107 D Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themonocle.com/
- Phone: 2025464488
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: Lunch 11:30am to 3:45pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm and Bar service 11:30am until closing. Open weekends for special events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Hector Toyos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Special Events: Soft Shell Crab Festival...coming soon later in April. Local Soft Shell Crabs prepared three ways. with rocket salad, as a sandwich with chipotle mayo or pan roasted with pinot grigio & citrus butter sauce-toasted sliced almonds.
A word from The Monocle
The closest restaurant to the Capitol building,United States Senate and Union Station, The Monocle is not only known as a Washington institution, but also for its fine American cuisine. You can always count on being served great crab-cakes, grilled fresh fish, steaks and chops, while enjoying the powerful political scenery. The private room upstairs is a Washington classic for private parties and political fundraisers. More than 6 please call 202-546-4488 since NOT accepted by open table reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Monocle reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (19)neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (11)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- A little expensive for lunch.OTvipNdcVIPDined on 4/29/2008A little expensive for lunch. A place to see Members of Congress, their staff, and top lobbyists.Special Features:
- It's the perfect "close inOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/24/2008It's the perfect "close in to the Capitol" business lunch place.Special Features:
- Our reservation was for dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/16/2008Our reservation was for dinner, but I've been there for lunch, which is better. Noise level is high, but this is a Capitol Hill watering hole with much back-slapping and table-hopping, so you go in knowing that. In spite of the fact that we had booked weeks early, we were seated way in the back, by the kitchen door. Plate clattering and kitchen noises were unsettling. The food is consistently good, but I feel as if the portions are getting smaller.Special Features:
- I am regular at Monocle, andDCMRobbyVIPDined on 4/16/2008I am regular at Monocle, and usually have no problems with service; this day however, that was not the case. Even with reservations, we waited a long time to be seated, and the it took forever to just get beverage service. The food is always worth it. The wait staff is consistently friendly and attentive. Perhaps this day was an exception. It won't stop me from going back, but day I had a business lunch and invited others to "impress" them with my Monocle friends. The food impressed, but the service did not. I still love the place and will go back again, but may do with hesitation depending on why I'm going there for lunch!
- I met a friend who came toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2008I met a friend who came to town on Amtrack and we wanted to get lunch. We had a great experience and wonderful time. Didn't feel a bit rushed. It was great.Special Features:
- Location to the U.S. SenateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/16/2008Location to the U.S. Senate makes this restaurant perfect for business lunches.Special Features:
- I have dined here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/15/2008I have dined here many times and it is always an enjoyable experience. The liver nad onions is the best I have had dining out.Special Features:
- Reliably good food that isOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/9/2008Reliably good food that is nothing imaginiative or fancy. Even us foodies enjoy a no nonesense Greek salad. Good place for a business lunch where the staff understand about when to leave people alone and when to offer service.
- A wonderful value for theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2008A wonderful value for the price, which is competitive with other Capitol Hill restaurants, and the food is much better quality and attention to detail than most.Special Features:
- Warm greeting. Attentive service.JucearoDined on 4/3/2008Warm greeting. Attentive service. Rounded menu. Great food.Special Features:
- I always enjoy eating at theJED3Dined on 4/1/2008I always enjoy eating at the Monocle. Defintely a political "to be seen" place. The folks there are very friendly, although the service sometimes lacks. I do enjoy the menu and the space.Special Features:
- The perfect representationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008The perfect representation of a restaurant that embodies "The Capital" area of Washington, DC with outstanding food and service.Special Features:
- Thank you for a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2008Thank you for a wonderful dinner. Everything was delicious, and the service superb! Although I am embarrassed to admit I do not remember our server's name, he was from Greece and couldn't have been more attentive or more charming. Bravo!Special Features:
- Amazing food!! specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2008Amazing food!! special treatment if you are a Hill staffer. Great wine list as well.Special Features:
- good food and great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2008good food and great experience for restaurant week. would go again with coworker, supervisor or conservative family member.
- I love this restaurant! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/15/2008I love this restaurant! Great food, service ... and there's always an interesting group of people. It's always full and the atmosphere is very cozy, but without making you feel uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Our server was amazing ...KyleeVIPDined on 12/31/2007Our server was amazing ... one of the best we have ever experienced. He was charming, helpful, and kind. We to the Monocle for an early New Years Eve dinner (2007). The restaurant was quiet that night, which lent to a romantic atmosphere. The food was very good. But, the service is what really stood out. I will return.Special Features:
- Great location near the Senate.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/20/2006Great location near the Senate. Overall, a good spot for Capitol Hill business meetings and events. Mediocre menu and food.
- Great food, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/30/2006Great food, fantastic service served in a hall that should be considered another landmark! We will definitely be back!Special Features: