The Oak Table
1221 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Oak Table
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theoaktablesc.com/
- Phone: 8035635066x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Howard Stephens
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Oak Table offers an intimate and sleek private dinning space for up to 20 guests and prime views of the adjacent South Carolina State Capitol building. State-of-the-art AV and television equipment is available
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Tebeau 8035635066x
A word from The Oak Table
Located on the corner of Main and Gervais Street, The Oak Table offers guest a menu of classic, American cuisine served in a captivating space that highlights the best of both contemporary and traditional design. Inspired by its sister restaurants in Charleston, Oak Steakhouse and The Macintosh, The Oak Table will serve dishes that expound on the freshness of locally sourced, seasonal products. The focal point of the restaurant is a majestic aged wooden table, a reminder of the integrity of time-honored American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Oak Table - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Oak Table reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)fit for foodies (48)scenic view (45)romantic (32)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (18)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (14)hot spot (14)great for lunch (13)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Puts Columbia on the map!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014My how Columbia has grown up! This restaurant is a true gem - reasonably priced for its high quality food, preparation, ambiance and good wines by the glass. We look forward to going back the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise!CHT0001Dined on 3/1/2014I just moved the the area from Atlanta and have been missing its restaurant choices. I was excited to try Oak Table after hearing rave reviews. It certainly did not disappoint. This is a gem in Columbia. Right on Main street, with a great view of the State House. The cocktails were exceptional - very intricately designed. The appetizers were great for sharing, so were the sides. I went with a group and we all split several appetizers and sides so that we could try different things. Th service was exceptional - very attentive and our serve made excellent recommendations. I always appreciate a server who knows the menu. I can't wait to go back. I also want to try their Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhhhhBwmbDined on 2/22/2014We had been wanting to go for quite some time, and when we finally got around to a dinner date for our anniversary I was excited. I have to say I'm really not impressed. The food selection is pretty scarce, and not that good to be honest. Especially for the price. The beer selection wasn't impressive to the hubby, nor were the prices for the experience we had. We were hoping for a romantic dining experience but we were literally right on top of the couple beside up and the open kitchen. Needless to say, we can find a more romantic way to spend $100Special Features:
- Great dining experience as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014Food, service and experience overall were great as usual! We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemdiningprofessorVIPDined on 2/21/2014We had an entirely enjoyable experience at Oak Table -- outstanding food and service. Tilefish was perfectly prepared and accompanied with delectable delights. Our waitress, who is "living the dream," provided excellent service; her irreverence and positive attitude kept us engaged; her advice on the food was right on. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was EXCELLENT; service so-soMingo13Dined on 2/21/2014Food was outstanding. It was our service that could use improvement. My husband and I were catching up with an old friend in town on business and our conversation was constantly interrupted by an over-attentive staff. Maybe some patrons like to be doted on every few minutes, but we prefer an occasional non-intruding check on our table. At one point, three different staff members came to refill our wine glasses (out of a bottle already sitting at our table) in a period of 5 minutes - and our glasses were already full! Overkill. They didn't need to rush us along - there were plenty of open tables. We did express this issue to one of the managers, so hopefully this will improve. Service needs to be up to the level of their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning experiencePropserityGirlDined on 2/21/2014Overall, our dinning experience was very good. The server, Jessica, knew the food choices and made an outstanding recommendation for our dinner choices. They only 'negative' was the two seater table seemed very small. Otherwise, I would recommend The Oak table for a great dinning choice.Special Features:
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014Too expensive for quality of food. Change menu and price point.Special Features:
- Solid brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014My personal favorite place for brunch in town. Very reasonable prices for what you get. Everything is fresh, well seasoned, and well presented. As a chef in town, I know shortcuts and complacent technique when I see it. There is none to be found with their brunch. If the staff is hungover, they do a masterful job disguising it.Special Features:
- Wonderful imaginative foodmander3427Dined on 2/16/2014You can always tell when a kitchen really enjoys what they do. Oak Table is one of those places. They have a new and inventive menu that never fails to impress. You can go to expensive restaurants and get upscale boring food but you will never get that here. I have never had anything I've ordered not taste great. Oak Table is always my go to for special occasions! Don't pass up the truffled fries! They are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014I found the meals overpriced. My steak was delicious but I have had a similar steak at another local restaurant for $15 less with sides I was also expecting more steak choices. We did like the atmosphere. But I would have a hard time recommending to friends bc of costSpecial Features:
- Great meal..ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Went to Oak table for dinner and the food was great. However, they need to improve their service. The waitress did NOTHING to explain the menu and wasn't friendly. We then waited 45 minutes for our meal after we placed our order. Will definitely go back again, but when I'm paying these prices I expect the service to be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in ColumbiaTom1Dined on 2/14/2014Outstanding restaurant with great night view of the Capital building! The menu changes each day based on fresh local products that are available. Highly recommend when in Columbia SC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDonnDined on 2/5/2014Food is good is good but not great for the price. Need to work on the lighting. Parts of the dining room are well lit but where we sat flashlights definitely required to read a menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, service weakColaEaterDined on 2/1/2014Great view of the state house, sleek style welcome change to Columbia. Service weak and scattered. Had reservation, arrived early to have drink at bar, hostess said we could be seated whenever, at time of reservation, no tables available, waited additional 20-30 min for table. Bartenders/staff arguing, inattentive, overheard service staff complaining about patrons, bathrooms were dirty, littered with paper. Out of many menu items, steak and fish selections very weak, chicken and pork selections better but not unique. Wine list excellent, speciality cocktails were unpleasant tasting, but the liquor selection was great. The ambiance/view excellent but service and food did not live up to expectations for sleek upscale fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Nothing to write home aboutCarolineDined on 2/1/2014Overall The Oak Table was a disappointing experience. The menu looked intriguing but the flavor was lacking overall. Columbia, SC needs a healthy dose of "fit for foodies" competition. I file this one under "a miss."
- Perfect!LuvlakemurrayVIPDined on 2/1/2014for a weekend dinner out with friends-service was not very quick, but then we really didn't want it to be. We were catching up and enjoying old friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchluvsushiVIPDined on 1/26/2014Very accomadating for my friend's birthday brunch. The food was delicious and our server was excellent. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIQUELY UPTOWNOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014The State House and grounds, softly illuminated at night, are stunnng from the restaurant across Gervais Street. And, that sets the mood for unusually creative starter menu. Entrees were appealing, and hard to choose, ultimately the tile fish dish was a combination of flavor, and perfect execution -- available in similar preparation elsewhere, but an outstanding preparation and presentation. My dining companion chose the pork chop -- my taste was succulent and flavorful. The wait staff was friendly, personable, but not hovering. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not quite what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2014Considering the hype, I expected an incredible meal. The Eggs in Purgatory was good but nothing special. My husband was disappointed in the quality of the Reuben brunch option. The Maple Cinnamon Roll appetizer had a delicious flavor, but the bread tasted stale. I loved the ambiance and service, so I will return, but it will probably be for a cocktail after work rather than for brunch.Special Features:
- AmazingSakacaDined on 1/19/2014I enjoyed ever second of my brunch at the Oak Table. From the time we stepped into the restaurant we were greeted by smiles and amazing attitudes. The food was amazing and the bottomless mimosas were delicious. I will be coming back again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week patronSoutherntouristDined on 1/18/2014Of course, we understood it would be a busy time. We arrived 5 minutes early for our reservation and were shown right to a table with a wonderful view of the state house. Service was a bit slow, but we did not mind. The problem was the food. A creamy onion soup would have been even more delicious had it been served hot. We ordered fried lobster, which turned out to be drenched with a soggy breading, unappetizing. The dishes were served with bland mashed potatoes. For dessert, an apple-calvados dish was totally lacking Calvados, and a chestnut dish did not have any chestnut flavor.Special Features:
- Outstanding new Columbia restaurantJohnDined on 1/18/2014Tried the Oak Table for 1st time during restaurant week, and will definitely come back to try the regular menu. We enjoyed all 3 courses, consisting of a creamy pistachio onion bisque for starters, Tile Fish for entre, and bread pudding for desert. Looking at the regular menu, we want to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomelovequickDined on 1/17/2014Great upscale dining experience. Food was great, view was perfect and the music was amazing throughout the entire dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went during restaurant weekKCRDDined on 1/17/2014Went during restaurant week and 3 of us had the special three course meal. All three entrees were outstanding. I am a seafood lover and pretty critical, but my Tilefish was absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. The onion bisque soup and Fuji apple salad were tasty and different. Dessert was good but probably the least impressive course - we had butterscotch bread pudding. The restaurant week menu was a great value at $33 for a restaurant of this caliber. Great meal and evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. I had theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/15/2014Food was great. I had the trigger fish with you kin gold potatoes. It is a little priceySpecial Features:
- Perfect Date Night and MealEmpytnesterdinerDined on 1/15/2014We have had lunch at the Oak Table but never dinner. We wanted a location close to downtown where we work and to the Township where we were attending a performance that night. The Oak Table fit both criteria. It also happened to be Restaurant Week so we took advantage of the special menu and pricing. We both choose different items for all 3 courses so we could sample each others and I want you to know that all the items were perfect. It was hard to say what we liked the most. Our waitress, Rachel, was spot on in her timing, knowledge of the food and bar items and would love to have her serve us again for our next visit. She also told us about the Brunch which we can't wait to check out. Oak Table is simply perfect in all criteria. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Dining at the Oak TableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/15/2014I greatly enjoy the dining at the Oak Table. The decor is impressive and welcoming. I have dined at this restaraunt on several occasions, lunch and dinner. I have booked the private dining room for lunches for my professional association members as well. The food is excellent and always presented in a very appetizing and creative fashion. The staff is extremely friendly and eager to please, especially Jessica. Jessica and the chef seem able to accomodate any specail requests, even if for my vegan friends! I look forward to the next opportunity to visit the Oak Table.Special Features:
- Great Place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2014The service was excellent and so was the food. We had the tile fish and is was cooked perfectly. Portions were perfect size as well. We will be going back. I have also been for lunch with colleagues and everyone enjoyed the meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dine-inAshTorrDined on 1/13/2014A group of 4 (2 couples) so we decided to try Oak Table especially in light of Columbia's annual Restaurant Week. What a great choice! Each course was served in a relatively timely fashion and the service was great. Friendly but not overwhelming. Half off bottles of wine on Mondays and they have a great selection. The onion bisque and butterscotch bread pudding were definite favorites, as was the patté! We had a fantastic time, great place for a special date or double date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/12/2014The Oak Table is a great restaurant in Columbia. They have very unique dishes and wonderful presentation. I will definitely be frequenting them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best New Restaurant in ColumbiaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/11/2014Great food, lovely view and outstanding service. Oak table has reised the bar for every other restaurant in Columbia.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekjpfoodieDined on 1/11/2014I visited the Oak Table for the first time during Restaurant Week. The service was great and I had a nice dining experience. However I was slightly disappointed with my main course. I ordered the risotto and it was not as good as I was hoping. My friend ordered the pork chop and I will say it was good. Overall I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pork chop on thebrooksrgDined on 1/10/2014Excellent pork chop on the Restaurant Week menu; bread pudding is also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always interestingLanedDined on 1/10/2014There are a few restaurants in town that offer an interesting menu. Oak keeps putting on new and creative options for the foodie in us all. We had 6 in our group for restaurant week. Four chose the set menu with the pork chop option, it was fabulous. One person got the soup, delicious, might have been one of the best things on the table. The salad with apples, lardon, candied nuts and apple slices with an apple dressing was enjoyable. The veggies were scarce but tasty and cooked well. We had interesting chestnut budino with whipped eggnog cream interesting and good; the bread pudding was fabulous. The service was excellent. I would also recommend their brunch. My only hesitation is that it was cold at our table by the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Tier in ColumbiaXEagleDriverDined on 1/10/2014Greatly enjoyed a Restaurant Week 3-course deal at Oak Table and was impressed across the board! Superb service, fantastic farm-to-table centric fare expertly prepared, large wine list cuts across most tastes and budgets. Fish, thick cut bone-in pork chop, salads and sides were all wonderful, concluded with Best-on-Planet bread pudding. Only small nit was our booth was a bit on the dark side lighting wise, tough on these aging eyes ;). Absolute recommend, we will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014I've eaten at The Oak Table on many occasions, but was intrigued by their Restaurant Week lunch offering, since most of the restaurants participating don't do a lunch special and at $15, this was a deal. I ordered the white truffle grill cheese, and the combo of white cheddar, smoked gouda, fontina and mascarpone made this cheese addict a very happy girl on a cold rainy The match stick fries and cup of mushroom bisque topped it off nicely. My friends ordered the other Restaurant Week specials, the Crispy Chicken, and the Oat Table Brger, and all were equally happy and full!Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/9/2014Excellent downtown Columbia venue. Wonderful dining view of the Statehouse. Everything we had (salad, soup, main course and dessert) was excellent. Portion sizes are average, although the soup portion seemed small relative to the price. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner, great winesmartbaldandfunDined on 1/7/2014Had a terrific time at the Oak Table. Our server was knowledgeable about the wine list and food offerings. My dish included local City Roots kale, which I enjoyed very much. Highly recommended for a romantic or quiet business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine list; people areOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/27/2013Good wine list; people are often afraid to order chicken at a nice restaurant, but the smoked half-chicken was very, very good!Special Features: