107 D Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themonocle.com/
- Phone: 2025464488
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: Lunch 11:30am to 3:45pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm and Bar service 11:30am until closing. Open weekends for special events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Hector Toyos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Soft Shell Crab Festival...coming soon later in April. Local Soft Shell Crabs prepared three ways. with rocket salad, as a sandwich with chipotle mayo or pan roasted with pinot grigio & citrus butter sauce-toasted sliced almonds.
A word from The Monocle
The closest restaurant to the Capitol building,United States Senate and Union Station, The Monocle is not only known as a Washington institution, but also for its fine American cuisine. You can always count on being served great crab-cakes, grilled fresh fish, steaks and chops, while enjoying the powerful political scenery. The private room upstairs is a Washington classic for private parties and political fundraisers. More than 6 please call 202-546-4488 since NOT accepted by open table reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Monocle reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (19)neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (12)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Everyone in my party reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/17/2013Everyone in my party really enjoyed the choices on the menu options for lunch time meals and knowing that such a great restaurant is within walking distance from our office.Special Features:
- Locale and building was lovely.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/15/2013Locale and building was lovely. Food pedestrian. Staff were really good
- Overdone filet mignonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2013All steaks ordered were over cooked, had to send back
- Ready to recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/11/2013Monocle is a fine place with excellent food and good management. I truely love Monocle, and am quite ready to recommend it to my buddies.Special Features:
- Wonderful place. So glad itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2013Wonderful place. So glad it has survived all these years!Special Features:
- Charming Dining ExperienceFoodieVIPDined on 4/4/2013We have dined at the Monocle several times and each time is a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Lives up to its reputation!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2013This is a wonderfully old-school, historic gem of a restaurant! Warm and gregarious service from a veteran staff of professional waiters, honest cocktails, and a solid, unpretentious menu of classic dishes prepared with care. I had the 20 oz. bone-in ribeye, and it was perfect..one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Go here for the history and the authentic sense of place, not for cutting edge cuisine, but you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Just good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2013This establishment is rather overrated in my opinion. We were there on what appeared to be a relatively slow evening based on the number of empty tables at a prime dining hour. Our waiter was quick to take our drink order, but extremely slow to take our dinner order. This restaurant serves your standard steak house fare. They had a couple seafood dishes, and a vegetarian pasta dish. My date had the filet mignon and I had the NY Strip. Everything was good, but I think the fantastic reviews of food and service had me expecting a lot more of this Capitol Hill institution. It was just good, not great.Special Features:
- Perfect BirthdayoccasionalsplurgeDined on 3/27/2013We came here for my birthday and it was beautiful. Reasonably priced fine dining with an atmosphere geared towards conversation. I love this restaurant. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- It's an old line WashingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/27/2013It's an old line Washington restaurant from 1960, but it's owned by a businessman rather than a chef, so it has great potential.
- Insider's View of DCOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2013Around the corner from the Capitol, the Monocle attracts many political figures, government workers, and lobbyists. For tourists, it yields an ambience of the insider. An intimate and politically themed estaishmenf, the Monocle provided a perfect compliment to our day on the Mall. Our waiter was charming and attentive. Food was very good. Wine list could be expanded.Special Features:
- Monocle means great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2013Monocle means great food, a feel of being in a place of importance and Nick, who never forgets a face or name.Special Features:
- It's a top spot on the Hill,SluckerDined on 3/12/2013It's a top spot on the Hill, where you can enjoy classic, wonderful cuisine for a professional meeting or a romantic dinner. The owner and restaurant have a strong history on the Hill and a very friendly approach to service.Special Features:
- We LOVE the Monocle!NovaLuluVIPDined on 3/9/2013My friend and I had dinner there last Saturday night. The surprise was that they are usually NOT open on Saturday night, but had booked a large birthday party. We have gone to the Monocle for YEARS because we LOVE IT a lot! The owner, John, is attentive, the manager, Nick, remembers everyone's name -- even if he hasn't seen you in years! The staff is professional and friendly. The food is always good, no matter what you order. We both had a Paradise Salad, Filet Mignon and asparagus. Delicious, every bite. If you go during the week -- particularly Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday -- when the Congress is in town, you're likely to see some Congressional big-wigs in for fundraisers or just to have a quick lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner, close toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/5/2013Excellent dinner, close to where we had spent the day working. Thanks for the great food and for taking care of us, luggage and all!Special Features:
- Capital Hill TreasureOnceAYearRegularVIPDined on 2/27/2013Monocle is one of my favorite DC dinner locations. Excellent choice of menu items with their steaks being my faves. Service is impeccable. I showed up with 2 more than my reservation, which they quickly resolved by putting us into one of the small, private dining rooms upstairs. My group of 8 greatly enjoyed this special treat. Wine list is excellent. All in all, one of the best.Special Features:
- Crab cakes are outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2013Crab cakes are outstanding. Filets were out of this world,cooked exactly to order. The service was fantastic as the food was served very quickly. The server was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely a place to revisit. Make reservations as it is very popular.Special Features:
- A great hot spotSgb1Dined on 2/25/2013John, the owner, and Nick, the manager made us most welcome. Great management and service at this gem of an icon restaurant.Special Features:
- Kind of snobby, but still awesomeMikeVIPDined on 2/14/2013It's a little "Oh look who's that?", but still solid otherwise.
