Post & Beam
3767 Santa Rosalia Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90008Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Post & Beam
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://postandbeamla.com/
- Phone: 3232995599x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Soul food
- Executive Chef: Govind Armstrong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz on the Patio - please call restaurant to confirm dates
A word from Post & Beam
No stranger to the dining scene in Los Angeles, Brad Johnson’s and Govind Armstrong's venture, Post & Beam, is intended to bring warm hospitality, exciting, yet approachable cuisine and good times to the surrounding neighborhoods of the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. Brad has created memorable places since relocating to California from NYC in 1989. Remember Georgia, that was him, minus some of the gray hair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Post & Beam - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Post & Beam reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (31)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (17)great for brunch (16)special occasion (16)great for lunch (16)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Post & BeamDRWPDined on 11/16/2013Some girlfriends and I went to Post & Beam after a very lovely wedding, so we were all in a good mood and ready to enjoy ourselves. The place was busy, but not crazy busy, so we were seated right away (impressive), and given menus. The hostess and our waitperson were both very friendly and helpful. The food was served promptly after ordering - almost too promptly. As always, it was good. But the drink service was painfully slow. For both the alcohol with the meal (considerably after the food arrived), and the coffee with dessert (dessert was almost gone, and this is after we mindfully waited as long as we could). Perhaps another bartender would be a good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent as usualUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 11/15/2013We ordered pizzas which were really delicious especially the one with sausage and vegetarian one with mushrooms, onions and sweet garlic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post and Beam is fresh, deliciousStanVIPDined on 11/13/2013Post and Beam is fresh, delicious and absolutely a neighborhood gem. I love the shrimp and grits and the fried chicken is the best anywhere. Check out the fresh, hot cornbread and be sure to not miss the mac and cheese! YUM. I've been many many times and always am happy. The service is friendly but erratic - sometimes it's terrific, but more often than not there is a long wait for the food. But I love it and will be back over and over.Special Features:
- great as usualmrpjnlaDined on 11/9/2013it is so nice to have a restaurant of such high caliber in the neighborhood. the food was great and the service was excellent as always. keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Comfortable vibe & great foodannwVIPDined on 11/6/2013One of my favorite regular stops, have tried most everything on the menu and it is all good. Some ingredients grown in the garden in the patio, and some from local farmer's market. Service is warm and friendly, but never overbearing. A great hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMELAClassic55VIPDined on 10/30/2013Took me a year and some months to get here, however it was worth the trip. Excellent service and food.Special Features:
- Great mealPointhoarderVIPDined on 10/20/2013First time here. The braised short ribs and eggs were outstanding. The short ribs were moist and we'll seasoned. It was served with some of the best roasted tomatoes I've ever had. The shrimp and grits was also good especially if you're looking for something lighter. The deviled eggs with catfish were a great start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Give it a Second Chancelivnlife2Dined on 10/19/2013For the most part, the food was good. We had the Fried Chicken and various side orders. Although the chicken came to our table at a pleasing temperature, all of the sides we ordered were just under lukewarm. Not a fan of the bread pudding dessert we ordered to go. The service was friendly, but didn't feel genuine. Other than the mentioned issues, the experience was good and we will most likely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, relaxing vibeannwVIPDined on 10/17/2013Elevated comfort food, in a very relaxed & friendly environment. Short rib is great, salads and pizzas incorporate some veggies grown on the patio. Menu rotates, and I've liked everything I tried. This is a regular stop for us, and is highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great Spot in the HoodJones5026Dined on 10/11/2013For a first time experience, I loved it. The food was great I had the Pork Chop with Mashed Potatoes and Greens. The atmosphere was warm and energetic. The staff is very attentive. Overall a great place to to for a great meal that won't empty your wallet. And it's in the neighborhood which makes it even better. Next trip the Short Rib. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is excellentUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 10/5/2013The food is excellent. We lived it! Wine postings by the glass were not very generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great comfort foodHedgehogDined on 9/28/2013We were extremely pleased with our meal and entire experience from the very first greeting at the door. The staff were all very attentive and cheerful. I had the pork chop which was moist and flavorful, along with a side of Mac and cheese. My husband had the fried chicken which was done to perfection. Eating outside on a summer night was pleasant especially with the beautiful garden all around us. Our waitress was great. She was fun and talkative and just seemed like she enjoyed her work. Would go back again if we are in the area. Wish we had a restaurant like this where we live ( San Diego) we would visit every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, Love, Love! Great food,JPriceDined on 9/21/2013Love, Love, Love! Great food, amazing chef, Govind, and wonderful and attentive staff! Way to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great stylish southern soul fooddeliciosoDined on 8/31/2013We need more options like this in the food desert of Crenshaw/Leimert! This is a great spot, much obliged to Govind for bravely opening this spot for the underserved community. P&B would warrant repeat visits regardless of location, just glad it's down the street from us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerFuntimeDined on 8/23/20138 of my closest friends and I had a great time Friday night. The table was ready. Service was excellent. The food was delicious. We each had cocktails so can't comment on the wine list but the cocktails were great also! We all had a great time and with it being in Fe neighborhood too was a special bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere and service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2013Atmosphere and service was fantastic. Food didn't define itself. Can't say anything was fantastic but everything was solid. Had the pork chop and sides. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we needed.KinglexoDined on 8/18/2013I've grown up in So. Central L.A. all my life and when I was younger my mom would drive way over to where Post &^ Beam is now for the "better" choice of groceries and such. since then the community has changed had it's up's and down. Post & Beam proves that We can have what the other neighborhoods have a nice up scale restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drive!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2013We went to post and beam based in the great reviews on opentable. We loved it! Great food, friendly service and great ambience. Definitely want to go back!Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations2083Dined on 8/4/2013I came up on this restaurant by accident. I chose it for brunch this past Sunday and I was impressed. The food was amazing!!! The service was wonderful and I will be back and bring people with me. This is a fine dining experience w/o being stuffy. I've already told several people about my experience and they are going to try it as well!!! Kudos to the staff and the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, disco level volumedmunfyDined on 8/1/2013Food was very good, prices were very reasonable, and our wait staff was quite efficient and enthusiastic even when confronted with a party of 8. The ambient noise was so high that communicating with anybody at the table was challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findhuskyla27VIPDined on 7/27/2013Service here is top notch. The staff works so well together I wish other restaurant owners would dine here to see how service should be done. I haven't felt so taken care of by a server in so long it took me off guard. Food was great. The only reason I dropped it a star is that small plates are a bit of a double edge sword for me. I like the concept but don't think the pricing should be that of a regular entree for half the amount. Shrimp and grits was really good. As were the mac and cheese and cauliflower. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- A Perfect Evening!lcmcnairDined on 7/26/2013What a gem! This restaurant has it all. The food is delicious, the wait staff is polite and attentive and the ambiance is inviting. I came here on a date and we were seated on the patio near the fresh herb and vegetable garden. The menu had a variety of upscale soul food dishes with a twist and it was DELICIOUS! The pricing was reasonable too. Not to mention the chef/owners greet and mingle with guests on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/26/2013We had a great experience at Post and Beam. As a native Southerner their fine dining take on soul food was a special treat. Every dish we had was delicious from the deviled eggs to the shrimp grits to the cornbreak (thank goodness it was not sweet) to the short ribs. I have never really liked sweet potato pie but I absolutely loved theirs. Service was superb from beginning to end. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2013We had a very savory meal from start to finish. Everything was freshly prepared and plated to perfection. We were seated on time for our reservation and the service provided was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine LABeckyDined on 7/24/2013Went for the Dine LA price but ended up ordering off the regular menu for less. The cast iron chicken is absolutely wonderful. My no "foo foo" restaurant hubby was totally impressed. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Post and Beam was superb.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2013Post and Beam was superb. The wait staff could not have been better or more attentive and understanding (the person with whom I lunched had some major food issues/problems, and everyone was so accommodating). It was a terrific experience, and I'll be back for sure! As a huge fan of Brad Johnson's Georgia years ago, I'm also eager to try Willie Jane. I never got to Govind Armstrong's Table 8 and always regretted it, but I'm so thrilled he's represented in two wonderful places now. I've raved to tons of people and everyone wants to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2013The restaurant was advertised as being part of the Dine LA week and the reservation was made through that link. However, when we made the reservation for lunch on a sunday, they didn't have a Dine LA special menu. They only had their brunch menu. We were disappointed with this and it would have nice to have been notified of this prior to making the reservation. We were constrained with their sunday brunch menu that was breakfast-centric. That being said, their food is delicious. We started with the smoked catfish deviled eggs, which I love. I had their bacon and egg pizza which was really good. I look forward to returning for dinner for a more extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was well worth the visitDisappointedVIPDined on 7/20/2013Out of the way neighborhood for us, but glad we went as the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Short Ribs and mashedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2013The Short Ribs and mashed potatoes were divine! I'm not a huge fan of mashed potatoes but Chef Govind has made me a believer! Started with a small pizza for appetizer and wrapped with Sweet Potato pie topped with carmelized pecans. Insane culinary experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits and MissesCaliktDined on 7/18/2013Did DineLA for dinner. We had a reservation, and were greeted and seated right away. After waiting for almost 10 minutes, our waiter finally approached our table. He turned out to be very attentive and pleasant. The drinks were very good, but I was disappointed at the amount of ice that was served with my margarita. For appetizers, I got the catfish deviled eggs. Amazing flavor! My date ordered, the heirloom tomato salad, and although it was delicious, the portion size was very small-especially when compared to the size of my deviled egg appetizer. For my entree, I got the fried chicken thighs--great flavor and perfectly fried! My date got the salmon which was bland and he was lucky it was served with a sauce to add to its flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemGBerlladoDined on 7/18/2013I went here on a cool summer evening. I ordered the buttermilk fried chicken. There was no trace of oil on the chicken when it was brought to my table. The restaurant makes great use of the produce from its patio garden. This restaurant is definitely now in my regular restaurant rotation. I can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome oasisOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/17/2013Happy to Govind chose to bless us with this lovely oasis in the neighborhood. Wait staff was attentive but relaxed. Shared a wonderful dinner (loved the short ribs & sweet potato pie) with friends in patio. Can't wait to come back to try brunch and lunch menu. Evening was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatKimmiep16Dined on 7/11/2013Although my husband is a vegetarian and I don't eat beef, pork, and rarely chicken- we are always able to have full satisfying meals. It's worth us driving to the other side of town for a yummy meal.Special Features:
- Went for lunch. Tried theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2013Went for lunch. Tried the short rib sandwich and pizza. Good not great. A little disappointed.
- Saturday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/29/2013I went to Post & Beam both on Friday and Saturday night with 2 different people. Friday night was my first time there so Saturday night I wanted to bring my boyfriend. Friday night we had a wonderful meal and the service was fantastic. Saturday night, we also had a wonderful meal, but the service was terrible. We waited 15 minutes for a waiter. The restaurant was not crowded. In fact, there was as many people there as there was on Friday night. After he took our order it took another 15 minutes for the food to arrive and then the waiter didn't come to our table to check on how everything was until we were half way done. Two nights, two extremely different waiters. Friday night our waiter was amazing. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not up to par from whatgreat2lunchDined on 6/25/2013Was not up to par from what our friends said it was. A nice quiet for lunch and was seat as we arrived with rsvp with open tables. Need to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MeMoDined on 6/21/2013We chose this restaurant directly off the reviews, and it was a winner! the food was absolutely wonderful (cornbread, buttermilk fried chicken + cauliflower!) and we enjoyed dining on the patio near the garden. The service was exemplary, both the owner and the manager engaged us and our server and the staff were all were extremely professional and friendly. This was one of the best meals we had while visiting LA. I would go back without hesitation, in fact, i look forward to eating there again next year when i'm back in LA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our.lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/18/2013We really enjoyed our.lunch on the patio. Food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale SoulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2013What a gem! The vibe in this restaurant was right-on. There was an eclectic mix of people, and the food was AWESOME. We went for brunch . . . can't wait to do dinner. This one comes highly recommended to adults of all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceFoodLoverDined on 6/9/2013I booked Sunday brunch for my boss' birthday. He's a big soul food fan and he was beyond thrilled with everything! Thank you and I will be back.Special Features: