Oliveto Café & Restaurant
5655 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Oliveto Café & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oliveto.com/
- Phone: 5105475356
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm – 9:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jonah Rhodehamel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oliveto Café & Restaurant
Oliveto Café & Restaurant offers seasonal cuisine in the Northern Italian tradition, including wild game, fresh pastas, wood-fired pizzas and authentic vegetable and poultry dishes.Continued
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FOR THE DINING ROOM ONLY. WE DO NOT TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR OUR CAFE.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Oliveto Café & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Oliveto Café & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)special occasion (94)neighborhood gem (92)romantic (57)notable wine list (53)good for groups (27)great for lunch (24)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Fresh and delicioushktbklhDined on 7/11/2014Excellent Italian food, fresh pasta and rich sauces. Good wine selection and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- wonderful meal!RickBDined on 7/7/2014great food, lovely setting, wonderful experience, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyllmurrayDined on 7/6/2014Never ever had even a mediocre meal at Oliveto's. What else can be said.Special Features:
- tasty!yumciousDined on 7/3/2014The food here is flavorful, best to order small plates and share so you can sample and enjoy a variety. The atmosphere is friendly and warm, nice for a celebration, family gathering, or romantic dinner. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love OlivetoShopdivaVIPDined on 6/30/2014This is a neighborhood gem that we finally got to try. From their panzanella (bread salad) with grilled peaches and arugula, melon carpaccio and their pancetta wrapped rabbit each bite was like a little bit of heaven. Wonderful delicate flavors that compliment all aspects of each dish. The wine list is approachable and offers a nice variety of wines from Italy, France and of course California and Oregon. Our server, Anne was also amazing..professional, friendly and informative. It's refreshing when the servers love what they do and their passion for food and wine shines through in a natural and positive way. Applause to you Anne and chef for making our evening perfect! We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- outstanding qualitymarkVIPDined on 6/29/2014We love the Berkeley/Albany/Oakland area restaurants. Some of the best in the Bay Area. But I would rate Oliveto among the top. The upstairs restaurant seating is not cramped, so the noise level is hushed. The food is well prepared, flavorful, not too salty. Whereas we sometimes have hit-or-miss at places such as Lalimes, A Cote, Baywolf, Chez Panisse Café, Oliveto has been consistently excellent the 9-10 times we ate there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service; great locationRes2014Dined on 6/27/2014Olivetto is a great Rockridge place w A+ service. Most excellent for special occasions & groups. Also they really try to use local ingredients. Extensive wine menu too. The Russian River Sauvignon Blanc is most excellent. Delicious & excellently prepared beef too. Very, very convenient to Rockridge BART.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014They were very polite to me in spite of my raffish appearance (I work in construction and didn't have a chance to change). Sorry! One woman did seem to be very disapproving (not the server), but I understand completely. Thanks again!
- always different, always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014The menu changes weekly but it is never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemMaggiegirlDined on 6/25/2014Ouiet, lovely dining experience with an upstairs view down upon the Rockridge neighborhood, dining room has alot of natural light. Ask for a window seat. Delightful wait staff, good wine list and the food, oh the food. Italian old world flavors with a twist. Fresh peach panzanella salad was my favorite....still trying to re-create it at home. Delicious house made liquers to top off your meal.Special Features:
- Great for a quiet lunchMuffinmindDined on 6/25/2014The three-course fixed price lunch featured some unusual fare. We loved the excellent strawberry gazpacho. The pasta main course was cooked to perfection, in both the carbonara and pesto versions. We did not like the buffalo milk gelato with balsamic vinegar. The gelato by itself would have been OK, but the balsamic vinegar gave it a bitter taste. It was a pleasure to eat in a quiet, beautiful restaurant and be able to converse in a normal way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious and OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014Oliveto has a nice atmosphere but tries to fool you into thinking that just because food is served artistically and with small portions, it must be something special. It just isn't. Tiny amounts of nice-looking ordinary food at high prices are not offset by good service and ambiance. I came here only because I had a gift certificate and would not return.
- Authentic italianitalianoveroDined on 6/22/2014Oliveto has some great variations on authentic italian food, all the items we tasted were excellent. It has a manu that changes daily and serves fresh ingredients from local suppliers. The atmosphere is great, we didn't try the cafe/more casual part of the restaurant but will certainly give it a try in the future.Special Features:
- our favorite special occasionpollyDined on 6/13/2014Oliveto upstairs is our traditional special occasion destination. The food is fantastic and tremendous knowledge and effort have gone into choosing each ingredient. The atmosphere is elegant, relaxed and welcoming at the same time. It's a popular restaurant, but I can carry on subtle conversations with everyone at our table with no difficulty. Oliveto is truly a Bay Area treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2014We were repeat customers. However, we did not know that they had a special exotic fish menu. Had we known we would not have gone. 2 of the 4 of us ordered the very limited alternatives to the sea food and found the dishes unappealing. (Note. I am personally allergic to shell fish). 1 of the 4 ordered the salmon which she did not like. Only 1 of our 4 enjoyed his meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surfing the swells of seafood menu.hiccupVIPDined on 6/11/2014The Oceanic Dinners with an extensive variety of fish, and shell fish, many almost never seen was a joy to see and sample. Small barnacles, eel like hand caught fish, deep flavored choppino, soft shell crab to perfection. Want to come back and finish the whole menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ungenerous PortionsDiningGrammarianDined on 6/11/2014This was my second visit to Oliveto, and I remain unimpressed. The quality of the food was good, no better, but the portions size was scandalously small. Next time, when in the neighborhood, I'll try Bourbon and Beef across the street.Special Features:
- OlivetoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2014Excellent in all respects, just a treat to dine there.Special Features:
- enjoyed the food and serviceJaneDined on 6/5/2014brussel sprouts were tough and cold fish was excellent dessert was excellent staff and service were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysBarbDined on 5/27/2014Creative dishes and now a prix fixe lunch of 3 courses -- each couse just the right size and delicious. I find this to be an excellent place for business lunches as well as special dinners out with friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully sophisticated ItalianBayHolzDined on 5/23/2014Great food, perfectly located across from Rockridge Bart station, for arrival by Bart or to park in the Bart lot. Extremely good classical Italian food in the main restaurant upstairs, also more informal in Bistro downstairs. Food prices are good and quality great, wine prices a bit high but great selection.Special Features:
- Memorable meal, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/22/2014Oliveto is a special occasion destination for us; our 15th Anniversary dinner was wonderful. Service was impeccable and gracious. We appreciated the wine descriptions, help in choosing from the impressive offerings and care given to maintaining our bottle at perfect temperature. All of our food was delicious, but the agnolotti were pure heaven. Scrumptious/decadent flour less chocolate cake as celebratory dessert, accompanied by an amazing Guatemalan dark rum from the extensive list of after-dinner drinks. A truly memorable meal.Special Features:
- NiceDine1Dined on 5/22/2014Good service and food. The menu was clear and helped in our decision. The bar was so good we had two each.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2014Disappointed. The ingredients were good, but food was far too salty and over seasoned. Too bad, because service was impeccable, and ambiance was so nice. Have never left so much food uneaten. Wanted to like it.... Too bad.
- The following 1480 reviews are from the Oliveto Café & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent foodIan68Dined on 5/17/2014Our dining experience was excellent. The food was perfect and they accommodated our early arrival.Special Features:
- Added to our list of FavesOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I went to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and we were not disappointed at all. Everything was top notch. We will defintely add Oliveto to our rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gemSuzieDined on 5/16/2014Food was great. Vegetarians in our trio were delighted. Meat eater found humanely raised options. Our server was lovely. We lingered at out table for hours, it could have been Paris!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will keep coming backOmnivoreDined on 5/15/2014For the last 7 years, Oliveto has been our favorite go to restaurant when expense is not an issue and we will settle for nothing but really good food.Special Features:
- great as alwaysRickBDined on 5/15/2014lovely place, great food and service. Dinner always memorable at Oliveto!Special Features:
- fantastic food, great overall.eheartfoodDined on 5/12/2014We came for my mom's birthday and overall it was a wonderful experience. Our waiter was very knowledgable and the service was excellent. My only 2 gripes were that it was one of the rare warm evenings and it was too warm in the restaurant, which we adjusted to after a while. The other thing was that we ordered too many secondi dishes thinking that they and the main courses were going to be tiny, but they were not. A bite of a couple secondi courses along with your main dish is more than enough, one secondi per person was not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcVIPDined on 5/9/2014Excellent Pastas. Very consistent. Love to visit every time I am in Northern California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb meal once againandykVIPDined on 5/9/2014We had dinner for four. Excellent service, three great appetizers shares. Outstanding morell mushroom risotto, Farm egg in Carrozza with morell mushrooms, and finally agnolotti . Just great, and with a good bottle of wine. Wow. Followed by Spit Roasted Pancetta-wrapped rabbit with wheat berries, mousseron mushrooms etc and Charcoal Grilled Pigeons, we had two of each for our party of four. Other than the scary legs and toes of the pigeons this was just superb!!! Desert and cappuccino capped it all. A dinner to rememberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Time FriendAreteDined on 5/9/2014Oliveto after all of these years continues a level of culinary excellence and one can always count of finding several inventive, yet simple presentations. The only black mark during my most recent visit was what I will call "indifferent" service.Special Features:
- Great DinnerLoves2eatoutVIPDined on 5/8/2014We took our son and his girlfriend to Oliveto to celebrate a college award. The location of this restaurant is perfect--right across the street from Bart and at night there is parking in the Bart lot. The restaurant is small and charming. The food was excellent. The service superb. Beware that the portions are small so if you have a big eater with you, you may want to order a pasta and an entree. We had a window table overlooking the cute shops nearby. If you arrive early I suggest you check out the bakery and deli at Market Hall downstairs.Special Features:
- Great for a staff lunchDatamavenDined on 5/8/2014I took my small staff to Oliveto's for an end of the academic year celebration. We had a table by the window back in the corner--perfect. The food was very good to excellent. The only thing was that the service wasn't great--I had to ask for my water glass to be filled, and the waiter forgot that I needed cream and sugar for my coffee. If they fix that part, it would have been close to perfect. Oliveto's is a quiet reserved place, so it's great if you want to have a conversation. Not so great if you want a party atmosphere.Special Features:
- Special placeVeroniqueDined on 5/3/2014This our choice of restaurant for special occasions: it has everything. It is romantic & the food & wine list are terrific. It feels like a little piece of Italy!Special Features:
- lunch with TandyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2014I needed a perfect lunch spot for dining with an associate here on business from out-of-town. Everything was perfect, from the immediate seating, to the attentiveness of the waiter, to the quality of the food. We requested sharing dishes, and they had no problem with bringing extra plates. The arugula salad was perfectly seasoned and absolutely fresh; the cauliflower, lightly sautéed was an interesting, different choice for a menu item, and it was superb. The ambience upstairs was elegant, but not stuffy, and quiet enough that we were able to speak and hear each other quite well (not my experience dining during the evening). I would recommend Oliveto's for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with DaveLwkjDined on 4/29/2014Great food. Service was good. The only negative coment was we selected a wine from the wine list that you did not have, also no second choice either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very uneven ..HaroldVIPDined on 4/26/2014Sometimes a famous restaurant loses its focus and attention ..Special Features:
- Happy Dining ExperienceLongBeachFoodieVIPDined on 4/26/2014Our party of seven was well taken care of when we celebrated a birthday. We brought wine in from the wine shop downstairs at Market Hall. ($18 per bottle corkage fee). Everything from appetizers to dessert was fresh, locally sourced, delicious & beautifully presented. The service was gracious. It is delightful to enjoy the treetops & view of the hills with the longer daylight hours. Call the restaurant directly to book the private dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.