- We had a great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We had a great experience! The food was outstanding! The rib-eye was cooked to perfection. For appetizers, I had lump crab and avocado and my partner had the shellfish bisque and both were excellent. Loved the asparagus and creamed spinach. We also enjoyed the fast service and ambiance.
- "The Monocle" is 5 stars onOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013"The Monocle" is 5 stars on all accounts. It's a classy restaurant with great food and a great wine list at a reasonable price. The owner of the establishment came over to our table to say hello and to make sure we were enjoying our meal. Even after you leave, you are still left with that fine dining experience. And who knows... you might bump into your favorite Congressman and Senator while there!Special Features:
- I ordered the steak medium,RoastbeefVIPDined on 2/14/2013I ordered the steak medium, which was my mistake, but it was really medium well. There was little to no pink showing.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD! GREAT SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/14/2013EXCELLENT FOOD! GREAT SERVICE VERY EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing crabcakes and shortGeorgette84VIPDined on 2/12/2013Amazing crabcakes and short ribs. And Great services.Special Features:
- A Definite MustOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/8/2013Wonderful experience. Loved the roasted oysters and steaks rival the best in town. Superior and friendly service, lots of history. A definite must for anyone visiting the Nation's Capital!Special Features:
- One of our favorite DC restaurantsDCwoman1Dined on 2/8/2013One of our favorite DC restaurants with a history and special but comfortable ambience. The food never disappoints.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed the ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2013I really enjoyed the ambiance. My husband and I went to the restaurant with another couple and we had a great time. I enjoyed the food with the exception of my steak. I ordered it medium and it was closer to well done. I'm sure if I go another time, the steak will be delish!Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/6/2013The food and service were both excellent and it was a wonderful spot for a delicious dinner.Special Features:
- Iconic restaurant on Capitol HilllucysfriendDined on 2/6/2013We tried out the Monocle on Capitol Hill for restaurant week because Zagat had rated it as one of the top six iconic restaurants in DC. It is very unique in it's color, design and focus and we enjoyed the atmosphere. Being so close to the Capitol it must be a very crazy place at lunch time. It was quite busy on the night we were there (Wednesday). All tables were taken, with a party going on in the bar, which probably made it noisier than usual. All food was served piping hot! The filet mignon was good but not memorable; the shrimp w/linguine about the same. The green pea soup (not as flavorful as it could have been); lettuce wedge w/bacon, excellent; creme brulee, excellent; cheesecake, just okay.Special Features:
- The food was a pleasant surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/6/2013The food was a pleasant surprise. Not overly elaborate but tasty and well presented.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2013Went on a Monday night. The place was pretty empty. The ambience really isn't there - almost felt like being in a big hotel meeting room. The food was very good, portions on the smaller side, but the menu is extremely limited and they offered no specials. I heard they are a big lunch place for the politicians so maybe that is their focus??
- Enjoyed this Capital HillOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/23/2013Enjoyed this Capital Hill spot for a business lunch; not sure I'd frequent otherwise but it was a good experience. I would definitely go again if in the area and looking for a lunch time meeting spot.
- This a great place on CapitolJanefrommaineVIPDined on 1/20/2013This a great place on Capitol Hill. The Maitre de and servers are friendly and the atmosphere is fun if you are a political junkie. The food is unpretentious and reasonably priced. Went there the night before the inauguration and it was a quiet oasis.Special Features:
- Historic restaurant with manyDMGAKVIPDined on 1/20/2013Historic restaurant with many photos of legislators part of the decor. Great location close to Union Station on Capital Hill. Old fashioned service with waiters in gold vests and interesting insider D.C. stories. Food, OK. Worth the visit for the experience.
- I love The Monocle!occasionalsplurgeDined on 1/18/2013Washington's hidden treasure! Love Nick and the gang at The Monocle. They mad our Inaugural guests from out of town feel like a million bucks. Great place for happy hours and networking. Great for a romantic date. Great for special occasions or groups. Definitely will come back again. I've never had one issue with food or service quality. I love The Monocle!Special Features:
- What can we say? The MonocleDowntonDined on 1/18/2013What can we say? The Monocle is the epitome of a great restaurant. The service was outstanding. The wait staff was impeccable and the food was delicious. During our Inauguration weekend, we could not have selected a better restaurant steeped in such history and elegance.Special Features:
- This was a wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012This was a wonderful place to spend New Year's Eve! Great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Ambiance, night time parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Ambiance, night time parking all super. Food was great but not "wow". Greatest dissapointment was the decline in service when various congressmen arrived...they got most if the attention/service. Critical mistake...my tip went south because of that. Had to find my own coat - again, service shifted. As a paying customer it was assumed my dollars were less - big miscalculation. Won't return even though up to that point I was thrilled.Special Features:
- Fun Spot in the CapitalOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/28/2012Delicious food with great atmosphere. Some glimpse of famous politicians didn't hurt!
- A place for politicals toErininEasternMarketDined on 12/27/2012A place for politicals to see and be seen -- the maitre d has been around forever and has some great stories. Good food, friendly service, great drinks.