality of the dishes was good. However, we were taken aback when the take-out we ordered was brought to us in in a plastic bag as in a grocery store. This clashed with the elegance of the restaurant. These little details matter because an upscale restaurant must be attentive to the smallest detail. I would recommend the restaurant but would urge the management to take care of such matters that can leave a lasting impression.Special Features:
- Great food. Great waitress.GrasshopperVIPDined on 3/2/2013Great food. Great waitress. Awful cocktails! Hostess was a bimbo, greeted us at entrance and we told her we had reservations, she said one minute, came back 10 minutes later and asked us again how she could help us, so I repeated it, then said we would have to wait 20 minutes. I asked her so what is the point of making a reservation. She just responded with a dopey smile and shrugged her shoulder. They should fire this ditz! Made the experience at the restaurant not so enjoyable.
- I have been to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013I have been to the restaurant several times (and Wow'd) since they opened and was dissapointed with my visit this last time. They didn't have the entree that I first ordered nor did they have my wine selection. The dessert that they described on the menu as 'carrot cake' with cream cheese frosting was a small bowl of minced carrots with a sweet drizzle. Very very dissapointing evening. The waiter's response was apologetic but fake. He repeatedly stated that he was 'just one of the little guys' there.
- Butter Chicken to the rescue..OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/1/2013Service was hit and miss in the lounge (hint: maybe write things down). A/C was very cold for a chilly evening. Are the lamb kebabs supposed to be cooked to a temp or well done? I wasn't asked so I got well done. Butter chicken was excellent as usual.
- I had heard about it on aNRD1968Dined on 3/1/2013I had heard about it on a newspaper review. All the food was delicious! Service was great at the beginning, but he was triple sat or something and was hard to track down. The dessert was just ok.Special Features:
- Good food, second rate service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2013While the food has no 'heat' unless you ask for it (always served mild, but hot isn't hot), the flavors were very good. Some problems with the service, such as 3 orders of different naan breads being put into the same basket, and when asked which was which (they were for different diners)we were told, "you'll have to look and figure it out." We couldn't 'figure it out' so he grudgingly took it to the kitchen and had the chef separate them. Wait staff clearly having internal 'drama' during our stay. Atmosphere was pleasant, food was good, but the service needs some attention, if our visit was any indication. Attentive, but unprofessional. Since when does a server reach across diners and make them pass out dinner plates?Special Features:
- Early Sunday 5:30PM was aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013Early Sunday 5:30PM was a little lite on customers, hostess explained that crowd beganabout 7PM. She was very correct. Not that the other customers bothered us, but wemissed the wonderful aroma of other dishes.The two reviews of Raga I read suggested the appetizer of scallops dredged in rice flour.OK, but didn't deserve the reviews.But that did not matter when the entrees came.Fronter Pork Chop was absolutely the best lamb, meat, entree I may have ever enjoyed.The meat marinade and grilling were spot on. Unbelievable.Partner's rice dish with chicken was unique and delicious.I would love to come back soon.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, AMBIANCE AND EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our scallop appetizer. It melted in our mouth. It was lighly breaded, but didn't taste fried. I had the seafood kebob and was exquisite! My boyfriend had the lamb curry with basmati rice. We also had garlic naan bread. Everything was amazing. The service got a little confusing, 2 servers were trying to take care of us and they didn't communicate. Everything was amazing! I bought another coupon to go back!Special Features:
- Only complaint I had was thatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Only complaint I had was that the table for two put me too far away from my spouse.Special Features:
- Went there for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Went there for Valentine's Day. Raga has a nice Indian decor to it except they were playing R&B music which took some of the flare of the decor away. We were sat near the windows looking out towards Sandlake Rd, which isn't too bad except it was too dark and we could barely see the words on the menus. Even the waitress had issue with lighting. The main area look better with appropriate lighting and more activity. The vegetable entrees were excellent but the meat seems to be dry. I don't know if meat in an Indian restaurant is always cooked that way or not. But it was fun and I might go back if I can sit in an area not so dark.
- Raga Indian Restaurant ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We went for Valentine's Day so it was a limited menu. The food was tasty, we ordered the butter chicken and it was really good and the portion size was nice. The food came out way too fast, we were still in the middle of our appetizers when the entrees suddenly showed up. We had several servers and some were better than others. The restaurant gave one red rose to each woman in the restaurant and that was a nice touch. We were hoping to hear some Indian background music but the restaurant was playing top 40 music a little bit on the loud side. The restaurant is very large and a bit noisy like a banquet hall, it's not very romantic. The tables are rather large and I felt like I sat too far away from my wife.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedActumomDined on 2/14/2013Food was excellent. Order got a little messed up but got corrected with lots of apologies.Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013Went there the day before Valentine's Day to avoid crowds. We did avoid the crowd. The service was wonderful, and the food was excellent. Both my date and I loved our selections, and plan on dining here again.Special Features:
- Exquisite environment. DeliciousandivDined on 2/9/2013Exquisite environment. Delicious food and friendly service. Music did not fit at all. Some Indian music would add to the experience.
- I arranged for a group ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013I arranged for a group of us to meet for a special occasion, thanks to my daughters recommendation, and we enjoyed every minute of our experience. The drinks, food, ambiance and attention were all equally remarkable and I would definitely recommend trying Raga - we will be back!Special Features:
- Amazing food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Amazing food and service. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great food and friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2013Always friendly and great food. Franco is awesome.Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurant in shadesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/12/2013Beautiful restaurant in shades of white and ivory, outstanding, delicious food and wonderful service!Special Features:
- A Real Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013One of my richest dining experiences in Orlando. The Indian cuisine felt and tasted very authentic, accompanied with an intimate ambiance makes this restaurant my new favorite for a date night.Special Features:
- Raga has alot going for itself.mickeyd26VIPDined on 1/8/2013Raga has alot going for itself. I think after some time, they'll polish off the few flaws they have and become an amazing restaurant. The food was good, but not amazing. I'll come back again in a few months to see if it's any better than our first visit. I'm giving them 3/5 stars for now. As I said before, it was good but it wasn't amazing by any means.
- Nice newish Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/5/2013Food was superb! Butter chicken was some of the best we've had anywhere. Tandoori Lamb was very tender and delicious. Server was a little scattered (nervous?) but very nice and accommodating. Everything was well timed. Lighting seemed to be an issue in the area of the dining room we were in. Probably best to not try to adjust in the middle of dinner. Even after adjustment, It was too bright in the main dining area. Overall, excellent experience. We will be back.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2013Loved it, and I'm as picky as it gets when it comes o good food, and good Indian food is hard to find in Orlando.Special Features:
- The "New Year's Eve Party/Bash" waOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012The "New Year's Eve Party/Bash" was a complete 'rip-off'. You should take a lesson from your competition (TABLA). WE expected Raga to be even better. Its back to 'Tabla' in future for us.
- I have been to a lot of IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2012I have been to a lot of Indian restaurants and this one is on top of my list. Excellent excellent food!Special Features:
- kudos to the chef, all theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012kudos to the chef, all the preparations that were ordered tasted very authentic. The wait staff was very courteous. Food did take some time to get to the tableSpecial Features:
- Fantastic food. Best IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/22/2012Fantastic food. Best Indian food I have outside of India.Special Features:
- Don't miss Raga!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2012This was some of the best Indian cuisine my husband & I have had lately!!!Special Features:
- In need of Robert Irivine!JL84VIPDined on 12/21/2012The idea is fantastic. The execution needs quick help or Raga will be gone. The food that comes from the kitchen is good. The problem is that what you see on the menu isn't necessarily what's available (our waiter blamed this on multiple management changes and unwillingness to print new menus). It's a guessing game. Servers are professional and pleasant, but untrained on the offerings and hover to an uncomfortable extent (I'm all for white glove service, this wasn't that). The kicker: "This isn't stewed pineapple, it's kheer." "Yes, it is what you ordered." "No, it's rice pudding." "Well, not all dish components always make it. We've had many management changes and this is what happens. Actually, you're right. It's kheer."
- A lovely evening at RagaOmnivorousInOrlandoDined on 12/9/2012My family took me to Raga for my birthday dinner last weekend. The restaurant had been on my "must try" list since it opened a few months ago, so I was looking forward to the occasion with high expectations. I was not disappointed. Everything we tried was delicious (two appetizers and three entrees) and the servings were more than ample. In fact, we brought home enough leftovers that we were able to have another yummy Raga dinner at home the next night. Service was excellent and attentive and the setting was suitably elegant. I wouldn't call it "romantic" as the lighting levels were a little too high to create that sort of ambience. But for a classy dinner at everyday prices, Raga is a great choice. We all agreed we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fine dinining Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/8/2012Fine dining Indian restaurant has come to town at last! The food is excellent and the service is impecceable. unfortunately the night we went there was a private event. We were seated on the balcony, and the noise level was way too high. but othernthan that it was an elegant and lovely restaurant. Out tandoor sampler was perfectly done, the fish was fresh and delectable.Special Features:
- First time at an Indian restaurant.rhodaVIPDined on 11/17/2012First time at an Indian restaurant. Loved what we ordered. It is a beautiful restaurant with wonderful staff and food!Special Features: