Roy's - San Francisco
575 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157770277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Aloha Hour: Sunday - Friday 4:30 - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nathan Payo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call For Details
A word from Roy's - San Francisco
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's San Francisco located in bustling SoMa, just two blocks from the Moscone Center.
We invite you to join us at Roy's San Francisco located in bustling SoMa, just two blocks from the Moscone Center.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roy's - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (12)romantic (10)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very DependableEimsaiyanVIPDined on 9/26/2013Having been to the Roy's in Hawaii I felt we had to see if the experience was commensurate so we decided to try it. While the food was certainly good, it didn't seem to be as extraordinary by comparison especially when compared against the plethora of other excellent options in San Francisco. That said, both of our meals were very good and the wine list was stocked with a few Napa Valley wines we had previously tried during our tours there which was a treat. At any rate if you are looking for a place you can expect to be good without being too adventurous you can rest assure Roy's will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's San FranciscoGo4SeafoodDined on 9/15/2013We had our anniversary dinner there. We had a corner table for ourselves - quiet for a good conversation. The food is as good as the one in Big Island. Glad that we can enjoy it right at home without waiting for the next trip to Hawaii. Service was good. They also surprised us with a "Happy Anniversary!" dessert .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's Anniversary DinnerCalPDined on 9/11/2013The minute we walked in they gave us our table after we were running a little late. We were celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary and when we opened our menus there was a letter congratulating us and was very special. The food and service was exceptional and everyone was very nice even moving things up as we had to head to a concert. To top it off we were very full after our meal and passed on dessert but were surprised when the waiter presented us with a mini 9th anniversary dessert to top off a wonderful evening!, First Class!,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our third visit toProBowlerDined on 8/28/2013This was our third visit to the S. F. location and we remain pleasantly surprised that our high expectations continue to be met. We had the pleasure to meet Roy when he still had his Manhattan restaurant and were saddened when it closed. Roy operates terrific restaurants and we wish him continued success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot for corporate & private diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2013This is my go-to spot in the neighborhood for a celebratory meal or an amazing happy hour. The food is always delicious and fresh and the service is outstanding. The prix fixe is a great way to enjoy a 3 course meal at a reason price. The main courses are outstanding (try the Butterfish or the Filet Mignon) and the desserts are amazing (the molten chocolate cake is to die for). Staff was attentive and professional. I would recommend this restaurant for a private get-together, a corporate event or to just grab an excellent happy hour after work!Special Features:
- Great place to eat!rkloepferDined on 8/22/2013Was suggested this restaurant by a co-worker, the food was great and it was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special event extrasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2013We went to celebrate a birthday, and they provided three special extras for the celebration (I won't say what in case you are going for a special event-I want you to be surprised!) They were quite lovely surprises, and it made things extra special! I was impressed by the amount of birthday extras and the care that went into it! The food was very, very good. The seafood was wonderful. Sides were unimpressive, but I was going for the seafood and felt I got what I wanted there-fresh and delicious! Service was nice. I was hoping for more of a Hawaii feel in the atmosphere, though. I've been missing Hawaii lately and wanted to feel like we were back in Hawaii, but it didn't really have a "Hawaii" feel in there, which I missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's a San Francisco treatmikey1946Dined on 8/15/2013In August I took my daughter and her family to Yosemite, Sacramento and San Francisco on vacation, In san Francisco we dined a Roys Restaurant and we had an incredible dinner. We all had different appetizers, entrees, and deserts, and all were wonderful. The Valet parking made it easy to get in and out for the downtown area of San Francisco would have been hard to park our rented suv. The only thing that I would change is that you should get a table upstairs away from the bar if you want to talk or hear the people you are with for it is VERY loud downstairs, but all in all its a great restaurant that features Pacific - rim and San Francisco mix of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerTiburonEaterDined on 8/13/2013We enjoyed a good meal but discussions across the table were a bit difficult. I would go back for a social meal. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always Roy's shinesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2013I have dined at Roy's on a few occasions. Every time I have felt like the experience has been excellent. Service, food and ambiance are world class. I highly recommend Roy's for a special occasion or business lunch/dinner.Special Features:
- A few dishes were too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/19/2013My wife found the soup that came with the Surf n Turf too salty. For the price charged, I was expecting better. The food tasted better a few years back. I've been to Roy's in Hawaii and the quality is much better.Special Features:
- A Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/19/2013Love Roy's Restaurant! Love, love, love, their butterfish and short ribs. Their is nothing bad I can say about this restaurant. Class act. Excellent food, great wait people, and very good drinks. Love their happy hour prices.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2013We went because we had a gift certificate. Glad we did or else we may have not come in. Good food, no complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time I eat at Roy'sFaireTheeWellVIPDined on 6/26/2013Every time I eat at Roy's I leave with a smile on my face and a very happy tummy! One of my all-time favorite places to eat. Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Great ServiceLaFemmecoVIPDined on 6/22/2013The staff was soooo nice and the food was fabulous. The signature drinks all sounded yummy but my waiter suggested a very tasty option that I can't remember now but I'm sure they all were good. I was in San Francisco on business and dined alone. It was a perfect place for dining by yourself as it was quiet and cozy. I'm not a picky eater but I tend not to eat in large quanties the chicken dish I had was in just the right portion so I could eat it all and not feel stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent. Not as good as in HawaiiOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/17/2013Food was just ok. Definitely not bad, and I'm glad that I went once to try it, but there is better food around. Nowhere NEAR as good as the Roy's that I went to several years ago in Kaua'i. So if you are a fan of Roy's in Hawaii, don't expect the same quality here. It's probably worth going to try it once, but I doubt it will become one of your favorites.
- Great Birthday Place!OriannaDined on 6/9/2013My friends and I went to Roy's to celebrate a birthday and between the appetizers at the bar and our dinner in the restaurant area it was a night we won't forget. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful and all of the food was amazing. I would recommend this place for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun fishcanadatouristDined on 6/5/2013I had the fish trio - the mahi mahi was great, and the salmon was excellent - this is a fun place to eat fish dishes cooked with a delicate touch and attention to detail. I would definately come again when in San Francisco, and I'm from Vancouver, so I'm not easily impressed re fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's is a GEM!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2013Roy's was our first stop during a recent San Francisco vacation. We had eaten at Roy's in Hawaii and loved it so much that we just had to try this location. We were graciously welcomed and seated right away. Our waiter was a young man who was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the entire menu. The food we ordered was perfectly cooked and well presented.... seasoning was just right as was the food temperature. You can't go wrong with anything that is served in this wonderful establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBinkDined on 5/29/2013Loved this place. Wanted to treat a special someone with a nice night out. Mission accomplished!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The happy hour at Roy's hasJockWuVIPDined on 5/22/2013The happy hour at Roy's has some great food choices at cheaper prices. Went here for dinner but decided to just order the happy hour appetizers. Service was pleasant and the atmosphere is upscale but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit disappointingAnneVIPDined on 5/21/2013This is not the first time I have dined at Roy's in San Francisco. I have been quite happy to eat there due to the fresh and interesting menu. However, this meal was uninspired. I had what passes for a ceasar salad with tuna. The tuna was great, perfectly cooked and seasoned. The greens were bitter and the dressing poorly flavored. My friends sandwich was huge and not very tasty. Overall a poor dinning experience for a city like San Francisco
- The waitress was great. OfferedOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/15/2013The waitress was great. Offered menu suggestions and was very attentive. Food was good and the presentation was lovely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatNickVIPDined on 5/15/2013I had the Salmon Salad. Okay, maybe not the signature dish but I really wanted a salad! THe fish was cooked right but the dressing, and I'm not one who likes a lot of dressing, but it was almost nonexistent! Made even a "salad" taste kinda dry!I would recommend this to a friend.
- At one point the food wasMoriDined on 5/15/2013At one point the food was inconsistent; however, in the several times that I've been there in the last 6 months, I think they've leveled off and the food is very consistent. Great Hawaiian fusion food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/14/2013we went there for a birthday and had a great time trying different items on the menu and sharing them. I am a big fan of seafood, especially the raw/rare kind. They had a great selection to satisfy many tastes and were very attentive even on a busy night.Special Features:
- Mother's day visit..OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/12/2013All of Roy's restaurants never dissapoint. Food is delicious,service top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAsianfoodtoluvVIPDined on 5/12/2013This has been my favorite place but in the last three visits the food seems to suffer from a lack of variety in the menu, boring menu. The flank steak was small in portion and lacked any flavor. I ordered medium to get it rare...food can be pricey and being as such the food has been disappointing. Celebrated Mother day and the old menu the occasion not as special. It was a let down...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived early so we justMarcoVIPDined on 5/12/2013We arrived early so we just sat at the bar and enjoyed the appetizers and drinks. we will return for dinner some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would like alittle less noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013would like alittle less noise ... perhaps noise absorbing materials place in main dining room... Very noisy when sharing with large groups parties. But overall very wonderful experience dining here....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Brunchjar321VIPDined on 5/12/2013Great time! Great food! Great Service! Great Mother's Day Brunch! Never disappointed when I go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new Fav!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2013We were looking to go to a new place to eat in the San Francisco and heard that Roy's was great place to start the night off! What great place,great staff,great food!Perfet food,We love Roy's don't miss this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2013I have never been disappointed by any dish. The chef sent an amuse-bouche to our table. It was a breaded shrimp with a mousse/pate and was very good. I ordered the Big Island Ebi Roll appetizer. This dish is wonderful. The shrimp is perfectly cooked and the cream cheese gives it a wonderful creamy taste. No one should fear this dish being hot or spicy - it is not. For dinner I had the Corvina Sea Bass. All I can say is ORDER IT!! Get it while it is offered. This fish is wonderful and sweet. If your someone who has been adverse to eating fish, give this a try. For dessert I had the Mango Creme Brulee and was nicely surprised at the wonderful taste. A unique twist on traditional creme brulee and it works well and tastes great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but Bad ServiceunhappydinnerVIPDined on 5/9/2013I ordered a green salad and asked for aspargus. The salad came and there was no aspargus on it. No problem it happens. Instead of adding aspargus our waiter came and said "Oh, no aspargus. Have your salad anyway and I will be back later". I was like what? Another waiter came by and said "Oh, no. There is aspargus on your salad. It is grated aspargus". I could not believe they would go to the extend of lying this much instead of say I am sorry, I will bring your aspargus right away. Simple and no issue.
- Highs and lowsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2013The highs were unfortunately counterbalance by some distinct lows. The butterfish was delicious, but the vegetables and rice that came with it were cold. The crispy lobster pot stickers weren't crispy, but the lobster butter sauce with it was yummy. The highlight of the meal was the chocolate soufflet which I will bring my granddaughter to enjoy sometime.
- superb serverjhenieDined on 5/1/2013we got seated with no hassle, the service is super and very friendly, the food is great and delicious the butter fish is best and the ahi tuna is classic, the best dessert i 've have is chocolate souffle. bit pricey but its ok its once a year that birthday comes. we had a wonderful time and really enjoy the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What can I say? Its a chainJenRecommendsVIPDined on 4/28/2013What can I say? Its a chain restaurant. We tried it because someone gave us a gift card, so why not? The dish we ordered ( the trio of fish samplers) was very good, the standout was the butterfish. But overall, its very overpriced. $35 for a fish dish is steep in my book. If you want to spend that much, I'd go to Waterbar instead. Again, good meal. Not outstanding. Was worth trying.
- The signature macadamia MahiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/28/2013The signature macadamia Mahi Mahi was not as good as in the past. All else good. But, strikingly attractive staff with attentive service made it a memorable time.Special Features:
- Expensive but worth itFoodieVIPDined on 4/27/2013Very nice ambiance. Restaurant is larger than the average San Francisco eatery and we appreciated not being squashed together so closely with other diners. Food is mainly from the sea but they have delicious land options such as short rib, and good dessert options. I enjoyed the "lifestyle" cocktails - skinny version of well-known drinks at 150 calories each. Would give five stars if it was cheaper. For a special occasion, much recommend this place.Special Features:
- We asked for a quiet tablePatriciaVIPDined on 4/25/2013We asked for a quiet table and really had a wonderful spot! Our waiter was very attentive and the food delicious!