722 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriapanevino.com/
- Phone: 6195957959x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Breakfast at 8am - Monday - Friday. Sat & Sun at 8:30am.
Lunch 11:00am Daily. Dinner Daily at 4pm until 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Osteria Panevino
Panevino… Bread and Wine… The essentials of life.Osteria Panevino's prime location in the heart of San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter is just minutes from the Convention Center and most major hotels. Spacious dining room features some of San Diego's most highly acclaimed Italian cuisine and the casual atmosphere of an Tuscan osteria. Complementing Osteria Panevino's cuisine is an award-winning collection of domestic and Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria Panevino reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (24)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (20)romantic (16)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (14)good for groups (11)great for lunch (10)hot spot (9)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Amazing service & house made pasta!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014My fiancé and I went there for happy hour and dinner before a catching a comedy show in the Gaslamp. Both the hostess and our waiter were outstanding; friendly and attentive. The food was piping hot and the service was fast. The pappardelle outstanding. We even got a special anniversary dessert. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service was iffyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Made reservations, Valentine's Day is a busy night. We were seated 30 minutes after our reservation with no apology. We were then rushed through the dinner, immediate order, courses coming out moments after each other. Why would I still give a good review? The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was nice. Its a welcoming place without being too stuffy or formal. Apparently there were specials for the night - we didn't know because we were never offered but I heard the table next to us be offered some great sounding daily entrees. Still, our burrata appetizer was decadent and memorable, swordfish with pasta was perfect as was spaghetti with clams.Special Features:
- Great night on Valentines!SDfoodDined on 2/14/2014A little tight squeeze but it was an awesome night and the prices were perfect! They also had a great South American Wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were outstanding.FirsttimerDined on 2/14/2014Food and service were outstanding. A great find for first timers...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TouristTontoDined on 2/7/2014Good service with pretty average food (even with the expensive entree). Salad dressing was probably to blame for the salad demeanor because the components were excellent. The $28 pasta seafood entree was sort of bland and the pasta was not al dente. Overall, I've had better Italian food at less upscale restaurants. There were no 'ahhh' moments.
- Tourist trapShoemacherVIPDined on 2/1/2014Expensive and not the quality expected for the priceSpecial Features:
- RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2014The food and service were excellent. Loved the wine. We ordered two different ravioli dishes. Both were tasty. Great ambience. I'd go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experience at OsteriaPaulDined on 1/29/2014The experience at Osteria was an overall excellent time. I entertained clients and enjoyed the food. 1st time here so I didnt know what tho expect. Service was terrific and the price for 5 people with drinks, appetizers, meal and desert was $75/person including 18% tip. Make sure to dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in the GaslampZBellaDined on 1/23/2014We enjoyed dinner on the outside patio area, which was very nice, warm, and had a glass barrier seperating our experience from all the activity along the sidewalk. The area is quite lively, and also quite noisy. Food was decent, but not the wow factor I was looking for. All in all, it was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Restaurant week calls to returnSVjbVIPDined on 1/23/2014Restaurant week calls to return to taste a wider range of the menu. The lobster ravioli were mouthwatering, as was the salmon. The setting was quieter inside and more raucous out on the sidewalk. Choose your venue. Expensive, but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableDinner4usDined on 1/22/2014Our Caesar salad "how a Caesar should be made" consisted of brown lettuce. Other than that our meal was great and the service was wonderful, We'd go again....but I wouldn't order the Caesar salad. This was an unfortunate first impression to our first dining experience here, but it was all made up for in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, balanced, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2014Wonderful staff of professionals who know their food and wine and communicate well. Seating was prompt and specials were excellent. Tiramisu is extraordinary.Special Features:
- Pretty goodGleeVIPDined on 1/4/2014Overall very good. Did everything good but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had the sea bass special andsdcrewDined on 1/3/2014Had the sea bass special and had an upset stomach all night long:-( Service was good and I liked the setting
- Nice Gem in the Gaslamp QuarterMIkeCDined on 1/1/2014Nice family atmosphere. We had our daughters 17th birthday dinner there and the food was excellent! Our server, Marco was fantastic! Very attentive staff all-around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointinglove2dineDined on 1/1/2014Everything on the men sounded yummy but what a disappointment. We were there for dinner New Year's day and they had specials that I swear were using the leftovers from New Years Eve. Terrible risotto that they smothered in mozzarella and baked in the oven. I had the ragu that was so bland it was pretty much tasteless.
- Great ItilianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/1/2014The atmosphere was nice and the food was tremendous. The wait staff was very friendly and the wine menu was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Years Eve mealEugenebrillDined on 12/31/2013The food was very good and the waitress was terrific! We sat on the patio and had a great experience. Little pricey.Special Features:
- Eh...GregVIPDined on 12/30/2013We had two meals here, first breakfast and later dinner. Breakfast was great all around. At dinner the service was outstanding but the food was kind of bland. Nice place, maybe it was just my dish?Special Features:
- Great Italian RestihosvannyDined on 12/30/2013This is a great italian restaurant in downtown San Diego. Good prices and really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great!JBCSDined on 12/28/2013We dine here on every trip to San Diego. It never disappoints and the food is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly FineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/28/2013I took the family here for lunch while in SD. Reviews were good and its location was perfect for us - right across the street from the movie theater we were going to. Cute place and not at all bad food by any stretch, but just not as good as the reviews made it sound. Wedge salad was bland, as was the fettuccine Alfredo - noodles were great but the sauce lacked something - salt, white pepper, or maybe nutmeg. My wife had the caprase panini - it was ok but was slathered in mayo - just not what she was expecting at an Italian restaurant. I wouldn't avoid this place but would definitely not make a special trip for it. It was fine - I just search for more than fine when we travel.
- A very nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013Had a good time in this restaurant. Food was excellent, the only negative being the decaf coffee I had with dessert-it was weak and flavorless. It was loud and i had a hard time hearing my dining companions. Service was great. I had the salmon and one of the salads and both were excellent. the bread was good and the lemon cello cake for dessert was also tasty. I'd go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Christmas DinnermybellDined on 12/25/2013We had our Christmas dinner here for the second year in a row. We loved the atmosphere, sitting on the patio and watching the hustle of people in the Gaslamp district. The food was delicious and comforting. The service was fantastic and they kept the delicious bread coming! We were very happy to dine here, even though we were missing our families back east.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic ItalianNikita1569VIPDined on 12/25/2013As a Brooklyn transplant living in San Diego, it was refreshing to find a classic Italian restaurant serving good, simple staples from home. The restaurant is beautiful, with an outdoor patio and beautiful decor indoors. There is valet parking for $10, standard for the Gaslamp. Servers seem to actually be and speak Italian! Great chianti from the extensive wine list. We started off with the mozzarella tasting and salumi board for the table, served with great bread, olive oil and vinegar. All of the pastas at our table were delicious and fresh. Great coffee, but might try dessert elsewhere. We will be back with more NYers looking for a taste if home for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastes just like ItlayCoppertopDined on 12/22/2013We ordered the olive and meat antipasti, delicious with a full bodied Zinfandel. Followe by a plate of the carbonara. We were pleasantly surprised by the nuanced flavors that reminded us of our recent trip to Tuscany. Delicious traditional flavors. We finished up with a refreshing dessert of melon and lemon sorbeto. Fantastic meal and lovely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a table of 5 and orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/22/2013We had a table of 5 and ordered lots of things to share, which I recommend. Everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Good Food-Eclectic ClienteleJerryODined on 12/18/2013Food is really great and you never know who will be sitting next to you. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starluv2dineDined on 12/15/2013I am so glad we made a reservation for this little restaurant, it was amazing, I loved everything about it, starting from the hostess who sat us right away, to our server Sabrina, she was very nice, attentive, and very professional. The food was amazing, the best raviolis I ever had. I cant wait to go back and bring my whole family here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of TuscanyLarryKDined on 12/14/2013We had the most wonderful dinner last Sat evening sitting outside at Osteria Panevino. I had not seen my friend for 30 years and he and his wife were visiting San Diego. The restaurant was the perfect locale - sitting outside is something we take for granted. Living in Philadelphia, they did not. The food and wine did not disappoint. The salads were delicious. The pasta unbelievably good. The Malfatti Genovesi - House made spinach ravioli stuffed with ricotta & spinach in a basil pesto sauce - exceeded all expectations! This was my first time here, having found the restaurant on OpenTable. It won't be my last..Special Features:
- We were an out of town groupthefridaygroupVIPDined on 12/14/2013We were an out of town group of 8 and had a great time. The service was outstanding. Most everyone enjoyed the food. Would not recommend the chicken with eggplant in white wine sauceSpecial Features:
- We have been to the otherPekiVIPDined on 11/24/2013We have been to the other Osteria, and will definitely return there, and not here, next outing. Our server was knowledgeable and a great waiter, but the food was just a shade above average, and the portions not that large. We felt the prices were high for what you get, but I am sure the rent in the gas lamp district is high.Special Features:
- 11/15/2013mplsdwVIPDined on 11/15/2013Excellent, excellent Italian restaurant. Northern Italy influence. Very attentive and friendly waitstaff. Waitress, a friendly and informative lady did a really nice job. Both of our orders were cooked perfectly. Nice presentation. Even the bread was good which we ate too much of. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for great Italian food. We will return to this spot when we return to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGrayCatFarmDined on 11/8/2013We were seated promptly, and service throughout the meal was attentive without being disruptive to good conversation. Tables were sufficiently spaced to allow conversations at adjacent tables to not be heard. Food was excellent ranging from ossobucco to sea bass. Nice presentation and food arrived at the same time. Great antipasto appetizer. Portions were quite large, and no attempt to up-sell. Cocktails were very good quality and wine list was informative for the non-oenophile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REAL GOOD ITALIAN FOOD!victoriaDined on 11/4/2013I'm from the East coast and we are known to have the best Italian food. Now I would have to say Panevino has the best Italian. I have been looking for a place like this! Ive been here acouple times and each time was wonderful. The service is always great and the food is always amazing. They have just started breakfast and it is the best! The breakfast pizza is my absolute favorite! They also offer bottomless mimosas!! Yes please!!! I will definitely keep coming back to this gem!Special Features:
- It is one of my "go to" placesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/2/2013It is one of my "go to" places when we come from out of town. I just LOVE it! the food is delicious, and the waiters are Italian, which adds to the ambiance.Special Features:
- NiceItalianoFoodloverVIPDined on 10/18/2013Nice restaurant located in the busy gaslamp district. Everything we ordered was excellent and the prices weren't too bad. The wine list could have been a little better, but all in all a very good experience.Special Features:
- Oldie but goodieLoude1chickVIPDined on 10/18/2013My husband and I have dined at Panevino for quite a few years now (almost 10 to be exact.) One of the best authentic Italian restaurants in downtown San Diego, right in the heart of the Gaslamp District. Even their servers speak Italian! One of my only gripes is the lack of space! On busy nights it sometimes feels like you're sitting on top of the people next to you and can practically join in their conversation. Other than that, this is definitely go to spot for REAL authentic Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the heart of Gaslamp District.DeniseDined on 10/18/2013While attending a conference we used open table rather than concierge for dining. Reviews were reliable and food was excellent. Location was ideal. Great patio dining with excellent seafood and pasta specials. Service was excellent and did not feel rushed as we enjoyed sights and sounds of Gaslamp District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good andJohnDined on 10/1/2013The food was very good and the service was excellent. The waiter was very attentive and courteous. I would recommend your restaurant to any and everyone.I would recommend this to a friend.